4yo allergic to cats; telling him we can't keep the cats??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 08-21-2008, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 4yo has developed cat allergies.

I am considering rehoming our healthy cat and keeeping the unhealthy one in a room that is closed off and off limits to DS.

How can I explain that one kitty has to go to my son without making it his fault AND setting a good example? I mean, I made a commitment to this animal 12 years ago when I brought her home and now I'm getting rid of her??

Ugh...please help.
#2 of 38 Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM

I will probably get flamed but here's my story. We had to rehome our cat through our vet's office b/c he was urinating on all ds's belongings and UTI treatment and behav mod were unsuccessful. I told him the vet would find a home for the cat where there weren't any children and he understood and seems fine w/ it. I had the cat for a long time and felt absolutely horrible about having to rehome him but I felt I had to put my child ahead of a pet, and I hope if he were old enough to understand (he's 3) he'd see that my commitment to keeping my children safe and healthy supercedes the commitment I made to the cat. It's tough--I hope it works out for you.
#3 of 38 Old 08-21-2008, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

I just don't feel comfortable telling him it's because of his allergies. I don't want him to feel like it's his fault. That's a lot to put on a kid.

(no offense in your siutation,maybe if he was younger...he didn't care about that kind of stuff much when he was younger.)
#4 of 38 Old 08-21-2008, 04:37 PM

We had to rehome our cats when our son was four and his sister was 1 (she was allergic). Some kids are definitely more sensitive than others, but the kids were fine, and my son didn't blame his sister or anything.
#5 of 38 Old 08-21-2008, 04:39 PM

No, I see your point. I agree that the child shouldn't see themselves as the cause. I don't have a 4 y/o so I don't know how where they are cognitively, but for my ds, just telling him that the cat was going to a new house that he'd like better was enough.

Again, hugs because it's a horrible position to be in.
#6 of 38 Old 08-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned

people coexist w/ allergies and animals. see a doc. allergy rx are available.
#7 of 38 Old 08-21-2008, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

We are seeing a doc again. on the 11th.

however, i don't want to keep my son drugged when there are other options. not pleasant, but more healthy than meds.
#8 of 38 Old 08-21-2008, 09:18 PM

How bad are your son's allergies?

I would not rehome a pet -- least of all an older one -- for stuffiness/sneezing/coughing allergies. I would not allow the cat in his bedroom/on his bed, and I would try to help him avoid touching his eyes and face . . . but rehoming seems harsh -- especially if this is a beloved pet.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#9 of 38 Old 08-21-2008, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

His allergies are bad enough that he feels bad from them.

I'm planning on talking to the allergist next month to see how bad they really are and deciding something at that point.

She is a beloved pet and I can't imagine rehoming her. This is a terrible situation trying to decide between my son's comfort and the cat.
#10 of 38 Old 08-21-2008, 09:44 PM

okay...reminding myself to breathe deeply...

This is actually the second thread on this topic in recent months. What I see is people who don't suffer from pet allergies telling those who do to basically suck it up and get some tissues. It really angers me because it is not just sniffles and itchy eyes - it is horrible to live with an animal you are allergic too and can severely affect your life. If you don't have this problem, you can't begin to appreciate the severity.

I had a cat for 10 years that I loved and was horribly allergic too, but I knew when I got her as a stray that it was going to be awful, and it was. But I dealt with it because I was an adult making a free choice. But when my 4 year old developed an allergy to cats and was diagnosed with asthma I didn't think twice about finding a new home for the cat. That's not callous or heartless, it's loving. My responsibility to the health of my child comes before anything else, and it wasn't her choice to live with a cat.

