You know what you NEVER see? (Re: Baby Names and Trendiness) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 156 Old 05-03-2008, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
cool! I've come across a lot of Alexis but not Alexia
Alexa is more common in my area.

One name that would surprise me on a new baby girl? Susan! That goes along with Barbara and Carol, in my opinion. All those women are now 60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 156 Old 05-03-2008, 11:45 PM

My ds was going to day care with a little Gladys, Godfree and Otis But, like most names I find they suited the child to a tee!

I think choosing a name for your child is a difficult task -- it took dh and I 7 months to come up with Nellah for our daughter. I have yet to be able to find it on a babynames.com type of website and always has the little red spelled-incorrectly line under it. But we fell in love with it and thought it was elegant and graceful without being too 'out there'.
I do think people are judged by their names, we don't have any control over how others will react to our child's name.
#123 of 156 Old 05-03-2008, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMama View Post

My DD is a Georgia and seems to be the only one I've run into so far...I'm sure it won't be the case as she gets older though. We have a Jessica down the street and I think it's still a classic name...we're considering Rachael for our next one if she's a girl.
My grandmother had cousin named Georgia and I always loved her name.

My name is Jessica, there are a lot of them, particularly here on MDC.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#124 of 156 Old 05-04-2008, 01:23 AM

I ALWAYS think about names that don't fit a baby but fit an adult, and vice versa. Like, my mom's name is Deborah (Debbie) and I just can't imagine calling a baby/toddler/teen that!
#125 of 156 Old 05-04-2008, 09:43 AM

Although, since you're going to be an adult for much longer than you're a baby, maybe it's worse to get a name that sounds great on a baby and silly on a grown person. All subjective, though.
#126 of 156 Old 05-04-2008, 01:21 PM

I disagree that parents who give their children "out there" names like Wolf and Sequoia are "pushing their values" on their children more than the parents who give their children super traditional names are.
And like another poster, I know a woman who is a spiritual teacher/herbalist and chooses to go by the name of her favorite plant instead of the boring/common 80s name her parents gave her.

Back on the subject of old-fashioned names... I love walking through local cemetaries and seeing all the names from the 1800s.
Does anyone know a child named Thelma?? Maybe I'm crazy, but the name is growing on me and sort of sounds cute!
#127 of 156 Old 05-05-2008, 04:51 AM

It's funny how some of the names from the 70s and 80s are coming back but the big names of the 50s and 60s are still not back in favor.

I'm a Linda. Born in '63. We have a Linda/Lynda coffee club because there are 5 Linda/Lynda's on my street. All older than me.

Has anyone heard of a child being named Linda in the last 2 decades?? Lindsay, yes. Lindy, yes. But plain old Linda?

My best friends growing up were Karen, Carla and Carol. Loads of Karens in my school.

Oh, yah, and what about Sharon? So popular in the 50s and 60s but I haven't heard that one in ages either.
#128 of 156 Old 05-05-2008, 09:54 AM

I had no idea Owen was so popular until I named my son Owen! I just read it in the book and liked it. I actually almost named him Nathaniel, but we had already decided on Owen and DH said he already thought of him as Owen.
#129 of 156 Old 05-05-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Mommy View Post
It's funny how some of the names from the 70s and 80s are coming back but the big names of the 50s and 60s are still not back in favor.

I'm a Linda. Born in '63. We have a Linda/Lynda coffee club because there are 5 Linda/Lynda's on my street. All older than me.

Has anyone heard of a child being named Linda in the last 2 decades?? Lindsay, yes. Lindy, yes. But plain old Linda?

My best friends growing up were Karen, Carla and Carol. Loads of Karens in my school.

