What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? II - Page 43 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2009, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisBeautifulWife View Post
Well you can tell me off because that would have been me. And yes, I am a hypocrite because I'd be mad if someone did that to my child.
Think about why you'd be mad if someone did that you your child. Because it wouldn't help anything, right?

So if you are ever tempted to be that person remind yourself that you aren't going to help matters and BITE YOUR TONGUE OFF if you have to.

Saying something like that in that situation is just the grown-up form of throwing a tantrum. Tantrums are okay in 3 year olds not in adults.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn08 View Post
Ooh, ooh, I just thought of one!

When lovey was 1-2 mos:

GM: It's your own fault she's so clingy.
Me: What do you mean?
GM: Well, you were constantly rubbing your belly when you were pregnant. Now she expects to be touched all the time.
Me:?!?!?!?!?!

I think I just said something like "time to change her diaper" and left the room because I had no idea how to respond!
That's... a new one.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I've got one. If you had a choice between your child's safety and your own comfort, what would you choose?

The AAP recently modified its carseat recommendation and now recommends keeping children rear-facing up to at least age 2 (before, it just said the maximum of the seat and didn't specify an age). So I posted that to my Facebook, and the very first comment was something like "Safety isn't everything... my second child was less than a year when they started fussing and wanting to be turned around... I couldn't wait until I could do that and finally have some peace while driving."

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:29 PM

I don't have a long history of parenting- DD is 11 weeks- but my mother really started things off on the right foot, stupid advice wise!!

She flew up for a visit (we're in PA, she is in TX) when my baby was 3 weeks old. We were all over for dinner at my aunt's house, and my mother was holding the baby on her lap, laying down, with the baby's head dangling off her knee. DD was squirming, little wonder. Well, mom looks at me and says "she wants to be in control of the situation. You need to get a handle on that right now."

My aunt and I just looked at each other.

An hour later, watching me rock DD to sleep: "She is very controlling."

:

On the plus side: The insight on her views cleared up so many questions about why I so deeply resent that woman...

Mother to R- 2/09, & C- 5/11

Old 05-05-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeminijad View Post
I don't have a long history of parenting- DD is 11 weeks- but my mother really started things off on the right foot, stupid advice wise!!

She flew up for a visit (we're in PA, she is in TX) when my baby was 3 weeks old. We were all over for dinner at my aunt's house, and my mother was holding the baby on her lap, laying down, with the baby's head dangling off her knee. DD was squirming, little wonder. Well, mom looks at me and says "she wants to be in control of the situation. You need to get a handle on that right now."

:
Old 05-06-2009, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

:

On the plus side: The insight on her views cleared up so many questions about why I so deeply resent that woman...
I... I have no words for that...

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
Old 05-06-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:

:

Yes you're daughter does sound like a master manipulator. She's even manipulating you while she sleeps.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

Old 05-06-2009, 01:11 PM

"You know, people died all the time before vaccines!"

... yeah, good thing we nipped THAT in the bud.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 05-06-2009, 01:26 PM

My husband's grandfather came in town to see the family this past weekend while my husband was away on a business trip. I took our 2 month old daughter over to my in-law's to see GP, who proceeded to grill me about my parenting. He said so many things I could vent about here, but the best was this: After commenting on how well my dd was growing, he asks:

GP: "Is she still only getting Mommy's milk?"
Me: "Yes. And I don't really have any plans of giving her anything else."
GP: "Well, I guess we better hope she does well on that then."
Me:

Seriously? Who does he think he is?

Wife tosuperhero.gif , Mama to The Princess (2/03-3/07) and Little Lady (3/09), Expecting #3 (10/11).  vbac.gif
Old 05-06-2009, 02:03 PM

Mother-in-law insists that we need to get a bassinet or Moses basket because a newborn will be far too small for a crib.

She has also reportedly said that her grandson WILL be circumcised.

And that if we do things differently, she's not going to agree with it.

Girlfriend and I are coming close to reminding her that, hi, this is not her child to raise.

