Ear piercing.. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 79 Old 05-06-2008, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think I will pierce a baby ear. After all, when I got mine pierced, I didn't care for the pain. I think I am going to have my DD decide for herself when she is old enough.
#62 of 79 Old 05-06-2008, 02:52 PM

I got my ears peirced at 8 y/o... I asked to have them done and I took care of them myself and such. Then I did the second holes myself when I was 17.

I would never peirce a baby's ears. I just don't agree with it. My own personal opinion is a baby has no business wearing jewlery, I just don't see the point in it.

I don't look/or think badly of people that do it for cultural reasons though. That's a whole different story.

Just stating my own personal thing of my own comfort level with it.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#63 of 79 Old 05-07-2008, 11:34 AM

UUUGGGGHHHHH! My SIL had her 9 week old infant's ears pierced YESTERDAY! I immediately thought of this thread. Naturally, they went to the Maul to get it done. This is how she described it to me (as I threw up a little in my mouth):

"She was totally screaming. We had to hold her little arms down. Then she screamed after each ear and then she was OK. I thought she did really well!"

Thank goodness she told me this over the phone so she couldn't see my jaw drop on the floor.
#64 of 79 Old 05-07-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Does your mom believe all the stuff about how medically beneficial circ is? I could sort of understand where she's coming from if she sees circ as a medical issue, and piercing as a purely cosmetic one, but...yeah, that's kind of weird.
Oh, I've told her a million times, in defence of my and my sister's choice NOT to circ. But I guess when you're 43 years old and have slept with 50+ circ'd guys and 0 intact guys, you become a bit biased.

And FTR, my mother has 5 daughters and no sons. So its not even like she's pro-circ just because she has circ'd children (though she told me she would have done if any of us were boys.

Glad I'm a girl.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#65 of 79 Old 05-07-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
Oh, I've told her a million times, in defence of my and my sister's choice NOT to circ. But I guess when you're 43 years old and have slept with 50+ circ'd guys and 0 intact guys, you become a bit biased.
Could be. It still seems a bit weird to me, though. I'm almost 40, and every guy I've ever slept with was circ'd, and I've never found the idea anything but weird. It just seems like such a strange thing to do to a baby...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#66 of 79 Old 05-08-2008, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
I pestered my mother to have mine done for my 5th birthday, and I think that's what I'll do with my girls....wait until they drive me NUTS asking.

Only instead of taking them to the mall and having a teenager do it, I'll take them to a real body piercing shop.
I am completely against circumcision and I wouldn't pierce a baby's ears.

However, my child of either gender can have ear piercings whenever they want. The important part to me is: a real professional piercer. The guns they use in malls are terrible. The piercings are rarely straight. There is a much higher chance of infection.

Although I will tell my kids that they may not want to bother because most of the women in my family do fine with ear piercings for a few years and then as an adult something in our body chemistry seems to change. I can't wear earrings anymore despite the fact that my first holes were fine for 20 years. My second holes were fine for 10 years. *shrug*

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#67 of 79 Old 05-08-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
I am completely against circumcision and I wouldn't pierce a baby's ears.

However, my child of either gender can have ear piercings whenever they want. The important part to me is: a real professional piercer. The guns they use in malls are terrible. The piercings are rarely straight. There is a much higher chance of infection.
: I totally agree. I actually was talking to my mother about this the other day and she told me that a huge reason why she wouldn't let me get my ears pierced was that she didn't want to take me to the mall and get it done for those very reasons and my pediatrician didn't pierce ears (apparently she asked). I'm sure it never occurred to her to go to a professional piercer. the things we learn!
I actually did end up getting them pierced at Claire's, my first and 2nd holes which were (and still are) fine and my cartilage which was a nightmare and ended up with a trip to the doctor a few months earlier. I guess my first clue to run should have been when my piercer looked at my I.D. and said "Wow, I can't wait until I'm 18!... All piercings following that have been done by professionals.
My niece who is 13 months old has her ears pierced (Her mother is from Bolivia, so it's cultural) and my SIL told me they had them done at the pediatrician's office because she had the same concerns.
I seriously can't believe it's legal for a 15 year old to use a piercing gun on a baby, but then there's a lot of things that I can't believe are legal.
#68 of 79 Old 05-08-2008, 05:52 PM

My dd likes to be "fancy", but I am amazed and thrilled that she has not even once mentioned getting her ears pierced. I'm actually a bit shocked by the number of baby/toddler/preschool little girls I see with their ears pierced. I have my ears and my nose pierced, and she has no interest. She's already rebelling!

