What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? II - Page 21 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#601 of 1466 Old 08-07-2008, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The absolute new low for me:

We're out camping and Boy Wonder ist playing, crawling between people. One girl starts giggling:
"Are you going between my legs, are you going between my legs?? Haha." I am already thinking, dude, you make that sound weird.
But it get's better. I remove Boy Wonder and she keeps it coming: Are you going between my legs, aren't you a little too young for that?"

WTF???????????? ::
What the heck makes you say that to a 17 months old toddler???
#602 of 1466 Old 08-08-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Exile View Post
What the heck makes you say that to a 17 months old toddler???
What on EARTH would compel a person to say that?!!! Wow. Just when I thought bathtub water up the butt and belly button cooties were as low as it got (not even going into the neighbor who insists the poster's boy is a girl), you get *this*! How disturbing!! Can i ask how old this girl is or was??

Wife to one amazing man, unschooly mama to 2 boys daily (8/99 and 6/06), mom to 4 boys (6/94 and 2/00) and countless exchange students, praying to someday homebirth a daughter...
#603 of 1466 Old 08-08-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capagrl View Post
What on EARTH would compel a person to say that?!!! Wow. Just when I thought bathtub water up the butt and belly button cooties were as low as it got (not even going into the neighbor who insists the poster's boy is a girl), you get *this*! How disturbing!! Can i ask how old this girl is or was??
I believe she was over thirty....well educated engineer...no children as of yet. I guess she thought that was funny.
#604 of 1466 Old 08-08-2008, 10:24 AM

Okaaaay.

ew.
#605 of 1466 Old 08-08-2008, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHat View Post
My mother told me one. When she was feeding me after my birth, the nurses in the hospital told her that pulling up her shirt to breastfeed was unsanitary.
??? Pulling up a shirt is unsanitary in a place where they regularly stick people in open backed gowns?
#606 of 1466 Old 08-08-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapPearls View Post
Got a sling one.

I had ds#3 in a ring sling and he was sound asleep and a greeter at walmart stopped me on the way in.

Her: "Can I see? ... how old is he?"
Me: "2 weeks." with a big proud mama smile.
Her: "Oh that looks uncomfortable! He's all squished in there!"
Me: "He loves it. He was like that for 9 months. He wouldn't be sleeping if he was uncomfortable."
Her: "Don't you bump him on the cart?"
Me: "No."
She just shook her head and I went about my shopping.

On the way out:
Her: "That can't be comfortable. He still looks all squished."
Me: "He's sleeping. I love it, he loves it." Proud mama smile and I walk away.

I'm glad that I was stopped more for "That is so cool! Where did you get it?/I wish I had one when I had my babies." more then I got bad comments about slings. I educated a lot of people on babywearing during my grocery trips.
A cashier at home depot did the same thing, but she started poking the sling trying to get my daughter to move.

"She's so squished she can't breathe"

I was like I just got her to sleep, and took a step back. My DH laughed the whole way to the car.

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#607 of 1466 Old 08-09-2008, 10:06 PM

I have a few:

From a doula that runs the moms group at the birth center: "I think that there are some good things about AP, but the part that gets me is they reccomend BFing for a full year. That just seems unreasonable to expect that of moms." She also practically jumped on me for starting to say something negative about CIO. We switched to the other doula's moms group.

From MIL when DS was about 3 months old:
MIL: I can watch him so you guys can go see a movie.
DH: No, we can't really do that because we never know when he's going to be hungry. (And I have no desire to leave him in anyone else's care!)
MIL: Well you HAVE to put him on a schedule!
DH: Just so you know, if DW heard you say that on a bad day, she would have jumped down your throat.
MIL: Silence...

MIL: I just think he would sleep so much better if he were in his own room.
DH: No, he wouldn't. ()
MIL: Well at least you guys would. (Yes, because we place our sleep needs above our child's comfort and security).

Not about parenting, but we got this from DS's pediatrician when we asked about spacing out his vax:
Pedi: "I'm fine with that, but just so you're aware, that means more rides in the car and therefore more potential that he'll be in a car accident." : Uh, so by that reasoning we shouldn't see the dr or do any vax at all, let alone leave the house!

Vegan family since 2011 - Wonderful DS1 born 1/08. Treasured DS2  born 11/10.

