NEW: at & over 40 with little ones Tribe UPDATED - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2008, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Everyone - This is such a great thread it just seems like it's getting super long. It started in 2004 WOW!! So I thought I'd see if there's any interest in a new thread Hope that's ok with everyone.

:::

Let's share a little about ourselves (name/age) and our LO's and I'll keep us all updated : with info here...sound ok? I also checked out the other earlier thread for discussion topics. Education and difficulties/successes with being an older parent were two I saw, also older moms wanting to TTC again in their 40's. So we'll see how it goes and hopefully this thread will last a few years too

AT & OVER 40 with LO's TRIBE MEMBERS

lovbeingamommy Kate - 44 DS 3 yo and two babies in heaven. TTC #2 in April '09 (hoping Apr. 25th is a miraculous day with a BFP)

mammal mama -44 Lover of Jesus, Wife to Dude, SAH Unschoolin' Momma to Roo 4-25-00, Boo 3-10-05, and at least one precious Soul in Heaven.

chattie67 Julieanne - 40 SAHM and have a DS that's 20 and a DS that is 10 months

mamasgroovin - 40 I have 4 kiddos...ds1 is 16, ds2 is 12, ds3 is 7 and dd is 3.5...so I do not have any SUPER little ones, but quite the spread. I have been a SAHM for 16 years now.

yankeeterrier - 45 DS almost 9M, WAHM with a website for maternity, infant and childrens resale items and a hyena cart store for cloth diapering items. I am cloth addicted!

Kira's mom - Hali - 47 Dd 5 1/2

salt_phoenix - Julie

PassionateWriter - 40 Due in October # children ages 17, 10, & 2.5

2goingon2 - Janet - 40 Mother of 3; expecting 2/09

ricemom3 - Muriel - 43 married with 3 kids - ds 17yo, dd 14yo, and ds 1yo

Jezzy - Sharun - 40 I have 1 ds 15, 2 dds #1 is 13 and #2 is 7 mo

MCR - Pauline - 46 Mom to three ages 20, 14, and 3.

BethNC - Beth - 40 I'm mom to a four-year-old son and foster mom to a 18-month-old bundle of energy.

SaneMarguerite - 40 - Mom to a six moth old son

claras mom - 44 - Dd is 3y8m. She's scary smart and very high energy. It's a wild ride.

mamazee - 40 - I have a 6-year-old and I'm expecting another in early Feb.

ssh - 48 - I have a 22 year old DD and a 33 month old DD

avivaelona - 41 - Erica - currently pregnant. I have a 3.5 year old too.

mbbinsc - 47 - with 10yo DS and 34month DD. She still nurses.

AkRotts - 41 - proud mother of a 23 yo, 2 yo twins and a 16 month old I am also guardian for my 12 yo neice.

lara1828 - 40 - Lara - I'll be 41 in November. I currently have a 2.5 yo and a 4.5 yo

Materfamilias - 44 - I'm 44 (just turned) with a 15 yo stepdaughter, a 5 yo adopted son, and a 9 week old baby girl.

MaxMommy - 43 - ds 4.5

ewink - 41 - 4.5 yo DD and 3.5 yo DS

hrsmom - 40

Anglyn - almost 40 four kiddos 17,5,3 and 1

noordinaryspider - 43 - Three DC 19, 16 and 1

Treasuremapper - 48 - DD's 5 and 7

Verygoddess - Jennifer - 41 - due in May with #5. We have an almost 14yo, almost 12yo, 9yo and almost 2yo.

athansor - Sue - 41 - birthmom of a dd who is 21 (she was placed for adoption as an infant) and have two ds's at home, one just turned 4 (on the 4th) and the other one is 6 months old today.

kbhlmh - Karen - 47 - DH Larry (51), DD Lorraine is 20, DS Winston is 18, DS Kevin is 2y10m, DSS Chris is 23 and DSD Michelle is 20. We are currently TTC a younger brother or sister for Kevin.

being - Be - 44 I have one dd 3.7 yo. I miscarried last year at almost same time I conceived again naturally this October . I'm dueJune 30 ish/early July and am soooo excited

libba - 45 - 8 year old DD and one angel baby

Barab - 46 - I'm going to be 46 soon and I have 20 y/o, 17 y/o and a 2 1/2 y/o.