If she wants to get them pierced some day, we've decided that 10 is an appropriate age and we would also use a professional piercer.

And ds is not circ'd either.
#69 of 79 Old 05-09-2008, 05:35 PM

If DH and I have a daughter, we'll wait until she is old enough to be responsible for the cleaning, etc. Maybe 12 or so?

No cir'cing at all.

As for our boys, we will not be permitting (sorry NFL) piercings/tattoos of any kind until they are 18. DH and I are very kind and conscious to and of our boys, however, piercings on young boys is something we both dislike.
#70 of 79 Old 05-11-2008, 04:10 AM

A few people have mentioned that piercings are not permanent. I'm not going to argue that it's at all inthe same league as circ because I don't think it is, but I've never heard this. I know if you take out the stud before the hole has healed, obviously it will close up. But it's been about 15 years since I've worn earrings and there are still "dimples" on my ears. I don't know if the holes still go through as I haven't tried to put anything in them, but it's obvious in looking at my ears that they have been pierced. My mother hasn't worn earrings in much longer (not sure exactly how long) and she still has the dimples as well.

Personally, I am against non-medically-necessary bodily modifications without consent, across the board. (For the record, I had my ears pierced at my request in high school and since lost interest.)
#71 of 79 Old 05-11-2008, 04:25 AM

I don't think it's right to do that to a baby or a child not old enough to know why it hurts.

I also think I'd want to save that for a special occasion (if I ever have a daughter) like her birthday to do as a mother daughter bonding experience. I have good memories of having it done on my birthday. A few days later I got HiB and I remember my mom not wanting to let them take of my earrings for some sort of scan and they agreed

I do know a few moms who think it's tacky and wouldn't do it but don't have a problem with circ. Some people!
#72 of 79 Old 05-11-2008, 05:03 AM

Very interesting thread! I tried, wanted and was ready to beg to have my DD's (second baby) ears pierced. I called EVERYWHERE in the area that we lived at the time, and they ALL told me NO! They required her to have her vaccinations up to date- particularly her tetanus (sp??) shots. I told them that we didn't vaccinate and was willing to sign a wavier- NO WAY! Her Pediatrican's at the time had a big poster on the back of all the exam doors- They would pierce her ears- only if vaccinated.

In the end none of my kids have pierced ears. One boy is circed- as I learned better after my first was born. My first baby taught me to be AP and all the great crunchy stuff. I will let them get their ears pierced when they are ready- any of them.

One other thing that came into play after the fact, of NOT piercing ears, is that babies LAY on their little ears ALL the time- and the post's of the earings will poke them in the head- so even though the pain of the piercing is over and healed- the post's will hurt until they are up and moving more. They still hurt even me- 20some odd years AFTER mine were pierced for Kindergarten graduation gift.

Again- cool thread.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#73 of 79 Old 05-11-2008, 11:38 AM

My son (7) has one ear pierced and both of my daughters (3.5 & 15 mos) have their ears' pierced. They wanted them done so I let them. DH and I are both "covered" in piercings and body jewelry so it would have been sort of hypocrytical to not allow it. Before anyone jumps in with the "Oh, so you'll let them get nose rings and tats now, too?!" nonsense, no we won't. Those things are illegal for minors, especially minors in their ages ranges. Ear piercings are not. I pierced them myself with professional, hollow piercing needles, I know how to pierce correctly, and I've performed all of my own piercings except for my nipples back when I had them pierced. They are very happy with their jewelry.
#74 of 79 Old 05-11-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarngoddess View Post
Very interesting thread! I tried, wanted and was ready to beg to have my DD's (second baby) ears pierced. I called EVERYWHERE in the area that we lived at the time, and they ALL told me NO! They required her to have her vaccinations up to date- particularly her tetanus (sp??) shots. I told them that we didn't vaccinate and was willing to sign a wavier- NO WAY! Her Pediatrican's at the time had a big poster on the back of all the exam doors- They would pierce her ears- only if vaccinated.

