What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? II - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1466 Old 05-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie Mama in MI View Post

I have seen thousands of active toddlers get the odd thump on the head, but I have never seen one sporting a bicycle helmet indoors or one with a diaper turban.
You know, a brightly colored Fuzzibunz with ears sewn where the leg holes are would make a delightful little hat
#302 of 1466 Old 05-21-2008, 11:26 PM

wow im just not sure about that baby no bumps product, lol. The first thing i thought of when i saw it was a sharp coffee table corner bonking the kid on the head right in the huge gaps in the foam. it seems like it just gives a false sense of security to me...

hahaha, i bet the grandmother who first made that product drove her daughter crazy trying to get her kid to wear it. "But he neeeds it because *insert ridiculous old wives tale about the tragic consequence of bumping your head* !!"
#303 of 1466 Old 05-22-2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
I can't believe this thread is at 15 pages and I am just seeing it now! I have a lot of reading to do!
15 pages, heck... This is a spin off of a thread with over five thousand replies. Here's the original, it's too much fun to miss:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ad.php?t=34933

Homeschooling, organic gardening, jewelry-making, bread-baking pagan mama to Bubba:
#304 of 1466 Old 05-22-2008, 10:07 AM

Oh yeah, The Original. I spent DS1's entire pregnancy reading that one!!! We had dial up and I'd sign online, open up about 15 pages worth in tabs, and sign off so as not to tie up the line. And just spend all my breaks that day reading.

My... how is she related to me... DH's step-dad's mama, lol... the UberMatriarch of the family... she had several homebirths and one UC (intentional but not for great reasons) and she's the ONLY person that ever asks me "You're still nursing, right?" Which is SO wonderful (esp since everyone in the family loathes her for some reason... because she speaks her mind!)... but once when I was about 6 weeks pregnant and DS was 15 months old, we were talking and I told her DS still nursed once during the night. And I was SO shocked when she said:

"Honey, you need to break him of that..."

like a dog?

But I must give credit, I assume that she assumed it would hurt the new baby. She seemed to have no issues w/ another family member nursing until 4.

Sunny coolshine.gif: gun toting, retired breastfeeding, car seat loving, guitar playing, home birthing and schooling mama to Jakob (10.06), Mikah (07.08) and Korah (07.11). uc.jpg 

#305 of 1466 Old 05-22-2008, 11:19 AM

Here's a winner from the pages of my life:
While attending my baby shower (having had my 1st baby prematurely just 3 days prior - bad idea, sure, but what did I know?), a cousin of DH's offered:

"Well, if you think about it, you're lucky. Since the nurses take care of him at night, you can get a lot more sleep!"

Most people laughed, nodded, and smilingly agreed.

I mustered up a polite smile, and choked out a whisper to DH, "Excuse me, I need to go pump..."

After the cake and the presents, I bawled almost all the way back to the hospital... It still takes all the grace I can get from God to remind myself that she just had no clue.

And this, similar to some other circ myth mentionings on this thread, a lovely gem of a conversation I had with my (genuinely) sweet MIL:
MIL, with one of her random-statements-disguised-as-a-question moments, said one day:
"Well, have you heard that the partners of men who aren't circumsized have like a 50% chance of getting cervical cancer?"

to which (as I held back both laughter and tears in my head...) I replied:
"Um, I don't think that's true...if it were...well, I'll put it this way: did you know that most men on this planet are NOT circumsized?"

To which she replied:
"Really?! Even in Europe?!"

:
#306 of 1466 Old 05-22-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abiyhayil View Post
my Aunt was being very cute with our nearly 4 mo making him smile and giggle. She turns to me very seriously and says ' You shouldn't make him giggle too much it'll make him stutter '
that's too funny!! LOL!!
#307 of 1466 Old 05-22-2008, 11:44 AM

I have a new one, form my mom no less!!!
She is a smart lady, and when I was pregnant, she told me that tons of people would be trying to tell me what to do, how to raise him, etc. She told me do do what I want, and what feel right for me.