(Unfortunately, her son is a momma's boy and won't stand up to her for anything. )

- Born 7/21/09
Old 05-06-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
I've got one. If you had a choice between your child's safety and your own comfort, what would you choose?

The AAP recently modified its carseat recommendation and now recommends keeping children rear-facing up to at least age 2 (before, it just said the maximum of the seat and didn't specify an age). So I posted that to my Facebook, and the very first comment was something like "Safety isn't everything... my second child was less than a year when they started fussing and wanting to be turned around... I couldn't wait until I could do that and finally have some peace while driving."
people hurrying to turn their car seats around is my PET PEEVE!! i'm with you!!

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

Old 05-06-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
"You know, people died all the time before vaccines!"

... yeah, good thing we nipped THAT in the bud.

Oh my, funniest thing I've read all day. (And I agree - check out my tagline)
Old 05-06-2009, 03:29 PM

Ok, probably not the dumbest or worst, but annoying:

I was holding my binky-loving (at the time 18month old) DD standing in line at the grocery store. This older gentleman walked up and snatched the binky from her mouth and said, "Aren't you too old to have this?"

I snatched it back and said, "Aren't you too old to be taking things out of other people's mouths?"

UGHHHH, still gets under my skin!

My BF days were cut short because of health issues and offering her a binky allowed her to get in the extra sucking that she craved because of the breast being taken prematurely. It was no one's dang business if I had let her keep it until she was 5. Ok, off my

Mommy to Kait 1/1999 and expecting another awesome small person with my amazing husband joy.gif
Old 05-06-2009, 03:29 PM

The librarian overheard me saying that I was pg again...She butts in and asks if I'm still breastfeeding (ds is 8 months, and always BF nakey butt in the library). When i said Yup! she says "Well, your going to have to stop that RIGHT now or there wont be any milk left for the baby!" (i'm 5 weeks pg ). So I told her I was planning on tandem nursing, and she was HORRIFIED!!! lol. She said it wouldnt work. I told her that if i could hve my kid out of diapers at 2 weeks, that I'm pretty sure I could do ANYTHING!!! She had nothing to say....

Placenta eating EC mom to my sweet DS Skyy 08/24/08 and Lotus Birth HBAC DD Aspen 01/13/2010 Healed by her birth
Old 05-06-2009, 05:29 PM

OH. Car seats. :
Them "Ugh, do I *have* to keep my ten month old RF, it's such a huge pain... whinewhinewhine..."
Me: "Not as much pain as burying him would be."
Seriously. If I can safely RF a recaro in a two door cavalier, you can manage. Promise.

Idiots.
Or oh oh oh! Dad told me to let my three day old CIO. Says he did it with me, while in the same breath "and you were such a GOOD baby..." Pfftblah.

Stupid stupid people.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
[QUOTE=jeminijad;13715021On the plus side: The insight on her views cleared up so many questions about why I so deeply resent that woman...[/QUOTE]

i have similar issues with my mother too, and somewhere inside, on a very deep level, i still don't feel like i can completely trust her. i really wonder if it was the CIO and spanking that deeply ingrained that into my brain

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
Old 05-06-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosewisdom View Post
Ok, probably not the dumbest or worst, but annoying:

I was holding my binky-loving (at the time 18month old) DD standing in line at the grocery store. This older gentleman walked up and snatched the binky from her mouth and said, "Aren't you too old to have this?"

I snatched it back and said, "Aren't you too old to be taking things out of other people's mouths?"

UGHHHH, still gets under my skin!

My BF days were cut short because of health issues and offering her a binky allowed her to get in the extra sucking that she craved because of the breast being taken prematurely. It was no one's dang business if I had let her keep it until she was 5. Ok, off my
my ds is 19months and i HATE it when people do that.... hes learned though, he bites down, and they cant take it, lol. what business is it of theirs if he has one or not:??

