What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? II - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 1466 Old 04-28-2008, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernalala View Post
Someone mentioned that I'd gained weight again. I said, proudly, 'There is a reason!' (was 4m pregnant so people would notice soon enough :-). So I happily announced that I was pregnant of my second child (my first was 18 months at the time), and got to hear: '' Are you going to KEEP it?'...
EEEW I can’t believe she said that!! That is outrageous. I remember telling all my co workers I was pregnant (at different times depending on how well I knew them). There were 7 people in my group and 5 of them asked “was it planned?”
#182 of 1466 Old 04-28-2008, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i gotb one the other day. evie was asleep in Ergo, some woman in the school yard asked me "how do you know she's alright in there" and looked at me like i was crazy when i said "well i can feel her breathing against my back, there is a gap between me n her shes not flat against me" she looked like she didnt get it.

i am only one i knpow to babywear longterm(Evie is 7 month and will be carried for a while to come)

kiz
#183 of 1466 Old 04-28-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemagicmummy View Post
i gotb one the other day. evie was asleep in Ergo, some woman in the school yard asked me "how do you know she's alright in there" and looked at me like i was crazy when i said "well i can feel her breathing against my back, there is a gap between me n her shes not flat against me" she looked like she didnt get it.

i am only one i knpow to babywear longterm(Evie is 7 month and will be carried for a while to come)

kiz
Heh, how do you know if your baby is okay in the back of the car in a rear-facing seat? You can hear them breathing, of course!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#184 of 1466 Old 04-29-2008, 09:16 AM

ILs went to visit our niece who is abt 4mo. Upon returning...

FIL: That little girl has a temper on her.
MIL: Yeah, she's gonna have to be trained out of that before it gets out of control.

Allyson ~ wife to C (1/20/07), mummy to E (1/13/08) , S (7/12/2010)
We're A C E S
#185 of 1466 Old 04-30-2008, 02:26 AM

My MIL told my DH that our 3 week old eats too much so we need to put her on Formula
#186 of 1466 Old 04-30-2008, 05:03 AM

My sister in law said she had to stop nursing her baby and give it formula because........... she( my sister in law) was allergic to her own let down reflex. AUGGGG!
#187 of 1466 Old 04-30-2008, 05:11 AM

i went out yesterday anbd was in a dept. store looking st sewing notions and patterns abd such. 3 people all asked about DD2 " can she breath in there" " is she ok in there" she was fast asleep one lady took it upon her s elf to check DD was breathing, umm yeah lady shes FINE. in same trip DS2 got mistaken for a girl twice!

not dumb parenting advice but i was in an lift with a nun(she was one who asked if DS2 was a girl or boy)

Kiz
#188 of 1466 Old 04-30-2008, 05:24 AM

ARGH! I can't stand when people tell me that I need to pierce my 6-week-old baby's ears so that everyone will be able to tell she is a girl.

I'm NOT against other parents piercing their own babies' ears, but my own personal opinion is that it's not my place to go punching holes in my child for cosmetic reasons, especially since those reasons would be my own and not hers.

It's HER body and I'm not going to go poking holes in her and sticking in jewelry just so that some stranger will be able to tell by looking at her that she's a girl :

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#189 of 1466 Old 04-30-2008, 09:55 AM

We rarely put shoes on dd, but we went to a wedding on Saturday so I put some cute sandals on her. Everyone was saying how cute they were. One childless person told me I needed to put shoes on her as much as possible now or she'll NEVER wear them.

They really were insanely cute though.

Casey, wife to Danny, mom to Olive : and Darcy : .
#190 of 1466 Old 04-30-2008, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I was at this dollar store, getting ovulation predictor kits, and my dh was checking out while I was looking at something. I heard the cashier, a middle aged woman, telling dh something, and went over to join him. then she says, "oh! is that your wife?" then to me, "I was just telling him that after you 'have the fun' that he should have you put your legs in the air for a while".. er, okay. Isn't that a bizarre thing to say to a complete stranger?

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#191 of 1466 Old 04-30-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
I was at this dollar store, getting ovulation predictor kits, and my dh was checking out while I was looking at something. I heard the cashier, a middle aged woman, telling dh something, and went over to join him. then she says, "oh! is that your wife?" then to me, "I was just telling him that after you 'have the fun' that he should have you put your legs in the air for a while".. er, okay. Isn't that a bizarre thing to say to a complete stranger?

Well, supposedly putting your legs up does increase your chances of conceiving!

When dd1 was a little toddler (like 18 months old!) I went to put her in the shopping cart and her leg got pinched and she started wailing. Some lady walking by told me I should smack her! She just thought she was throwing a fit, but so what if she was?!

I've also been told by people to get my tubes tied.

Someone told me with dd1 when we still used disposables to buy diapers a size too big so we only had to change her once or twice a day.
#192 of 1466 Old 04-30-2008, 01:44 PM

Oh, and I was 18 when I got pregnant with dd1 and I got the "are you keeping it?" question all the time. It was so rude. I always said yes and people could be really rude about it.
#193 of 1466 Old 04-30-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceycanada View Post
My sister in law said she had to stop nursing her baby and give it formula because........... she( my sister in law) was allergic to her own let down reflex. AUGGGG!
:
#194 of 1466 Old 05-01-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livenlearn View Post
My MIL told my DH that our 3 week old eats too much so we need to put her on Formula
Haven't you seen the new Formula ads?

Enfamil/Similac/GoodStart

Slimfast for babies!

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#195 of 1466 Old 05-01-2008, 12:36 AM

Not sure if anyone has said this one, I didnt go through yet and read all the threads, so if it was said sorry

My husbands grandmother would not leave us alone when I had my first child who is now almost 3!!! My first daughter had a lot of health issues and his grandmother always said:

"Well its because you dont dress her warm enough!" or "You leave her on the floor on that playmate, and she catches a draft and gets sick!"

