What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? II - Page 23 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#661 of 1466 Old 08-20-2008, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmcwhorter View Post
We're quite liberal, and she's quite "conservative", so I'm not surprised I guess. Just seems so ignorant (as if clothes make someone gay) & mean-spirited (I mean, would she not love her grandson if he did "turn out" gay???).
Just had to say there are conservatives on this board too. I wouldn't think that. You can't make anyone gay by dressing them with something someone might think is feminine. It's silly though to make assumptions just because someone is a conservative that they think badly about gays. I've had many gay friends. You are who you are.

From one APing conservative mama.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#662 of 1466 Old 08-20-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post
Just had to say there are conservatives on this board too. I wouldn't think that. You can't make anyone gay by dressing them with something someone might think is feminine. It's silly though to make assumptions just because someone is a conservative that they think badly about gays. I've had many gay friends. You are who you are.

From one APing conservative mama.
: contribute that womans comments to her innate meanness and stupidity, not her political orientation.
#663 of 1466 Old 09-02-2008, 11:22 PM

...just call me the thread killer
#664 of 1466 Old 09-03-2008, 12:29 AM

Don't say that! I love this thread. Please, everyone keep posting, so I can keep :!

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#665 of 1466 Old 09-03-2008, 12:49 AM

To get back on track, here is a quickie:

My MIL told us not to let DD hang upside down, because her liver might become detached!

She has lots of silly wives tales (cat will steal baby's breath, etc...)
#666 of 1466 Old 09-03-2008, 12:56 AM

That one's new to me!

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#667 of 1466 Old 09-03-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka77 View Post

My MIL told us not to let DD hang upside down, because her liver might become detached!

what????
I have heard a lot of stories, but that's a new one!

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#668 of 1466 Old 09-04-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:

That one's just cracking me up, b/c of the anatomy of it all. I mean, if anything will detach it, being upright would seem more likely to do it....
#669 of 1466 Old 09-04-2008, 05:33 AM

I live in Hawaii and we go to the beach a lot. When I was pregnant, my grandmother would chastise me for it every time I called her. She kept telling me that I needed to stay away from the water because it was dangerous - she told me she was worried I would be attacked by a shark! She was absolutely convinced and it got so bad that my mother made me swear to lie and say I wasn't going swimming anymore.

I guess that's what you get for living your entire life inland and knowing nothing about the ocean. My chances of getting attacked by a shark are less than being struck by lightning.

And yet, it was perfectly fine with her for me to get in the car and drive to work every day while pregnant. Yeesh!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#670 of 1466 Old 09-04-2008, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
I live in Hawaii and we go to the beach a lot. When I was pregnant, my grandmother would chastise me for it every time I called her. She kept telling me that I needed to stay away from the water because it was dangerous - she told me she was worried I would be attacked by a shark! She was absolutely convinced and it got so bad that my mother made me swear to lie and say I wasn't going swimming anymore.

I guess that's what you get for living your entire life inland and knowing nothing about the ocean. My chances of getting attacked by a shark are less than being struck by lightning.

And yet, it was perfectly fine with her for me to get in the car and drive to work every day while pregnant. Yeesh!
What stands out for me, is apparently she didn't care if *you* got eaten by a shark since she only worried when you were pregnant. Or did she think you used to be able to swim faster than sharks?
#671 of 1466 Old 09-04-2008, 09:00 AM

:
#672 of 1466 Old 09-04-2008, 02:35 PM

Ok I have a new one. DS has just started to eat solids and we are doing it baby-led style. Anyway DH told his mom about how DS was enjoying a banana and how we gave him half of one with some of the skin on it and he was tasting it and squishing it etc.

She said to him "Why are you doing that, it's just messy and you should spoon feed him or he will never learn to eat at the table. Your sister did that with her children and it was so messy and now they don't know how to eat at the table"

Actually the 7 year old is fine at eating at the table when we have a family thing and the 5 year old has Aspergers and he has a really hard time sitting at the table.

