Looking for Mommas with ADD/ADHD... - Page 15 - Mothering Forums
First ... 5  13  14  15 16  17  ... Last
Parenting > Looking for Mommas with ADD/ADHD...
heidirk's Avatar heidirk 07:02 PM 12-10-2008
^ you're still welcome to hang out with us! A friend of mine has bipolar 2. I hope the new meds work well for you!

Well, the car is totalled. So, that just further complicates my already complex existence, because DH will need my car. We are going to try not to get a replacement, b/c we can't really afford to.

So, smee- we could probably all 4 come to candle lighting on a Sunday, or Saturday if it doesn't screw up shabbos for you.

smeisnotapirate's Avatar smeisnotapirate 09:54 PM 12-10-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
^ you're still welcome to hang out with us! A friend of mine has bipolar 2. I hope the new meds work well for you!

Well, the car is totalled. So, that just further complicates my already complex existence, because DH will need my car. We are going to try not to get a replacement, b/c we can't really afford to.

So, smee- we could probably all 4 come to candle lighting on a Sunday, or Saturday if it doesn't screw up shabbos for you.
Saturday would be lovely, actually! DH has a service to play on Saturday night, so I'd be lighting candles alone (well, with DS) most likely. We could make dinner out of it. And shabbos is over at sundown, so you can either do havdalah with us at sundown and then dinner and candlelighting, or come later and just do dinner and candles. Up to you.

Sunday, we leave for Florida, so it would have to be Saturday.

Anyone else who is planning to be in the Lancaster area is welcome, as well!
flminivanmama's Avatar flminivanmama 01:50 AM 12-11-2008
Heidi - I hope everyone is OK

Transformed I was on fiengold as a child & it did *nothing* for me...

Sara - where in FL??
smeisnotapirate's Avatar smeisnotapirate 04:25 AM 12-11-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post

Sara - where in FL??
One set is in Naples, the other in Miami, so if you're anywhere on either end of the Tamiami Trail.....................
flminivanmama's Avatar flminivanmama 11:28 AM 12-11-2008
LOL - a little north - I'm in Boca
heidirk's Avatar heidirk 05:35 PM 12-15-2008
bumpity bump!

studentmama's Avatar studentmama 02:55 AM 12-20-2008
Hey mamas,
How's everyone doing during this crazy time? My classes are finally done and I feel like they went pretty good, I feel horribly behind at my business, but I am kind of at peace with the holiday madness. We have almost zero to work with for gifts so that actually simplifies it a lot and my bro is hosting for Christmas so that is a huge thing off my plate.

I have been pretty consistent with the CLO, and I started taking zinc and a b complex everyday so I hope that helps a bit. Somehow I have got to figure out how to get my butt into exercise mode because I know hands down, that is going to be the most helpful.

Hope everyone is hanging in there!
transformed 03:44 AM 12-20-2008
I've just gotten up to my 1000 mg of depakote dose, and thats a pretty conservative dose. I feel ind of like some of the fog has lifted, and tasks are feeling a bit more managable.

Then again, that could be me swinging back up into mania again. Who knows?

This seems like it is going to be a confusing disorder to manage!

(Bi-polar with erie similaritys to adhd)
Triniity's Avatar Triniity 07:10 AM 12-20-2008
hello,

i think i have to join

i am not sure though, i am already 34 years old was in therapy for depression, eating disorders and stuff but was never diagnosed with add. just the last couple of weeks I looked kind of into it, but more ´cause I suspected my dh to be add.

than, when i looked into it i kind of found myself.

i am quite successfull, professionally, but a total chaotic at home. if i would not have a cleaning lady ...

i have ideas all the time but end up doing nothing of it : my best friend always says that she is keeping them and going to make a lot of money of it one day

today is one of these days - i kind of hate my life today. it´s these constant attention needing kids on one hand and being really bored without being able to get out at all all day. it kind of kills me today. the babe is crying all the time, in and out of the ergo - he does not want anything and nothing is right for him today - and dd is bored without playgroup and daycare.

i feel like going shopping or something - but all these christmasshoppers just drive me nuts - i can´t stand being with lot of people ....

i think i am pretty impulsive as well ...

i´ll write more ... but now i have to look after the kids...
flminivanmama's Avatar flminivanmama 05:28 PM 12-20-2008
trinity - welcome!

I love this article http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/fa...r%20own&st=cse

I already knew I was ADHD but it was still helpful to read
heidirk's Avatar heidirk 01:01 AM 12-21-2008
transformed- I'm glad you're feeling better, and I hope it evens out, so you stay a bit more 'up'.

studentmama- Great that your classes are done! I hope you did as well as you think!

triniity- Welcome! my dad discovered his add when I was diagnosed. He's been one of my staunchest supporters!