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better." - Maya Angelou

#608 of 1466 Old 08-10-2008, 03:47 AM
luv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJunkie View Post
Not about parenting, but we got this from DS's pediatrician when we asked about spacing out his vax:
Pedi: "I'm fine with that, but just so you're aware, that means more rides in the car and therefore more potential that he'll be in a car accident." : Uh, so by that reasoning we shouldn't see the dr or do any vax at all, let alone leave the house!
I just read this to my hubby. His reply "Hey well SOME docs have to graduate at the BOTTOM of their class!"

-luv
#609 of 1466 Old 08-10-2008, 03:55 AM

Quote:
that.is.priceless.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#610 of 1466 Old 08-10-2008, 07:19 AM

Quote:
I have no idea - should I laugh or should I cry?! Man, oh man, someone find me a better adjective than "ridiculous" b/c I am at a total loss for words on that!

Wife to one amazing man, unschooly mama to 2 boys daily (8/99 and 6/06), mom to 4 boys (6/94 and 2/00) and countless exchange students, praying to someday homebirth a daughter...
#611 of 1466 Old 08-10-2008, 02:26 PM

I got a good one yesterday. DS is 10 1/2 months old, 8 teeth, and can walk 10 feet if not distracted. I was at a party, and gave him a piece of celery off a veggie tray.

He was sitting on the floor next to me, grinning at everyone with a great big "Yum!" smile, with it crammed in his mouth, like a puppy with a bone, and this woman I had just met walks over, very concerned, and asks me "Is he chewing well enough yet to have that?"

I paused. In my head: "Well, we're about to find out. Anyone know CPR?" "Nope. My PPD returned just a second ago.*" "Don't worry, I stuck a wire grate in the back of his mouth before we left the house, so he can't choke."

But, as I had just met her, I simply reassured her that he does just fine with fresh veggies, and we encourage him to self feed anything firm enough for him to pick up.

Later, same person, "Wow, he's being really good for a diaper change!" ...Duh, he wants the pee off!

*I know most people will say it's not funny to joke about, but I had it really, really bad, and joking about it helps me. Sorry if that line offends anyone.
#612 of 1466 Old 08-10-2008, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Got a sling one.

I had ds#3 in a ring sling and he was sound asleep and a greeter at walmart stopped me on the way in.

Her: "Can I see? ... how old is he?"
Me: "2 weeks." with a big proud mama smile.
Her: "Oh that looks uncomfortable! He's all squished in there!"
Me: "He loves it. He was like that for 9 months. He wouldn't be sleeping if he was uncomfortable."
Her: "Don't you bump him on the cart?"
Me: "No."
She just shook her head and I went about my shopping.

On the way out:
Her: "That can't be comfortable. He still looks all squished."
Me: "He's sleeping. I love it, he loves it." Proud mama smile and I walk away.

I'm glad that I was stopped more for "That is so cool! Where did you get it?/I wish I had one when I had my babies." more then I got bad comments about slings. I educated a lot of people on babywearing during my grocery trips.
I don't know if I've ever done it w/ a shopping cart... but I have bumped DD's head more than once on various things while wearing her. s

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products 9/1/14! Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#613 of 1466 Old 08-10-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
I don't know if I've ever done it w/ a shopping cart... but I have bumped DD's head more than once on various things while wearing her. s
I wear DS on my back in the ergo around the house. I'm always knocking his feet into doorframes because they stick out from my sides. And once, I swung open the freezer door and it went over my shoulder and hit him smack in the head.
#614 of 1466 Old 08-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have a few:

From a doula that runs the moms group at the birth center: "I think that there are some good things about AP, but the part that gets me is they reccomend BFing for a full year. That just seems unreasonable to expect that of moms." She also practically jumped on me for starting to say something negative about CIO. We switched to the other doula's moms group.

From MIL when DS was about 3 months old:
MIL: I can watch him so you guys can go see a movie.
DH: No, we can't really do that because we never know when he's going to be hungry. (And I have no desire to leave him in anyone else's care!)
MIL: Well you HAVE to put him on a schedule!
DH: Just so you know, if DW heard you say that on a bad day, she would have jumped down your throat.
MIL: Silence...

MIL: I just think he would sleep so much better if he were in his own room.
DH: No, he wouldn't. ()
MIL: Well at least you guys would. (Yes, because we place our sleep needs above our child's comfort and security).

: for your awesome, supportive hubby!

And regarding the ped: Wasn't there some other comment about someone assuming a mom never left the house b/c she hadn't been away from the baby? Does all this indicate that some people seriously think babies never leave the house??? Weird!

