Looking for Mommas with ADD/ADHD... - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-25-2008, 04:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyFriday View Post
It takes a lot to kill those eggs. I hope they are dead, but I wouldn't count on it. Did you try using a flea comb? I have had really good results with that. Now that I'm thinking of it, I don't know if it actually gets the eggs out (can't remember....) but it definitely works...

OK I think it works because when you comb it out every day, after a day or 2 you're catching only the really little lice (took me a while to figure out they don't come out of the egg full grown, they are little tiny black lines first, then a bit bigger). And they never get a chance to grow up & lay eggs, so even if you left all the eggs there, as long as you comb out the baby lice before they can reproduce, they go away.

That is such a difficult time in the meanwhile though. I hope you get rid of them soon!

I never saw this cool smiley before ~~ : I like how the flowers bounce on their stems for a second.
oh sweet jesus please no.

I cant find a flea comb. i went to a huge pet store and only chemicals!

they bounce, LMAO. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 08:29 AM

Ruby, : about the smiley. I always crack up at the tongue on this one: :

My body is MESSED UP. Usually it's a chore getting in bed before 2 or 3, but last night I was out by 11. So now I'm up at 5.

I've been playing with my vitamins to see what actually helps, because I've been feeling better. I'm feeling a little more in control of myself and getting more done. Hopefully when my parents come in tomorrow () for Thanksgiving, they'll behave themselves and the visit will go well.

Until then, though, I need to be cleaning. It always feels like my mother is doing the white glove test whenever she comes to the house. I said screw it after Toby was born, but especially because of the depression, I want that control this time.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

transformed- maybe you could mayo every other day? Kill the baby ones as they hatch? My grocery store has flea combs in its pet secion, I'm pretty sure. And How do I know this? I ask myself, since I have no pets? Just another one of those things that I shouldn't have noticed, but did. :

smeisnotapirate- Here's good vibes for your cleaning frenzy- :

AAM- those flowers crack me up too. I am going to be a better momma today, I can feel it. :

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Old 11-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Banned

I am a mom that is very disfunctional if things are not in order! I also have had this sense i was real small. We didnt know what it was called till i was 17. I have gotten worse with it as ive gotten older! The best way i have found to help me is to just find a prayer closet and pray on my bad days! Like today! Im about to loose my mind! My childrens ages are 9 months to 5 yrs! Yes i know 4 babys in 5 yrs time. The first and last was born the same month only about 12 days diff. On your crazy days all i know that works for me is to drop everything and go pray that God will give you peace through your hard times. Im headed to my prayer room now! Lots of love and i pray for peace for you.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:27 PM

Oh, my friend, you are not alone. How am I supposed to take care of my family when I can barely take care of myself?

I'm pushin' 40, completely ADD. I'm not at all H.
I have DD almost 5, who may very well be ADHD, and DD2, who's 1 and mellow. DH has his own issues, dyslexia, addiction to his band (good guy though).

I'm not medicated, though I have always used crutches. For a while it was boys, then alcohol, and boys, Diet Coke, then I had to ditch the beer when I developed an allergy. I switched to chocolate ice cream. Let me tell you, it can be a crutch. I've mostly traded in the ice cream for yogurt to lose some weight, and it's working. I still want my emotional fix of chocolate ic though.

I can't get the bills paid. Even when there's money in the bank. What is up with that? But there often isn't any money in the bank because I'm to nutty and buy things (little things) impulsively. And I'm the one responsable for the money. Scarey.

I almost failed school, then fared much better in college. The format was different, it worked for me. I'm really much, much better than I used to be. I've learned that one screwdriver, that I always put away, is better than one in every room. I am able to pack my kid's lunch now, she only goes three days a week. That was an adjustment, getting my act together enough to do that.

Okay, I'm going to stop now. You get the picture. Life is frustrating. I'm very creative, and generally optimistic and happy. I'd love to chat about the frustrations of ADD.

: ) C.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy81 View Post
I am a mom that is very disfunctional if things are not in order! I also have had this sense i was real small. We didnt know what it was called till i was 17. I have gotten worse with it as ive gotten older! The best way i have found to help me is to just find a prayer closet and pray on my bad days! Like today! Im about to loose my mind! My childrens ages are 9 months to 5 yrs! Yes i know 4 babys in 5 yrs time. The first and last was born the same month only about 12 days diff. On your crazy days all i know that works for me is to drop everything and go pray that God will give you peace through your hard times. Im headed to my prayer room now! Lots of love and i pray for peace for you.

weeellllll. . . I only have one closet, and it's full. So I guess I'll just have to keep praying on the go!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Old 11-26-2008, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Happythoughts!