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 05-06-2009, 08:18 PM

I was in a pretty small store yesterday and my dd asked to go put the cart away. She was maybe 10 feet away from me when an older man said, "You know she's walking away???" in a panicked tone. I said, "yes, she's just putting the cart away." He says, "is that safe?" I replied, "kids don't really get snatched by strangers, she's fine" with a huge smile on my face. I finished my transaction, dd came skipping back to me and he tried 3 times to start a conversation with her. Ummm, seems to me the stranger trying to get my dd's attention is more dangerous than her parking the cart 10 feet away

I was nice and he was nice but the reality was, she was safer walking by herself than standing there talking to a strange old man she didn't know.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
What a great response!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:03 PM

Just got back from a 3-day visit to my family. That was fun, let me tell ya. There was nothing too outrageous, just a lot of little annoyances. My grandmother insisted that her out-of-control step-grandsons would be so much better behaved if their mother would "give them a good whoopin'." SIL refuses to BF her 3-wk-old around anybody but her husband, even with a blanket, so she's getting 3-4 bottles of formula every day (don't know why a SAHM is doing that much running around 3 weeks after a C-section anyway). SIL says she wants to get the baby off the formula, but she doesn't believe in nipple confusion, refuses to BF even around family, won't do breast compression to keep the baby nursing after she falls asleep, and is about to go on the pill. She's a nurse, you'd think she'd know better. I'm betting on full formula by 3 months. She's already insisting that she's not making enough milk. No wonder, with only partial feeding and letting the baby sleep at the breast without getting the hindmilk! The pill's just going to make it worse and I told her so, but she's going to get it anyway. She's also letting her fuss for 5-10 minutes every time she puts her to bed so she doesn't get used to being picked up for every peep because "I have things to do!" :

I did find out something good while I was there, though. I have a friend who insisted before her baby was born that she would definitely not be breastfeeding longer than three months. Baby got to three months and she said she'd only breastfeed for six months. Baby is 14 months and still nursing.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 05-06-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post
my ds is 19months and i HATE it when people do that.... hes learned though, he bites down, and they cant take it, lol. what business is it of theirs if he has one or not:??
LOL, good for him!!

Mommy to Kait 1/1999 and expecting another awesome small person with my amazing husband joy.gif
Old 05-06-2009, 10:17 PM

Oh, and when I was in the hospital I had to refuse visitation from anyone because every time anyone from my family came they were trying to give my baby chocolate. I explained over and OVER that just because it was my mom's "tradition" did not make it right and that she was my child and most certainly was not going to be getting anything but breast milk! Ughh, it was probably three months before I could trust any of them to hold my daughter.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Oh, and when I was in the hospital I had to refuse visitation from anyone because every time anyone from my family came they were trying to give my baby chocolate. I explained over and OVER that just because it was my mom's "tradition" did not make it right and that she was my child and most certainly was not going to be getting anything but breast milk! Ughh, it was probably three months before I could trust any of them to hold my daughter.
WOW! Talk about people asking for allergic reactions!

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

Old 05-07-2009, 04:22 AM

I thought DP and I were totally together on most parenting issues, until I was reading him some of the posts on this thread. There was some incredulous post about a someone telling the mom to not feed the baby in Wal-Mart and I was shocked. He said, "Why would she?"

I said, "Because the baby is hungry."

Him, "But why in Wal-Mart?"

Me, "What are they supposed to do? Get in the car, put the baby in the car seat, drive all the way home, then feed the baby? All the while this poor infant thinks mommy is ignoring his needs..."

Him, "Well, I have heard all the time how there are couches in women's restrooms."

Me, "Do you eat your dinner in the restroom?"

Him, "No, but I didn't say you should feed the baby off of the toilet seat."

Anyway, I will quit quoting the whole story, but the short of it... Even after I showed him EXACTLY how I could BF in public without anyone seeing, he was still upset that I would, "pull out your breast in front of all those other men?!?!"

ARGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 04:32 AM

choosewisdom, I'm sure he'll come around. I think NIP is one of those things some people have to see and experience to know why it's "okay", kwim? DH was like that on a LOT of things like breastfeeding (he was convinced that we would NEED to give bottles at some point-- never happened), was totally anti-cosleeping (I moved DD into her own bed recently and he misses her), etc etc. I could probably list a ton if I sat here and thought about it. But in the end he realizes it's for the best, once it's actually been put into effect.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:02 AM

I like reading all these stories, even though some are completely awful. I have one and it still makes me stomach turn...