I got some terrible comments from MY doctor, who was making up different percentages about how much of the medicine DD would get (I was there for a much needed strep test--luckily I was neg so I didn't have to take atbx), like saying 10% first, then 50%, just throwing out whatever he felt like saying b/c obviously he knew nothing about BFing. He was of course shocked that my BFing baby was 14mo and that we nursed an unknown number of times a day, and tried telling me to just take the meds after nursing her in the evening and just not nursing her at night Buddy, if it were that simple, I'd get 8 hours a night, right??? And then he talked about how most babies are weaned at a year, and I got to say NO, MOST babies nurse until about 3 to 5 years! And then he said you have to watch out when they get teeth, because, they will, and I quote, "bite bite you." Yeah, "bite bite" I feel like telling that guy I am fully educated woman with nearly as much schooling as he, not actually a 14mo. Actually, I told him DD HAS 6 teeth and has never bitten me. And he wasn't going to change my mind b/c I knew it was the best thing for her. And he asked me if it was for ME or her I really wanted to ask him if HE had lactating breasts. No? Well, golly, I DO! So maybe I know a lil bit more about it than him!!!

Moron! I have new insurance and will never go there again
#615 of 1466 Old 08-10-2008, 09:44 PM

Well, you know the old joke....
Q: What do you call a guy who graduated last in his class in medical school?
A: Doctor.

Sounds like you guys had bottom-of-the-class doctors, all right!
#616 of 1466 Old 08-11-2008, 01:49 AM

St. Margaret, I'm jealous, my 13mo DS BITE BITES me all the time, usually because he's getting a new tooth (10 so far and he's got a new bruised gum spot so a new one soon). His last two were molars and aren't all the way thru yet so sometimes he would like to chew the tittie :. But I don't care, I'm still nursing the little guy, and yes it is for HIM, if it was for me I would have stopped at the first tooth .

But I will miss nursing him when he stops, even with the biting, nursing is wonderful :

Michelle : wife to awesome DH Aaron : since (04/02), mom to DS Michael (07/07) and bio-mom to Ember (07/84), : , TANSTAAFL
#617 of 1466 Old 08-11-2008, 02:46 AM

Ok...So I'm only 20 years old, so I get A LOT of strangers and ALL of my boyfriend's family hassling me about attachment parenting. My mom, husband and my friends are the only people who agree with me.

GIL: I think the baby pooped.
ME: Oh my, it's going to be a big one since he hasn't pooped in 3 days.
GIL: WHAT?!!?!?! You need to call the pediatrician, something is wrong!
ME: ::explanation of breastfed babies and digestion::
GIL: Where did you hear that crap? I have never heard of such a thing, and I had SIX (formula fed) babies.
ME: Ok...

SIL: You know your boobs will be saggy for the rest of your life if you don't stop BF'ing now.
ME: Oh, goody!

We recently took a family hell...I mean vacation for a week.

MIL to lifeguard at pool: SHE hasn't even started him on solids!
LG: What?!? You know, kids these days are just so lazy...
ME: I know, damn those kids and their parenting skills...

Which led to this:
I was in the shower and asked my SIL to watch the baby (big mistake).
I get out of the shower 10 minutes later and find my 4 month old's face covered in cake frosting, baked beans, french onion dip, cheeze whiz and coffee. The rest of the week he spit up, which he never does, and had diarrhea. They blamed all of that on teething.

Oh man, I'm mad just thinking about all of this. I have SO many more stories.
#618 of 1466 Old 08-11-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboymelissa View Post
*snip*
Which led to this:
I get out of the shower 10 minutes later and find my 4 month old's face covered in cake frosting, baked beans, french onion dip, cheeze whiz and coffee. The rest of the week he spit up, which he never does, and had diarrhea. They blamed all of that on teething.

SIL would never see my son again. I would still be livid had it been cereal or baby food, but at least thats more healthful than the crap she gave him. This is why I'm glad I've written off my sisters because if they even thought about doing something like that I'm not sure what I would have done! SS for you and the litte one, momma!

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#619 of 1466 Old 08-11-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:

That's not even a casual, "he wanted what I was eating," that's a deliberate "eat up quick before she gets back!"

Glad to hear that the people closest to you are on board!

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#620 of 1466 Old 08-12-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisent View Post
I wear DS on my back in the ergo around the house. I'm always knocking his feet into doorframes because they stick out from my sides. And once, I swung open the freezer door and it went over my shoulder and hit him smack in the head.
Yeah, I've done some baby bumping while wearing him. Door frames are my enemy.
#621 of 1466 Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
We recently took a family hell...I mean vacation for a week.