AAM- I have to admit, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the hiloday. I do feel Christmassy, and have since Thanksgiving, which is good, because I like to celebrate from about then to about Valebntines day! One time my tree actually stayed up that long!

I've baked cookies twice now with my mom and gandmother, but I've been so distracted my the boys, it's been stressful, and I felt guilty because I wanted to enjoy it, and had a hard time being calm. My mom just gets the bit in her teeth and I cannot keep up with her. I apologised tio her, and she said something I can't remember but I think was meant to make me feel better.

well, at least ds1 has memories of baking cookies with his grandma and great gram, which I could not have managed alone. And my house is actually aproaching clean. so I guess we're doing pretty well. . .
journeymom's Avatar journeymom 04:49 AM 12-21-2008
It's been a few months since I visited here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by transformed View Post
I got depakote today ladies. Turns out my ADD/HD may actually be my bipolar II - apparently it has some of the same traits.

They told me even if I was add/hd I couldnt ever medicate for it becauses it would put me in a manic state.

Hopefully medicating my bipolar will give me the skills to enact the Feingold Diet, which I have wanted to do for YEARS but lacked the planning skills to do so.

Anyone done Feingold successfully? (Have I already asked that?
I find that profoundly ironic. I've read a bit about the Finegold diet and knew immediately there's no way I could stick to it.

Quote:

Sara - where in FL??
That's comforting, actually.

I took depakote for my bipolar II, and had great success with it. It truly changed my life. I mean, it's not like I instantly felt like a cloud lifted and I was happy all the time. But it really helped my brain to slow down enough so that I didn't follow through on some wrong impulses, my driving improved, I got more out of my reading than ever before, I stopped spanking the kids and stopped screaming (as much). I took it for maybe four years and I feel like my brain learned a lot about how it should behave. That doesn't make sense, I know. But it seems like my brain slowed down enough that I could absorb more signals from the outside world, and it seems like my brain was learning.

Anyway, two years ago I changed from depakote to lamictal, and have had success with that, too. But I will forever be grateful that I had that depakote.

My daughter is half way through eighth grade on concerta, and she's also changed, for the better. With the adhd diagnosis she doesn't feel broken, she feels relieved.

Ah, well, It's late and time to go to bed.

Many hugs to all of you.

=====================

Hey, this thread is approaching its one year anniversary!
IncaMama's Avatar IncaMama 12:10 PM 12-21-2008
i've never been diagnosed, but i'm about 99% sure i've got ADD. constant forgetfulness, inability to organize things either physically or in my head, prioritizing is impossible - everything is HAVE.TO.DO.THIS.RIGHT.NOW. which of course means that nothing gets done right now and i'm left at square one. i am also quite impulsive and flighty, don't remember even basic tasks, have YET to find a reminder system that cracks the code in my brain, you get the idea.

i'm successful academically because i'm great at sprinting at the end and finishing tasks, but in pretty much ever other aspect of my life (especially homelife) i am a collossal failure at keeping up with things. even my friendships have suffered in the past becuase of my inattentiveness and impulsivity.

i'm pregnant with DC#3 and will then be breastfeeding for at *least* another 3 years (if my other kids are any indication of how long this one will nurse LOL), but will be trying medication once my body is back to being my own again. LOL

anyway, glad to have found this thread.
heidirk's Avatar heidirk 12:13 AM 12-22-2008
journeymom- I'm SO glad your DD feels releived w/a diagnosis. I've been thinking about her on and off, and wondered how she was.

And in regard to this thread's 1 yr anniversary- whadaya know? I've actually begun something that lasted a while!

IncaMama- Hi! welcome to our : little world.

"i'm successful academically because i'm great at sprinting at the end and finishing tasks, but in pretty much ever other aspect of my life (especially homelife) i am a collossal failure at keeping up with things. even my friendships have suffered in the past becuase of my inattentiveness and impulsivity."

this is me, too. I'm getting better at the friendship thing tho'.

AAM- anyone else find the huolidays to be a massive organizational nightmare? sorry typos, onehanded
journeymom's Avatar journeymom 05:33 PM 12-27-2008
Quote:
AAM- anyone else find the huolidays to be a massive organizational nightmare? sorry typos, onehanded
The holidays have been the absolute worst time of the year for me. My first Christmas on depakote was the first since I was a kid that I didn't fall apart at the seams.

