Vent - Smoking SIL just had a low birth weight baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dhs siblings kill me. I am really struggling because my sil who smoked throughout her pregnancy just had a low birth weight baby at nearly 42 weeks. They are all saying it is probably because she worked out because she is health focused. I can hardly stand the thought of going to see the baby and having everybody sit around and talk about how "long and lean" (to quote her another sil) he is.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 01:53 PM

My SIL had a baby one month ago. She smoked a pack a day while pregnant. She was thrilled to find out she was going to deliver a low birth weight baby via planned c-section. The baby is all of one month old---and had her first bowel movement without the help of a suppository on SUNDAY. The baby had NEVER had a bowel movement on her own after leaving the hospital unless SIL gave her a suppository! I'm not a mom yet, but that sounds very weird and unhealthy for an infant to go a whole month without pooping on her own. It made me really mad how everyone who came to visit the baby commented on how tiny she was, and told SIL things like, "Maybe she'll be petite and thin her whole life. Wouldn't that be nice?" UGGGGGGHHHHHH! :

Oh yeah, she is exclusively formula fed. SIL didn't even try to nurse.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thats not unusual for a formula fed baby. and no I wouldn't call it healthy.

I actually had a friend say once she was glad she smoked because she wouldn't have wanted to deliver a biger baby. and this was an educated, AP NFL sort of mama. mind bogeling.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:59 PM

Ugh my I remember my SIL saying to my DH and I years ago that, "Smoking is great when pg, because then you'll have a smaller baby and they are so much easier to deliver." Gross. We couldn't believe that she was so freaking ignorant, I have seen this a few times and it always makes me sick. My neighbor's son is still on the very small side and she smoked all throughout her pregnancy. It just plain bugs me, I live in an area where there is really educated people and then really ignorant people.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 04-01-2008, 07:06 PM

My niece had a low birth weight baby two weeks ago. She continued to smoke throughout her pregnancy. She was given a lot of information about the effects of smoke on a fetus. She chose to ignore it. There is also a strong family history of asthma, so her smoking around a newborn is really crazy.

Anyway, all of the family made comments about what a petite baby she is and how her mom but just produce small babies. Whatever!!!!

The whole thing makes me so angry, however, I bite my tongue. : To be honest, even though I would love to give her a piece of my mind, it really is none of my business. I don't accept unsolicited parenting advice and I believe I shouldn't give out unsolicited advice either. JMHO

My mom smoked heavily when she was pregnant with me and my brother. We were both low birth weight babies. She also smoked throughout our entire childhood. He and I both have severe allergies which our ENT has linked with a great amount of certainty to the smoke exposure.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

Old 04-01-2008, 10:23 PM

I was watching a rerun of The George Lopez Show the other day. The mother was asked when she had started smoking. She said, "When I was pregnant w/ George, I had to keep the weight off." I thought it was funny. But dang I didn't know people really thought that.

FWIW, my mother smoked w/ my sis and I (38 & 36 years ago) and we were both 8 lbs + and no allergies or asthma. By the time she had my brother (32 years ago) she had quit. He was the only one of 6 kids w/ allergies and asthma. Isn't that weird.

Heather, mama to          
Old 04-01-2008, 11:01 PM

I was born at 42 weeks gestation weighing it at 4 lbs 8 oz......My mom smoked with me like she wasnt even pregnant

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:01 PM

double post

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:01 AM

i am a smoker...part time...less than that really but i don't understand how people can do this either. each of my pregnacies i quit cold turkey. not even ONE more after i got a positive test. i saw a woman smoking when i was pg w/ds (i'm sure i've seen others but i block it out) and my BF at the time was so upset about it.

unfortuneatly eliminating smoking will not elimate all the health problems we have today...theres just to many bad genes in the pool that we may never be a healthy society again.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:07 PM

My mother had 10 kids and smoked through all of her pregnancies (one was a twin pregnancy). None of us were over 6lbs.
This was in the 60's and early 70's though. She also drank a vodka and tonic (or two) every evening. I guess smoking and drinking were common during pregnancy then because people didn't know any better. But my mom was a nurse!

