Parenting: Moms who smokes dope... - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2008, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow..after reading this thread, i hope any mom who smokes MJ during preg. or bf'ing or any other time when they are a "mom" realizes how dangerous it is to confide in your "friends".

amazing that someone would call CPS for occassional recreational or medicinal use of MJ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Boy&Girl View Post
Jaywalking, tax evasion/cheating, and speeding are not the same thing as using an illegal drug while PG and breastfeeding. If you can't see the difference, then I'm not sure my response is really going to matter. But I'll give it a shot.

I have personal experience with marijuana's effects on the family and while I do not wish to share it on a public message board, I will say that based on that experience, doing any sort of illegal drug around children is never okay. And yes, I do believe that you are damaging your child by doing it around them, while PG, and while breastfeeding.

The OP asked what she should do. My answer still stands. If the OP is so disturbed by her friend smoking an illegal substance while PG and breastfeeding (and I'm assuming it's illegal where she lives based on her outrage -- if it's not illegal, then obviously that changes the scenario, doesn't it?), then she can call CPS and let them make the assessment on whether this mother is a danger to her own child. That's their job, not hers.
Either the fact that it's illegal is the issue or it isn't. I've never used mj. I've never even smoked cigarettes. But I've been prescribed a very strong drug that has stronger effects that mj in all ways for a medical need. I am sure I get higher on the drug I've been prescribed than I would on mj, and it sounds like it might well be less dangerous during pregnancy than what I'm taking. And I am pregnant, and I don't have a choice to not treat my problem. If mj is better and safer for my problem than the drug I've been prescribed, then the only relevant issue if I got called for use of it would be that it's illegal. In which case, so is playing around on tax forms.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:50 PM

I also have a problem with the "since it's illegal it must automatically be wrong" mentality. And one PP mentioned that the situation would be different if it were illegal. So, if it were legal you wouldn't call CPS? I really don't understand how the legality of an activity can change your stance on it. If murdering people were suddenly made legal, would that change your opinion on murder?

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

Old 08-24-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajean56 View Post
:

I'm always a little confused by the MDC opinion on smoking pot. I'm talking about the recreational use of it, not medicinal. It just seems really hypocritical to preach of the horrors of formula, epidurals, abx during labor for GBS, solids before 6 months, watching TV, plastic toys, non-organic crib matresses, processed food, foward facing carseats, etc. - only to turn around and say, "Smoking pot? That's fine."
marijuana is a HERB. It is NATURAL.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Banned

Firstly, I never recommended anyone call CPS.

Secondly, yeah I do think studies coming out of Jamaica which endorse smoking MJ is humorous... sorry

No, I don't bend to big oil and pharma just because I am not cool with people toking up around their kids or when caring for their kids.

Finally, my opinions are my own and I have a right to them. I am not going to pander to the crunchy-approved MDC set on an issue I don't agree with.

For me, no one can justify the legal ramifications and the possibility of their child being removed (if in a location where mj is criminalized). To me, that is a problem. That would say to me that someone cared more about their herb than the possibility of their child getting taken away. Sure, you can argue "effed up system, down with the man!" all day long, and while I may agree in theory -- I don't value smoking enough (or even raging against the machine) enough to risk my child being removed for something that is not *essential* to my life or health. If you want to change the system, work with your local government to change the laws. Sitting on your porch with a spliff after the kids are in bed is not a brave, counter-culture act of protest to me. It is you (general you) sitting in your living room smoking a spliff after the kids are in bed. I mean, if you don't want people's opinions on it (especially of those who don't smoke) don't spout off about it

ETA: fwiw I think mj (and all drugs) should be at least decriminalized so it isn't an issue of me thinking it should stay illegal.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by majazama View Post
marijuana is a HERB. It is NATURAL.
Yeah, so is plutonium (natural not an herb) but I am not putting that in my hookah either.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian's mama View Post
dude! if yer gonna quote me, give credit where it's due!
Sorry, I guess I erased the beginning of the Quote box by mistake

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
Old 08-24-2008, 10:17 PM

Can I just say that the fact that you guys are suggesting calling the CPS is totally and completely bizarre. You would watch children get torn away from a loving home because the mom smoked a little weed? Please please tell me that you are not serious. Think about what you're saying. Just so you know, it sounds completely insane.
Is the government suddenly always right?

