Moms of Many September 2008 thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 91 Old 08-31-2008, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: Welcome to September M.O.M's :

I am back! we have had a busy month with a newborn and several of my older children sitting exams. It wont be long til my eldest will be finished school and off to university; which makes me feel old.

hope you all well

Sam

Sam, mum to: Ian, James, Lottie, Maddy, Jack, Ruby, Bronte & Sophia and Nate
#2 of 91 Old 08-31-2008, 11:11 AM

Hi.... again! I posted an intro in the July thread a few days ago not noticing there was an August thread so I figured I'ld re-post it in the September thread so here goes...... Hi everyone! Mind if I join? I did post on a MOM thread awhile back but never officially joined. I'm Sarah married to Steve and we have 4 dc, dd 9, ds#1- 8, ds#2 almost 4,ds#3- 17m and one on the way. I'm a SAHM and dh works construction. The reaction I'm getting when people find out I'm expecting is almost comical really, lol. Although dh has some GREAT comebacks ready Oh and in answer to the co-sleeping ? dd and oldest ds each have their own rooms that are connected by a double doorway and ds#2 and ds#3 sleep in our room. Both start in the bed then I move ds#2 to his little cot about 2' from my side of the bed and the baby usually gets moved to his crib at the foot of our bed (if mama can stay awake to do it, lol) and usually goes until the morning. We'll see what happens come March with the newest lo.

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
#3 of 91 Old 08-31-2008, 12:35 PM

Hi, I can't believe it's September already!

Nic, loving mama to 5 with a SURPRISE 6th on the way.

#4 of 91 Old 09-01-2008, 02:45 AM

Can I get all personal? Was the time you got your period back different with each kid or the same? I have always gotten my period back by 8 weeks pp but this one its almost 6 months and well nothing. DH did have a vasectomy but has not gone back in to get it checked and well now I am all freaked out (I was fine about it until I had a pg dream) . So someone tell me that its all different right? Joe says it because I am nursing two but Marah only nurses once a day and its for about 5-10 minutes before she passes out to sleep at night. There is no change in my nursing the baby either, same nurse on demand, cosleeping we have always done.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#5 of 91 Old 09-01-2008, 11:15 AM

Hi everyone! Things have been busy here too. The three children I was watching on their school break just started back at school and we had a party for them. Two new part-time childcare clients started last week; one toddler and one sibling pair (5 and 3).

Ds turned five yesterday and ds2 turns three this Wednesday. Dh is putting dd's dollhouse together right now. She picked it out for her birthday. It's almost as tall as she is, but it's narrow, so it'll fit nicely into her room.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#6 of 91 Old 09-01-2008, 11:16 AM

Allison,

Mine came back two months postpartum with my first. With the last three it's been when they were roughly a year old.

#7 of 91 Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey everyone!! I can't believe it's September. We've begun homeschooling my oldest dd in K, I've been putting up lots of tomato sauce from my garden (and giving lots of 'maters away to neighbors too!), began my last succession planting withquick maturing veggies and cool weather veggies and we're getting ready for #4's arrival in November.

I finally got my homeschooling nook the way I want it (it's in my office), and am doing my best to keep up with everything else. We moved recently and I just got alibrary card in our new location and took my first visit last week and was blown away by what the little branch near my house had as far as homeschooling and Pre-K, K resources... The main library is a few minutes away and three floors full. And there is no limt on books! Are any of you the type to take out tons of books at once? Last year when we began my dd in Pre-K we had 75 books out at once (between her, my son (truck/car books), and myself (homemaking, homesteading, cooking, 'my' interests). We kept track of them all I'm happy to say - we have a system so we return all of them and don't loose 'em. I browse the books, use from them what I need or want, take notes if necessary and add them to my 'books to buy' list if they're really good. I feel kind of silly taking out so many books at once though!

As far as postartum periods, I typically get mine back around 5 months. Then I get pregnant again within a month or a few ;-)
#8 of 91 Old 09-02-2008, 12:14 AM

Allison- each was diffrent with me. AF returned pp with number one at about nine mos,with number two at six and with number three not until 18!(I was tandem nursing) Number four is16mos and nosign yet...but i also put in the implanon so who knows if that affects it.

Sara- We take out a ton of books too. Have you heard of the library elf? It emails you and helps keep track of what books you have out from which libraries!!

Well, I have two teens in public school and dd turned five in may so this is our official first year of homeschool with her! I seriously think my three year old my be ADHD and the baby has decided to go back to not sleeping through the night! Im a tiny bit exhausted! Luckily my oldest is driving so he and his cousin who lives with us (my "other teen son") get to school with no help from me! They wash thier own clothes, set the alarm and get up, eat and go in the mornings.