Oh and actually DS does eat at the table with us in his booster chair

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#673 of 1466 Old 09-04-2008, 02:52 PM

: every time my dad & his wife come over to visit the baby during her cranky time, when nothing will console her except to BF, she asks me if the doctors told me that i can give her sugar water. i tell her no, there's no reason to give her anything other than BM. then the next time they come over, she asks me the same thing, as if to imply that i *should* be giving her sugar water. why oh why should i give her anything with no nutritional value whatsoever, when she is so easily consoled by BFing? this has happened 3-4 times already.

this isn't anything they've said, but i'd like to vent about the amount of stinky perfume and cologne that my dad & his wife wear. it gets all over my DD and she stinks. it even got on my hands just from holding her. not only does it stink but i don't want it getting all over her skin and i don't want her breathing its fumes.

my DH & i have decided to say something to them about this, even if it will hurt their feelings. i'm tired of having my daughter reak of cheap perfume. :

Mama to an IVF baby girl, Lennon Emelia, born 6/3/08! and the Junebug kitty... Missing the Jeddy and Ashes kitties
#674 of 1466 Old 09-04-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehairedwoman View Post
i'm tired of having my daughter reak of cheap perfume. :
I know what you mean. This happened to me with my SIL when DS was only a week or two old. I think there was something that really bothered me about my baby smelling like another woman as well as the other issues. Probably overactive hormones but I would bathe DS right after she left, :.

Michelle : wife to awesome DH Aaron : since (04/02), mom to DS Michael (07/07) and bio-mom to Ember (07/84), : , TANSTAAFL
#675 of 1466 Old 09-04-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadheadmomma View Post
I know what you mean. This happened to me with my SIL when DS was only a week or two old. I think there was something that really bothered me about my baby smelling like another woman as well as the other issues. Probably overactive hormones but I would bathe DS right after she left, :.
we even bathed her afterwards and she still smelled! her dr. bronners baby mild soap was no match for gallons of cologne.

i am planning on saying something about it. i will spin it from a medical perspective though, i.e. tll them that she has been getting rashes and the dr. told us not to let her come into contact with perfumes (which we don't do anyway). ugh.

Mama to an IVF baby girl, Lennon Emelia, born 6/3/08! and the Junebug kitty... Missing the Jeddy and Ashes kitties
#676 of 1466 Old 09-04-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
My MIL came to the hospital as if she bathed in it, awful. And I love my MIL-but it seems that people lose the "what are newborns like" instinct when they don't have a baby anymore.
We already had huge breastfeeding issues and her stinkin' up the room was no help at all.

I couldn't even use a scented deodorant for a year, only unscented, he started to cry when I masked the "mama scent" too much. My husband couldn't use aftershave as well, he started crying.

A baby's nose is still veeeeeery fresh and easy to overwhelm, people forget that, same with noise- I always hated how clueless people were when they yelled into his ear "oooooooh, are SLEEEEEEEPING baby??- while yanking his legs in the baby wrap.
#677 of 1466 Old 09-04-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I think there was something that really bothered me about my baby smelling like another woman as well as the other issues. Probably overactive hormones but I would bathe DS right after she left, :.
I know exactly how you feel. I hate when people hold my baby because even if they are not wearing perfume, my baby still ends up smelling like them and it drives me bonkers. Once the neighbor's teenage daughter came over (she LOVES my baby, so I let her see her all the time) and held her for a little while and when I got her back, I couldn't smell my baby. She smelled like someone else's scent and detergent. It drove me absolutely wild! I could only stand it for about three minutes before I went and scrubbed my baby down in the bath, even though she had already had a bath that morning.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#678 of 1466 Old 09-04-2008, 08:21 PM

My MIL only bathes like twice a week, maybe (I've never asked.) Either way she smells like a weird mix between BO and something else (it's subtle.) Anyway, my son comes home from grandmas smelling just like her and it drives me up a wall. My daughter never came home smelling like that probably because she wasn't (and still isn't) cuddley. I never realized how bad it was until my son was born.

Mama of three.