Shahbazin - 41 - with 2 DDs - almost 1 1/2, & a little over 2 1/2 years old.

uptowngirl - Jillian - 46 - I have a 4 year old daughter and a 6 year old son. My dh is 60 and these are our first (only) children.

Close2Me - 42 in Jan. - with a 3 mo. old and a 7 yo.

intentionalmama- Lesley 46 - with a 5 1/2 yo ds and looking to adopt another child.

ElliesMomma- 40 - DD 2.75 and newly pregnant with #2 EDD Sept. '09

BelovedK- 42 -TTC #3 13yo and 9yo

SkyMomma -39.5 5yo and 3mo

Kidzaplenty- Jenny - 39 Helpmeet + MOMYS = #1 ~ '90 + #2 ~ '94 + #3 ~ '96 + #4 ~ '97 + #5 ~ '00 + #6 ~ '02 to '06~ + #7 ~ '04 + #8 ~ '06 to '06~ + #9 ~ '08 ----> My Blog . . . Josh24:15 . . .

THANKFULFORFIVE - Billie - 41 My gang....kid-luvin' Dh-42, ds-20, ds-15, dd-14, dd-11, dd-14mos, hoping for #6 next year

CathMac - Cath - 43 1/2 - 4 1/2 yo DD and 2 1/2 yo DD

ZanZansMommy - 41 - 3 yo DS and 5 yo DD

allgirls - 42 - my youngest is 3 and my oldest is 18 and expecting her first in September...so I will be a grandma soon

jrabbit - 42 - 3 girls ... 9, 4y11mo, and 10 days

smibbo - 42 - I have 4 kids. Three boys: 18, 16, 13 and an awesome little girl (18mos)

Pookietooth - Jen - 43 - and I have a five year old (who will be six soon). I'm also TTC, and hoping for #2.

ktmama - Kate - 43 with two dds (3.5 and 11.5) and one baby on the way. I'll be 44 when s/he is born in June.

Miracle and Wonder - Candida - 45 I had a miscarriage in February of 1983 (at 19) and I have two living babies, Isobel (who will be one at the end of the month) and Ianto (who was born 21 December). Ianto also had a twin, annalisa, who passed away at the beginning of this month.

contactmaya - Maya - 42 I have a 10 month old and a 3 1/2 year old. Both boys.

SuzymomofLaura Suzy - 42 - mother of two: my sweet Laura, now 4,5 yrs old already, and Lucie, our 20 month old (and not yet STTN at all), gluten/lactose intolerant VBAC miracle. And there's DH, aged 50, plus one cat, 11 months old, in our household. We BF, co-sleep and I recently summoned up the courage to pull out my CD stash again

Let me know if there's any corrections or updates that you'd like

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Count me in!

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
Old 07-27-2008, 02:21 AM

Looks like a great time to be joining!

I am Julieanne, I am 40yo SAHM and have a DS that's 20 and a DS that is 10 months.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:12 PM

Hello, I am now officially 40...as of July 24th!
I have 4 kiddos...ds1 is 16, ds2 is 12, ds3 is 7 and dd is 3.5...so I do not have any SUPER little ones, but quite the spread. I have been a SAHM for 16 years now.

I'd like to add that I find it difficult finding older moms to hang out with. We've recently moved and the moms that I generally meet are MUCH younger. It is hard to find moms with preschool aged kids who aren't in their 20's, YK? I also think I am bit lazier as a parent this time around. :

But for the most part, it rocks! I do have a lot of fun dragging my little clone around with me!!!

So...can I hang here now?

If you can't take the heat get out of the Kitchen.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:16 PM

Sure! I guess I'll share my bio again. Well, wait a minute -- I guess it's all in my siggy! Except that I'm 44.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:27 PM

I'm 45 with DS almost 9M:, WAHM with a website for maternity, infant and childrens resale items and a hyena cart store for cloth diapering items. I am cloth addicted!

I have become proficiant at one handed typing and have grown the mysterious 'eyes in the back of my head'.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

to all the new mamas! I've updated everything through 7/27 @6pm.

Would anyone like to propose a discussion question? Or, we can talk and encourage each other on this wonderful journey as "mature" mamas. I'm just so thankful that there are other 40+ ers here and active. I'm on another forum and when I started a 40+TTC thread - the only people that responded were 20&30 somethings that sure made me feel OLD.