Par for the course for us is doing panicked last minute shopping on Christmas Eve, and staying up past midnight wrapping gifts. It's been like this since we got married 16 years ago. This Christmas the gifts were all bought by the 23rd, and all were wrapped and under the tree by the afternoon of the 24th. It got to be 10:30 pm and I'd filled the stockings and dh and I looked at each other and wondered how this happened. Then I remembered that we hadn't done a gift exchange with dh's family this year. Wow, I had no idea it would make that much difference. Dh has seven siblings and a lot of nieces and nephews. We're all poor this year and skipped the exchange. I knew we'd save a lot of money. But I had no idea how much stress the gift exchange was causing until it was blessedly absent! I didn't have to shop for as many as six more people, then struggle to find a place and time for everyone to get together and exchange gifts. I wasn't running around like nuts trying to pull everything together. I had time to bake Christmas breads to share with the neighbors and I didn't spoil the atmosphere for everyone else being super stressed out.

This was a huge revelation. I know this will be unpopular but I'm telling the inlaws that we won't be participating in the family Christmas gift exchange anymore. Who knows, maybe they all came to the same conclusion.

This was the best Christmas we've had in a lonnngg time.

I'm curious to hear about everyone else's holiday experiences.
smeisnotapirate's Avatar smeisnotapirate 07:33 PM 12-27-2008
Yeek, I wish I could skip the Pollyanna. No such luck here. My organizational nightmare is cards. If I don't do everything in one day, it doesn't get done.

Well, I'll be not around so much. I'm going to show off my DS to my extended family in Florida. Hope you all have fun, and Happy New Year if I'm not on too much.
flminivanmama's Avatar flminivanmama 08:00 PM 12-27-2008
the way I have made the cards as simple as possible is I do the picture cards from cvs or walgreens (whoever has the better deal that particlar year - this year it was walgreens, last year it was cvs). you can do the card right on your computer at their website and they call you *in an hour* that it is ready.... *swoon*

I put "love from the (our last name) family" right on the card so I don't need to write anything

I have a file for the labels of all our friends and families addreses & I just print out those labels and my return address labels, stick them on, buy self stick stamps, stick those on... done.

very little work and lots of people ohhing and ahhing over your cute kid(s) and the effort you made LOL
transformed 08:05 PM 12-27-2008
christmas cards :

thank you notes :

did i mention my 1 yr old and 3 yr olds birthdays are on the 25th and 26th of dec? :
flminivanmama's Avatar flminivanmama 09:28 PM 12-27-2008
thank you notes.... oy
~Boudicca~'s Avatar ~Boudicca~ 10:10 PM 12-27-2008
Quote:
thank you notes.... oy
Oh boy...forget those.

I had such a hard time keeping track of names and stuff at my baby shower I'm pretty sure that there are people in existence that still feel slighted because they didn't get one from me. Oh well.
heidirk's Avatar heidirk 10:35 PM 12-28-2008
This year, my MIL basically told nme that if we weren't buying gifts, I needed to at least make them. Well.

So I made cutout cookies, the kind ou decorate, and chex mix, and pumpkin bread. Everyone was impressed. They'd have been even more impressed if they'd seen what my kitchen looked like after I was done. Oh. My. Goodness.

We did ok in the last minute shopping department, we did run out Christmas eve, but only to one place, and the grocery store for sposies. But DH and I were up till 1:30 Christmas morning wrapping gifts. THen the morning of the 26th, I spent making pumpkin bread, and packing tins of cookies, and had to send DH out to the grocery store. then we packed the car and headed out to His parent's for second Christmas. Whew.

We did NO cards this year. I kept saving the envelopes, and DH kept finding them and throwing them away.

we had a wonderful time, actually, and had fun seeing family. I love Christmas, but I'm glad it's over.
heidirk's Avatar heidirk 05:58 PM 01-01-2009
Happy New Year!

I hope everyone had a splendid Holiday, and is anticipating a peaceful new year. I know that's a bit of a stretch for some of us, though!

I have already managed to complicate my life further, and 2009 (!!!!!!!) has just begun! I am going to care for a friend's child, who is just 9 days older than my tiny one. She is is desparate need of good childcare, and being qualified, it was hard for me not to offer to help.

So here we are, and good luck everyone!

H
~Boudicca~'s Avatar ~Boudicca~ 10:02 PM 01-01-2009
Happy New Year to everyone too!

I feel like 2009 is going to be the year I seriously get my sh*t together. I feel so on the ball these days, it's great.

See you later, I am a decluttering machine right now (It's times like these where hyperfocus is my friend)!
KurumiSophia's Avatar KurumiSophia 10:22 AM 01-02-2009
I've been cheerfully lurking in this thread. It's been very informative on how you all manage your ADHD.

