What name do you use for your daughters private parts? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 184 Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
Regarding Spiritual Midwifery and Ina May Gaskin, and other thoughts on the history of the words we use:

1. The book has to be read as a product of its time. ...

2. Remember how in the book Stephen was a major default authority? Well, that was happening in real life too, and it really rubbed my mom the wrong way...it felt sort of cult-y to her and also very, and ironically, patriarchal... .
1) Yes, excellent point and 2) I have a friend of a friend who grew up there, and that was basically what she said too.

Now, back to the vulvas!
#182 of 184 Old 07-15-2008, 11:25 PM

We have two girls. Our general term is vulva, but we do get specific and our girls know clitoris, urethra, vagina. They use anus accurately and bottom/butt/booty (learned from a friend) as well as gluteus maximus, minimus, sacro-illiac... (all learned from a song about butt's).

FWIW our girls have blirted it out in public. One of them fell as a toddler backward on a poll after a LLL meeting and screamed "I HURT MY ANUS". Our youngest was prone to running around naked, doing sumo squats, pointing with both hands and exclaiming 'Vulva!'. Our DD's have taught my MIL more about her own body then she knew.

I also bring it up in normal conversation. While I feel we are very conscious of not offending other people this is one are where I will not give. It is more important for me that our DD's have a healthy relationship with their bodies then it is to not offend someone. While doing normal daily activities I will ask them questions. At the grocery store for instance, I will ask them both to get a box of cereal and in the same breath ask them if anyone has ever touched their vulva. It may not be normal for most people, but I want it to be normal conversation in our house. DH talks about it too. And yea, he has a penis and testicles, and an anus .

Just tonight we had this conversation after bath with our just 4 y/o:
"Mom, what's this right here that tickles when I touch it?"
"That's your clitoris"
"OHhhhh! I always wondered where that was and now I know!"

I wish more people knew....
#183 of 184 Old 07-16-2008, 06:34 AM

admitting that i have not read all of the thread.

my daughter uses yoni, vulva and vagina.
my son uses willy/penis/balls/testicles.
there are times when it's appropriate to know the real names, and times when they can be less technical, iyswim.

i have recently run across a woman on a major UK parenting board (it's horrible, trust me) and she very happily told everyone that they called her daughters parts
'her tuppence'.
i thought she was joking as in the same sentence went on to say she told her kids that the storks brought babies,
but alas, she was serious.
:shudder:

i just could not believe that anyone would use money to refer to their private parts.
i was shouted off the board for saying so.
#184 of 184 Old 07-16-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powpow View Post

i have recently run across a woman on a major UK parenting board (it's horrible, trust me) and she very happily told everyone that they called her daughters parts
'her tuppence'.
i thought she was joking as in the same sentence went on to say she told her kids that the storks brought babies,
but alas, she was serious.
:shudder:

i just could not believe that anyone would use money to refer to their private parts.
i was shouted off the board for saying so.
Ugh, I have a pretty good idea which board you mean. It's horrid.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page