You gave me an idea- since most of us have a very creative aspect, why don't we share them?

What special things do you do, like, to keep your hands busy, or otherwise occupy your self when you're jumpy/have nervous energy?

I clean sometimes, to burn energy.
I crochet, and I'm learning to knit
I can fold paper stars
I used to put tiny tiny braids in my hair when I was a teenager, just for something to do.
I paint my toes

I like to learn new things, like alphabets, and I doodle

Which reminds me, DS1 said 'hot noodle' yesterday!

Anybody else?

Niemals Gewalt
Old 11-26-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialworkmamma View Post
Also I would hyperfocus on something, time would pass and nothing would be done. I also think lots of women are not real cool with coming to a house where there is laundry on the couch and lots of unfinished projects. Then again maybe it's my own "shame" issue with feeling like I don't measure up in the "womanly" arts of housekeeping, etc.

Ohhhh how this so fits me Unfortunately I have no DH to help and be supportive. I am a divorced Mom working full time and trying to raise 2 daughters and keep up with the house, bills and everything else in life. It is a constant struggle but have to say Adderall helps soooo much. Although after having been on it for the last 8 years or so it doesn't seem to be working at well as it did in the past. I am already at the highest dose that they recommend therefor will be talking to my Dr. about maybe switching to a newer medication and see if I get better results from that.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

momwithallmyheart-is adderall a stimulant? I haven't tried concerta, but I've heard good things about it.

Niemals Gewalt
Old 11-27-2008, 12:03 AM

Yes Adderall is a central nervous system stimulant. It affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to hyperactivity and impulse control. I am not physically hyperactive but my brain is very hyperactive and occasionally have major impulse problems. Impulsiveness isn't an all the time problem seemed to be more when I was stressed or depressed though. My major problem is horrible focus and concentration but with periods of intense hyperfocus where the house could be burning down and I would never know it. Tried Ritalin and it did nothing for me. Was actually on Concerta for a couple years and it did good also but not as well as the Adderall had in the past. After my divorce I no longer had health insurance so I was off meds for about a year and a half but started back up again this past June and since I am paying out of pocket for it the adderall was actually less expensive and since I had such good results in the past the Dr. put me back on it. However is just doesn't seem to be doing as well as it did when I was originally one so will talk with Dr. about switching back to concerta or try one of the new ones out there.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Banned

Oh gosh i aint getting back on no drugs! I was on em when i was young and it messed me up worse than when im off cause i cant remember to take em anyways!!! ROFL
Old 11-29-2008, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momwithallmyheart View Post
Yes Adderall is a central nervous system stimulant. It affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that contribute to hyperactivity and impulse control. I am not physically hyperactive but my brain is very hyperactive and occasionally have major impulse problems. Impulsiveness isn't an all the time problem seemed to be more when I was stressed or depressed though. My major problem is horrible focus and concentration but with periods of intense hyperfocus where the house could be burning down and I would never know it. Tried Ritalin and it did nothing for me. Was actually on Concerta for a couple years and it did good also but not as well as the Adderall had in the past. After my divorce I no longer had health insurance so I was off meds for about a year and a half but started back up again this past June and since I am paying out of pocket for it the adderall was actually less expensive and since I had such good results in the past the Dr. put me back on it. However is just doesn't seem to be doing as well as it did when I was originally one so will talk with Dr. about switching back to concerta or try one of the new ones out there.

Oh, I'm with you on the implusle control problems. . .: And one time my house almost DID catch fire, and neither my Father or I noticed it! A candle melted out onto the top of a stereo speaker, and the wax caught fire. My dad, who als has ADD, didn't notice and neither did I, for a minute or two anyway. Than I saw it and ran out to the kitchen an popped a hugeglass bowl over the top of it, and the flames went out.

Even when I'm done nursing/having babies, I'll have to do some serious soul searching before trying meds again.

Niemals Gewalt
Old 11-29-2008, 01:26 PM

Hi Mamas,
I just found this thread.

