Looking for Mommas with ADD/ADHD... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 582 Old 01-08-2008, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Mommas out there!
Anyone trying to raise a family and has ADD or ADHD? I'm feeling very alone in my clumsy, forgetting, can't think straight world here.

I've got 1 DS, ADD, and a DH who thinks I'm his mother.

Please introduce yourselves and say which you've got, mild/severe, medicated/un- or self- medicated, and anything else you think is important.

I've noticed a huge increase in my symptoms lately, and I can't say why....

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#2 of 582 Old 01-08-2008, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody?

.....now I DO feel alone....

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#3 of 582 Old 01-08-2008, 06:21 PM

Don't feel alone, I'm here. Just too ADHD to respond
I was diagnosed severe ADHD borderline personality disorder when I was about 13. I was on 8 different meds 3x a day till I was 19 :. I always thought that I would be CRAZY if I didn't take them, then I stopped. I've never felt so sane in my life than without all the uppers, downers, anti-psychotics & mood stabilizers. I do still notice that I'm very...what's a good word...flighty maybe
My attention span is definitely not as long as it could be. I've still got about 10 days till my baby is due so we'll see how well I cope with the momma thing. I think I'll be good but I guess I'll have to wait & find out.
#4 of 582 Old 01-09-2008, 02:31 AM

bumpitty bump
#5 of 582 Old 01-10-2008, 11:01 PM

ADD, wishing for some H here! I never suspected ADD until a few years ago, self diagnosed about two years ago, tried meds 6 or 7 months ago after weighing the risks and benefits while breastfeeding. Saw an immediate improvement in myself, but it waned after a few weeks and I no longer felt the benefits were outweighing the risks.
I think I will try a different med whenever ds weans, but not until then. In the meantime, I am going through one of the worst ADD periods yet. My big kids are off to Grandmas this weekend so I can try to regroup!
#6 of 582 Old 01-10-2008, 11:56 PM

The only medication that I've found, that I trust, is medical marijuana. Western medication freaks me out ever since I was medicated for the ADHD when I was younger
#7 of 582 Old 01-11-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMARabbitt View Post
The only medication that I've found, that I trust, is medical marijuana. Western medication freaks me out ever since I was medicated for the ADHD when I was younger
I'd love to see information on that. Can't say I'd be comfortable with the legality issue, but I'm definitely interested in the theory.
#8 of 582 Old 01-11-2008, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

*%$#*@%$# thing just erased my post!:

Anyway, I was saying that relaxants usually increase my ADD symptoms and I get almost morose, I'm so Low.

A few years ago I read a book called healing your anxiety with herbs. It mentioned Valerian root as a supplement while you sleep. It does produce very vivid dreams at times, but it's worked verywell for me.

My self meds now are: B-50 complex, 50mg a multivit with lots of b-vits, and valerian root whileI sleep. I think of it as a life-long therapy, not a medicine or treatment.

I've been losing things lately, and forgetting things, although, even when DS was tiny, things had remained balanced out. My iron was low and I started taking two multi's instead of my extra b's and I think that's the problem.

My anxiety is back too. I forget thatthere are otheradults who deal with this, and choose to remain 'unmedicated'. Oh did I mention CAFFEINE?

I wasn't diagnosed until eighteen, and by then all my fun little 'tricks'were ingrained. I tried Ritalin, and when each dose wore off, I got these intense rages, and I'd want to hurt myself, or smash things. I couldn't deal with being out ofcontrol in the first place that's why I'd considered drugs, but this was far worse.

Niemals Gewalt
#9 of 582 Old 01-16-2008, 06:39 PM

Another ADD'er chiming in here. Diagnosed and medicated since I was 4, then passed around to 8 different psychologists. It's moderate, but mild enough for me to figure stuff out as an adult without any ritalin. I'd tried all of them and finally quit because stimulants make me really jittery. There's also clinical depression there too.

I've been on pretty much everything during childhood (I could list them, but that'd be boring) but the good news is that all I'm on now is Zoloft and a multivitamin.

I'm with MAMARabbitt on the medical marijuana thing. That stuff works so well for anxiety. Unfortunately, it's expensive and I'm pregnant, so I can't take it just now. And yeah, growing up, being on all those drugs really sucked for me, too.