BTW, my daughter was having seizures (reaction from vaccinations) Rotovirus, Pnemonia, and numerous colds, and ear infections.....

She actually went as far as buying her a snowsuit and in August wanted her to wear it... because it wasnt TOO warm out, A SNOWSUIT!!!!!

When I told her that I would let my daughter run around the house naked ALL THE TIME, you could see she was SO WORRIED that she wasnt WARM ENOUGH!

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!

So I finally had to send her an article I got out of a parenting mag about old WIVES TALES on children! She hasnt commented about my children being warm or sick again! THANK GOODNESS!

Megan
#196 of 1466 Old 05-01-2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanidFL View Post
:

WOW THAT IS A GOOD ONE!!!!!!!!!!
#197 of 1466 Old 05-01-2008, 12:58 AM

When we had our 1st dd, one of my husbands brilliant friends told him to let our newborn (4 days old) baby cry on the floor "She will eventually stop".......needless to say, I set my husband straight and now he always has to pick up a baby who is crying. He admits the crying "hurts" him....sounds like me
#198 of 1466 Old 05-02-2008, 07:29 PM

:

I love this thread.

Homeschooling, organic gardening, jewelry-making, bread-baking pagan mama to Bubba:
#199 of 1466 Old 05-02-2008, 07:41 PM
slf

DS was 10weeks old and cluster feeding like it was going out of style.... MIL suggested i give him a bottle of warm water to fill him up so he wouldn't nurse so much!

Sandi- firmly attached mama to DS (Feb/08) cautiously expecting #2 09/10
#200 of 1466 Old 05-02-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
I don't see a resemblance between them, but there is nothing there at all to scream "couldn't be the father". Ds has awesome eyes!
he totally has his dads nose and ears.... he is one cute little boy
#201 of 1466 Old 05-02-2008, 08:36 PM

Regarding my then 3 month old baby, "You can't be expected to keep getting up in the middle of the night. You MUST Ferberize that baby. It did a world of good for my baby." From a man who's daughter now has severe emotional and behavioral problems.
#202 of 1466 Old 05-02-2008, 11:10 PM

When my ds got his first tooth at 6 months my MIL told me it was time to wean him and give him things like fish to eat.

Also when he was really young she told me that I should put him in the sun to take naps so his skin can toughen up.

Jennifer- mom to Nicholas (11), Ella (10), Andrew (8) and Anna Sophia (6)
#203 of 1466 Old 05-02-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnv View Post
Also when he was really young she told me that I should put him in the sun to take naps so his skin can toughen up.
I have a baby book from 1969 and one of the things it emphasizes is that babies must be laid in the sun from the age of several weeks old, increasing in length to 30 minutes twice a day at (I think) six months.

It's a CRAZY book. I'll see if I can dig up a link to the thread where I posted the nuttiest stuff if anybody wants to see it.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#204 of 1466 Old 05-03-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
I have a baby book from 1969 and one of the things it emphasizes is that babies must be laid in the sun from the age of several weeks old, increasing in length to 30 minutes twice a day at (I think) six months.

It's a CRAZY book. I'll see if I can dig up a link to the thread where I posted the nuttiest stuff if anybody wants to see it.
I would LOVE to see it! i was born in '65. my mother used to put me in a soundproof room "so your crying wouldn't disturb Sis" and I STILL have weird nightmares about the ceiling.
#205 of 1466 Old 05-04-2008, 03:17 PM

Finally read all the posts in the two separate threads! Feels like quite the accomplishment.
Subbing now!

My brother in law and I have had fun coming up with all the things I'm "doing for two" now that I'm pregnant. It's all joking so not to be taken seriously. But there have been some funny ones...being cranky for two, sleeping for two, etc.

When I told my mom I was pregnant she told me to make sure I take prenatal vitamins and omega-3. I told her I had been for a while and she said "Oh, so this was planned?" She really wanted me to finish my degree first so I wasn't really upset that she said it. She's actually pretty cute, always asking if I'm doing this or that and how I'm feeling.

Can't wait to see what kinds of comments I get once everyone else knows I'm expecting (only 6 weeks today).
#206 of 1466 Old 05-04-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmamma View Post
DH and I had met friends for dinner tonight and we were all standing outside the restaurant afterward. A lady looked at DD who was playing on the ground and said to me, "No socks?!"

We live in California. It was over 60 degrees out. She wasn't cold. I said, "It's okay."

Lady: "But it's cold. She should be wearing socks."
Me: "It's not cold. She's fine."

I received a similar comment from an older women while out and about with my little one...this was a really warm fall day...pushing 70 degrees!

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#207 of 1466 Old 05-04-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanchelynn View Post
i don't know about this being the dumbest, but it was most annoying to me

"this baby shouldn't be so attached to you, she's too close to you" - courtesy of mil...

total screwball, wtf of a remark..
My MIL has told me this on more than one occasion! It is usually followed by something about how getting away from my baby would be good for me?!?!? I first received these comments when my DD was less than a month old...and I am still hearing them several months later!

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#208 of 1466 Old 05-04-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:

Ds was pretty jaundiced and ended up back in the hospital to be under the billi lights when he was a newborn. The dr told me when I took him home to put him in front of a sunny window (it was December) for a bit every day to help flush the rest of the bili out. I'm not sure if it worked or not, but I did it and he improved pretty fast.
#209 of 1466 Old 05-04-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:

Ooohhhh...please post the link...pretty please? :
#210 of 1466 Old 05-05-2008, 12:33 AM

Found it! Here you go. Some of it's funny, but some of it is just plain scary.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page