Again- cool thread.
Wow, that's interesting. My BIL and SIL delay/selectively vax (am I saying that right?) and had my nieces ears pierced by her pediatrician. I can see how they wouldn't do it if you didn't vax at all though. Nothing I've ever really thought of before.
#75 of 79 Old 05-11-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_My_Babies View Post
My son (7) has one ear pierced and both of my daughters (3.5 & 15 mos) have their ears' pierced. They wanted them done so I let them. DH and I are both "covered" in piercings and body jewelry so it would have been sort of hypocrytical to not allow it. Before anyone jumps in with the "Oh, so you'll let them get nose rings and tats now, too?!" nonsense, no we won't. Those things are illegal for minors, especially minors in their ages ranges. Ear piercings are not. I pierced them myself with professional, hollow piercing needles, I know how to pierce correctly, and I've performed all of my own piercings except for my nipples back when I had them pierced. They are very happy with their jewelry.
Actually it isn't illegal for minors to have body piercings or tattoos with parental consent. It is difficult to find a good/respectable piercer or tat artist who will work on minors, but they exist. As a high school teacher I got to see some pretty impressive artwork on 14 year olds; sometimes impressive in good ways, sometimes in really really bad ways. *shake head* I kept telling the kids that if you pay $50 for a tattoo it is going to look like a cheap crappy tattoo and you will have to wear it for the rest of your life. They never believed me in advance. Many came back a year or so later and told me that I was right. My response was always, "Duh." I tended to campaign for waiting until they were a little older anyway and my reasoning was that you should know you want a piece for a couple of years before you sign on for wearing it permanently. I also think that teenagers change their personalities so much that marking a particular stage might be regretted later.

As far as odd piercings go: I object to lobe stretching on a minor, but other than that I'm not a hypocrite. I do tell the girls that they generally have one shot at piercing their nipples if they want to ever breastfeed. Multiple nipple piercings (in case of rejection the first time) can build up scar tissue and block milk ducts. (This is not 100% true, but it is the common wisdom from the piercers I trust.)

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#76 of 79 Old 05-11-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Actually it isn't illegal for minors to have body piercings or tattoos with parental consent. It is difficult to find a good/respectable piercer or tat artist who will work on minors, but they exist.
Piercings under 13 or 14 and tats under 16 are illegal in MO, unless things have changed. I had my first tat at 17 and my parents had to sign at load of paperwork for me to get it. I'm 27 now so that was awhile back and it may very well be different now. If it's different now, don't tell my 7yo because he wants an eyebrow ring and that is NOT happening at his age
#77 of 79 Old 05-11-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I do tell the girls that they generally have one shot at piercing their nipples if they want to ever breastfeed. Multiple nipple piercings (in case of rejection the first time) can build up scar tissue and block milk ducts. (This is not 100% true, but it is the common wisdom from the piercers I trust.)
That's good to know. Mine are closed up and I'm thinking about redoing them. I guess I'll wait until after I have my tubal just in case I have an accidental pregnancy.
#78 of 79 Old 05-11-2008, 09:14 PM

I am in the way of thinking, it is thier body and thier choice. The only son I have who is not intact is my firstborn because I simply didn't know better....
My other three are all intact. And my three eldest (ages 7,5 and 3) all have a pierced ear. Zanes was done when he was 6, Aidan had his done right before he turned 5 and Bailey just got his done a week ago. It was kind of a domino effect upon seeing an older sibling doing it...though I had to be sure they were responsible enough to care for it and understand the pain factor of the piercing. (they all barely winced, BTW.....they did better than I did at age 12!) LOL
#79 of 79 Old 05-11-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_My_Babies View Post
Piercings under 13 or 14 and tats under 16 are illegal in MO, unless things have changed. I had my first tat at 17 and my parents had to sign at load of paperwork for me to get it. I'm 27 now so that was awhile back and it may very well be different now. If it's different now, don't tell my 7yo because he wants an eyebrow ring and that is NOT happening at his age
*blink* Duh. I should have thought of that. I was speaking for California laws. Here is me displaying that I think everyone should live where I live...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page