Sure, I lose and forget things, but it actually helps that both my husband and I have the same thing for empathy reasons. Any kids we have will definitely have some mental health stuff to deal with (including the one on the way right now), but at least we'll be able to understand them better.
#10 of 582 Old 01-18-2008, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hello SpookyBlue!

I actually considered not procreating becuse of my anxiety and depression.

I realized though, that even if my children had ADD I could prevent a lot of problems by parenting differently, and by homeschooling. Ds is so much fun, I couldn't dream of life without him.

Niemals Gewalt
#11 of 582 Old 01-19-2008, 01:59 PM

No kidding, heidirk! I considered the same thing, too, before I...well, realized the same thing you did. Hope babies are as much fun to raise, cause I gots one on the way!
#12 of 582 Old 01-20-2008, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Hooray!

I find having ADD helpful in caring for kids. I remember vividly how being a kid was, so it's easy for me to look at him and say, OK...He's upset about X let's try THIS.

I also found a neat book, The Gift of ADHD. I recommend reading that while you still have brain cells left!

Niemals Gewalt
#13 of 582 Old 02-01-2008, 12:47 AM

I do, sorta, subbing. . .

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#14 of 582 Old 02-01-2008, 12:55 AM

I have autism with ADD-like traits. Little bit distracted now (fittingly ), shall return later...
#15 of 582 Old 02-01-2008, 10:37 PM

I'm wondering how many of you use diet to control the ADD? When my DD has thrush, I started finding stuff on how diet makes autism and ADD symptoms appear. I'll link some stuff.

I was self-diagnosed in college, my mom thought it was cop-out, but I would try and try, and I just couldn't get things (homework) done. I retook 5 classes! I did get a diagnosis while I had good ins. but then after college just dropped getting seen. I don't think mine is too severe, but this fall when I was on an Elimination diet for the thrush, no dairy/wheat/sugar, anythign boxed/refined, my brain was clearer, and I lost weight. I'm really messy and usually overwhelmed with my housekeeping. Anyone else? I'm not depressed, I think, but I do have days where I am so down and have no motivation to do anything.

#16 of 582 Old 02-01-2008, 11:01 PM

Wow....never saw this tribe!

Hubby is ADD, I'm ADHD and both boys have been diagnosed with ADHD. Youngest is still too young. I'm on Concerta and Ritalin, boys are on Concerta as well. At least I can relate to them!

~Jen

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#17 of 582 Old 02-03-2008, 04:19 PM

Yeah, I'm totally here. Classic tale of people-pleasing girl with ADD who learned to cope, sort of. Since I was not running around, teachers would never think there was a problem, I just daydreamed a lot. Thankfully,(I guess), smart enough to compensate. Also I had older, AP parents who loved and accepted me as is, and then a great supportive DH who does the same. I've never been medicated and at this point in time don't think I ever will be. I'm a clinical social worker and have been given several scales, which all say I have ADD. I think the part that bugs me the most is feeling such a disconnect from other women. It's hard for me to maintain friendships, I just don't really have the ability to organize my time to allow for working part-time and being the kind of Mom I am and then adding female friendship into the mix. I also think part of it is the part of the country I live in seems to have female friendship revolve around activities I don't think of as ADD friendly, if that makes sense. I tried to scrapbook, and would still like to, but by the time I would find what I wanted, my time for it was past. Also I would hyperfocus on something, time would pass and nothing would be done. I also think lots of women are not real cool with coming to a house where there is laundry on the couch and lots of unfinished projects. Then again maybe it's my own "shame" issue with feeling like I don't measure up in the "womanly" arts of housekeeping, etc. None of this is stuff my DH puts on me, it's how I feel about myself. Being a mother has been very healing for me on many levels. I feel like I'm a really, sensitive, loving and nurturing mother, so therfore I must be a "good woman".
Yeah, this tended to ramble, imagine that, but would love to hear from other's on how the condition impacts their self-esteem in today's society with all the expectations of looking great, being organized, a perfect mother, lots of friends, a hot lover, and on and on.
#18 of 582 Old 02-03-2008, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

I just erased my entire post. Which about sums up my problems with ADD.