If you don't have animal allergies, seriously, you don't have a clue. And I am saying that in the nicest way possible.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#11 of 38 Old 08-21-2008, 10:15 PM

As someone who is/was severely allergic to animals, there is no way I would get rid of a pet. I had two cats that I had gotten when I was four, a year later they discovered that I was allergic to them, amongst many other things. My parents left it up to me, I could get rid of my cats, or I could get allergy shots (they didn't have pills back then) I chose the shots, and I'm glad my parents left it up to be because I don't think I would have ever forgiven them if they got rid of my kitties. The shots didn't work at all, and we stopped them after a year. I was miserable a lot of the time, but once I learned to keep the kitties out of my room, and to wash my hands after touching them it wasn't a huge issue. After 18 some years of living with cats, I'm pretty much immune to them. Sure if I hug them and have them near my face, my allergies start acting up, but simply living with them isn't a problem, they even sleep on my bed. My pollen allergies are about 100 times worse, and I certainly don't lock myself up in an airtight room all summer.
Unless the allergy is serous enough to cause harm, like how peanut allergies are, I would not get rid of a pet, ever. It only shows that family members are disposable when they get to be inconvenient. There all all kinds of medications he can take when his allergies are acting up, not every day, only when it's really uncomfortable, that work great.

ETA: Unless he is just allergic to cats, and doesn't have any other environmental allergies, he's still going to have times when he feels like crap. Dust and pollen can't just be gotten rid of. You can minimize it with air filters and frequent cleaning, but he would still encounter it, especially if he likes to play outside.
#12 of 38 Old 08-22-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshoes View Post
It really angers me because it is not just sniffles and itchy eyes - it is horrible to live with an animal you are allergic too and can severely affect your life. If you don't have this problem, you can't begin to appreciate the severity.
As a child, I had allergies to our cats. I would have been livid at the idea of having them taken away from me, though, and I'm very glad that my mom laughed at the doctor's suggestion to get rid of our pets. We limited their time on my bed and such, but honestly -- getting rid of our cats would have been traumatic for all of us, and we would have found some way to avoid doing it.

I also believe that growing up around them allowed me the chance to build up my system and overcome the allergies. I'm no longer allergic to pets, and I haven't been in a looooong time.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#13 of 38 Old 08-22-2008, 11:59 AM

My opinion? If you can wait a month until his doctor's appointment - then the allergies aren't that bad.

I have allergies to cats. But my body has adjusted - and I currently own 3. If I go away for more than a couple days - I spend the first week or two I'm home with all my allergy symptoms.

I wouldn't rehome pets unless it was actually a serious allergy.

There are plenty of things you can do to minimize exposure. You can get a good vacuum with a really good filter. You can make sure not to vacuum until your son goes to bed (so that the allergens have a chance to settle before he's around the house). You can make his bedroom a cat free place. You can keep the cats off all the furniture. You can get playmats (like those road map ones). When your son wants to play on the ground - unroll the map, he plays - and then put it up when he's done. At 4 - he is way old enough to help. You can reduce the other allergens in your home by switching to fragrance free versions of cleaners, soaps, shampoos, laundry detergent.

I guess I would try all those things and more before deciding to get rid of a cat. Also - locking a cat in a room all the time (what your propose with you ill cat) isn't a good quality of life.
#14 of 38 Old 08-22-2008, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am allergic to cats, and I have two cats. So my bedroom is a cat-free zone. I also change the furnace/air conditioning filter regularly, and I vacuum regularly. That really makes a huge difference but the biggest thing is not letting the cat in the allergy sufferer's room. And for no time at all in the room - if the cat is in the room the fur and dander will still be there later when he goes to sleep.
#15 of 38 Old 08-22-2008, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessed View Post
My opinion? If you can wait a month until his doctor's appointment - then the allergies aren't that bad.

-----

I guess I would try all those things and more before deciding to get rid of a cat. Also - locking a cat in a room all the time (what your propose with you ill cat) isn't a good quality of life.
I have been doing most of those things. We have huge air filters, I bathe the cats bi-monthly, they are not allowed in our bedroom, I don't use chemical cleaners and everything is fragrence free.

I know that that quality of life isn't good, but what about my son's quality of life?