I was diagnosed with ADHD by a learning psychologist (who did a full assessment and also diagnosed a LD) about 4 years ago. I never have tried pharmaceuticals, though he strongly recommended them. I am fortunate to have compensatory gifts (which is also probably why I never received a diagnosis in public school).
With kids, though, it's very hard. I do find myself constantly losing things. Others get confused by my definition of 'losing' something.I have some guidelines about this. If I don't know where something is, it does not mean it's lost. It means I don't know where it is. Other people I know seem to think that if they don't know where something is, it is lost. But not knowing where something is is an every day occurrence here. It's not lost until I can't find it after I've looked for a good week or so. Then I'll start to consider that it might be lost. Can anyone relate to this? Right now I don't know where the second set of car keys are. It's been several days. I still don't think they're lost. I know I just have recrossed the place I was the last time I had them. And I know it's no use trying to remember.
I'm trying to implement more routine and order in our lives, but it's not who I am. It's very hard to do. I also never had any of this growing up, so it's even harder becasue sometimes I can't even imagine what this would look like.

I am very grateful for the "H" of my diagnosis. I can do anything for a short period of time, and do it phenomenally well. I can do a course in 2 days, and often do because by the time I get around to doing it that's all I've got left. And I do the course, and write the exam and do well. Or the paper. Or that whatever assignment. So, so, so grateful for this, as stressful as it is at the time.

I feel like I constantly need stimulation of some kind. I wish I could turn off and 'relax' sometimes. A bath is stressful for me because it's boring and I have things I need to do.
Well that's all for now...the baby is up.

4 kids under 10
Old 11-29-2008, 02:16 PM

My parents left - and not one disparaging comment about my religion! :

They were kinda jerks otherwise, but I'll take what I can get. It was a good visit, all in all.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

smeisnotapirate- I'm glad they behaved, sort of! How'd the turkey come out? You did like, 2 dry runs, right?

sanguine- Hi Hi! Hello and welcome. I know what you mean about doing anything for a very short period of time. The problem is when I have to sustain my performance, take for instance, housekeeping. . . :

I was told I developed compensatory techniques when I was diagnosed, too. I don't think you can get to 18 w/o developing some, especially when very high standards are required of you at home. I discovered that the emotional cost of bashing my head against walls like that is too high. Some things I can DO, but it takes SO much effort, that it burns me out for everything else, YK?

I've kind of made peace, and decided that if my baseline is 'goofy' and I excell in a few areas, that people will be more likely to accept that than trying to be stellar all the time, and then people wonder what happened when I foul something up grandly, which I do with alarming frequency.

and baths are only relaxing for me if I have the water ashot as I can stand it, a cup of cocoa, or glass of wine, candles, and a good book. In other words, as stimulating a bath as possible! Oh well......

Niemals Gewalt
Old 11-29-2008, 08:36 PM

Heidi, the turkey ROCKED.

We should do turkey again sometime! :

Old 11-29-2008, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Ha! Maybe later!

I am desperately trying to keep my eyes open, waiting for DH to come home. I CANNOT sleep, not with two kiddos to look after. It's dark and late, and we already ate supper, and I'm ready for bed.

I may have to give Henry his Saturday night bath, just to create some interest around here!

:yawning: I'm going to have to have some coffee, out of self defense. . .

Niemals Gewalt
Old 12-01-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
Hehheeehehe. . . Sometime I'll tell you a story about Squirrel Pot Pie and a very arrogant prissy woman from our church!
Oooh, sounds entertaining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
would it make you feel better or worse if I told you I felt like that a good deal of the time...??
Heidi. Me too. I've smacked Elisabeth's leg a couple times, and I hate spanking. I really hate how impatient I've become since being pregnant. Yikes. I was ready to call DH and say come home and help, and he had to take the work truck for an oil change, so he walked in, the store is across the high school football practice field from our apt, I was like, "OMgracious, thank You, Lord, for sending him! Honey, I needed you badly!"
I ran and took a shower, and it helped. You can call me, even if you have screaming kids. I don't mind. I should call someone. I hit the doorframe accidentally, was swinging my hand around angrily and bruised my knuckle so I thought I broke my finger, for a little while.

I should try taking some more supplements. How do you figure out what to take?

Oh, for crafty stuff, I make a skirty, it's gorgeous, and a bunch of babylegs this weekend at IL's. :

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
Old 12-01-2008, 01:58 AM

Hi ladies, just popping to see how you are,and share news...

I made the leap and have started taking Adderall. I'm about 2 weeks into it so it's definitely on-board.

