Husabands who have had a vasectomy but wife still got pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, not sure where to post this, so I am posting it here. Please move if it is in the wrong spot. Thanks.

My husband had a vasectomy in July of last year. Maybe I am just freaking out, but I am three days late, and I have not been even one day late since I started having periods again. Granted, I have only had four cycles since the birth of my second child, but they have all come exactly 28 days after the first day of my last period. Also, I usually have all of the crappy PMS symptoms a week before I get my period, and I have not had any yet. I have, however, been getting violently sick the past few days--throwing up, terrible headaches. And I know we, uh, "did the deed" when I was ovulating.

Like I said, I am probably just freaking out, but I was wondering if anyone here has gotten pregnant after their husband had a vasectomy? We have met two different couples who have, but I thought that was really really rare.

Thanks so much!
#2 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 02:10 PM

Did your husband go through the followup testing to ensure that the surgery was successful? If so and everything was find then, you should be OK (except for having the flu). If not, you could be in trouble.
#3 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 02:14 PM

To me it sounds like you should take a HPT to be certain. Unless you want to wait a few more days and see if your period comes.

I know that those procedures are not always a hundred percent fool proof. And I don't know if your husband did the testing like the previous poster asked.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#4 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 02:41 PM

I had some wonky period symptoms a few months ago, and after some testing, it looks like I may have had a miscarriage. Dh had a vasectomy nearly seven years ago and did a follow-up. For now, I'm on BCP and he's going back for a re-check!
#5 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 02:42 PM

If your dh didn't go through the follow-up testing three months post-V, then he definitely should. People who don't do that are the majority of folks who get pregnant despite the V.

Some docs advise that men should get re-tested yearly. In rare cases the sperm production can get going again. So even if your dh did get the all-clear, he might want to get things checked out, just to be on the safe side.
#6 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 02:56 PM

I must say that I have heard of a number of cases...
We think that my youngest aunt was the product of a less-than successful Vasectomy
I know of a couple that actually got divorced because he thought she was unfaithful and by the time the kid was born and they did genetic testing and rechecked the sucess of the surgery (it was his after all!), severe damage was done to the relationship.
I also have a BIL and cousin who both needed to redo the surgery after the post-op tests showed a lower, but not low enough, sperm count.
Out of all the guys I know who have probably had the surgery (not something that comes up in every day conversation!), this is still probably pretty rare - but when it happens to you, it's 100%.

If it were me, I'd do a HPT, just to put my mind at ease.
Good luck!
Cyndi
#7 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 03:06 PM

I have a sister-in-law who is the result of a failed vasectomy.

Sarah ~ Kinda Crunchy Mom to 11yodd , 10yods, 10yods (MZ twins), 7yods , 5yods , 3yods

#8 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 03:09 PM

My girlfriend got pregnant with #3, husband had a vasectomy, she hadn't gotten her period yet and was EBF her 5 month old, (she is getting her tubes tied after #3 is born), so I say, you beter get it checked out.
#9 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 03:10 PM

I have a girlfriend who is now pregnant with twin boys after a failed vasecotomy. Ya gotta love the fertile.
#10 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 03:12 PM

A couple at church had triplets after a vasectomy.

My aunt got pregnant after a vasectomy - my uncle proudly showed her the two snippets in a jar, got tested and was good to go, the whole bit. Turned out he had 3 vas deferens and the doc missed the 3rd one. He wasn't expecting it I guess!

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#11 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 03:32 PM

My best friend used an IUD. When she had had enough of that her dh got a vasectomy. he wouldn't go for a followup. Finally she had the IUD removed and, well, refused marital relations until he had a followup. He had swimmers and had to have a second procedure! Needless to say he did the followup up V2 in a timely manner!
#12 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 04:26 PM

Lots of guys skip the follow up, but it's a huge mistake.

It took forever for dh's count to go away after his.
#13 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 04:32 PM

I know a family that had #6 and #7 after a vasectomy. It's been two years without a sign of #8, so the tubal ligation must have worked.
#14 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 04:43 PM

This thread is scary!