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

Old 07-28-2008, 02:39 AM

Hi I'm Hali and have been posting at 40plus for a while. This is the 3rd revision of this thread as far as I know. Dd was not even one when I found this thread! She is now 5 1/2. I just turned 47. We nursed for almost 4 yrs.(CLW) In the past 6 mos she has decided she madw a mistake and often tries to latch on!!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:41 PM

I'm here!!! My 47 y.o. sister just recently commented that I was both the first and last of the siblings to have a baby... My answer?

SO FAR!!!

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovbeingamommy View Post
ould anyone like to propose a discussion question?
Well, when I was pregnant with my second baby at 40, I encountered some negativity from relatives -- and I felt the negativity was mainly because I was so happy and this clearly wasn't an "accident." I think that because I already had one healthy child, people felt like I was crazy to intentionally have another at my advanced age.

And when some people realized that I'd decided to sidestep the medical route (unless I felt strong indication that I needed to see a doctor), and was just going to an independent midwife (which I didn't even start 'til the 3rd trimester) and planning on homebirth (which worked out wonderfully) -- well, I realize that's a choice society frowns on for women of any age ...

But I felt like with me, there was somewhat of an attitude that, "If you're dumb enough to intentionally get pregnant at 40, then you should at least have the sense to treat yourself as 'high risk,' and you should at least be 'socially responsible' enough to submit to all the risky testing to make as sure as you can that you're not bringing a handicapped child into the world," and so on.

I'm not criticizing any mama who decides for herself that she wants to treat her pregnancy as high-risk, or who decides for herself that she wants to get certain testing done. But I wondered if we could open a discussion about dealing with others who'd like for us to treat our pregnancies as high-risk, regardless of our feelings on the subject?

I'm 44, and I recently miscarried, so I'm not sure at this point if I'll be able to carry a baby to term. But if it does work out, I'm thinking I'd like to do things similar to how we did with our second. Except, of course, that I'd seek medical attention if I sensed that something wasn't right, as I would have before.

For those of you who've had babies at my age, how well does it work with the medical system, if you want to pick and choose your interventions, and don't want to be labeled 'high risk' just because of your age?

Old 07-28-2008, 02:26 PM

ive never seen the tribe before.

i have 3 children, am 40 and due sometime in October. (kiddos are 17, 10 and 2.5).

mammal_mama, you sound exactly like me. everyone thinks im insane.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateWriter View Post
i have 3 children, am 40 and due sometime in October. (kiddos are 17, 10 and 2.5).
Congratulations! :

Quote:
mammal_mama, you sound exactly like me. everyone thinks im insane.
Then I'm glad we've found one another!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Hali, Julie and PassionateWriter. Glad you joined us all :

Quote:
I'm here!!! My 47 y.o. sister just recently commented that I was both the first and last of the siblings to have a baby... My answer?

SO FAR!!!
So Julie, I'm curious, are you TTC? Right now, I'm in the TWW phase :

Quote:
For those of you who've had babies at my age, how well does it work with the medical system, if you want to pick and choose your interventions, and don't want to be labeled 'high risk' just because of your age?
Well I was 40 when I had my DS. I did everything (during the pregnancy) the conventional route because I didn't know any better. I remember being offered additional tests because of my age and just turning them down. Never had any pressure or negativeness from anyone, I think part of that was because of our families anti-abortion stance. Other than testing I don't remember anything else that I needed to do because of my age. However, when #2 comes along I will probably have some difficulties since I do plan to use a midwife for homebirth.

waitin' for my baby

Old 07-29-2008, 01:58 PM

Hello all. I'm Janet, 40 year old mother of 3 with a surprise little one on the way and due in February. Looking forward to getting to know every one. I'm not the best at posting a lot but will try to keep up!

The sea monkey has my money.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:23 PM

Can I join?

I am 43, married and have 3 kiddos. ds#1 is 17 and a high school senior. dd is 14, going into high school. and ds#2 is 1(7/02). We got some grief from family about that when I was pregnant, but they all seem to be fine now. Now the talk is if we are going to have another one so he diesn't grow up alone.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:40 PM

Not currently TTC. Not preventing. I have an EBF lo & little time & energy for dtd for anything but occasional recreation. Just coasting ATM. We will see what happens.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricemom3 View Post
Can I join?