#679 of 1466 Old 09-04-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Wasn't that in an episode of House recently? It wasn't a baby. A grown woman's liver was hanging. She was fine laying down, but passed out whenever they stood her up.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#680 of 1466 Old 09-07-2008, 07:19 PM

This one is not so bad but I will relay it anyway. I was grocery shopping with my 11 month old on my back in the Ergo. She clearly was happy. The cashier said, "You should get one of those Baby Bjorn's where they hang from the front." I said, "Oh no, those kill your back. I had one for my first and I deliberately did not give it to a friend because I didn't want to subject them to the pain." I usually am not outspoken about my opinions to strangers so I was proud for clearly stating my opinion.
#681 of 1466 Old 09-07-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beru View Post
This one is not so bad but I will relay it anyway. I was grocery shopping with my 11 month old on my back in the Ergo. She clearly was happy. The cashier said, "You should get one of those Baby Bjorn's where they hang from the front." I said, "Oh no, those kill your back. I had one for my first and I deliberately did not give it to a friend because I didn't want to subject them to the pain." I usually am not outspoken about my opinions to strangers so I was proud for clearly stating my opinion.
My friend loaned me hers and I could not believe how painful it was. I could not hold my 3-month-old in it for even five minutes. I remember telling my husband that I couldn't even believe that they had tested the thing themselves before putting it on the market.

The worst parenting advice I'm getting right now is pretty much constant and I'm getting it from EVERYONE. Before I had a baby, everyone told me how it ws going to be. I already knew I was going to do natural/attachment parenting practices.

Everyone, even people without kids, were telling me I couldn't do anything I had planned.

"Oh, you'll be begging for the drugs, trust me. There's no such thing as women having 'natural' childbirth."

"Cloth diapers? Yeah, whatever. I give it two days before you give up and go to disposables."

"Sweetie, pregnancy isn't all that. It's the most miserable time of your life and you'll wish you'd never wanted kids."

Well, that advice wasn't the stupidest advice I ever got. The dumbest advice I ever got was the continued advice along the same vein that I am STILL getting for the people who know I ended up doing all of those things with a smile on my face.

"Homeschool your own kids? Yeah, right. You'll be putting them in public school after two weeks, you just wait and see."

Well, after pregnancy being the best 9 months of my life (no offense to those who had difficult pregnancies), having a drug-free UNASSISTED childbirth, and a ECd baby who's tiny tush has never once touched a plastic diaper, you'd think they would actually see some sense by now.

But no. I still am somehow incapable of caring for my children the way I want to. "It's just too hard!"

#682 of 1466 Old 09-07-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
"Homeschool your own kids? Yeah, right. You'll be putting them in public school after two weeks, you just wait and see."

Well, after pregnancy being the best 9 months of my life (no offense to those who had difficult pregnancies), having a drug-free UNASSISTED childbirth, and a ECd baby who's tiny tush has never once touched a plastic diaper, you'd think they would actually see some sense by now.

But no. I still am somehow incapable of caring for my children the way I want to. "It's just too hard!"

:

dd homeschooled to college; you're going to love it.
#683 of 1466 Old 09-07-2008, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Wasn't that in an episode of House recently? It wasn't a baby. A grown woman's liver was hanging. She was fine laying down, but passed out whenever they stood her up.
Wasn't it a kidney?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#684 of 1466 Old 09-08-2008, 12:58 AM

My mother is finding it very hard to accept the way we are parenting our daughter. When I told her that I won't be buying a crib for my 10 week old DD, and that we will keep her in our bed, she told me that it is unhygienic!!!
Poor Mum . We are loving every minute of sleeping together!

Veronika - loving my barefoot child living happily on the west coast shop Barefoot Books
#685 of 1466 Old 09-08-2008, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlove View Post
My mother is finding it very hard to accept the way we are parenting our daughter. When I told her that I won't be buying a crib for my 10 week old DD, and that we will keep her in our bed, she told me that it is unhygienic!!!
Poor Mum . We are loving every minute of sleeping together!
Hee... Is it unhygienic for you or the baby?
#686 of 1466 Old 09-08-2008, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganone View Post
Hee... Is it unhygienic for you or the baby?
No idea! It wasn't worthwhile discussing. I am guessing she meant the baby.