My stomach has not loved it, so far. I noticed a significant change in my focus right away. I feel slowed down, actually, which I still can't help finding somewhat humorous just because so many people I used to party with back in the day PAID for the stuff so they could get sped up and high. I find myself wondering if the way I feel/focus/etc while on Adderall is how "normals" feel?

Immediately began doing better in the stats class, and felt very thorough during the exam on Tues. Anxious to see how I did.

House is getting cleaner and staying cleaner, and when I notice something needs doing, I just kinda do it and get it done quickly... without the usual inner monologue of "How long will it take? What will I do afterward? What's this? Oh, I remember this... I got this at the... that was a fun day... Ooooh! What's this? OH YEAH! That was amazing... Do I need this, yeah I might need this later... where should I put it? This is gonna take forever... I give up..." Got dd's closet purged in 90 minutes (3 big boxes and 2 bags of 12 mo-3T clothes she can't wear) and working my way to the office... the mother of ADHD project-focus-impedement.

Dinner is made less...mostly because I have such a sick stomach and no appetite. But THEY get fed!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:01 AM

I am kind of irritated right now guys. My dh, who was diagnosed adhd as a child, almost 20 years ago has a family that likes to make him feel ashamed when he doesnt remember a birthday.

Tonight, his mom called him and said 'your dad's waiting up to go to bed waiting for your call I think. (For his birthday)"

Sometimes his sister grudgingly reminds him of someones bday but usually like the day before and not enough time to actually do anything.

I am so pissed that mental illnesses are so inconvenient to people like we are just "lazy." or "uncaring" or"worthless"

I'd love to give his mother (who spent her whole life raising an adhd child and should know better) a piece of my mind. :
Old 12-01-2008, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
I am kind of irritated right now guys. My dh, who was diagnosed adhd as a child, almost 20 years ago has a family that likes to make him feel ashamed when he doesnt remember a birthday.

Tonight, his mom called him and said 'your dad's waiting up to go to bed waiting for your call I think. (For his birthday)"

Sometimes his sister grudgingly reminds him of someones bday but usually like the day before and not enough time to actually do anything.

I am so pissed that mental illnesses are so inconvenient to people like we are just "lazy." or "uncaring" or"worthless"

I'd love to give his mother (who spent her whole life raising an adhd child and should know better) a piece of my mind. :
Dh's family has some of this, too. He has lived under the burden of this passive guilt-trip stuff for 34 years. He has major inadequacy issues as a result of having been cultivated as the "black sheep" who has "so much potential" which I hate hearing because the underlying implication is that he just isn't good enough... he could be, if only he would x y z. Ugh.

How do you support him in the face of their fundemental rejection of reality?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrennaMama View Post
I noticed a significant change in my focus right away. I feel slowed down, actually, which I still can't help finding somewhat humorous just because so many people I used to party with back in the day PAID for the stuff so they could get sped up and high. I find myself wondering if the way I feel/focus/etc while on Adderall is how "normals" feel?
Yes, I think so LOL

this is how I was convinced by a friend who is also a special ed teacher to try it initially - if that's what is needed it will work. immediately. if it isn't, it won't.

in fact, as you noted, it will produce the opposite effect since it *is* a stimulant

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 12-01-2008, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
that likes to make him feel ashamed

Yes, exactly this. Although I do have trouble calling myself mentally ill, at least where my ADD is concerned. The depression, and anxiety, I have to be truthful with my self about, and call a spade a spade.

I have had trouble, especially with people I have to be responsible too, labeling me as lazy, or careless. I got careless written on my report card 5 or 6 times every single marking period. It kind of gets seared into your brain after a while, and you stop trying..

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrennaMama View Post
Dh's family has some of this, too. He has lived under the burden of this passive guilt-trip stuff for 34 years. He has major inadequacy issues as a result of having been cultivated as the "black sheep" who has "so much potential" which I hate hearing because the underlying implication is that he just isn't good enough... he could be, if only he would x y z. Ugh.

How do you support him in the face of their fundemental rejection of reality?
Yup yup yup. . . My worst enemy is my own potential. It hangs over me like a black cloud and I know I'll never fulfill it. Not in this society anyway.

Here's an interesting quote,

"In my opinion, the ADD brain structure is not truly an abnormality. In fact I beleive a very good case can be made that it is not only normal, though in the minority, but may well be a superior brain structure. However, the talents of the person with ADD brain structure are not those rewarded by our society in it's current stage of development. In other words, the problems of the person with ADD are caused as much by the way we have our society, educational system, and the business methods organised as by other factors more directly related to the ADD itself."