The other day I told her that people are already telling us not to hold Adam too much or he'll get spoiled. My goodness, the boy is only 4 weeks old, he doesn't even know anything. He NEEDS to be held.
Anyways, this is what my mom said
Me: People tell is not to hold him too much
Mom: Well, don't hold him ALL of the time
Me: If he's content and kicking his legs and moving around, i'll leave him for a bit, but if he cries, I will NOT leave him lying there
Mom: Well how would you feel if someone was picking you up all of the time?

I'm Aicha . In love with my DH, and my Adam (4/23/08) . boobie monster.
#308 of 1466 Old 05-22-2008, 12:08 PM

Great thread...very addictive though, and i haven't gotten through all of THIS one yet, let alone the original!

I have lots.

When i was 24 weeks pregnant. Walking into work, the receptionist greeted me with "OH MY GOD!!! You are MASSIVE!! Why are you still at work? You can't have more than a week to go!". I get in the lift and go up to my office. En route to my desk a female colleague says, "You are so tiny! Are you really pregnant? Is the baby growing ok? Maybe you should eat more!" (i weighed 209lbs!).

When we planned to homebirth i was told "i would have died if i'd been at home" by seriously about 80% of the women i know! Many of whom had hospital births with NO intervention! So what? The baby peeked out and went "phew, i see tiles and chrome! No killing mummy today..." A few freinds asked me if midwives had to be qualified or if they were like grandmothers (!?) and one lady told me "You won't be able to register the birth because they only count them if they're born in hospital! You can't just write any old thing on the Place Of Birth line - it HAS to be a hospital!" I managed to tell her i had Australian friends with longitude and latitude on their kids BC's since there is no universally known name for their location!

On the phone when DD was 4 days old:
XMIL: Where is she?
Me: in my arms.
XMIL: She should be out in the garden getting air!
Me: We don't have a garden.
XMIL: Leave her in the street then...

When BFing i was told repeatedly by the mother of a friend to give DD tastes of food - "it's not REALLY solids! Just tastes" and when i declined warned me "Well, on your head be it - anything they haven't tasted by 5 months they won't eat as adults!" LMAO!!!

More recently DD was having a small meltdown (it's hard to be 2 right?). I was standing by waiting for my moment (she doesn't like immediate hugs, but there's almost always a break in screaming when sobbing begins where, if i get in quick, she'll accept a cuddle and some lovins) and an old woman came up to me and said "Are you going to let her away with that?" I just smiled and said "She's a bit over-tired" which she was. Old woman sniffed, "You can't let her think her opinion matters more than yours! You ought to give her a good smack!" To which i replied, in possibly my most triumphant mummy moment so far "You seem to think your opinion is pretty important." then limply raising my hand, "Do you want a good smack?" at which she looked terribly shocked and scuttled off muttering! LOL.
#309 of 1466 Old 05-22-2008, 12:17 PM

Well GoBecGo, I can either quote your entire post and say why each was fuuny or just say geeze-louise, you really do have some good ones!!

Mama to 3 year old DS and awaiting #2 in June
#310 of 1466 Old 05-22-2008, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBecGo View Post
More recently DD was having a small meltdown (it's hard to be 2 right?). I was standing by waiting for my moment (she doesn't like immediate hugs, but there's almost always a break in screaming when sobbing begins where, if i get in quick, she'll accept a cuddle and some lovins) and an old woman came up to me and said "Are you going to let her away with that?" I just smiled and said "She's a bit over-tired" which she was. Old woman sniffed, "You can't let her think her opinion matters more than yours! You ought to give her a good smack!" To which i replied, in possibly my most triumphant mummy moment so far "You seem to think your opinion is pretty important." then limply raising my hand, "Do you want a good smack?" at which she looked terribly shocked and scuttled off muttering! LOL.
You are my hero!!!

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#311 of 1466 Old 05-22-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumto2 View Post
I undress ds and she gasps to see a cloth diaper.

