a pretty mainstream, straight up momma 1 20.00%
________ (you fill in the word(s)) 6 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2008, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
People think I'm "eccentric" (that's put in my own words).
My immediate family, and dp's family, have a lot of respect for the parenting choices dp and I make. My brother thinks we are super fabulous parents and that ds is such a great kid that we have to be doing it right I'm sure he'll try to parent similar to us when he has kids.
My grandma told me to make sure I didn't wean ds too early- he was 3 years old when she said it. hehehe.

I hear a lot that I'm the most paranoid mom they know, again it's meant in a loving way. My cousin told me that the other day. She was talking about co-sleeping with her newborn, and said she felt like a bad mom, but that she knew I did it, and I am the most paranoid mom she knows (she corrected herself to say I did a lot of research and put a lot of thought into my decisions), and that if I co-slept, it couldn't be a bad thing to do. lol

My mom says I'm extreme, but I think that's about things I do other than parenting- my thoughts on racism, factory farms, recycling, etc. I think people just at me when I talk about those things.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2008, 04:28 PM

By my friends - pretty normal, a little unique sometimes.

By my family - a little unique. For the most part we are all different and are usually pretty polite about it. Every once in a while I'm the black sheep. (My mom says,"I just can't get how you are so conservative and so liberal all at the same time!)

By DH's family - well, we aren't getting along at the moment. We have had a pretty good relationsip over the past 13 years, but I've always been something of a black sheep. I think they also blame me for taking away their little boy. It's gotten to be more than they can handle - breastfeeding, homeschooling, vegetarianism, Feingold Diet, and now adoption - and they said some terrible things to DH. So right now we are only communicating on a limited basis. Now I'm REALLY a black sheep for them.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:45 PM

Believe it or not, my own totally mainstream "I wouldn't breastfeed you because I wanted my body back" mama thinks I'm an inspiration. How cool is that?

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My whole family thinks I'm nutty. I'm okay with that.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Other: Off the wall, a little bit nutty, a little bit black sheep. My family thinks I'm weird. My friends are equally weird so they think I'm normal. Normal for the fringe of society.

But never flaky. Flaky to me is unreliable. I don't see the connection. I am true to my word and 100% reliable.

Quote:
they are heavily catholic and are so appalled by DH's and my lifestyle that they actively forget some of the things we do and are quite nice about everything they are willing to admit exists.
That is DH's family exactly! Except that they don't know the half of it. They politely pretend anything that doesn't fit with their values doesn't exist. I'm surprised that they talk to me, to be honest.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

Old 05-07-2008, 09:51 PM

I voted that my family thinks I am a bit unique but it's possible they think I am totally crazy.

Blessed mama of four
::
Old 05-07-2008, 09:59 PM

Me and DH are total fruitbats - but they are getting used to us.

Reasons for this thought:
1) No TV
2) No soda or daily amounts of refined sugar
3) We feed DS "wierd food" (you know like hummos and couscous..... so strange it's available at your local Kroger!
4) DS goes to the 'hippie school' (Waldorf)
5) And most shockingly we don't spank him, yell at him or shame him

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

Old 05-08-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
I am a not just the black sheep.... I might as well be polka dotted, striped, draped in hemp, and studded with organic granola as far as many of them are concerned.
BWAHAHAHAH! I love this....I feel many in my family circle feel this way about me too. Thank you for the laugh, I needed that.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

Old 05-08-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
I am a not just the black sheep.... I might as well be polka dotted, striped, draped in hemp, and studded with organic granola as far as many of them are concerned.
BWAHAHAHAH! I love this....I feel many in my family circle feel this way about me too. Thank you for the laugh, I needed that.

Quote:
I think people just at me when I talk about those things.
Yeah, me too. I don't dare talk about Wal-Mart and their politics or much of anything else....I'd probably be banished forever.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

Old 05-08-2008, 08:59 PM

I'm unique, but it's likely some think I'm totally nuts.

At the same time they ALL comment on how I'm a great mom and praise us for doing such a great job.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:42 PM

t
Old 05-09-2008, 05:51 PM

My own family of origin find me "a bit unique." I'm pretty different from my parents, but they have been remarkably respectful of my parenting choices in particular. It helps that they live in Austin, so they've been exposed to all that crunchy stuff by someone other than me

DH's family think I'm pretty weird. That's fine, I don't think much of the parenting choices most of them make, either.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I picked totally off the wall, but I am also not at all flaky. That is part of why I clash with most of my family--they are all flaky.

I have been told, "You set the far end of the bell curve for weird in my life." I'm really ok with that.

My husband's family hates me. Given that they live life in a way that I completely disagree with and don't respect (not going to specify because I don't want to inadvertently offend anyone) I'm really ok with them hating me too.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:21 PM

I put a bit unique AND mainstream, because I do some things that people call weird, like cosleeping, bf'ing & pumping, and some pretty mainstream things. They way I plan on disciplining my son is pretty mainstream. I eat taco bell and make my son wear shoes. i just choose what information to share, and with whom.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

Old 05-09-2008, 08:49 PM

My inlaws think I'm a lost cause, which I don't mind because it means they leave me and DH alone, unlike his siblings. My mom and dad think we're a little too "extreme" in some ways, but they totally accept us both as we are.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:42 PM

I vary between "off the wall black sheep" and "a bit unique". My mom and family pretty much respect my parenting choices, albeit mine are a little different from theirs. Some of my friends are kind of crunchy, and others probably think I'm a bit nuts. People tend not to try to tell me what to do though...because I'm the type of person who won't take guff from anyone..so people just sort of leave me alone. I kind of like that.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Old 05-10-2008, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My family considers me "a bit unique", but I've always been like that, about just about everything. It's funny, though, because, for all my "uniqueness" regarding my family, sometimes I'm almost embarrassed to post something here because I'm afraid I'll be considered "too mainstream". But... everyone who knows me personally, either my family, mainstream people and the few people who actually are "a totally off the wall, flaky, fringe, black sheep", they all agree that I'm a wonderful Mother and my children are very lucky to have me, so I can't be doing too badly.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:33 PM

I'm definitely the odd one out. Homebirth, cloth diapers, child-led weaning, homeschooling, gentle discipline . . . Absolutely noone in my family gives a rip about any of the parenting decisions that are/have been important to me.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:40 PM

I've always been "unique". I think it's the reason my family doesn't give me a hard time about my parenting choices. I've always done things "differently" and I've got a huge reputation for "knowing stuff" (ie. research!) that no one else does.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 05-13-2008, 02:11 AM

eccentric.
:

Grace Comes.

User Tag List