Yes, I'm overwhelmed by housekeeping too. And I'm a SAHM, and I don't invite anyone over because in my mind the house is in chaos. I tell DH that I can cook, or I can clean but I can't do both on the same day.

it is hard to maintain friendships because I can easily lose the thread of a conversation which means I either embarass myself, or I wait so long to reply people think I'm not interested. I do try to give my self permission to be great at only one thing at a time. I think my Hyperfocus actually helps me sometimes, in that it allows me to tune out almost anything.

My parents were NOT accepting of me, and my mom in particular was always trying to 'fix' me. It didn't help that she called me 'space-cadet' and said things like "Earth to Heidi; earth to Heidi!"

Going on a now refined anything diet helped my moods mainly but the only thing that has helped to manage my symptoms has been my vitamin/supplement regimen. I'd love to hear more on that.

I was actually reading in Mothering mag that ADD/ADHD is part of the Autism spectrum. That actually answered some questions for me!

I did Ritalin when I was 19, but I hadbad sideeffects, so I quit. I have thought about trying Concerta, but I'm nursing and don't know if it passes into breast milk?

Ds is too young to tell too. But chances are if we have five kids like we want, I'll probably have at least two with some form of it.

Niemals Gewalt
#19 of 582 Old 02-04-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialworkmamma View Post
Yeah, I'm totally here. Classic tale of people-pleasing girl with ADD who learned to cope, sort of. Since I was not running around, teachers would never think there was a problem, I just daydreamed a lot. Thankfully,(I guess), smart enough to compensate. Also I had older, AP parents who loved and accepted me as is, and then a great supportive DH who does the same. I've never been medicated and at this point in time don't think I ever will be. I'm a clinical social worker and have been given several scales, which all say I have ADD. I think the part that bugs me the most is feeling such a disconnect from other women. It's hard for me to maintain friendships, I just don't really have the ability to organize my time to allow for working part-time and being the kind of Mom I am and then adding female friendship into the mix. . . . Also I would hyperfocus on something, time would pass and nothing would be done. I also think lots of women are not real cool with coming to a house where there is laundry on the couch and lots of unfinished projects. Then again maybe it's my own "shame" issue with feeling like I don't measure up in the "womanly" arts of housekeeping, etc.
Yeah, this tended to ramble, imagine that, but would love to hear from other's on how the condition impacts their self-esteem in today's society with all the expectations of looking great, being organized, a perfect mother, lots of friends, a hot lover, and on and on.
I'm sorry you feel so disconnected. I've found a friend who's as messy as I am, and we go to each other's house and clean and visit. I get hyperfocused and don't clean enough and will have like one shelf of a bookshelf that looks great and the floor is a pit.

Does anyone do playdates? Is your work-schedule the same all the time? What if you set a standing date with a friend? Or for you to set a time/date that is a 'friend day', say every Thursday you do something with a friend ,not necessarily the same friend. I have no idea if these will help. After our last move, I've had a really hard time making friends, but I justs tared saying, "Okay, when?", when someone says, "Let's get together." Or saying, "What about Thursday?" Of course if it's around doing something, and you don't have a hobby, that makes it harder. You can just ignore my ideas, if they don't help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
I tell DH that I can cook, or I can clean but I can't do both on the same day.
Me too!

Quote:
My parents were NOT accepting of me, and my mom in particular was always trying to 'fix' me. It didn't help that she called me 'space-cadet' and said things like "Earth to Heidi; earth to Heidi!"
That's not nice!

Quote:
I have thought about trying Concerta, but I'm nursing and don't know if it passes into breast milk?
Check Kellymom.com