I have allergy problems myself and when they flare up I feel awful. It just doesn't seem like good quality fo life to force my son to live like that.
#16 of 38 Old 08-22-2008, 12:13 PM

Stop bathing the cats!!!!!!!!!!!

Cat allergies are to the 'dander'... That's the dried spit from them cleaning themselves. Every time you wash a cat they will spend a very long time washing themself after. That will just INCREASE the amount of allergens - not decrease it.

What about allergy shots?

What about using a good allergy medication to control the allergies - and then wean off it? That's what I do if I go on vacation. I take an allergy medicine for about a week - then I slowly decrease the dose over the next week.
#17 of 38 Old 08-22-2008, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Learning View Post
I have been doing most of those things. We have huge air filters, I bathe the cats bi-monthly, they are not allowed in our bedroom, I don't use chemical cleaners and everything is fragrence free.

I know that that quality of life isn't good, but what about my son's quality of life?

I have allergy problems myself and when they flare up I feel awful. It just doesn't seem like good quality fo life to force my son to live like that.
Well, I'll be the one to agree with you that if your son is that miserable, and you've tried all that, and he's still miserable, then maybe the answer really is to find a new home for the cat. It is hard but I agree that kids come before pets. I'd be hesitant to give my daughter a lot of allergy medicine too but you might want to research and talk to the allergist because there might be an option as far as medicine goes that isn't too bad. I know it isn't an easy decision.
#18 of 38 Old 08-22-2008, 12:30 PM

There is a nice house full of very fun kitty things and there is room for our kitty. He's going to be so happy there! We can send him cards!
That's what I would do I think. On the other hand my son is miserable enough with allergies that if the cats made him sneeze I think he'd accept getting rid of them to make it better so I might be honest about why while also emphasizing how happy kitty was going to be.
My son has allergies and we do have cats. He was positive and then negative so I really don't know if he is allergic to them or not and he has a load of other allergies so the cats aren't significant it seems. I do allergy proof his room. But if the cats were making him miserable I would certainly prioritize my child over my cats. Unhealthy cat...I wonder if euthanizing if you can't find a home would be better than locking him in the room all the time. I guess
it depends on his personality...will anyone be visiting with him in there?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#19 of 38 Old 08-22-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazee View Post
Well, I'll be the one to agree with you that if your son is that miserable, and you've tried all that, and he's still miserable, then maybe the answer really is to find a new home for the cat. It is hard but I agree that kids come before pets. I'd be hesitant to give my daughter a lot of allergy medicine too but you might want to research and talk to the allergist because there might be an option as far as medicine goes that isn't too bad. I know it isn't an easy decision.
Thanks, it's a horrible situation.

I've been giving him Claritin in hopes of helping him feel better until we can figure this out, but it's not really working.

It's like somethign switched on in him and he's suddenly REALLY allergic. He's never really had problems with them in the past. Several times a day now he screams because his eyes itch. He's stuffy, probably has a headache, just plain miserable.
#20 of 38 Old 08-22-2008, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Now. I started this thread asking for advice about how to deal with DS when it comes time that I find a home for the kitty. NOT for advice about if I should keep them or not.

Please post away with adice about how to help DS, but please keep it to yourself if you think I'm the devil for trying to take care of my son in the way I feel is best for him. This isn't easy for me, you have no idea.
#21 of 38 Old 08-22-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Now. I started this thread asking for advice about how to deal with DS when it comes time that I find a home for the kitty. NOT for advice about if I should keep them or not.

Please post away with adice about how to help DS, but please keep it to yourself if you think I'm the devil for trying to take care of my son in the way I feel is best for him. This isn't easy for me, you have no idea.
I"m sorry.

But you can't pick and choose what advice people choose to give. You can't dictate what part of your story people feel drawn to.

