What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? II - Page 27 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#781 of 1466 Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
I asked my mom yesterday if she thought I was insane for wanting to CD. (she CDed me until the service went under)

mom: No, why are 'people' saying things?
me: they say it will be messy and won't last, I will buy disposables eventually
Mom: um, babies will poop and be messy no matter what, and have these people met you? No one has been able to tell you what to do since you were 4.

my mama knows best

I've also was told that I should reconsider having children because I don't like "baby stuff" like baby loony toons, or those tiny jars of food, and because I am delusional to assume that I can breastfeed.

Too late.
I don't like them, either. But I wonder if there were no fit mothers before the days of cartoons?!
#782 of 1466 Old 10-27-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie Mama in MI View Post
And to make poop... ???????

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

#783 of 1466 Old 10-27-2008, 02:14 PM

when ds was a little baby, my MIL kept recommending that i dose him with tylenol at night to "help him relax and sleep better." she was recommending this as part of a nightly routine not because he was sick. heck,- not that it would matter if he wasnt, but- he was a super chill laid back baby and didnt have any trouble going to sleep. apparently she thought it was trouble to have to put him down myself or something. instead of nursing him down peacefully and happily, she was recomending drugging him and then depositing him in a crib down the hall and walking away. apparently the tylenol was to keep him from crying too hard while he was all alone.
geez. no thanks.
i must say that i really loved my m-i-l and she was a great lady. she just had this weird idea that she believed was a good one.

Mama to 3 boys 

#784 of 1466 Old 10-27-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlita View Post
"You have to drink milk to make milk." I can't believe that one is still around.
Cows don't drink milk. Or at least not adult cows. You know, the ones that make milk...
#785 of 1466 Old 10-27-2008, 04:33 PM

Yeah, I guess the closest thing that would be right would be:

You have to be a mammal to make milk.

#786 of 1466 Old 11-02-2008, 01:33 PM

Yesterday I got YELLED at at a Birthday Party. My neighbor's daughter was turning 3 and we got an invite. The Grandma was there also.

At some point (while I am trying to entertain a hungry toddler-no other food than birthday cake there) the topic of nursing/breastfeeding comes up. The Grandmother than proceeds to ask me if he is "still doing it". At that point I usually ramble of his second nursing strike-which usually prompts people to look at me as if I have 3 heads. I don't say, I weaned him, I don't say he weaned himself- I say, we had nursing strike unfortunately ended our nursing, despite every attempt of help with LCs etc. If I mention he was 14 months old they think I a weirdo for even mentioning it, because that's obviously already a freakshow to them.

Than the grandmother tells me about her MUCH younger sister who has a three year old that's *still* nursing. I smile and nod just say, good for them.
The Grandmother gets pretty mad at that point (at her sister) and keeps saying "he's three". I said "oh, that's okay you know"

Suddenly Grandma freaks out and YELLS at me "NOOOO! It's not okay! He sleeps in their bed and the husband is not happy".

They woman actually yells at me for defending HER sister for nursing a 3 year old and cosleeping. I feel awful for her sister who has a sibling that berates her in her absence- and I get yelled at for saying it's okay. After she screamed at me I only managed to say "I am sure the husband would be a lot unhappier if HE had to take care of him all night long".

What a freak show. I would be freakin livid if my sibling was running around telling other people my husband "isn't gettin' any"-whose business is it how long you nurse and where your child sleeps? I feel bad for that woman having a husband that complains to his MIL and a sister that talks like that about her sibling.

Long story but it killed my hole saturday night for me, I was pretty mad for getting blasted for just politely saying it's okay to nurse however long. And this was not even MY kiddo-or my sister.
#787 of 1466 Old 11-02-2008, 01:49 PM

You know, sometimes the husband isn't happy with cosleeping, but I think more often people ASSUME the husband is unhappy with it, lol! It can be like "Yeah, we cosleep" and some one will turn it around and tell everyone "She cosleeps-- her husband is just MISERABLE!"

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#788 of 1466 Old 11-02-2008, 02:58 PM

Yes, that's what bugs me about it. It's the "wife's duty" to be "available" at every second-because you know as a rule co-sleeping families NEVER have more than one child.

And yes, not every man is happy about it- but I would sort of expect my sister and husband not to run around and tell everyone about my sex life.