I made the mistake of complaining once in the lunchroom at work about how I was tired because my 2-year old daughter had suddenly started waking at around 3 in the morning for the past few nights, crying, and not settling well when we brought her into our bed.

One male coworker (who has a reputation as an annoying loudmouth) asked me, "Well, do you spank her?"

Me: Spank her for waking up in the middle of the night and crying? No! (look of shock on my face)

Annoying coworker: Well, you're just rewarding her by bringing her into your bed. You should try spanking.

Me: I will never spank my children.

Annoying coworker: I like that my children fear me. They do what I say when I say it and that's that.

Me: : I have no words.

I don't discuss parenting issues at work anymore because that conversation upset me so much. Seriously, just recalling it makes me want to throw up.

Mama to Sunshine (9/06), the Duke (4/09), and little chickadee (9/12).
Old 05-07-2009, 10:45 AM

angelamariebee: Thank you so much for your response. I think I was just so in shock and so hurt to find out that he felt that way. He is such a supportive guy, that I honestly thought he must really be joking when he responded that way about NIP. I hope you are right and it is just an adjustment...

Old 05-07-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
angelamariebee: Thank you so much for your response. I think I was just so in shock and so hurt to find out that he felt that way. He is such a supportive guy, that I honestly thought he must really be joking when he responded that way about NIP. I hope you are right and it is just an adjustment...
I'm with angelamariebee - my BF was the same way about so many things! Before Lincoln was born he was like, well we don't have to hold him all the time, we can try CIO and see if it works, why should he sleep with us?, etc.

Well, he slept with us b/c I couldn't get out of bed to feed him after he was born - by the time I could BF had decided he likes having Lincoln in our bed and waking up next to him, can't STAND to hear him cry, and while we don't hold him all the time he loves holding him, always takes him from me first thing when he gets home to try and make him laugh. Loves rocking him to sleep, and is absolutely smitten with him in general.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:47 PM

We visited my gm yesterday and I have another one to share. Please bear (bare?) with me as this requires explanation as to why this was such a moment.

1. I was telling gm what types of foods lovey was eating and mentioned that she loved sauerkraut. Gm looked confused and asked if it was still in "strands" when I gave it to her. When i replied yes, she was horrified and went on to lecture me about the importance of "chewing" the food for proper nutrient absorbtion (i should add that my gm is a certified hydro-therapist, so I get these types of lectures quite often). I replied that this we weren't really concerned about her getting enough nutrients as she is still bfed on demand and that it was more about introducing different flavors and textures. Which she understood and actually appreciated.
A little while later, I was changing lovey's diaper when gm again commented on the undigested food bits in the poop. Reiterated that it didn't matter. "Oh, that's right" (also adding that gm is only 67 and not suffering from memory loss or mental impairment of any kind).

2. I also explained to her why we were introducing foods so slowly and staying away from known allergens (wheat, soy, etc) and that lovey only got fruits and veggies.

3. We were talking about my sister and her children when gm commented on their "horrid diet" and how they "eat too much sugar" (she once yelled at my sister for letting her kids eat bananas because they were so high in sugar , if that tells you anything).

SOOOO, she took us out to eat at our favorite (vegan chinese buffet. While there, I was offering little bits of food to dd (only things that she has eaten before - peas, apples, yams, etc). And then my gm tried to give her a HUGE piece of general tso's seitan. After all the above, she didn't see what was wrong with giving my 9mo, mostly toothless dd a chunk of a battered and deep fried piece of wheat gluten smothered in a spicy, sugar laden sauce. :

(Ok, so not really a comment on parenting, but still WTH?!?)

Me read.gif, Kenny REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, Liv blahblah.gif, Evie baby.gif, & brokenheart.gif
Old 05-07-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn08 View Post
she took us out to eat at our favorite (vegan chinese buffet...
: Lancaster county in Pennsylvania has a vegan Chinese buffet...

hmm, 9.5 hours might be a bit too far to drive.

User Tag List