Would you enroll your son in ballet simply because it is free? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you enroll you son in ballet simply because it is free.
Did you say free!? Definitely! 159 85.48%
Uh......no. 22 11.83%
My husband wouldn't go for it 5 2.69%
I'm afraid it'll make him all sissyfied. 0 0%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll respond later.:
#2 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 02:20 AM

I would send him even if it wasnt free - I am already going to sign him up for gymnastics.

I plan on letting him try a bunch of different things, and letting him decided which ones he likes best and wants to stick with.

DH would be fine with it, his best friend does ballet and is AMAZING at it!
#3 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 02:21 AM

Yep even if it wasn't free, if he wanted to, I'd definitely send him along.
#4 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 02:38 AM

Voted no. I wouldn't enroll my daughter in ballet (or gymnastics), either.
#5 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 02:39 AM

My son is in ballet. It's not free though.
#6 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 02:42 AM

Heck ya! If it's free I'd definitely do it. If it weren't free and he wanted to do it then I'd let him. I plan on letting him try anything he wants. My DH probalby wouldn't be thrilled, but he wouldn't make a big deal about it.
#7 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 02:43 AM

If he wanted to, then most definitely. I think male ballerinas are very masculine. Then again, I am a former dancer (used to dance with Pacific Northwest Ballet when I was younger) so I suppose I'm a bit partial to the ballet body. I don't think other guys realize just how much hard work it takes to dance like that, and if they did, they'd certainly have much more respect for male ballerinas. Trust me, ballet is anything but sissy. It is one of the most grueling sports I've ever participated in.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#8 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalateaDunkel View Post
Voted no. I wouldn't enroll my daughter in ballet (or gymnastics), either.
Why not? Just curious.
#9 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 02:45 AM

If he wanted to, absolutely! My DS is in ballet and loves it. But if he totally didn't want to, then no (as is the case with any activity except swimming lessons).
-e

Momma to 8 y.o. DS and 5 y.o. DD. Married to a Maker!

#10 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 02:46 AM

I would but on if they were intrested in learning ballet and their was a proper teacher to supervise them; I wouldn’t send them for the sake of a free lesson as it would waste the teacher and my time.

Sam, mum to: Ian, James, Lottie, Maddy, Jack, Ruby, Bronte & Sophia and Nate
#11 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 02:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would enroll my child in ballet only if it were something they wanted to do. Free or not, it wouldn't really matter if the child didn't want to participate. And if they child really did want to do it and I could afford it, I'd enroll him or her.

I'll be frank and say that this poll rubs me the wrong way, because the answers are skewed to uphold a gender bias. Yes, because it's free, 3 Nos because it's not something most boys would do. At least that's how it comes across to me, although the Uh....no answer could mean a person doesn't like dance training programs for other reasons. But it doesn't seem any of the answers would really address most MDC members' reasons for enrolling or not enrolling a boy in ballet.
#12 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaeAnne View Post
Why not? Just curious.
Body image and eating disorder issues. Neither DH's family nor mine have the genes to stay that lithe, so I would just be setting my kid up. As for boys (hypothetical 'cause I don't have one), sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander.

I recently unenrolled my two year old from a toddler exercise class that takes place at a gymnastics studio, because I didn't want to disappoint her by exposing her to the gymnastics environment and then not letting her participate.

Not that I want ballet or gymnastics to die out, but it should only be practiced by those who can maintain the expected slender figure naturally, or - better yet - evolve into forms that can be performed well by a variety of body types.
#13 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 02:57 AM

Yes, just as if my daughter wanted to take wrestling or football she could and WOULD.
#14 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 03:00 AM

I voted yes, assuming of course that the child had an interest in taking lessons.

I once signed my kids up for a free community ed karate class, simply because it was free. The kids hadn't expressed an interest in karate before the class, but they weren't opposed to it either. I thought it was a good opportunity to expose them to something new. They took the free class session, enjoyed it, but decided not to pursue further classes. I consider the experience a success.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#15 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 03:04 AM

I said
Quote:
Did you say free!? Definitely!
This assumes that he's interested in it. My son very briefly took tap dance.
#16 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 03:06 AM

I said "uh....no" mostly because ds would HATE it. But then he hates all classes. Won't do soccer. Won't do art. Has told me he HATES music. So dance? Nope!

If he would be interested, sure. If not, nope.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#17 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 03:09 AM

2/4 of my kids go to dance on a saturday. well tomorrow is their 2nd lesson. DD1 loved it DS2 "liked it" DS2 didnt wanna know but he is only 2 and it takes him a bit of time to get used to group situatuions. DS1 seems to like it but did make a small fuss about not wanting to do the "ballet" but of the toddler group but i told him he has to give it a good try dan try all teh dancing bits to learn it all. he had a really good time

Kiz
#18 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 03:21 AM

I would, if he was interested! I'd pay, if it was something he was into, actually.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#19 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 03:33 AM
Banned

sure, why not!
#20 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 03:48 AM

Doesn't that depend on whether said son wants to?
GalateaDunkel, the biggest shock of my life was my extremely chubby toddler turning into a lithe, lean footballing machine, and a large part of me is regretting not having exposed him to the gymnastics/ballet type environment earlier. I'm not expecting any of my kids to be world-class gymnasts, but a lot of those skills transfer well to other sports.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#21 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 04:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The activities my kids get into don't hang on their gender. Ballet isn't just for girls and sports aren't just for boys. If my son was into it I'd try to make it happen.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#22 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 06:14 AM

I would definetely not try to encourage it.
#23 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 08:02 AM

DS takes tumbling through a dance studio. I wouldn't be opposed to him taking ballet if he requested. But personally, unless he asked, I wouldn't put him in a position of people gawking and exclaiming over "a boy in ballet class!" which in our small southern town is most certainly how it would go.
#24 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 08:14 AM

If it's what he wanted, yeah I'd do it, even if it wasn't free, so long as I could afford it.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#25 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottydino View Post
Yep even if it wasn't free, if he wanted to, I'd definitely send him along.

My oldest well only dd has been taking ballet for 4 years now and we will be enrolling ds#2 in a "movement and music" class come fall. They do a very light intro to ballet since the kids are 3/4 yrs old and he will start ballet (if he wishes to continue) the following year.

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#26 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 08:21 AM

Sure! I wish I had that option! Both my sons (ages 7 and 4) want to take ballet.
#27 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
The activities my kids get into don't hang on their gender. Ballet isn't just for girls and sports aren't just for boys. If my son was into it I'd try to make it happen.
I might as well just stick this here. The kids and I were watching a really old Mr Rogers episode about ballet. They featured Lynn Swann, who was this hulky pro football player. Lynn took ballet because he felt it helped him with his football game. I've heard a lot of male professional athletes take dance because it helps them with their game. It was such a cool episode. First, they showed Lynn in all his football gear. Then, they showed him in ballet costume, doing ballet. It looked funny only because he was huge compared to these teeny tiny ballerinas. But I thought it was awesome and very progressive for Mr Rogers back then.

Anyway, I think we're going to try ballet with both boys since they've expressed interest but it depends on how expensive it is. They're already involved in other things that are costly.
#28 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I voted definately, but it might actually be more like my Hubby might not agree. If my son wanted it, yes, I would find a way to make it happen.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#29 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 08:41 AM

Yes I would. I would even if it wasn't free. I can't say anything else without violating the UA>

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#30 of 82 Old 05-23-2008, 08:57 AM

If he's interested, definitely! (even if it eventually becomes "not free") Anyone who thinks that ballet makes boys sissy has obviously never met very many male dancers...

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page