#20 of 582 Old 02-04-2008, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Maggirayne. I do just need to put in on the calendar. I noticed in your siggie you're a Christian. I am too and I've found some friends at church that totally get the ADD thing and then there is the mother of DD's best friend who made the remark to me last summer about needing to be disciplined to get things done. It really hurt. Yes, I need to work on time management, but at the same time this is from a woman who's husband is a youth minister with a very flexible schedule, who I've seen at their home helping with laundry on a Thursday morning. Not everyone has a DH with a job that allows for laundry time during the middle of the day. It just brings out my feelings of inadequacy as a women, yk? I know we all struggle with various issues but sometimes it's hard when you feel like your issue is out there for all to see. I also work part-time for a Christian adoption agency as well as seeing a couple of clients for therapy. I handle my scheduling and billing and as someone pointed out, sometimes it's one or the other, I can't do it all. I wish I could
Anyway, this thread has helped me just by knowing I'm not the only one out there. DH is helping me to organize my time as I've given him permission to "micromanage" me. He's the boss at his office, so I might as well take advantage of his skills. I think my biggest fear is having my issues impact my children. So far I've been able to keep it together enough, but it seems to get more difficult all the time. The house is the biggie for me right now. I want DD to be able to feel like she can have friends over without having to apologize. I'm not there yet. Both my children have birthdays this week, DD's is tomorrow. I feel like I have what I need, but there is always this nagging feeling I've overlooked some major thing and I'll disappoint my children. DH is a great help and I make lists for him and he does the majority of our errands because he's so much efficent and we spend less.
Take care all.
Pamela
#21 of 582 Old 02-04-2008, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Oh this is cool!
I'm a christian too!

One of the things that embarasses me so much is that I can't have the ladies from church over. Even when I have three weeks notice, something seems to blow up in my face. I tried to host a pampered chef party a while back...Well, I'm glad no one had to use the bathroom!

I just started online classes at our bible college and I am terrified!
I've already sent myself into a panic because stuff is just NOT obvious to me the way it seems to be for everyone else. :

Sometimes I just don't want to be different anymore.

Niemals Gewalt
#22 of 582 Old 02-26-2008, 02:37 PM

Hi Everyone!
How do you self-diagnose ADD? Recently I started suspecting I might have some ADD, I have a really hard time concentrating on any one thing, but if I do I block everything else out. I have to live/die by my lists or I feel lost, and even then its hard to remember to look at my lists. etc. Daydream& doodle too much then don't get things done (like I should be doing work now!) Nothing major but its always made life feel very disorganized and frustrating. Not that I want to take drugs, but it would be helpful to put a name to my restlesness.
#23 of 582 Old 02-28-2008, 03:21 PM

It took most of my life to figure out what was "wrong" with me. Growing up I was textbook female ADD - I was your typical "she's very bright but doesn't meet her potential" ADD kid. Meet my potential? I didn't even know where the heck my homework was, let alone have the organization to actually do it. I lived almost entirely in my head. In a way the diagnosis was a relief but I also felt much regret and grieved over it for a while, thinking of what I could have been...

I'm generally over the grief and now I embrace my freaky brain. Sure I'd love a cleaner house, I'd love to know exactly where everything is, I'd love to not get distracted by every little (and big) idea. But really, more often than not I think it helps me be a better parent.

I meet my kids where they are rather than where I think they should be...I remember A LOT of my childhood and know what its like being a child. I can have fun with them, I'm not all serious and orderly like some of my mama friends.

Sometimes I'm easily irritated but I've gotten a lot better about knowing what my triggers are - creating a little bit of quiet (if at all possible!) helps. Fish oil supplements seem to help a lot. I find its never been much of an issue at any jobs I've had - I seem to be able to keep very focused there. Its that hyperfocus bit.

The only part that is still hard is that my mother, in her typical head-in-the-sand fashion, refuses to engage when I bring up the topic. I realize perhaps it is painful for her - that she didn't know the signs (no one did back then, esp w/girls), that they weren't more tuned it, that she feels guilty. Or, maybe she just doesn't believe it. I do wish she'd at LEAST google it for a few minutes to learn a little bit about what ADD is and what it isn't.

Anyhow, I ramble....suffice it to say that I feel pretty good these days. I know how my brain is and I try to focus on all the positives. You know, creativity, humor, innovation, etc.
#24 of 582 Old 02-29-2008, 09:54 PM

Yeah, I haven't been around much, oops. I could post a list of websites I found while I was in college, so I haven't looked at them in a few years, since oh, 2002?

I've got more to say but it's supper time.

ETA: I self-diagnosed when I was taking education classes and reading stuff about ADD. It all kept fitting.

#25 of 582 Old 02-29-2008, 10:29 PM

Ok, Heidi, I just reread your post. For my senior year, I had one teacher who noticed I was having a hard time, and she kept me accountable. She had me write on a calendar when it was due. Then go bck three weeks and mark it start date and then mark complete date a week before it was due. I brought in the assignments to show her that were to be completed that week. I did not have any undone homework for that year, and I had retaken 5 classes only because I didn't do the homework.