Unfortunately, I seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to medicating my ADHD. DD is now 15 months old and the pressure to wean from my DH and my MIL so I can have a more effective medication is strong, esp. since I start 3 classes this semester.

When I denied my DD her boobies for the first time last night, I cried. It hurt so much to see her clawing at my shirt and my just snuggling her to try to distract her from it. I know she needs a mom who can concentrate but I know she needs her boobies too.

I'm not sure what the point of this is, just a vent of sorts. *slides back into lurkdom of the thread*
heidirk's Avatar heidirk 12:39 PM 01-02-2009
Hello KurumiSophia! Welcome!

I'm sorry that more effective meds will mean you have to wean. 15 months is a special time. I know it seemed to me my ds1 began to turn into such a neat little person, and he wasn't ready to wean then either. Emotional stress can make Adhd worse, too, so may be now is not the best time if you're starting classes?

Are your DH and you MIL justified in pressuring you? I mean is the new med completely incompatable with bf'ing? Maybe you can check out a few and find out if there's one you can use. Maybe you can see how classes go and then see if you need a stronger med? Can you sit down and have a heart to heart with your DH? Sometimes if I want to have an important discussionwith someone, I have to write down the main points so I can get out what I need to say. What is you DH concerned the most about? If it's the state of the house, he may need to step up the the plate more there if you're going to take classes- which he should be willing to do even if you didn't have ADHD.

We're here for you to throw ideas at, so talk away!

H
KurumiSophia's Avatar KurumiSophia 01:57 PM 01-02-2009
Quote:
Hello KurumiSophia! Welcome!

I'm sorry that more effective meds will mean you have to wean. 15 months is a special time. I know it seemed to me my ds1 began to turn into such a neat little person, and he wasn't ready to wean then either. Emotional stress can make Adhd worse, too, so may be now is not the best time if you're starting classes?

Are your DH and you MIL justified in pressuring you? I mean is the new med completely incompatable with bf'ing? Maybe you can check out a few and find out if there's one you can use. Maybe you can see how classes go and then see if you need a stronger med? Can you sit down and have a heart to heart with your DH? Sometimes if I want to have an important discussionwith someone, I have to write down the main points so I can get out what I need to say. What is you DH concerned the most about? If it's the state of the house, he may need to step up the the plate more there if you're going to take classes- which he should be willing to do even if you didn't have ADHD.

We're here for you to throw ideas at, so talk away!

H
There is a certain justification since even on 40mg of Ritalin, I'm not doing so hot. It seemed to work for a time, but has dropped in effectiveness. Both MIL and DH had a sit down w/me last night about how she has to constantly remind me to do things like clean, etc. And w/my classes starting soon, how am I going to not only do them but do them well in addition to be a wife, mom, etc. I tend to leave a trail of unfinished tasks behind me which is so not good. My NP is wary of any nursing mother being on meds for ADHD and I had to fight just to get what I have.

So I'm just sort of at my wits end 'cause I need to be able to concentrate but neither she nor I are ready to wean.
flminivanmama's Avatar flminivanmama 03:03 PM 01-02-2009
Hi KS - I am looking some info up on ADD and medications - this doesn't take the place of a discussion with your doctor - but may be helpful for you
http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-b...cus/discus.cgi
KurumiSophia's Avatar KurumiSophia 03:50 PM 01-02-2009
Quote:
Hi KS - I am looking some info up on ADD and medications - this doesn't take the place of a discussion with your doctor - but may be helpful for you
http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-b...cus/discus.cgi
I gave that one to my nurse practitioner and she still is hedging. The two I had before her were much more open to me nursing and taking medication when I showed them I'd done my research and knew what I was talking about. I swear she thinks I'm a bad mommy for nursing and taking these meds @ the same time.
studentmama's Avatar studentmama 04:24 PM 01-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurumiSophia View Post
I gave that one to my nurse practitioner and she still is hedging. The two I had before her were much more open to me nursing and taking medication when I showed them I'd done my research and knew what I was talking about. I swear she thinks I'm a bad mommy for nursing and taking these meds @ the same time.
What other things are you doing to help it? What are you struggling with?
KurumiSophia's Avatar KurumiSophia 04:34 PM 01-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by studentmama View Post
What other things are you doing to help it? What are you struggling with?
I'm avoiding Red 40 like the plague, taking my medication exactly as prescribed, trying to follow events on the calendar, and using as much force of will as I can muster. Chores are still left undone unless someone reminds me and stays on top of me, I'll get lost online instead of doing things like, oh, studying. I have the worst time remembering to do regular meals, etc.

It's one mishap after another and I need to get it under control but am lost and under pressure.
First ... 5  13  14  15 16  17  ... Last

Up