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)
Old 08-24-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
Yeah, so is plutonium (natural not an herb) but I am not putting that in my hookah either.
yeah, that's such an obvious connection; Smokin' plutonium.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah but I'm pretty sure if you smoked plutonium (is that even possible? ) or any other radioactive element, or even so much as stood near it for too long, it would KILL you. Marijuana will not.

ETA: And not everyone who smokes weed does it to be a rebel and "stick it to the man". And not every parent who smokes weed does it around their kids. And honestly, people smoking it during pregnancy (which I never did) as long as it's done in moderation doesn't bother me. Everything has risks. I took riskier prescription drugs while pregnant (Zoloft and Ativan).

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

Old 08-24-2008, 10:23 PM

I am not against someone who wants to smoka a little pot every now and then, I myself have. But while pregnant I wouldn't smoke marijuana anymore then I would smoke cigarettes. It is not good for you to inhale ANY kind of smoke while pregnant. No matter what it is. It is natural it is an herb, I have lots of herbs in my kitchen, had an herb garden growing up on the other hand ive never taken paprica out of the cupboard and smoked it. I would be more for her making some weak special brownies then smoking it while pregnant. Not saying she should do this lol but it would beat inhaling smoke.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Banned

I was just saying... the "it's natural!" argument is not a good one for mj enthusiasts. It just... isn't. So many harmful things are all natural so I was just sayin'...
Old 08-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsmom View Post
Yeah but I'm pretty sure if you smoked plutonium (is that even possible? ) or any other radioactive element, or even so much as stood near it for too long, it would KILL you. Marijuana will not.

Tell it to this guy then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwfe5lH1n9Q
Old 08-24-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Dude! I just posted a thread with that video in TAO the other day. Talk about synchronocity (sp?). Now there is an example of not using in moderation. :

Old 08-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Banned

Old 08-24-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I was just saying... the "it's natural!" argument is not a good one for mj enthusiasts. It just... isn't. So many harmful things are all natural so I was just sayin'...
well, what are the roots of natural parenting in america? The hippies, or people who questioned the status quo... people who smoked pot. seriously, they were probably the first people to say "hey, maybe I shouldn't stick needles full of junk in my kids arms," etc.

Pot makes you see things from another viewpoint. It makes you want to be more natural (IME). I smoked as a teenager (don't anymore) and I had so many amazing revelations about the world I lived in. I saw nature so differently, and felt compelled to start recycling, protecting the forests, eating organically, etc.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:41 PM

oh boy, one of these threads again
Old 08-24-2008, 11:08 PM

Yeah, it was done there on purpose b/c of the culture. Honestly, the study is one of the best studies around and is very scientific, respected, etc.... It is disheartening to see you mock the study when you obviously haven't looked at the findings, but instead just choose to mock that it is from Jamaica.

The woman who did the study, Dr. Melanie Dreher, is a highly-respected academician and researcher who is probably the world’s foremost authority on ganja use in Jamaica. That interview contained a general overview of Dreher’s 25 years of Jamaican research.

And to be honest, it also shows your ignorance about the ganja culture *in* Jamaica, which is actually a little bit racist of you.

For one thing, Jamaican society does not encourage women to use ganja during pregnancy. As in Canada and the US, Jamaican women are told that using cannabis during pregnancy will severely harm their children.

If you are truly interested in learning about this issue, then it would be beneficial to actually look into a source/study that is provided instead having a knee-jerk reaction.