Oh, yah, and what about Sharon? So popular in the 50s and 60s but I haven't heard that one in ages either.
I think Shannon replaced Sharon. There are a ton of Shannons my age, but neither name is common for babies born today.
#130 of 156 Old 05-05-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesandNo View Post
It's so funny that you posted this. My area is overrun with these sorts of names, it's definitely the trend. I'm not sure why - I know people of MY generation certainly weren't naming their kids after grandparents. I think it's more aspirational. Those names seem not just old-fashioned, but prosperous (and very, very Caucasian).

I'm not immune. I just had a baby and most of the name that I considered were straight of the 1920s-1940s. But in the end I named her ...... DARCY. A name from my 1980s childhood. I bet she'll be the only one in her class!

I just had to comment...my DP's name is Darcie and her twin brother's name is Darrin. I just thought that was so cute.

Right now we are really liking the name Alexis....lexy, lex, alex..i like nicknames.

: DD 8/29/08 and twin boys 11/3/09
#131 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inci View Post
Back on the subject of old-fashioned names... I love walking through local cemetaries and seeing all the names from the 1800s.
Does anyone know a child named Thelma?? Maybe I'm crazy, but the name is growing on me and sort of sounds cute!
My great grandmothers name was Thelma. She was a really cool lady. I'm thinking of using it as a middle name if I have a girl.

I had to laugh the other day when I was at story hour. They went around the room introducing the children and there were so many 'alternative' names... Logan, Liven, Lochlan (my son!) Liam, Jameson, Hunter, Dylan, Teagan, Suri, Zan, Braedon etc. It will be an interesting preschool class!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#132 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 08:22 AM

i can almost imagine in 100 year time some one walking through a cemetary and seeing Zan, Dylan, Braedon, and other alternate names and going, "oh thats cute, you dont here names like that theses days, i like it and think i will use it for my child" and starting the cycle again. its cool how names come in and out of fashion.

my name SUCKS, its nto even a realy name its made up of two names stuck together. Krystal and Kirstie so i am Krystie and EVERYONE gets it wrong. one girl in our street INSISTS on calling me Kristeen (THERE IS NO N IN MY NAME ARGHHHH) i do ont know of a skinge other Krystie spelt that way

Kiz
#133 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Banned

I'm a Christi....one of 6 in my elementary school class.

I have a Jake (15), a Sara Claire (11)...and then I totally diverged...my DD2, the baby, is Willow (11 mos).

The recent babies in my circle of family and friends:

Ella
Avery (g)
RaeLyn
Isaac
David
Weatherly (g)

I guess that David and Ella are the most old-fashioned...although my Willow is really Willow Annabella Whitley R***, and we often call her Belle.
#134 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 AM

So I guess nobody names kids after family members any more? My family still names our kids after much loved relatives - an aunt, uncle, grandparent or parent that we want to honor. Fashion doesn't really come into it.
#135 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 09:14 AM

I have a cousin who named her girls Amy and Joanna. To my ears they sound common and overused, but in reality, I think for their age group (both under 4) they are very unique. Unlike my ds1. I'd never heard of a Finn before we named him, and now we meet one his age almost everyday:. I don't know any other Arlos irl though. There is a mama with an Arlo at MDC though

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubris View Post
I was JUST thinking of this tonight!

Check out the graphs on some of the names mentioned here:
baby name wizard
According to this, Arlo was the most popular in 1910 and hasn't been in the top 1000 since the '40's. Finn was not in the top 1000 in the '90's but ranked 456 in 2006!

A

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#136 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 09:15 AM

My prediction for most popular name of 2008: Lily. There were two in the nursery when I had my baby (6 weeks ago). I thought it was a lovely name, so mentioned it to my cousin works in a daycare, she said they have two infant Lilys - one who just started, and one due to start next week.
#137 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
So I guess nobody names kids after family members any more? My family still names our kids after much loved relatives - an aunt, uncle, grandparent or parent that we want to honor. Fashion doesn't really come into it.
I wanted to give my kids their own first names, but both have middle names that honour family members. I considered naming my first after my dad, but their last name is a noun and my dad's name is Harry. So not a great combo

A

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#138 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesandNo View Post
My prediction for most popular name of 2008: Lily. There were two in the nursery when I had my baby (6 weeks ago). I thought it was a lovely name, so mentioned it to my cousin works in a daycare, she said they have two infant Lilys - one who just started, and one due to start next week.
I think so too. I know of quite a few baby Lilys.
#139 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 10:23 AM

#140 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
If we ever have another girl I'm thinking we might name her Mabel after my husbands grandmother, or to be a little less traditional Charlie after his dad who passed two years ago.