My computer died and i'm on ds's laptop and i hate typing on this itty bitty keyboard! A new computer isnt in the budget though....

Well, its justa good thing that i thrive on chaos!!!:

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#9 of 91 Old 09-02-2008, 12:19 AM

I always miss this thread : and then I miss you ladies, so I am signing up.

Daniel is 16 months old and I still don't have my period back. Every now and again I feel twingy, but nothing. I have noticed it comes back later with each kiddo.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#10 of 91 Old 09-02-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonK View Post
Can I get all personal? Was the time you got your period back different with each kid or the same?
It was the same after the first three, around the 11-12 month mark. Like clockwork. This time, since about 10 weeks after his birth I've had spotting every 2 weeks or so. Sometimes super light, sometimes heavier. No AF, exactly... but definitely weird stuff going on. I'm not fertile, though, I guess.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#11 of 91 Old 09-02-2008, 12:39 AM

I was wondering... how do you all handle childcare? I don't mean like daycare, I mean babysitting? My baby always comes with me, and when I had the two little girls and a baby it was easy to leave the girls with anyone. (Trusted friends, I mean. Not "anyone!") Now, it's 3 little kids I'd be leaving with someone for 2-3 hours to go on a date with my Dh... and that seems somehow to be a whole new ballgame.

My friends are either childless, and therefore not used to dealing with three kids at once, or they have kids of their own to deal with! It just seems like too much to ask. Swapping babysitting just got a bit lopsided since now I have more kids than my friends. And I'm thinking we're having more, so it's not going to get easier in this respect.

Is paying a stranger the only option if we want to go on a date? Dh really misses dates with me alone (well, with a sling-baby. ) I'd like to be able to make that more of a possibility but I just don't see it happening. We've been doing "in home" dates when the kids are asleep, but it's not exactly working that well. Any ideas? If it's "suck it up until your kids are older"... well, that's what I planned to do anyway.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#12 of 91 Old 09-02-2008, 12:43 AM

I've only had one PP periods after River and Isaac's births, and they were both around the 6 month mark- with Alex, Rowan and Skye, I went straight to pregnant, though I didn't always stay that way We had a BIG scare this week though, and I'm pretty sure I'm done with babies. I'm looking forward to the next stage of my life- watching them grow up, going back to studying myself, getting a job even, that kind of stuff. Sleeping through the night would be quite exciting, I have to say.

Colleen, we cross-posted. I normally get my childcare through LETS (a barter network) and if it's for all four at once, like tomorrow, I advertised for two people, maybe a pair of friends. (we have a family funeral to go to.) I'm leaving River as well, because it's DH's side of the family, I don't know most of them and there's going to be family politics, so I figure more hands than less is going to be a good thing.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#13 of 91 Old 09-02-2008, 12:30 PM

My first PPAF has been different each time but I noticed I'm not regular until well into the first year. It seems my body might be trying to attempt to regulate itself now. I'm averaging 45 day cycles. Sage is still nursing often and only now starting to eat 2-3 solid meals a day.

I need help getting my boys to be nice to one another.. I'm seriously considering kindness bootcamp this week. Ugh!

I guess I should go enforce some routine around here. The boys should be cracking open their books to have a go at something educational.

#14 of 91 Old 09-02-2008, 01:02 PM

My first PPAF has been around 11 weeks with all of my children. And, I usually bleed for the first 7 weeks or so after birth. I EBF on demand and co-sleep, no pacis, etc.............

As far as babysitters, we usually do not go out without the kiddos. If we do we leave them with my sister. I don't leave whoever is the baby until they are eating solids and drinking from a sippy. I will leave the babies when they are tiny with dh if I am just running to the grocery store.

So, we have a bit of a maybe-baby situation going on here and I am so hoping I am pregnant (and that I stay that way) . I am only 2 dpo today so it will be a while until I know. :

I have gone back to school. I am only taking one class this semester (a government class) and it is online but I am really excited! My class starts today.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#15 of 91 Old 09-02-2008, 02:16 PM

Dd2 is 2 today!: The time just flies doesn't it. Her first two years have coincided with some of the hardest years of our family life to date and to be honest, her character hasn't made things any easier. I'm hoping for a calmer child and a calmer life over the next two years.

I can't really remember when ppaf arrived each time to be honest but it has been around the year mark I think but getting later and later each time. I have had an IUD after each of the last three so although I do watch my cycle for my own interest (!) I haven't ever needed to chart to avoid so it hasn't been a turning point for us in that way.
#16 of 91 Old 09-02-2008, 09:18 PM

The school schedule is in full swing! So many things on the calendar.

