Mothering Forum banner

idea for new big sister gift?

734 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  5gifts 
#1 ·
some friends are expecting baby number two shortly, and they're having a shower this weekend. I'd like to bring a gift for kid number 1, since, you know, they can get lost in the shuffle at moments like this. Can anyone think of a good gift to give to a three year old who's expecting a new sibling? A book would be great, but most of the relevant books I've seen have white characters, and this is a kid of color, so if I give her a book, I'd like it to reflect her and her multi-racial family. (other gift suggestions (non books) would also be great.)

#6 ·
My mom usually buys a baby doll for the new big sib(s) and crochets a doll blanket for the doll, in addition to making a baby-sized blanket for the new baby.

Sewing a doll is also a nice idea- and you can make the doll out of any color fabric that you feel is most appropriate for this particular family, or even a "non human" color such as purple or a print.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post

Sewing a doll is also a nice idea-

yes, it IS a nice idea! I laugh because it's so far out of range for me right now...but hmmm, maybe I'll ask her folks if she has a good doll. wait, I gave her a doll a year or two ago. hmmm.

#8 ·
I like the idea of a photo album. There are plenty of "girly" ones (think flowers, butterflies etc) around which I know my DD would love. Perhaps with a disposable camera for big sister to taker her own pictures.

How old is the big sister? My oldest was 2 when the new baby arrived and we got through lots of stickers, colouring books and the like while I sat with her at the table nursing DS.

#9 ·
You know, in all honesty if the older sibling is three, she is probably not going to get or care about the finer contexts of gift giving, ie. it doesn't have to be baby related like a hand stiched doll.....

If you rock up with a pressie, chances are that the older child is going to think it's fantastic no matter what it is.

My personal favorite gift for three years olds, aside from really neat books, is a good wooden puzzle, or something along those lines that they can manipulate and test their noggin' all at the same time.

#10 ·
My dd1 was 3 when dd2 was born and she received a few gifts from friends. Her favourite was a doll from my mom that came with a carrier and some other accessories. But she was happy to get any present, since that meant she was getting some attention for being the big sister. She also really liked that my aunt bought her and the baby matching sweaters - she thought that was pretty cool!

#13 ·
Yes, I hear what you are saying about it being a transition from an only child to being a sibling. It is hard, my DD was lucky that a good friend of mine was able to sympathise & be there for her in sometimes in ways that I couldn't when DS was born. Your friend's DD is lucky to have another mama outside the family who cares about her feelings too.....
s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.