Let me put it this way. If someone came here and asked "What's the best way to spank my child" - do you think people would limit themselves to answering that direct question?
#22 of 38 Old 08-22-2008, 01:44 PM

How about instead of just getting rid of them and coming up with some excuse as to how it's not his fault, you just ask him what he wants to do? He knows how bad he feels because of the allergies, and maybe he's willing to put up with it to keep a beloved pet, or maybe he's not too crazy about the kitties in the first place and would rather feel better? Is he just allergic to cats, or does he have other environmental allergies? If he has other allergies also, I'd be sure to explain to him that sometimes he still might be feeling bad because of other things. This way he wouldn't think that he would never feel bad again if he got rid of the cats. I can understand it both ways. I would have never forgiven my parents if they got rid of my cats for me, and I was willing to suffer to keep them. But I can also understand how a kid could not be too attached to the pets and would be upset if his parents forced him to suffer and just kept them. Just ask him what he wants to do.

I also agree that keeping the sick cat locked up in one room all the time would not be good for the cat. Maybe if this is a room you are in all the time, like an office, with nice sunny windows and things, but if you are just gonna lock them up in a laundry room or unused room than I think you should just re-home him also. How would you feel to be sick and locked in one room with minimal interaction from your family?
#23 of 38 Old 08-22-2008, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
There is a nice house full of very fun kitty things and there is room for our kitty. He's going to be so happy there! We can send him cards!
That's what I would do I think. On the other hand my son is miserable enough with allergies that if the cats made him sneeze I think he'd accept getting rid of them to make it better so I might be honest about why while also emphasizing how happy kitty was going to be.
My son has allergies and we do have cats. He was positive and then negative so I really don't know if he is allergic to them or not and he has a load of other allergies so the cats aren't significant it seems. I do allergy proof his room. But if the cats were making him miserable I would certainly prioritize my child over my cats. Unhealthy cat...I wonder if euthanizing if you can't find a home would be better than locking him in the room all the time. I guess
it depends on his personality...will anyone be visiting with him in there?
Thanks, this is so hard.

I will be visiting to feed and take care of the litter box of course. I wouldn' be spednign hours in there, but daily visits. It's so hard to know if this is enough.
#24 of 38 Old 08-22-2008, 05:23 PM

Personally, I wouldn't leave the decision up to my 4 (right?) y/o. I think that's way too much responsibility. If you decide to rehome the cat, I still say that telling him the cat went somewhere nicer to live is the way to go--and the sending them cards idea is nice too. I know a PP said she got to make the choice and is glad she did, but I think that's looking back at it as an adult. I agonized over our decision and was so worried about the effect on my ds, and it barely even registered. I"m not sure that'd be the case if I had made him take responsibility for the act.

When my brother and I were 3 an 7 my mom had our elderly dog put down and she said that it took 2 weeks before we even started asking where he was. She told us he ran away--I wish she had told us the "new home" story. I don't know how much involvement your dc has w/ the cats, but having them gone may not be as traumatic as you're assuming, and I assume you are kind of projecting because you feel so terrible about the whole thing.

Also, and now I'm just curious and not meaning to hijack, but I have allergies to mold, fungus and pollen. I lived in a mildewy apt for a year and developed asthma at age 31. While exposure to allergens can desensitize you, can't it also make you more sensitive?
#25 of 38 Old 08-22-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
We are seeing a doc again. on the 11th.

however, i don't want to keep my son drugged when there are other options. not pleasant, but more healthy than meds.
Allerpet. Well, I think it has a new name now, but's you put it on the cat's fur every week, it really helps- honest. I have cat allergies and 5 cats and very rarley need allergy meds for the cats. I guess it's like 'shampoo', it does something to the dander which is what causes the allergies.
#26 of 38 Old 08-22-2008, 07:17 PM

I don't think anyone has the right to judge whether or not your son's allergies are severe enough to warrant rehoming your cat. You are the mama, and you have to do what you feel is best for your son.