NP: Ewww.. I didn't think anyone used those anymore, we have disposables you know.
Me: Mmmm
NP: Well you'll have to stop using them when he's 12 months old or he'll never learn to walk.
Me; Really? (with a smirk) We all walk just fine and we wore cloth.
NP: Well that was before, modern kids just won't be able to do it.

I ran as fast as I could from that place!!!
That's funny, my CD DS started walking at 11 months? He must be a freak of nature in her eyes!

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
#312 of 1466 Old 05-22-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie Mama in MI View Post
I have seen thousands of active toddlers get the odd thump on the head, but I have never seen one sporting a bicycle helmet indoors or one with a diaper turban.
i was having a bad day until i read that

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#313 of 1466 Old 05-22-2008, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
"You can't let her think her opinion matters more than yours! You ought to give her a good smack!" To which i replied, in possibly my most triumphant mummy moment so far "You seem to think your opinion is pretty important." then limply raising my hand, "Do you want a good smack?" at which she looked terribly shocked and scuttled off muttering! LOL.

Can I use that?
#314 of 1466 Old 05-22-2008, 04:37 PM

Wow, that's great. She totally set herself up for that one. I think that's one of the best comebacks I've read on these threads.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#315 of 1466 Old 05-22-2008, 09:06 PM

GoBecGo, you had me laughing all the way through your post. Thanks! And for that final comeback!

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#316 of 1466 Old 05-23-2008, 02:30 AM

I got stopped by a woman in Whole Foods one day when i was 32 wks pg with DD. I am enormous when pg, but have tiny babies. Its just the way I am.

Woman: Twins.
Me: Excuse me?
Woman: Twins. Youre having twins. I can tell imediately when a woman is having twins, and youre definitely having twins.
Me: Nope. just one.
Woman: No, Its definitely twins. Have you had your ultrasound?
Me: Yes. One baby.
Woman: Well, they must not have looked very hard. (stoops down to talk to DS). Look at you, youre going to have 2 new brothers or sisters, you lucky boy! You'll have to help mommy a whole bunch!
(DS is looking terrified at the prospect of more than one new baby, and looks at me, panicked).
Me: No, its only one baby. They checked. (by this point I am wondering why I am bothering arguing with this crazy woman in the checkout line).
Woman: No, there is no way a woman carrying as large as you are is having only one baby, unless the baby is 15 pounds. Just wait until the doctor holds up 2 babies! You'll see I was right!

:
#317 of 1466 Old 05-23-2008, 03:17 AM

Guess what I just found on craigslist.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bab/682618874.html

Hahahahahaha! Pink baby helmets!

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#318 of 1466 Old 05-26-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Old woman sniffed, "You can't let her think her opinion matters more than yours! You ought to give her a good smack!" To which i replied, in possibly my most triumphant mummy moment so far "You seem to think your opinion is pretty important." then limply raising my hand, "Do you want a good smack?" LOL.
laughup:::nana:

Homeschooling, organic gardening, jewelry-making, bread-baking pagan mama to Bubba:
#319 of 1466 Old 06-04-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post

3. So many of the previous generations have little or no personal experience with breast feeding that there's some kind of mental block about it. Kinda like how my very intelligent father can't seem to grasp when to double click with the mouse and a computer and when not to. He double clicks everything, every time, no matter how often I explain it.

Oh and so I say something on topic: My GMIL swears her milk turned to water when her daughter was 5 months old and I need to keep an eye out in case it happens to me. She truly believes her breasts stopped producing milk and started producing water.
:
#320 of 1466 Old 06-05-2008, 06:06 PM

lol this thing cracks me up. im gonna read this anytime i have to see family it will keep me sane so here is my contribution.