Paul Elliot, M.D. (italics mine)

I know sometimes people have said to me, 'how do you remember all that stuff?'. I don't know, but I remember whatever it is at the expense of remembering where my car keys are, or compulsively buying things like butter, flour, paper towels, etc. . .

AAM- I had a very nice weekend, DH has been home, and we baked cookies on friday at my gram's house.

Niemals Gewalt
Old 12-01-2008, 10:40 PM

I'm a little stupefied.

Walked out of the house this morning to a Franklin Covey box on my doorstep. Had my name on it, paid in full, FULL of organizing supplies.

No card, no return address, nothin'.

I think it's from an aunt or something for my birthday (later this month), but I'm not sure. I'll have to ask around.

But now I have over $175 worth of planner and organizing material! :

Old 12-01-2008, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

no shaft of light, no angels singing?

Boy am I jealous. To bad a secretary didn't accompany it, huh?

Niemals Gewalt
Old 12-02-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
no shaft of light, no angels singing?

Boy am I jealous. To bad a secretary didn't accompany it, huh?
I know! No burning bush!

Yup. A PA would be nice. Maybe HE could hold the baby while I go pee, because heaven knows DH doesn't see the point.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:16 AM

hey ya'll. I have my first therepy session tomorrow (officially for bi-polar and depression) but I am so excited to set some goals to help me function better.

What do you all wish you could get some tools to improve on?

Who has been dealing with ADHD for a long time and been through professional medical stuff to deal? What's the objective?

I belive there is a chance of me either having adhd and depression, OR bi-polar disorder. I just really really connect with all of ya'll and many many issues here.

As I am observing myself more for adhd like symptoms I am finding so many things from my childhood popping into my mind and thinking "It's so obvious! And it
s ALWAYS been there!"

Wish me luck.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:24 PM

mamas - can I ask here... do any of you who have your children on ritilan find they are waking up ridiculously early to eat? I think it has to do with the fact that the meds suppress his appetite but today he fell & broke part of the pantry at 5 am climbing up to get something off the top shelf. he could have been seriously hurt - plus he woke the whole house up...

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 12-02-2008, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I know! No burning bush!

Yup. A PA would be nice. Maybe HE could hold the baby while I go pee, because heaven knows DH doesn't see the point.

'no burning bush!' :

As for your DH- maybe if you wet yourself, he'd take you seriously?

Quote:
hey ya'll. I have my first therepy session tomorrow (officially for bi-polar and depression) but I am so excited to set some goals to help me function better.

Who has been dealing with ADHD for a long time and been through professional medical stuff to deal? What's the objective?

I belive there is a chance of me either having adhd and depression, OR bi-polar disorder. I just really really connect with all of ya'll and many many issues here.

As I am observing myself more for adhd like symptoms I am finding so many things from my childhood popping into my mind and thinking "It's so obvious! And it
s ALWAYS been there!"

Wish me luck.
The objective is to control your symptoms, and work with you to develop strategies for functioning in everyday stuff.
Here's prayers for your journey of discovery. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
mamas - can I ask here... do any of you who have your children on ritilan find they are waking up ridiculously early to eat? I think it has to do with the fact that the meds suppress his appetite but today he fell & broke part of the pantry at 5 am climbing up to get something off the top shelf. he could have been seriously hurt - plus he woke the whole house up...
One of the PP on this thread mentioned something about ADD and chronic low blood sugar, maybe that has something to do with it? I know I would wake up starving in the middle of the night as a teenager, and sometimes it would happen in my sleep. I'd know because in the morning I'd find glasses of chocolate milk hidden in my closet. I wasn't on any meds at the time.

Niemals Gewalt
Old 12-04-2008, 06:09 PM

Re: the low blood sugar piece... I have a nasty case of hypoglycemia and have observed that my friends and family with ADHD also have issues with blood sugar. Sometime I wonder if our brains burn through complex sugars/protein faster...

Quote:

s ALWAYS been there!"

Wish me luck.
My objectives throughout my life in therapy and self-directed behavior modification have always been the same: to own myself, be accountable, and manage my behavior and feelings in a way that will help my relationships and activities prosper. I HATE feeling out of control, and I feel that way often... I counter it by affirming to myself that I am lovable, kind, talented, intelligent, and capable. Then, if that fails to get over the hump of self-effacement, I reach out for support.

User Tag List