I am 43, married and have 3 kiddos. ds#1 is 17 and a high school senior. dd is 14, going into high school. and ds#2 is 1(7/02). We got some grief from family about that when I was pregnant, but they all seem to be fine now. Now the talk is if we are going to have another one so he diesn't grow up alone.
my ds3 was a complete surprise and its funny b/c we are prego w/ #4 for this reason..however, my 10 yo and 2 yo are very close so there is nothing that says the youngest will be "alone"....but it is fun (and interesting) to have a 17 (almost 18 yo) and 2 and baby. lol!
Old 07-30-2008, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Janet and Muriel

congrats to all the expecting mamas...

I'm crossing my fingers as I'm officially in the TWW. I'm nervous because this is the first time TTC since my m/c in Apr. Has anyone taken progesterone while pregnant? My OB/GYN suggested it but never even did any test to see if I needed it. I guess he's just trying to be extra cautious...but is it because of my age or the fact I had a m/c earlier ??

waitin' for my baby

Old 07-30-2008, 01:13 PM

Thank you for the welcome.

My older kids are having so much fun with the lo. In fact, my ds#1 has joked that when he goes to college next year ds#2 will have to go with him, b/c he can't leave him. (awww)
I am the one leaning towards having another (kinda) b/c I was 16 yrs younger than the youngest on my siblings and I hated growing up "alone".

to lovbeingamommy: Prayers and good baby thoughts going your way. Keep us posted.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:02 PM

Yeah, good luck on the TTC!!! : I know when I was TTC for Ember, it was the longest 9 mos. of my life!!! I had one m/c, and the next month, BAM... baby Ember. :

My kids are all across the spectrum: old, middle and baby... I love it. They have each had their OWN time being "the baby". I hate to mess up my pattern, but I'd not be upset if we were graced with another lo sometime in the next 2-3 years.

I had progesterone with Ember for the first trimester. I hated the gooey mess (suppositories) but after the m/c, I was willing to try it. Dunno if that was the trick, but here she is! (I've had 4 m/c's total... Ember was the first time I tried with progesterone.)

Old 07-31-2008, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricemom3 View Post
Thank you for the welcome.

My older kids are having so much fun with the lo. In fact, my ds#1 has joked that when he goes to college next year ds#2 will have to go with him, b/c he can't leave him. (awww)
I am the one leaning towards having another (kinda) b/c I was 16 yrs younger than the youngest on my siblings and I hated growing up "alone".

to lovbeingamommy: Prayers and good baby thoughts going your way. Keep us posted.
What a blessing that DS1 and DS2 are so close

Thank you for the good thoughts. I'm really feeling hopeful...

waitin' for my baby

Old 07-31-2008, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
Yeah, good luck on the TTC!!! : I know when I was TTC for Ember, it was the longest 9 mos. of my life!!! I had one m/c, and the next month, BAM... baby Ember. :

My kids are all across the spectrum: old, middle and baby... I love it. They have each had their OWN time being "the baby". I hate to mess up my pattern, but I'd not be upset if we were graced with another lo sometime in the next 2-3 years.

I had progesterone with Ember for the first trimester. I hated the gooey mess (suppositories) but after the m/c, I was willing to try it. Dunno if that was the trick, but here she is! (I've had 4 m/c's total... Ember was the first time I tried with progesterone.)
Thank you!! Wow you got pregnant one month after m/c...that's great!! I wish I would have TTC after my first cycle, but I listened to my OB when he said it takes two or three months for the lining to build up :

What dosage progesterone did you take with Ember...I love her name by the way

babydust coming your way

waitin' for my baby

Old 07-31-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovbeingamommy View Post
Thank you!! Wow you got pregnant one month after m/c...that's great!! I wish I would have TTC after my first cycle, but I listened to my OB when he said it takes two or three months for the lining to build up :

What dosage progesterone did you take with Ember?