Oh, and there was a similar study done in Canada.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:11 PM

:::

Christine. Unschooling mom to Hollis, Zobey, Zeda, Anna, and Wednesday. We have a lot invested in this whole family thing with marriage kids and a mortgage. You don't just give up on the whole deal when it gets difficult.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeloMama08 View Post
First of all MDC is a diverse group of people with diverse attitudes. There is no "MDC opinion." There isn't consensus even about the things you mentioned. Plenty of MDCers used pain meds in labor for a variety of totally fine and legit reasons, or use formula bc they have bfing problems, let their kids watch some tv, eat some processed food, etc. We are all making the best parenting choices we can given our resources, information, and instincts. If we all had the same attitudes and experiences there would be nothing to discuss. It's not a cult.
You are right about some of those issues. Actually, I meant to put in a little disclaimer about that, but forgot since I was NAK and had my toddler crawling on me. But, MDC's UA does actually have an "opinion" on some of the issues I mentioned. I know individual users disagree, just as we do on this issue, but you aren't allowed to post in favor of using formula just for the heck of it or suggest someone get an elective c-section at 37 weeks to avoid stretch marks.

Quote:
But to shed light on your confusion... Pot is natural, not synthetic. So too are breastmilk, wooden toys, and organic fabrics. Drugs used in labor are synthetic- man-made/chemical. Plastic toys are synthetic and full of chemicals. Pot, on the other hand, is not a chemical, it comes from the earth. There are no additives, no preservatives, nothing unnecessary added. It is known for it's healing properties, similar to echinacea or chamomile. In other words, a pro-pot stance is in line with many natural living philosophies because it, too, springs naturally from the earth. People use it recreationally because prozac is synthetic- Pot is a natural way to feel good and release stress.
I guess I wasn't arguing the natural/synthetic side of it as much as I was looking at what is beneficial/harmful to our children. I have been high before I was a mother, and I would not feel comfortable being responsible for my children in that state. I also just wouldn't feel like I could give my children the most attentive care possible (aside from safety issues) under the influence of MJ. Even further, as a mother I feel like I have a different responsibility to protect myself and wouldn't want to risk jail time over MJ (although I do think it should be legalized, but the point is that NOW it is illegal).

Quote:
Also... lots of hippies smoke pot... That's just how it is.
There's good reasoning to keep doing something!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:43 PM

with my oldest ds I had to sleep on the bathroom floor because I was throwing up so much, I couldn't hold down water and gave myself whiplash from vomiting. The ONLY thing that worked was MJ,I was offered an anti-nausea medication , that after researching has many many harmful side effects to both mother and baby, Frankly I felt mj was safer for us both I didn't have to smoke it I could eat it, or take it in a glycerin based tincture. I was worried about the smoke because of the carcinogen factor, It didn't take much but it was what worked.
with my second pregnancy I was hardly sick at all and didn't have the need for it. So I didn't really use it. But now that I have 3 kids ages 3, almost2&1 I use it again, I beleive that I would have spanked my kids, or said hurtful things or been that parent that none of us wants to be. But I am able to go into a secluded place take 1 min. and I can get back in the ring calmer and happier.
I would never expect a diabetic, or an epileptic for example to go without their medication that helps them to function. I would never judge them for taking their medication full of god knows what chemical during pregnancy and yet this herb, this plant is treated like it is poison.
The whole legal issue, well in my state we have voted it in for medical uses, so it is not illegal here. But I know that some parts of the country have not yet educated themselves enough to vote in this low cost natural remedy. But where I am from it is almost a non issue. But in your case with your friend, do you know why she feels that she needs it, is she in alot of discomfort, is she sick, is she suffering some emotional woes? Do you know her situation well enough to pass your judgment upon her? If you feel that you cannot be her friend without judgment ma by you should end your friendship, because I am sure that she has enough issues without your lack of compassion and understanding for her.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:04 AM

Hi everyone I just love conversations like this. I want the thread to remain up so that others can have the information and can benefit from the healthy debate. I have removed posts, and asked for edits from some posters and am returning this thread to the forum. I am closing it to new posts. If someone has a new point, please start a new thread

Kelly~

Whatever will be, already is...

User Tag List