Orangefoot: which IUD have you had, if you don't mind sharing that bit of personal info?

I've been telling my Dh that we are done with #5, but everytime I say, in my head jumps out "SIX!" And since this is not a twin gestation, I don't quite know what to make of it. I really want some spacing between 5 and if there is a 6, but not too much. Just not sure what I want to do.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#17 of 91 Old 09-02-2008, 09:30 PM

Mine is a simple copper T called TCu-380A. I have also had a Multiload and a Nova T. I have a blood clotting disorder so cannot use any hormonal contraception but also need to plan a pregnancy so that I have all the pregnancy treatments in place from the word go.

As I said this is my third and I have had no problems with any of them and conceived on my first cycle after removal. The doctor who fitted my last one is a mum I know from a toy library that I went to with ds1 who is now 15. She has six children and said that she would be very happy to take it out at any time if we wanted to have a fifth babe to try and catch her up but if not it could stay put for 10 years. The other doctor who was with her to observe was laughing at that!
#18 of 91 Old 09-02-2008, 09:41 PM

So, I'm having a bit of a problem with meals.

Back in the day, when I had just one or two, I tried to be really understanding about food. I always made sure there was something at each meal that everyone would eat, and if they didn't like the food, they could help themselves to fruit or make a sandwich. Now that I have 4, it goes like this:
KID 1: What's for lunch?
ME: Peanut butter noodles.
KID 1: I don't like that. Can I make a sandwich?
KID 2: Can I make a sandwich?
KID 3: I want a sandwich too!
KID 4: *Doesn't talk yet, praise God*

And I'm stuck with a bowl of peanut butter noodles no one will eat AND I've "lost" the supplies for three sandwiches that I hadn't planned to make that day.

I no longer have the wiggle room in my menu or my budget for this sort of thing. Plus if one doesn't want it, all of a sudden no one wants it.

How do you all handle this?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#19 of 91 Old 09-03-2008, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
The school schedule is in full swing! So many things on the calendar.

Orangefoot: which IUD have you had, if you don't mind sharing that bit of personal info?

I've been telling my Dh that we are done with #5, but everytime I say, in my head jumps out "SIX!" And since this is not a twin gestation, I don't quite know what to make of it. I really want some spacing between 5 and if there is a 6, but not too much. Just not sure what I want to do.
Hey, weren't you the same woman who swore there was no way her dh was talking her into number five? And now you are the one talking number six!

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#20 of 91 Old 09-03-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

Mmm... after kid 1 says they don't like that I'd say 'Do you remember that we can't always have our favourite dinner? Would you like some x or y alongside/after your noodles?'

Mine just have to eat what there is or we negotiate what to cook between us while looking in the fridge. Sometimes it is everyone's favourite dinner but sometimes it isn't but there is no way to turn the sow's ear into a silk purse. That's life when things are tight. I don't even get my favourite dinner every day but sometimes I just have to have what is in the cupboard and tell myself it isn't poison!

Maybe now is the time to talk about what is and isn't possible then negotiate a revision of alternatives or change to add-ons to what you have already prepared.
#21 of 91 Old 09-03-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Back in the day, when I had just one or two, I tried to be really understanding about food. I always made sure there was something at each meal that everyone would eat, and if they didn't like the food, they could help themselves to fruit or make a sandwich. Now that I have 4, it goes like this:

And I'm stuck with a bowl of peanut butter noodles no one will eat AND I've "lost" the supplies for three sandwiches that I hadn't planned to make that day.

I no longer have the wiggle room in my menu or my budget for this sort of thing. Plus if one doesn't want it, all of a sudden no one wants it.

I haven't officially joined this thread because I am technically not a mom...but I have four stepkids so I am a step-mom to many when they are home!

At any rate, here is how I handle mealtimes with four kids and a tiny house. I make the meals and they choose to eat it! Our kitchen is entirely too small and my food buying is usually for specific meals so it would be a mad-house if everyone decided to make sandwiches at meals instead of eating what is cooked or offered. I plan my meals to make sure that at least three of the four kids like what is being served and there is always at least one part of the meal that they will all eat. For instance, DSS 7 hates potatoes and anything that has potatoes in it. But he loves chicken. So when we have pierogies, I make sure that it is paired with chicken so even though he won't eat the pierogies, he will eat the chicken.

Hope this helps!

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#22 of 91 Old 09-03-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglyn View Post
Hey, weren't you the same woman who swore there was no way her dh was talking her into number five? And now you are the one talking number six!
You know, breastfeeding is only good for birth control for so long...