I don't think there is any excuse these days.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My mom smoked through all her pregnancies, and told me she could always tell when she was pregnant because the amount she usually drank (which wasn't very much) would make her drunk. My siblings were both small at birth but I was pretty average sized.

But yes, people should hopefully know better now. And to know it's causing problems and do it specifically for that reason is very sad.

I've known people in recent times who smoked through their pregnancies but they didn't want to - they had trouble stopping but cut back as much as they could. I haven't personally known any pregnant women who just didn't care.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:15 PM

Just yucky.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
Ugh my I remember my SIL saying to my DH and I years ago that, "Smoking is great when pg, because then you'll have a smaller baby and they are so much easier to deliver." Gross.
I know!! One of my coworkers said this to me, in all seriousness, last year. She had her baby in the 1980s, but still, even by that time we knew better. I don't even think I responded - I was so shocked I couldn't speak.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My smoking SIL had placenta abruption, she went into labor way early (8 or 10 weeks) had to have an emg c section, she almost died, and the baby weighed 2 lbs something and had to be in the hospital for a long time.

My mom had five 8 lb+ babies and she smoked during all of hers (besides me)

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:48 AM

My mom says she didn't smoke when she was pregnant with me, but I was still born 4 weeks early with a low birth weight. She smoked almost 2 packs a day (and still does) all through my childhood, and I have terrible allergies and asthma. Thanks mom! I don't understand how people could justify smoking after finding out they are pregnant or smoking around a young child...
Old 04-03-2008, 02:22 AM

Mom Mom smoked while pregnant. Her biggest child was 7/5 and her smallest was 6 lbs. She still smokes. I can't stand the smell of cigarettes. My SIL who is into healthy eating and semi-organic smoked during both her pregnancies Her first baby was 9 lbs, but I think she stopped smoking for a little while.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
Old 04-03-2008, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My sister smoked while pregnant with my nephew. He was 7 pounds, 15 ounces, but that's almost a whole pound lighter than his older sister was, who my sister didn't smoke while pregnant with. He's had respitory issues since he was a couple weeks old and, it's too early to tell for sure, but the pediatrition thinks he may be asthmatic as well. I just want to kick my sister sometimes...

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:40 PM

I roomed in with a woman after my first delivery....she smoked 2 packs a day...her son was 12 pounds...no GD either...

8 might be enough
Old 04-05-2008, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Well we just went to see him and big shock here - she is bottle feeding because "he can't latch on". She was also telling us how he needs to be extra bundled because his body temp dropped so low it delayed his discharge because he doesn't have much body fat :Puke
Old 04-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Banned

There is a woman we used to be friends with until she got pregnant. I can't bear to be around her anymore because of what she is doing to her unborn child.

There are some things I just have no tolerance for, and that would be one of them.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:13 AM

I had a sil once (when I was married to my x) who smoked all through her pg and got mad at anyone who told her it was bad. She actually said to me once, "the doctor said smoking wont hurt my baby".

Her tiny little five pound baby was born and the placenta came out BLACK. She was horrified and asked me, "what do you think caused that?" I just looked at her like DUH.

She would go outside to smoke so the baby didnt breath it (although shed take the naked baby outside with her no matter how cold) then go right inside and breastfeed her. Cuz nicotine couldnt possibly get into breastmilk, right? :

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
Old 04-06-2008, 01:28 AM

I had a thread not too long ago about a good friend of mine trying to quit smoking when pg. She was super addicted, too (last I talked to her a couple weeks ago she had quit and is doing well even though it is hard).

I understand how addictive smoking is, and try really hard not to judge pg women who are truly trying and might have a couple per day, and truly making an effort. BUt I have little tolerance for people that don't give a rat's arse and keep smoking regardless. Even worse are these stories I'm hearing that people smoke ON PURPOSE to have a small baby or whatnot!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!! How awful!!

It's just really sick and sad that someone would be that willingly ignorant about this issue.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
BUt I have little tolerance for people that don't give a rat's arse and keep smoking regardless. Even worse are these stories I'm hearing that people smoke ON PURPOSE to have a small baby or whatnot!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!! How awful!!
:

User Tag List