I had a pg scare about 2 months ago (same thing- a couple days late, no pms, nausea) and told dh he needed to get re-checked. I was so freaked that I even thought about dragging out my old microscope and checking myself!
Fortunately, I was not pg- but it made me think that annual checks are probably a good idea.
#15 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 05:01 PM

I had a phantom PG about 8 months after DH got his. I didn't have period, I gained weight like PG and I had every symptom in the book. This went on for months. US showed that I wasn't PG, had no cysts nor did I have any thyroid problems. Totally weird stuff.

DH did go to the first follow up. They like to check twice.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#16 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 05:14 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnassistedMomma View Post
A couple at church had triplets after a vasectomy.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#17 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 05:19 PM

Why oh why did I come into this thread! Dh is going to get one in the next year...and now I'm scared!

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#18 of 39 Old 06-02-2008, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the replies. I am going to wait a few more days, I think and then get a HPT if my Auntie still hasn't shown up.

My husband did get rechecked in October, and they said he was all clear. I figured that was that. I mean, I would love the child regardless, but I have to admit, I am scared S&*%less right now.
#19 of 39 Old 06-04-2008, 07:45 AM

Every time I read these threads I break out in a cold sweat. Scary stuff.

momma to 4!
#20 of 39 Old 06-04-2008, 03:47 PM

It's possible but I don't know anyone that this has happened to irl personally.

My dh had a vasectomy 5 years ago. We haven't had issues.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#21 of 39 Old 06-04-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjandosmom View Post
Every time I read these threads I break out in a cold sweat. Scary stuff.
Every time I read these threads I get my hopes up. I know DH will have one after the next kiddo and I really wouldn't mind a third... but of course it won't happen to me since I would like it to.

To OP, I do think it's pretty rare - keep us posted though!
#22 of 39 Old 06-04-2008, 05:54 PM

Every time I read or hear stories about this I get excited. : I really wan to have a ton of kiddos, but...DH says he is done so he is in charge of the BC. He has not had his checked and its been 6 months.
#23 of 39 Old 06-06-2008, 12:02 AM

DH had the V - was told that he had "very favorable anatomy" BTW. That made me sad because I was actually hoping that we would someday have the oops after the V baby! Ok, I was hoping that until the night that DH pointed out that I was 8 days late and I sent him to the store to buy the HPT and he was so freaked out I thought he was going to choke! Then he hit a deer in his car on the way to the grocery store to get the HPT!! It was not a good night.

To top it all off I realized after he had left for the store and after he had called to tell me that he hit a deer (VERY low speed, no damage and he honestly does think the deer was fine) Anyway - I realized that I did have my period the week before and he was on a business trip and I was in NH at my grandmother's 80th birthday party and it just didn't occur to me to mention it to him!

Long story short, the V seems to have worked, and that little scare convinced me that we DO NOT need another child!!!!!
#24 of 39 Old 06-06-2008, 12:26 AM

My DH is more done than I am ... so he got the V. I am hoping there is a stray sperm in there somewhere... he never got rechecked... but like a pp said... it wont happen to me since I want it... lol
#25 of 39 Old 06-06-2008, 07:25 PM

I'm just waiting for this to happen to me. I have 4 kids and have not planned a single one of them. I have used a number of different BC methods, been nursing, no periods and missing one of my tubes and I still keep getting pregnant. DH got the V last year and I wouldn't let him touch me until I talked to the dr and heard the test results for myself. But still I have this sinking feeling that I'm still going to get pregnant. Reading threads like this sure doesn't help.
#26 of 39 Old 07-07-2008, 04:01 AM

Momeg - what ended up happening? Did AF arrive?

Mama to a DD, born 03/30/07, and DS, born 2/3/10, and someone new, due 10/2/121sttri.gif

#27 of 39 Old 07-07-2008, 11:49 AM

I've known women who have gotten pregnant after partner had a vasectomy, also women who've gotten pregnant after a tubal ligation.
#28 of 39 Old 07-07-2008, 06:28 PM

Well....what happened....did ya test?
#29 of 39 Old 07-07-2008, 11:25 PM

Gah! I do not like this thread! I could not even fathom the possibility...

Momeg...why do you leave us hanging in such suspense?
#30 of 39 Old 07-08-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
:

Holy crap!

My DH had his vasectomy in March, we got the "all clear" in June. I told him he's getting a sperm count every year around the time I have my yearly exams. I don't want another surprise- or three!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page