I was upset because that woman yelled at ME in addition to that stuff. Gosh, that was a weird situation. It's the birthday party for her grandchild and she blasts guests that defend her sister....
#789 of 1466 Old 11-03-2008, 07:42 PM

Yeah, a pedi told me that co-sleeping is how only-children happen.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#790 of 1466 Old 11-03-2008, 08:05 PM

Yea co-sleeping aside, my DH sure as heck would not be getting any if he was complaining about our sex life to his mom or sister or pretty much anyone in either of our families.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#791 of 1466 Old 11-03-2008, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
Yea co-sleeping aside, my DH sure as heck would not be getting any if he was complaining about our sex life to his mom or sister or pretty much anyone in either of our families.

As far as the "only-kid" thing, we have four, and co-sleep.

Whenever people bring it up, I look mournful and say I feel sorry for people who are so unimaginative that they can only think of doing it in a bed.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#792 of 1466 Old 11-03-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
Gosh, now I am shuddering....Can you imagine complaining to your MIL oder SIL about your sex life? Yikes, I think a Dentist's appt. is more fun that that thought.

And "yeah that" about the "how to make sure he won't be getting any"...haha.
#793 of 1466 Old 11-04-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Whenever people bring it up, I look mournful and say I feel sorry for people who are so unimaginative that they can only think of doing it in a bed.
LOVE IT!!!!
#794 of 1466 Old 11-04-2008, 12:48 PM

DP gets upset about co sleeping sometimes... but only b/c DS takes up a tremendous amt of space lol. he sleeps in between us and lays horizontally on our queen size bed. I tell him he is more then welcome to but ds to bed in his crib if he wants... he gets over it real quick

ill try to make this short...its a convo i had recently with a friend about spanking. he was arguing that there are sometimes where it is appropriate or necessary i completely disagree. he was spanked growing up (i've known him for awhile his relationship with his parents is enough evidence that spanking is a bad idea)

he said his parents told him not to go outside alone at night or he would get lost
he went outside alone one night and didnt get lost so he kept going out at night
on the fourth night he went out alone and got lost
he wondered for hours and was terrified .. he had no idea how to get home
eventually his parents and the neighbors found him
he got a spanking for this

me- did you ever go out again?
him-nope not after that i learned
me- when did you learn?
him-probably sometime during the spanking
me- you were terrified and lost and would have gone out again
him- no my parents were right it was horrible i would never have done it again
me- and you learned that while you were lost?
him- yes
me- what was the point of the spanking then?
him-

now he he's a big non spanking advocate too!!! lol
#795 of 1466 Old 11-04-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
MIL: Well, do you two not.............. you know..................... do that any more?
Me: (knowing exactly what she means) Do what?
MIL: You know........... be intimate.
Me: (loudly) Of COURSE we do! Why would you think we don't?
MIL: Well... if you sleep with the baby..........
Me: What does the baby have to do with it?
MIL: (shocked) You.... in the bed with the baby???
Me: In the bed? Hm.... I don't think we thought of that one yet. I guess we'll try that next. Good idea!

My poor MIL.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#796 of 1466 Old 11-04-2008, 06:58 PM

#797 of 1466 Old 11-04-2008, 11:04 PM

...whats wrong with in the bed with the baby anyways? of course mine is only a month old but its not like he knows whats going on...
#798 of 1466 Old 11-04-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
drop: That's horrible!
It hurts when I nurse, too (she latches properly, I'm just sensitive and it's still new to me) but it doesn't hurt NEARLY as bad as the lack of sleep would if I had to get up several times in the middle of the night to mix and heat formula in a bottle while my infant screams bloody murder or to have to wash those darn bottles and lug them around with me everywhere when I want to leave the house. :

I think if women were told what a hassle bottle feeding was, they might just opt to breastfeed instead if they are able to do so. I understand not being able to for different reasons, but if you CAN do it, jeez! Why make it harder on yourself?
I had to pump for the first month an the bottle thing drove me crazy. Our water bill went up b/c we ran the dishwasher so much. Also, walking downstairs and heating a bottle - what a pain.
#799 of 1466 Old 11-05-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora_skys View Post
...whats wrong with in the bed with the baby anyways? of course mine is only a month old but its not like he knows whats going on...
That's what my DH said. : Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#800 of 1466 Old 11-05-2008, 01:12 PM

That reminds me of the quote from Family guy, Peter (the dad is trying to get his wife to have sex with him when Stewie (the baby) runs into the room, and Peter says "Relax Lois, he'll just think I'm hurting you."

Lol of course, you'd probably have to watch the show to find that funny.

------

We have DS in a cosleeper (we have just a full size bed) but we usually end up bringing him into bed with us in the morning. Not because he starts fussing or anything we just like it that way.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#801 of 1466 Old 11-07-2008, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

There was a thread in TAO once about waitstaff offering menus to tiny babies and not getting menus for toddlers and all sort of confusion. Last night we encountered a host who handled it perfectly.