I did get pg. the very next month, and glad to have her... However, I often wonder if that is why I ended up with a retained placenta. (retained placenta=hemmorage & manual removal=ouch & ick) I had a midwife that was concerned when I told her I got pg. immediately that it might be the case. I ended up on hosp. bedrest anyway when my water broke at 31 weeks, so when she did come at almost 35 weeks, I was already in the hospital. My other babies were homebirths, so this was NO BUENO for me. It all turned out, obviously, but if it happens again, I won't TRY the next month... I really will wait at least one cycle. I don't want another hospital birth if I have more and will do ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING in my power to prevent it. I was just so darned determined to get pg. I didn't want to wait even ONE MORE MONTH

I don't remember what dosage, they were pre-filled suppositories, if that's helpful.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:29 PM

I didn't "try" not to conceive after my miscarriage in late March -- it just doesn't seem to be happening.

Are any of you ladies coffee drinkers, like me? I don't completely give up caffeine during pregnancy -- I just keep my intake down. But I guess after the miscarriage, I've started wondering if there's anything I might have done to cause it.

But I also think my fertility's significantly affected by full-term breastfeeding. And I have no regrets about that.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, Julie. It does help very much :

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post
Are any of you ladies coffee drinkers, like me? I don't completely give up caffeine during pregnancy -- I just keep my intake down. But I guess after the miscarriage, I've started wondering if there's anything I might have done to cause it.
Yes, I'm a coffee drinker. When I had my first LO in Nov. 2005, I specifically remember my doc telling me that one or two cups of coffee a day was fine. And that's what I drank. Then when I became pregnant with my second this year in Feb., I thought I'd stick to that same advice. However, when I went to my OB in Mar (at 7wks-the 1st visit) he told me to cut out all coffee : Really, I wondered, why the different advice from 2005. He told me that there was a recent study (published in 2008) that linked coffee drinking with increased m/c rate. Oh great, so now I wonder if that caused my m/c. After some intense searching I found that study on the internet - I'll see if I can locate again and post. Sure enough, that's what it said, but if I remember right it was a slight increase and I think the amount was more on the moderate range of consumption. Really, only God knows why this happened and I can only speculate; I'm at peace with it now though.

waitin' for my baby

Old 08-04-2008, 07:30 PM

Hey everyone. I thought I had subscribed to this thread. Guess I need to take a look and see what I did suscribe to!

I took progesterone with the last two pregnancies. I took 200 mg once a day orally and both times it was only until my first lab work came back and looked good so I was told to stop. My little sister took it vaginally for her last two pregnancies but I dont' recall how long she had to take it.

Re coffee - yes, I still drink it. I typically drink about 8 ounces each morning during the week and that or maybe 10 on the weekends. I don't think there's that much caffeine in it to worry me but I understand your being concerned and wanting to do what feels right to you. I also drink a nice cold coke from time to time too.

It is hot here - wicked hot. I'm already so tired from being in the first trimester and having a little one who doesn't sleep well and this heat is really zapping me. I feel so worthless sometimes. I need to clean my house, there's always laundry and yard work and on and on and on. I work outside the home full time too so I just feel drained. I remember my last pregnancy I did get a wonderful energy boost during the 2nd trimester and I hope it happens again.

Guess I'm feeling a little chatty...
We weren't trying to conceive...but weren't trying to prevent either. I had one post-partum period as I was breast feeding too. My milk production took a complete and total nose dive and now my little guy is on formula. I hate it. He even had his first ear infection last week. He doesn't seem bothered in the least not to nurse and I've had no engorgement or leaking...just incredible sadness coupled with pregnancy hormones. I envy the mammas who can maintain their supply.

I believe that's it for now...hope everyone is feeling well and staying cool!

The sea monkey has my money.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Hello Everyone -

GOOD NEWS ::: I'm pregnant again...for the third time after 40! I sure hope this baby sticks, the second one didn't I just barely found out yesterday and good thing I did because I needed to have a mammo done that same day. Luckily, I found out and did an u/s instead. So I'm one month today. My naturopath is going to put me on natural progesterone cream sometime soon and is having me get my hcg and progest. checked at the lab.

I hope this post finds everyone well and staying cool in the hot month of Aug. KATE

waitin' for my baby

Old 08-14-2008, 12:35 AM

congrats!!!!!

ive been feeling kind of drained lately. im 33 weeks this week. i definitely had much more energy having a baby at 22! lol!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:03 PM

Congratulations, lovbeingamommy!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, this thread hasn't seen any action for two weeks. It seems like there's a flurry of 40+ threads now on here so I guess I can blame it on the competition

Oh well, good luck to all the mamas with little ones and hope to see you posting somewhere soon.

waitin' for my baby

User Tag List