Mothering Forum banner

How would you feel if your kids grow up to be gay?

• Thrilled--more gay is more better.

Votes: 49 6.3%
  • Nonplussed--as long as they're happy, I'm good.

Votes: 492 62.8%
  • Okay--I'd rather they were straight, but whatever.

Votes: 132 16.9%
  • Disappointed--I think being gay is wrong and I don't want that for my kids.

Votes: 82 10.5%
  • Angry--I'm so appalled by considering it that I can't imagine what I'd feel.

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 24 3.1%

S/O: Anon poll about your kids being gay

9K views 229 replies 136 participants last post by  Jilian 
#1 ·
You can say more about your vote in a post, but don't feel obligated.

#8 ·
I voted "nonplussed." I really hope that by the time my DD is old enough to start dating and/or choose a partner, it really won't be a big deal as to who she chooses or why she made her choice.

It's my sincerest hope that we get to a point in the future where there won't be any pejorative connotations to any sexual orientation. I'm sure that must sound totally naive, but hey, that's my hope.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucysmom View Post
Just ... "nonplussed" means "taken aback." So even though "as long as they're happy ..." was my answer, it was hard to vote "nonplussed," because I wouldn't be.
Yeah, in proper terms it means surprised, taken aback. But in American common usage it means not bothered.

#13 ·
I voted "okay". I honestly believe as long as my kids are happy, but I fear how they would be treated if they were gay. I remember being told over and over and over again "Don't let others bring you down because your fat". Well everytime someone made a horrible comment about me being fat, it really felt like a knife right to the heart. I would cry and cry. I just want my kids to have an easy upbringing. I don't want them to get made fun of. Of course I would teach them to carry themselves high and not worry about what others think, but that didn't work for me.

#16 ·
i have 3 boys. i could care less if 2 turned out gay. i want at least one strait child who will give my a grandbaby, preferable a girl. i'm not that demanding am i?

i REALLY hope DH never sees this. he and i are very different on this topic. he doesn't want any of our children to be gay.

i would be a little upset if the day ever comes that they sit me down and reveal to me, but i would not be upset at them. it would be more of an upset for them. not that my DH would condem them or tell them they are no longer in the family. Just because i know he would be disapointed.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by scatterbrainedmom View Post
i have 3 boys. i could care less if 2 turned out gay. i want at least one strait child who will give my a grandbaby, preferable a girl.
My cousin, R, is gay. He and his partner have a four-year old son and recently adopted newborn twins. Gay doesn't equal "nonparent."

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by scatterbrainedmom View Post
i have 3 boys. i could care less if 2 turned out gay. i want at least one strait child who will give my a grandbaby, preferable a girl. i'm not that demanding am i?

i REALLY hope DH never sees this. he and i are very different on this topic. he doesn't want any of our children to be gay.

i would be a little upset if the day ever comes that they sit me down and reveal to me, but i would not be upset at them. it would be more of an upset for them. not that my DH would condem them or tell them they are no longer in the family. Just because i know he would be disapointed.
Gay People Have Kids!!!

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by frog View Post
My cousin, R, is gay. He and his partner have a four-year old son and recently adopted newborn twins. Gay doesn't equal "nonparent."
Gay couples can't adopt (nor foster) in Utah. Just FTR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.