Our youngest is named Miranda and older women will say, "Oh, that's my daughters name!" So I guess it was more common about 40 years ago. Her middle name is Jayne so that's a nice common older name.
#141 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 10:30 AM

Oh, and we know some people who do use mostly family names. Their kids are Anne, John, Cora, Thomas, Mary, Catherine and Henry.
#142 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
You don't ever see names from the 70's or 80's anymore. Think about it...people think nothing (as they should) of naming their child Henry or Hazel or Beatrice or Clementine or George or Eleanor or Imogene or Pearl or Olive or Emerson or Owen or Silas, etc.... (by the way, I like several of those names very much....).

But you don't ever meet a brand-new baby Jennifer or Melissa or Kelly or Kimberly (can you imagine a baby "Kim"!) or Julie or Tammy or Dawn or Wendy or Stacey or Kathy or Pamela or Brenda or Lori or Linda or Christy.

Boy names haven't changed *as* much but I would be surprised to hear of a baby Jeffrey or Todd or Scott or Dave (not David but Dave) or Mike (not Michael but Mike).

Wouldn't that be weird??
That's because their time hasn't come yet. You need to wait 10-20 more years and then they might be back in.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#143 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 11:20 AM

I used family names for #1, 3, and 4 for the middle names. And a combo of 2 names for #2's middle name. #4 has a family name for her first name too.

I think it is fun to have a story behind the name. You were named after...etc.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#144 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyhalfmoon View Post
My little girl is Katherine, sometimes called Kathy... her best friend is Julie, called Julia... my son is Gary... there was a little boy in my preschool class last year names Oscar and a little girl named Shirley... and I like all those names better than most currently popolar names.
My 60+ mom is named Shirley Ann. I know one other Shirley and she is in her mid 30's.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#145 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 03:22 PM

I know a girl who named her LO Melissa.

: Mama to ds (5) and dd (3) and .
#146 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah5 View Post
My 60+ mom is named Shirley Ann. I know one other Shirley and she is in her mid 30's.
A very close friend of mine has a younger sister (around 11 oe 12 years old I think) who's name is "Anne Shirley". I love that name for a little girl.
#147 of 156 Old 05-09-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qestia View Post
Have you seen this? http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html you can see the trends in the form of a graph, jeffrey and jennifer definitely peaked in the 70s.
great, thanks. Now Im obsessed with this thing
#148 of 156 Old 05-10-2008, 12:08 AM

I was *just* thinking today how I would be shocked if I met a baby Kelly or Michelle. But I have about three hundred friends with those names who are my age. (I'm in my 30s)
#149 of 156 Old 05-10-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermom View Post
I agree w/those who have said that many of those names are just too close to us. Trends take awhile to repeat.

I also think that our naming pool has broadened considerably over the past 15-20 years. We grew up with so many people who shared names, and now that we have a wider range of choices, we're taking advantage of it. We reach across cultures, religions, and decades to find names that speak to us, but seldom are tempted to reach into the limited naming pool of the 1950's-1980's.

We're also much more cautious about "taking" names from others -- we spend a lot of time and energy naming our children, whereas people from other decades really didn't. It used to be extremely common for cousins to share names, for example, and now we're worried if there's another kid on the same block with the name we're considering.
:
#150 of 156 Old 05-10-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
That's because their time hasn't come yet. You need to wait 10-20 more years and then they might be back in.
:

I think it's cyclical. That name chart thing is cool.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page