Watching TV = no big deal? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 103 Old 05-01-2008, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think of all the things my son would not know if we were not a tv watching family. The amount of knowledge mostly good that one can learn from tv is amazing.

I know I know well then read to him right? Well we do that too.

My son has been starring in amazement at the tv since 6months old. He now has an amazing vocabulary for a 4 year old and I feel it also helped him socialy. Programs like Little Bear, Clifford, and others really teach great manners and the proper way to treat your frinds.

I think tv is GREAT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 103 Old 05-01-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_water View Post
I'll allow DS to watch TV as he grows up. Where we live, 6 months out of the year there's little to do outside anyway.

It's funny you should say that, because we got 15 feet of snow this year in ottawa...we were too busy shoveling to watch TV!:
#93 of 103 Old 05-01-2008, 10:34 PM

I don't think it is a big deal at all. Sitting in front of the tv all day long every day? Not great. Watching Sesame Street while mommy makes dinner? Fine by me. Watching the FlowerTots so mommy gets 20 minutes of peace and quiet? Great!
#94 of 103 Old 05-02-2008, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinmom2 View Post
I think of all the things my son would not know if we were not a tv watching family. The amount of knowledge mostly good that one can learn from tv is amazing.

I know I know well then read to him right? Well we do that too.
I love to read, and my oldest sure does enjoy being read to -- but my youngest still mostly prefers just looking at books on her own (and telling us about them), and doesn't generally like being read to.

But she loves sitting on Mommy's or Daddy's lap and talking to us about the stuff she sees on TV!.

Quote:
My son has been starring in amazement at the tv since 6months old. He now has an amazing vocabulary for a 4 year old and I feel it also helped him socialy. Programs like Little Bear, Clifford, and others really teach great manners and the proper way to treat your frinds.

I think tv is GREAT!
One cool thing about the way children love to watch the same stuff over and over: It really does build vocabulary. After the umpteenth time watching a movie, I'll hear questions about the meanings of certain words and phrases, things that aren't always noticed in the thrill of watching the first time.

It kinda makes me sad when parents say their kids aren't allowed to watch the same show, or listen to the same book, over and over -- I think this kind of repetition is very important for most children.

Not that TV is the only way to learn to talk, : I'm sure our TV-free counterparts can figure out some way to fill in the deficit! (I hope y'all can figure out that I'm joking!).

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#95 of 103 Old 05-02-2008, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Cheesecake isn't evil either, but if you make it part of your daily diet, it causes health problems. Same with TV, IMHO.
Actually, as part of a daily diet I think cheesecake could be just fine. There are many different kinds of cheesecake after all, and you could choose to have it in different amounts based on the rest of your diet for that day or how active you'd been lately, etc. You could make it at home from scratch which would allow you to control what the ingredients are, etc. You could even make it vegan!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#96 of 103 Old 05-02-2008, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UUMom View Post
A black/white way of looking at the world scares the pants off me. TV is Evil. Sugar is evil. People who eat powdered donuts at Coffee Hour after services are evil. (Mmmmm, donuts). No playing with the evil schooled children who live next door. No playing with the evil pagan children next door. No letting the evil MIL hold the new baby. No reading the evil No, David! Or Harry Potter. No eating the evil Ranch Pringles with the evil Diet Coke chaser.

I don't want to live that way. : And I know my family hasn't asked for any restrictions. (Plus, now my dh is happy you all scared the pants off me).
LOL!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#97 of 103 Old 05-02-2008, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
Actually, as part of a daily diet I think cheesecake could be just fine. There are many different kinds of cheesecake after all, and you could choose to have it in different amounts based on the rest of your diet for that day or how active you'd been lately, etc. You could make it at home from scratch which would allow you to control what the ingredients are, etc. You could even make it vegan!
I like this idea!

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#98 of 103 Old 05-04-2008, 10:35 PM

My prefence is to limit TV to only non commercial type shows. Even PBS lately has gotten to many commercials on their cartoons.
#99 of 103 Old 05-05-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
I think commercials are fun, educational, stupid, clever, entertaining, and sometimes even touching. I get that they are trying to sell something though, and I think a mindful parent will share that information with their children.

We love to snark on and discuss commercials.
Growing my siblings and I use to crank up over commercials. They even had a tape of commercials that was funny! Commercials don't influence my buying power, infact growning up we use to roll our eyes too at 'oh please, I don't need that, what I waste of money'. But I believe it has to do w/ your parents too. My parents are not shoppers of material stuff that made me feel I need stuff.

If anything I had a hard time even buying things, so does my siblings, we always think we can use the money for something better (except food, we all like to buy food). DH has to encourage me to buy stuff (cloths which I need).
#100 of 103 Old 05-05-2008, 10:03 AM

I don't think tv is evil. I watched tv as a kid and I watch tv now, and I rather like the adult I've become. I do limit the time that the tv is on though. I'm a SAHM and during the day the tv is on for 1 hour for me to watch People's Court. Maybe once a week or so ds watches a kid program. But when daddy gets home, the tv is pretty much on until bedtime. As for comercials, I usually mute them. But they are also helpful when making mental notes of what not to buy.

caffix.gif

#101 of 103 Old 05-05-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex_millie View Post
Growing my siblings and I use to crank up over commercials. They even had a tape of commercials that was funny! Commercials don't influence my buying power, infact growning up we use to roll our eyes too at 'oh please, I don't need that, what I waste of money'. But I believe it has to do w/ your parents too. My parents are not shoppers of material stuff that made me feel I need stuff.

If anything I had a hard time even buying things, so does my siblings, we always think we can use the money for something better (except food, we all like to buy food). DH has to encourage me to buy stuff (cloths which I need).
So true. My kids have laughed: "Oh mom, a Hummer commercial! We neeeeeed that! They are so cool. They pollute the earth and rip up the roads! Let's get one!"
#102 of 103 Old 05-05-2008, 01:18 PM

We avoid commercials because . . . .

The commercials aimed at children are often edited to be visually abrasive, I suppose in order to catch a child's attention and seem cool. I think that kind of visual OVER-stimulation, with rapidly changing scenes and loud soundtracks, are probably bad for a young child's brain development. (Don't they just look ADD sometimes? You know the commercials I'm talking about . . . ) I'm guessing that studies that show TV to be bad for children are probably having the test groups watch this kind of TV, with cartoons and crazy commercials. I mean, I think there's a big difference between a young child watching Tom and Jerry, filled with junk food and toy truck commercials, vs. watching Little Bear with no commercials.

Besides which, I personally find those kinds of commercials annoying and distracting. When the boys do occasionally watch something from one of those other channels I pause the program at each commercial break and then fast forward through them. Also, the commercials are usually for some gluten-food-thing that my boys can't eat. I don't need them watching tons of cereal and cracker commercials, that's just cruel to them.

The adult- or family-audience prime-time commercials I tend to find much more interesting, but I still tend to skip them because I hate wasting time. Lol.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#103 of 103 Old 05-05-2008, 09:22 PM

like most of the pp, we're not big TV ppl here. We don't have cable, but dh 'watches' ds in the mornings while I sleep in with dd, and that means coming down to the play room and putting on TVO (Ontario equivilant of PBS).

I'm not big on ds watching these shows, but the other day when the gate wouldn't open in the back yard I heard him shout "Ah-bray" (phonetic spelling, 'open' a la Dora). I was pretty shocked, but I also thought it was pretty cute

However, my brother was visiting from teaching English in Taiwan, and taught Jackson how to say red and big in Chinese when he was playing with his trains. So, I think kids can learn from TV, or otherwise -- it's up to us to expose them to as may 'mediums' as we can and foster their development.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page