I know online classes are set up differently, but by setting a start date, then you don't wait until the night before.

What college, BTW? And it is neat we are Christians!

#26 of 582 Old 03-01-2008, 01:20 AM

Definitely ADHD here... I've been on Adderall but that is NOT a drug that is good for me... I'm already high strung/manic enough as it is. Like PPs, I have also been on a host of other prescription meds from a young age but I'm not taking anything now and don't think I'll go back down the allopathic med route...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
I'm wondering how many of you use diet to control the ADD? When my DD has thrush, I started finding stuff on how diet makes autism and ADD symptoms appear. I'll link some stuff..
Interesting that you bring this up! I was just recently diagnosed with Celiac's Disease and am going gluten-free (one day at a time... ). The nutritionist that diagnosed me works with children with Autism and ADD/ADHD and specializes in gluten intolerance... I didn't go to her for that specifically but it will be interesting to see if cutting out gluten has any effect on my symptoms.
#27 of 582 Old 03-02-2008, 08:24 PM

These are all of the websites I have found and liked. There are 42.

I have no idea which ones still work.

Recipes:

http://www.add-adhd-help-center.com/adhd_recipes.htm

Tests:
http://www.amenclinic.com/ac/addtests/

http://adhd.kids.tripod.com/sites.html

College Students
http://www1.adhdlivingguide.com/ment...ch/default.htm

http://www.naspa.org/publications/jo...nts%20with.pdf

http://www.tulane.edu/~health/text/ADD.htm

Other Links:
http://www.geocities.com/janice13/ADD2.html

http://depression.about.com/cs/addanddepression/

http://www.adhd.com/AdultADHD/50tips.html

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/livin...lts021028.html

http://add.miningco.com/library/blco...nattentive.htm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ficit+Disorder

More specific links:
see article, The effect of pyridoxine hydrochloride on blood serotonin and pyridoxal phosphate contents in hyperactive children. Bhagavan HN, Coleman M, Coursin DB, Pediatrics 1975 Mar;55(3):437-41

Discussion board
http://www.ldonline.org/bulletin_boa...ults_adhd.html

Adult test
http://www.amenclinic.com/ac/addtests/adult1.asp

Diet
http://www.feingold.org/research_adhd1.html

Serotonin & ADD
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-po...=6&db=m&Dopt=b

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

List of sites:
http://www.awesomelibrary.org/Librar..._Disorder.html

http://www.additudemag.com/addabc.asp

Serotonin
http://www.adders.org/research3.htm

http://www.all-organic-food.com/add-adhd.htm

THE SEROTONIN CONNECTION

Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that has been associated with symptoms of depression. Serotonin helps regulate sleep, sexual energy, mood, impulses and appetite. Low levels of serotonin can cause us to feel irritable, anxious, and depressed. One way to temporarily increase our serotonin level is to eat foods that are high in sugar and carbohydrates. Our attempts to change our neurochemistry are short lived, however, and we have to eat more and more to maintain feeling of well being.
Medications such as Prozac, Paxil and Zoloft work to regulate serotonin. These medications are frequently helpful when used in combination with ADD and eating disorder treatment. Proper levels of serotonin can also help improve impulse control giving the person time to think before they eat.

ADD
http://www.lef.org/protocols/abstracts/abstr-016.html

http://www.edutechsbs.com/adhd/index.html

Diet
http://www.dialadietician.org

http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/0515.html

Adult ADD
http://www.addult.org/

General ADD resources
http://teis.virginia.edu/go/cise/ose...ories/add.html

General list of Adult symptoms
http://www.stanford.edu/group/dss/In...checklist.html

Laura Stevens--nutrition
http://users.nlci.com/nutrition/

http://users.aol.com/jimams/addonaol6.html

ADD references
Additional links:
http://members.aol.com/ADDisorder/4h...ml#anchor48977

http://users.nlci.com/nutrition/index.htm

Q. We have a 5-year old son with ADHD. My husband also has ADHD. I know that ADHD can run in families. I’m pregnant with our second child, and I’m wondering if there’s anything I can do to prevent problems in the new baby.