MIL to lifeguard at pool: SHE hasn't even started him on solids!
LG: What?!? You know, kids these days are just so lazy...
ME: I know, damn those kids and their parenting skills...

Which led to this:

Why was she talking to a strange life guard about your parenting?

With the food, HECK NO! I would never allow them to be with my baby alone if they pulled that. That's so awful. Poor little guy.
#622 of 1466 Old 08-12-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I wonder what SIL would do if you threatened to sneak her kids breastmilk without her permission. Maybe then she would get it.
#623 of 1466 Old 08-12-2008, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Pedi: "I'm fine with that, but just so you're aware, that means more rides in the car and therefore more potential that he'll be in a car accident." Uh, so by that reasoning we shouldn't see the dr or do any vax at all, let alone leave the house!
That is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Grasping at straws, anyone?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#624 of 1466 Old 08-12-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I've done some baby bumping while wearing him. Door frames are my enemy.
Yeah, but I do that all the time while just carrying him. So does wearing him really increase the bumpage?

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#625 of 1466 Old 08-15-2008, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
: "Ex-cuse me!? That "thing" is MY baby." Then walk away. Bonus points for making them explain for 5+ minutes that they meant the carrier, but you have to keep a straight face.

The classic retort, "Well, I'm the mom, so your opinion really isn't worth anything, but thanks for thinking of me. Want some bean dip?"

Look mom, I'm sorry you feel left out, but I'm not about to offer you the other side."

sapphire chan, I just. plain. adore. you.

Your posts always make me ROFLMAO. Just had to say so.

Homeschooling, organic gardening, jewelry-making, bread-baking pagan mama to Bubba:
#626 of 1466 Old 08-15-2008, 03:01 AM

Oh so many moments to recall, but this is the one that left me dumbfounded...

A friend's Nana (who drives me crazy at the best of times), started into me (when I was 8 1/2 mos preg, way to poke the bear!) about homebirth. I was trying to explain the saftey, how midwives are now covered by the government (terms she'd understand), and that many of them go to school for a VERY long time. Her response...
"why wouldn't they just become doctors, then!?"

I tried to continue the conversation CALMLY! Next statement...

"In my day you just went to the hospital and did what you were told. You girls just know too much now, it's ridiculous."

#627 of 1466 Old 08-15-2008, 08:38 AM

I have heard nearly the same wording from my mom. Enough to make you wanna tear your (or their) hair out.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#628 of 1466 Old 08-15-2008, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fate_loves_flower View Post
"In my day you just went to the hospital and did what you were told. You girls just know too much now, it's ridiculous."
: And thank God we are educated now since it's OUR bodies and OUR babies! Who knows how many deaths and injuries have been prevented because we're now informed??!! Gah!!! :
#629 of 1466 Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmommy5 View Post
Comming out of lurkdom to say my mil is the same way, this is "her" grandbaby and she is so excited about "her" litle girl comming blah blah blah, she was the same way with ds and it drives me nuts! She actually went so far last pregnancy as to thank me for taking pre-natal vitamins and growing "her" such a healthy baby. Give me a break.
Oh, I don't know. I guess there are definite boundaries everyone needs to define and respect. But, I think that's kind of sweet that she reminded you about pre-natal vitamins (not that you needed the reminder). It shows she cared.

Believe me, I'd take that over the rude and obnoxious comments that I've heard from my mother and the absence of a grandmother role because she is unable to be a grandmother in any sense.
#630 of 1466 Old 08-15-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Is Nice View Post
Oh, I don't know. I guess there are definite boundaries everyone needs to define and respect. But, I think that's kind of sweet that she reminded you about pre-natal vitamins (not that you needed the reminder). It shows she cared.

Believe me, I'd take that over the rude and obnoxious comments that I've heard from my mother and the absence of a grandmother role because she is unable to be a grandmother in any sense.
Well, on the other spectrum it's not that nice when you "failed to grow a healthy baby for grandma"- my 38 weeker was only 5 pounds 13 ounces and had to be hospitalized- just wait for the "what did YOU do?????" Yeah, I'm a pescetarian, that's right, the fact that I didn't stuff myself with meat being pregnant robbed my dear child of nutrients.

Trust me, the "you're growing a baby for me" stuff can be veru UNfunny.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page