I live in MD my inlaws have a house in missouri from the time i got pregnant until ... well.. still everytime i see me MIL she tells my ds (4 mos) that he is going to spend every summer with them in missouri. I smile.. and laugh (nicely) while in my head thinking over my cold dead body lady. (not even then in our will he stays with my family)

and as if they want to reinforce my decision

FIL you need to put honey and koolaid on his pacifier
ME no its not healthy they found out that honey can give babies botulism
FIL no it wont we all did it. you dont want him to get bored
ME well actually would rather have him be bored then have botulism so i think if he gets bored ill just play with him.

next visit

FIL when are you going to teach him to swim?
ME whenever he wants to learn.
FIL got to get them in the water early or theyll be afraid of it
ME we will when the time comes
FIl DH was afraid of the water when he was little so when we were at the pool i just threw him in
ME how old was he?
FIL 2
i said nothing since the only thing that came to mind was it such ashame you cant be arrested for sheer stupdity

not to say my side of the family is perfect on top of their constant need to try and convince me to put him in a crib to sleep. I swaddle him my aunt says hes going to suffocate. i jiggle him a little grandma says hes going to get shaken baby syndrome. but my personal favorite... aww theres my baby, give him to me..why do you get him out of that sling he wants his _______ insert w/e relative here.

and recently .. gosh dont try and breastfeed again! what would you do if he started to refuse the bottle? (throw a party lol)
#321 of 1466 Old 06-11-2008, 09:09 PM

My mother is forever second-guessing my ability to care for my 23 mo ds. She says things like, "Shouldn't he have a coat?" "He's tired, mama, he needs a nap." "You should take off his coat, he's too hot." Mostly she's just looking out for her beloved grandson, but she has earned a reputation of second guessing one's mothering skills.

She went too far last week, though. At her house, a bird has nested in an eave near a window, and laid eggs there. My mom was griping about how the mama bird often leaves the nest, and leaves the eggs alone in the cool mornings. Mom was fretting about the baby birds getting cold.

I said, "Mom, I'm sure the mama robin has it under control."

Mom said, "You'd think so. I sure hope she knows what she's doing."

I laughed at her, I couldn't help it. She actually thought she knew how to care for eggs better than a mama robin. My mother, the interventionist.

PS. The baby robins hatched a few days ago and are just fine, of course. They'll never know just how close their mama came to being reported to the birdie CPS...

#322 of 1466 Old 06-11-2008, 09:39 PM

Oh, Hippie Mama, that was too funny! :

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#323 of 1466 Old 06-11-2008, 09:43 PM

: birdie CPS

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#324 of 1466 Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
I think the worst ones I ever got were:

Mil: (when my oldest dd was less than a year) You better quit nursing or she'll turn into a d*ke. :
My Grandpa told my mom that because I learned how to whistle that I was (same thing, more colorful language).
#325 of 1466 Old 06-12-2008, 01:56 PM

my father is a 'that kid needs a coat' kind of person. my mother is more 'you are not feeding him enough.'

she came to visit when ds was 18 months or so - old enough to eat pretty much anything but not old enough to be thoroughly vocal about wants and needs. we live in different states. the first thing she said when she got off the plane and saw him was "he looks like he's starving!" (meanwhile my son was always off the charts HUGE...)

so one day he's being really fussy... clingy... just not acting right. she insists he's hungry. "he needs to eat!" both of my parents, when they visit, they buy lots of snacks. so my mother is feeding him things like slim jims, strawberries, bologna, i forget what all else. i didn't even notice her slipping him half this stuff (and I'm not saying it's all bad stuff, just he doesn't need to eat that much but my son is very obliging and she just kept feeding him). next thing i know he is standing in the middle of the living room and he starts throwing up. it was the first time he'd ever thrown up so he was terrified. i stood there completely amazed at the sheer volume of food coming out of this child, to say nothing of the array of textures and colors. it just kept coming and coming and coming... i didn't know all that food could fit in a person so small.

afterwards he was really upset and clinging and crying and just wanted to snuggle - he had a fever, obviously it was the start of a stomach bug. THAT was why he'd been so crabby and "off" all day.

but omg. my mother had a different explanation. she said "now look, he just threw up all that food, he's probably hungry! you should feed him something!"

eta - this was the same visit where my mother laid into me that my being severely underweight was at the root of my infertility struggles. "severely underweight" at 145 pounds, 5'4. i somehow never before realized how effed up my mother is about food, weight, eating - it all came to a head this visit. we didn't talk for a year...