As I turn a bit and he can see Lina in the pouch, "Oh, you're actually 2 and a half. (pause) Um, I don't have a baby myself, do you need a kids' menu?"

He then also asked if we wanted a table so I could move the chair back and have room for her, and when we said a booth was fine, he moved the table in the booth over a few inches.

Superb service and this was at 9:30 on a day when they closed at 10.
#802 of 1466 Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:

As far as the "only-kid" thing, we have four, and co-sleep.

You know, my mom is pretty perplexed by the whole cosleeping thing. Yesterday, she said, "But what about your sex life? You can't have sex if the baby is there with you!"

So I said, "Well, that is what the rest of the house is for! And the deck and the car!"

I am sure she will never bring up the subject again.
#803 of 1466 Old 11-07-2008, 11:35 PM

That's kind of like when I got pregnant with my fourth and my grandma said "Don't you know what causes that?" so I explained that I did... in explicit detail.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#804 of 1466 Old 11-08-2008, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
That's kind of like when I got pregnant with my fourth and my grandma said "Don't you know what causes that?" so I explained that I did... in explicit detail.
haha.

I got nervous when I saw you post here, thinking that you were going to shut us down and make us start a new one again.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products 9/1/14! Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!
#805 of 1466 Old 11-08-2008, 12:55 AM

Nope, not yet.

#806 of 1466 Old 11-08-2008, 02:36 AM

Not really the thread here...but, I have a book published in around 1920ish (not gonna dig it out now to check) from my grandma's estate...you should read about the REALLY F$%^ up stuff they said!! Really, really, really F(**( up stuff. It's a wonder that any of our ancestors lived past one at all! One of the things I remember is...a baby under 1 yr. should have no stimulation at all...no talking, rocking(as it was "injureous" to mother and baby) or any attention at all-otherwise they would develop a "nervous" personality". I really got to dig that book back out and read it again for a good laugh! Another thing I remember, it said that a child under 7 yrs.old should never have food that is not soft and mashed..and you should clean a baby girl with a solution of boric acid, and if her discharge gets worse, then up the amount of boric acid in the solution....gotta go dig out that book now...
#807 of 1466 Old 11-08-2008, 02:58 AM

My Gran would have had her baby about fifteen years after that book was published, but she received much the same advice. She could tell stories that would break your heart about crying on one side of a door while her precious baby cried on the other and being terrified that she would in some way damage him by picking him up before the scheduled feeding time.

She was the greatest supporter of AP parenting in my entire family by the time she became a great-grandmother. I will never forget her advice to always trust my own instincts no matter what the so-called "experts" told me to do.

What a remarkable lady to recognize her mistakes as mistakes.
#808 of 1466 Old 11-08-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
haha.

I got nervous when I saw you post here, thinking that you were going to shut us down and make us start a new one again.
Haha! I had a similar nervousness, but I thought it was going to be because of discussing how we get our babies.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#809 of 1466 Old 11-08-2008, 09:20 AM

We were visiting friends when my dd started grinding her teeth (she just got her top two in) . The friend said to me ohhhhh you got to get her to stop that now! If you don't she will do it forever. I said ah ha and how do I get it across to a 9 mo that she shouldn't be grinding her teeth? She told me when she grinds her teeth I have to slap her mouth and tell her NO! Uhhh ya thanks for the advice!
#810 of 1466 Old 11-08-2008, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhotzler View Post
Not really the thread here...but, I have a book published in around 1920ish (not gonna dig it out now to check) from my grandma's estate...you should read about the REALLY F$%^ up stuff they said!! Really, really, really F(**( up stuff. It's a wonder that any of our ancestors lived past one at all! One of the things I remember is...a baby under 1 yr. should have no stimulation at all...no talking, rocking(as it was "injureous" to mother and baby) or any attention at all-otherwise they would develop a "nervous" personality". I really got to dig that book back out and read it again for a good laugh! Another thing I remember, it said that a child under 7 yrs.old should never have food that is not soft and mashed..and you should clean a baby girl with a solution of boric acid, and if her discharge gets worse, then up the amount of boric acid in the solution....gotta go dig out that book now...
Wow, I'd like to hear some of the other "jewels" from that book. And what's funny, is the advice was probably contrary to a couple of generations prior to THAT. It's like every couple of generations, there is something new and better for raising children. lol

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products 9/1/14! Come check it out!!
Want to get paid daily and start earning as soon as 24 hours after sign up? Join my team!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page