How do you get a replacement social security card? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-05-2008, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know?

We lost Ronin's card (or never received it, actually -- I imagine it came in an unmarked envelope and I tossed it without opening it). We have his number, but cannot get a replacement card without:
-- original medical records (who gives those out?)
-- or a school id card/school registration info
-- or vaccination records.

He's not vaccinated and not in school (obviously, he's 2). He probably won't be going to school and may not be getting vaxxed.

So what's a mom to do? I don't really feel like we NEED the card, as we have his number, but DP really wants to have the card as well. He thinks there must be SOMETHING else.

Can I get a passport for him and use that as proof of ID? That was the last thought I had . . . of course I suspect I might need an SS card to get a passport. What a mess!!

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-05-2008, 03:14 PM

Have you checked the official social security website? They give a longer list of documents that can be used as identification to get a replacement card- I believe they'll also accept an insurance card and birth certificate.

I've had to request cards before, and it wasn't that big of a deal. I sent the documents to the social security office, along with a completed application I downloaded off the SS website. It was a pretty simple and fast process.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#3 of 6 Old 02-05-2008, 03:23 PM

I would check out SS website and see if there is an option on a replacement card. If not look for the closest one nearby and stop in and ask. I'm sure its happened before and should be a quick fix. Good luck.
#4 of 6 Old 02-05-2008, 03:29 PM

You can get a blank vax card and put his name on it and present it as his vax record, even though he hasn't had any.
#5 of 6 Old 02-05-2008, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

I called and that's what they told me -- original medical records, school id/school records, or a vax history. I told them the doctor's won't release originals, he won't be going to school, or getting vaxxed, and she basically said, you're SOL. i stopped in the office a year ago and they said pretty much the same thing, but nicer, and I forgot about it for awhile.

From the looks of it, though, I can get him a passport without a SS card, and then apply for the replacement SS card once we have a passport. Ridiculous, but it should work.

I just can't apply for a passport until we get back from Montreal in March, but that's no big deal. We don't need a social security card right now anyway.

Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#6 of 6 Old 02-05-2008, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
You can get a blank vax card and put his name on it and present it as his vax record, even though he hasn't had any.
I like your thinking! I'll have to ask for a vax card from the pediatrician next time we're there and see if it works.

Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page