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#326 of 1466 Old 06-12-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerDuck View Post
"severely underweight" at 145 pounds, 5'4.
Wow. I'm 5'4" and am trying to get BACK to 145 after having a baby. And I'm supposed to be 135 to be "average" let alone "slender." But I haven't seen 135 since, oh, junior high school

at the birdie CPS story.

This probably doesn't fit under "worst," but it was certainly funny. My MIL, bless her, thinks BFing is weird but has been striving to be supportive. The only thing she was doing that was annoying was talking about how early her four strapping sons had oatmeal in their formula to fatten them up.

My SIL just had a baby, and on her first visit to the family home, we put my then-16 week old son next to the week-old girl (who was born much heavier than my son, BTW). My kid looked enormous, all chubby legs and arms and cheeks.

My MIL was quiet for a minute, and then turned to my SIL, and said, "You're going to breastfeed that baby, aren't you?"

Mama to EG, Mate to MD, Writer, Editor, International Jewel Thief.
#327 of 1466 Old 06-12-2008, 06:21 PM

to make perfectly clear - 145 is NOT underweight for 5'4 by any logical stretch of the imagination. but i come from a fat family with weight issues ... compared to my family i am SKINNY. ideally I would be 135, too - I have seen myself at 135 and think it is my body's perfect weight.

after having the twins I'll be lucky to see the underside of 150 any time soon... dunno if that will ever happen especially since reading recently that domperidone contributes to weight gain. ugh.

DS T 11/16/03 DDs K & E 3/28/08
nak DS S 4/1/11
#328 of 1466 Old 06-13-2008, 12:14 AM

Ooh, I just remembered another one while reading through the latest posts...

My grandparents had come down to VA from NY for a visit when DS was 8 months old or so. They showed up right as DS was ready to nap, so after I greeted them, I took him upstairs, nursed him, and laid him down to sleep. I came back down emptyhanded and they stared at me and said, "What did you do with the baby?" I said, "I put him down for a nap." My grandmother looked at me in annoyance and said, "Why did you have to put him down NOW?" Gee, I guess I should have forced him to stay awake so you could drool over him while he got tired and cranky. It's not like he's not going to be awake again in an hour or so anyway!

Granted, this was from the same grandmother who tried telling me to quit BFing because it was "taking away all my strength" and making me too pale. I suppose it slipped her mind that I'm Swedish/Irish and therefore white as a sheet of paper, bless her senile old heart.
#329 of 1466 Old 06-13-2008, 12:19 AM

I]At a BFing class...[/I]
A mother was there with her pregnant daughter. The mother had not BF any of her kids and seemed very unsupportive of daughter BFing. She actually was telling stories about all the "inappropriate" places where women BF. She was complaining to the class about how some women "just whip it out anywhere"... her example- a hair salon. "I don't need to see that." She also talked through the entire class and GIGGLED at the latching pictures- OMG- boobies!

At the hospital, after giving birth...

A new nurse came on shift. I'd just been having some skin-to-skin time with DD (who was about 24 hours old). I'd heard that it helped with nursing (it did). The nurse walks in and gasps, "WHERE are her CLOTHES?" I explained, and she said she'd never heard of that and acted completely disgusted.

During pregnancy...
Too many comments to count, but I went to a training for the job I'm starting in a month (when DS will be 12 weeks) and the guy leading it pulls me aside and says, skeptically, "I hope your baby's sleeping through the night by then."
Another guy, at the gym, seemed to by endlessly fascinated by the fact that I was working out while pregnant. One real gem was when he asked me about working out while pregnant, and then said, "Well, I hope that works out for you."
#330 of 1466 Old 06-13-2008, 02:05 AM

I'm not going to mention who said this in case they just so happen to read these boards.. *HA* About my 6 week old baby (at the time) who doesn't really like to be put down. "Uh oh, he is getting used to being held. Better nip that in the bud. Don't want to spoil him."ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page