A. First, eat a really good diet-4 servings of low-fat dairy products; beneficial omega-3 fatty acids; lean, low-fat meats; fresh, oily cold-water fish such as salmon, tuna, sardines, herring, etc.; at least 5 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables; whole grain breads and cereals. Avoid caffeine, all alcohol and any drugs (including over-the-counter meds) unless prescribed by your doctor. Avoid sweetened and artificially sweetened soft drinks and foods. Don’t smoke or inhale second-hand smoke.

Breast-feed your baby for as long as you can. The American Academy of Pediatrics is currently recommending women breast-feed for at least a year. Delay the introduction of formula for six months if possible. Delay the introduction of solid foods until 4 to 6 months.
Encourage fruits and vegetables and discourage foods with sugar and “bad fats.” Don’t allow smoking in your house or car.

There are no guarantees these steps will ensure a child without ADHD but they are reasonable steps for having a happy, healthy baby.

ADD
http://www.add.org/welcome1.html

Evaluation
http://www.add.org/content/abc/basic.htm

http://www.add.org/content/women/addvance.htm

http://www.add.org/content/women/girls.htm

http://www.add.org/content/interview/nadeau1.htm
Dr JAKSA: What are the cognitive symptoms typically associated with ADD?

Dr NADEAU: Cognitive symptoms of ADD have to do with many things, including a rush of ideas which come too quickly to deal with, with sudden "brain blips" in which we lose thoughts unpredictably, and with a highly variable sense of time.

http://www.add.org/content/treatment/sensitivity.htm

http://www.add.org/content/work/traps.htm

http://www.chadd.com website for ADHD

http://www.oneaddplace.com website for ADHD

http://www.familyvillage.wisc.edu/master.html national mailing list for disabilitie

#28 of 582 Old 03-02-2008, 11:57 PM

Maybe it's just me.....but I'm REALLY ok having ADHD and taking Ritalin. I function perfectly when on meds. I don't have a special diet to adhere to nor avoid any kind of preservitives or dyes. I'm a multifunctional person and ENJOY being busy. I love having super-active kids! I can go from the gym, to work, homeschool the kids, take them to a playdate and then do some homework while keeping the house clean...I can't wait to start my midwifery apprenticeship!

I'm not saying that I don't agree with trying natural methods of trying to cope with ADD/ADHD but to me (this is my opinion) it's like eating lots of carrots in hopes that it will cure nearsightedness. People with bad eyesight need glasses. Has anyone looked at brain scans of people with ADD? It's really cool. http://amenclinics.com/bp/atlas/ch12.php

Does anyone else here feel good on meds and accept their lifestyle? Has anyone else noticed a significant (good) difference while on Ritalin or similar meds? Do you often hear, "Wow, how do you do it?" while thinking that it's just how life is?! IMO, I wouldn't want it any other way! However, I do appreciate those who do not like meds and want to find a different way to cope with the symptoms. I'm just wondering if there is anyone out there besides me who is ok with it.

Jen Burnett, DEM
Homeschooling mom to my 3 kids (10, 9 and 8)
#29 of 582 Old 03-03-2008, 12:19 AM

Funny that I found this thread today, since I was just talking with my mom about trying biofeedback. I've been diagnosed with PTSD (from an abusive marriage), ADD as a kid (I tried a couple different meds as a teen but nothing really worked long term), depression as an older teen and most recently a therapist has told me that I showed signs of rapid-cycling bipolar. So who knows.

But I'm curious if anyone has tried and had success with biofeedback, or improving the brain's "efficiency." I'm disorganized a lot of the time and have crappy time management. I try to keep it all together but seems I'm always behind on laundry, or schoolwork, or housework, or SOMETHING.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#30 of 582 Old 03-03-2008, 01:12 AM

I'm not a Mom yet but I am a professional Nanny. I have ADD which was not diagnosed until college. I was your typical "very bright but doesn't work up to her potential" and "daydreams in class" kid. I also read on a 10th grade level in first grade! DH has ADHD and is on Ritalin(since he was 6). He's thinking of changing to a non-stimulant medication.

I too think that in some ways ADD makes dealing with kids easier (your attention span more closely matches theirs). I have had to learn a lot of tricks to stay organized. Our house is always a bit of a battle with the two of us (and my BIL who had ADHD also), lots of unfinished projects. But we do eventually get things done, we just don;t often finish one project before starting another.

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page