I have environmental allergies, as well as allergies to dogs and cats. I spent my whole life with dogs, so have somehow managed to develop a bit of immunity to them. As a kid, as long as we vaccuumed frequently we were able to keep my dog. I now have two large breed dogs, and my allergies only act up if I am not keeping up with the hair as much as I should be. My reactions to the dogs and all of my other enviro allergies is stuffiness, and itchy eyes.

My reactions to cats were entirely different. We discovered my allergy when I was in kindergarten, and my babysitter got a kitten. My eyes would literally swell shut and my face would be so itchy I would scratch until I bled. Even though I was only at my babysitter's house during the day, the symptoms followed me home and I was miserable 24 hours a day. My parents had to find other care arrangements for me.

Over the years (and after a round of allergy shots) my cat allergy has lessened to the point that I could now probably live with a cat if I took all of the pps' advice (washed my hands frequently, kept the cat out of the bedroom, vaccuumed lots, took meds), but as a child there would just be no way. My allergies were too severe.

I am a huge pet lover. But I wouldn't allow my child to suffer... child comes before pets.

I get very angry and annoyed when people give up their animals for frivolous reasons, and do so in irresponsible ways. But there are times when a person truly needs to rehome a pet, and if it is done responsibly I don't see a problem with it. If you were planning on just dropping it off at a shelter, I would certainly have something different to say, but if you are taking the time to find another safe loving home I think what you are doing is fine.

You are teaching your son responsible pet ownership. If there is a legitimate reason why you can't keep a pet, you take the time to find them a new home. I don't think this is a bad life lesson.

As for your son, I would probably tell him that the cat is going to live with a new family, and would probably leave out the "why". Tell him it is ok to be sad, but that your cat will be happy. I love the cards idea. Expect some tears, but overall kids are pretty resilient.

As for you, it is again ok to be sad, but don't feel bad. You are doing right by your son, and by finding a new loving home you are doing right by your cat as well.

Be kind to yourself, mama.

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#27 of 38 Old 08-23-2008, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for all the kind words. This has been a really hard thing to deal with and it seems there's no great solution no matter which choice I make.
#28 of 38 Old 08-24-2008, 12:27 AM

Is it possible that your son's recent increase in allergies is due to the seasonal allergies that really affect some people this time of year? If you are reacting to one thing your reactions to other allergens are likely to be stronger as well. If he had been ok living with the cat with some extra care he may go back to it once ragweed or whatever season is over.

Can you try the allerpet? Can you try boarding the cat out at the vets or putting it in a foster home for a while so that you can see for sure that removing them from the house fixes the problem? I wouldn't lock the ill cat in one room unless its truly only a temporary situation.

If you've tried everything and you really have to move the cats, If it were my child I probably would be honest about why. That's the way my child is though, he'll suss out something that seems fishy and question it to death if you don't just tell him the truth from the beginning. I'd probably say something about how some people can live with cats and it doesn't make them sick and some people can't. Its a better idea to let the kitty live with someone who it doesn't make sick and you can write to or visit (if possible) the kitty but we can't live with her in our house.
#29 of 38 Old 08-24-2008, 08:28 PM

We had to send our cat to live with MIL. The cat is extremely jealous of DD and does much better in a one-on-one environment. We just told DD that Kylie was going to live somewhere else. She fussed about it a little, even though we still get to see her, but she's OK with it now.
#30 of 38 Old 08-24-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
His allergies are bad enough that he feels bad from them.

I'm planning on talking to the allergist next month to see how bad they really are and deciding something at that point.

She is a beloved pet and I can't imagine rehoming her. This is a terrible situation trying to decide between my son's comfort and the cat.
Are you sure it's the cat he's allergic to? I was told as a kid that my allergies were due to our cat and my stuffed animals (dust mites) since these are common allergens, but no one ever did any testing.

Come to find out that when I had allergy testing done as an adult, I wasn't even allergic to cats. I have a grass allergy.

(Incidentally, my parents didn't get rid of our cat since I was so attached to him, but I certainly understand finding a new home for a pet for health reasons.)

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page