Veronika - loving my barefoot child living happily on the west coast shop Barefoot Books
#687 of 1466 Old 09-08-2008, 02:35 AM

Ok, I think I posted my terrible pregnancy comments in the other thread, but my friends had some great ones I had to share...

My one friend, A, got this in a bathroom while shopping. She was washing her hands while holding her DS (he doesn't like the sling, so she was carrying him, not wearing him, and kind of washing one hand at a time). She'd just finished washing her hands when some lady walked in and SNATCHED her DS out of her arms--so abruptly that A said she couldn't have held onto him without hurting him.
Random baby-snatching lady: Here, honey, let me take him so you can wash your hands.
A: I already finished washing my hands; give me my baby back!
RBSL (still holding on to her DS!): No, really, it's okay, you wash your hands.
A: Give me my baby!
RBSL: Can you tell I can't wait to be a grandma?

Um, yeah...and your kids will want you snatching their babies away from them like that, I'm sure!

Same friend was at the park playing with another friend and her two year old. This time, fortunately, she had her DS in a carrier. Random lady walks up and offers to hold him.
Random lady: Let me hold your baby so you can play.
A: Huh? (Her DS is in a carrier, so her arms are free, and what's she supposed to be doing to "play," anyway?)
RL: Here, let me take him.
A: Um, he's fine. I'm fine. I can play all I want. (?!?)
RL: Yes, but this is no fun for me.

What? No fun for you not to be holding somebody else's baby? Go grow your own baby, lady!

Yikes.

And this isn't parenting-related, but it's too good not to share...

Another friend of mine, J, had a craving for a smoothie just two days postpartum. She's pretty AP, but she lucked out with one of those babies who sleeps all the time and has to be woken up to breastfeed, so she ran out while he was napping to the Smoothie King down the road. She walks in and is about to order when the clerk looks at her postpartum belly, pats his own belly, and says, "You know, a few crunches would help with that!"

?!?!

My friend replies, in shock, "I just had a baby TWO DAYS AGO!"

The clerk laughed embarrassedly and said, "Oh, don't worry, I say that to all our preggos in here!"

Wow, it's a wonder he still works there, treating customers like that.

And I've had a couple, although nothing really bad...

One older lady at my church saw me holding DD so she could support herself on her legs, because DD likes that, and the lady said I should never let her put any weight on her legs because it would ruin her hips.

But my favorite was actually kinda sweet. I was with a couple of friends, and one of them asked to hold the baby. The other friend, who had spent more time with me, said, "She won't let you hold the baby. She won't let anyone hold her. She's a baby hog." She was joking, really, and actually, like I said, I thought it was sweet...because it's so true. Yep, that's me. I'm a baby hog. Hey, she's MY baby; I'm allowed!

Mama to DD, my 2/24/08 BIG KID formerly known as sling baby, and DS, my 12/23/11 train-loving, wall-climbing toddler! 
#688 of 1466 Old 09-25-2008, 08:49 AM

Bump! More?

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#689 of 1466 Old 09-25-2008, 09:15 AM

Took the baby to see the MIL for the first time last weekend. MIL was holding her for awhile but it was getting close to the time dd gets fussy for a nap. She was obviously unhappy with MIL holding her so I went to take her back and MIL turns away from me and says to me sternly "No!".

I swear I was practicing so much self control at that moment, I wanted to slap her. For someone to tell me no, when I'm trying to hold MY baby, just kills me. Especially since she was in the NICU for the first 16 days of her life. Some people just don't get it.
#690 of 1466 Old 09-25-2008, 09:26 AM

At Back to School night, my 3rd graders childless teacher said that she thinks all electronics (TV, computer, Wii, Ds) should be banned. Ummmmm? How many children do you have? I do not tell her how to teach, do not tell me how to parent!! :

I want to add, my kids are limited to their time doing those things. We have a rule that they must ask and than stick to the time limit. My kids do and are pretty good about it.

Also, dd told me this morning that she told them not to wear nylon track pants to school, because "she cannot stand the noise"!!

I am not liking her too much at the moment.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page