He told me that he would be willing to use condoms after this one until I was done breastfeeding and could go on real bcp's. He swears that if I see anything leaking from the condom that it really isn't broken...it's the lubricant...silly man.

I'm still not sure how he talked me into #5. Oh wait, I do remember...he plied me with Mike's lemonade. I will never ever drink that again...though last week when it was 90 outside, I was craving it! Silly me!

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#23 of 91 Old 09-04-2008, 01:43 AM

I noticed they are getting closer in spacing as you go too! Your dh isnt to be trusted....accept no drinks from him!

#24 of 91 Old 09-04-2008, 02:36 AM

OK, seeing as the conversation is going this way here I'm fessing up.
We had a pregnancy scare last week, a big one. The kind of "unprotected sex 24 hours before ovulation" big one. And I freaked, and I took the morning after pill, and I freaked some more, and some more, and some more. And THEN I went to the family planning clinic and they fitted me with the same coil Orangefoot has as emergency contraception and so far, touch wood, it's great
And then, of course, after all that, AF showed yesterday anyhow so there's no way I'd have been able to hold a pregnancy with a luteal phase that short anyhow. It's more proof that I'm getting less fertile as I get older, which I knew anyhow, but I'm pretty sure that I'm done at four Are you going to kick me off the thread?

Annettemarie, can I have your recipe for peanut butter noodles please? I think in that situation I would talk honestly with them about it and maybe use your budget/ shopping list as a resource for HSing fora while.

Orangefoot and Freya, have a very happy birthday!

Aurora, how exciting! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you : :

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#25 of 91 Old 09-04-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:

*Joining thread*

Anyhow, I am not a short order cook and kids are expected to eat what is served. But I do have a sensory kid who is very picky. Our rule is that you eat what is served or you may have a PB &J sandwich that you make and clean up after yourself. (Even my 4 y.o. can make a PB & J with some supervision) IMHO the option needs to be something unglamorous and cheap, but they will want to eat if they are truly hungry. I get bread at the outlet store (I know some mamas make their own cheap) PB is WIC and jelly is cheap and I can even make it from WIC juice if so inclined, so a PB & J sandwich is cheap, here. Here, fruit or a lunchmeat sandwich is not. (I realize that may not be true for everyone.) The other corrollary to that is if nobody ate the PB noodles (I'm not even sure what that is?) that is what would be offered at the next meal. I also try for a "thank you" bite, but lately I haven't been really consistent with that. Also, if they don't eat the offered dinner they don't get any dessert that might be offered. If it starts to become a problem, I might be having some really good desserts that day.

Katie, mama to Katherine 19, Christian 17, Johannah 15, Nicholas 10, Genevieve 8, Matthew 5, Andrew 11/16/09 10#6oz home waterbirth and madly in love with  my husband, Scott

#26 of 91 Old 09-04-2008, 07:16 PM

My fertility comes right back about a week after the PP bleeding stops.Doesn't matter that I EBF,cosleep,tandem,triandem...I guess I have enough fluffiness that my body thinks I can take care of another baby. I am good with four but have given up on BC since it hasn't worked 3 out of 4 times but neither one of us is ready for any snips.Not to scare you but....My cycle came back at my usual time after DD and I had 2 cycles and then they stopped and I thought maybe tandem nursing was working out for me. 3 more months and my aunt has a pregnancy dream about me and I suddenly feel a baby and woops I'm 20 weeks pregnant with #4!I now test twice before every period because for some reason I feel the same kicks I felt during my pregnancies at random times.
Food- all of them have so many differnet preferneces.I try to cook a meal that they would eat at least some of.I'll make chicken and rice and beans and the kids like the rice and sometimes the chicken, only DD eats the veggies but my oldest has two eat three pieces and they all eat beans.If its lunch time they usually get PB sandiwches anyway.
Gotta go someone's pulling on my arm.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#27 of 91 Old 09-04-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone!! I can't believe it's September. We've begun homeschooling my oldest dd in K,

We're in our fourth year of homeschooling and I love it!

Quote:

I go "that's what's for lunch, if you want something else, you can eat at dinner." I just don't have the money to make something and have them eat something else. Our menu and budget are fairly planned out and changing it after food is made isn't what I can do.

Quote:
I was wondering... how do you all handle childcare? I don't mean like daycare, I mean babysitting?
I have two homeschooled mother's helper/babysitters. I met them through a local email list, had them come over about once a week for six months or so, watched them get to know my children. I had plenty of time to talk to them and show them how I do things with the kids and I'm totally comfortable having them babysit when I'm not here.

What we usually end up doing is asking my mom or dh's mom to come watch the children and one of the teens comes and helps them.

#28 of 91 Old 09-05-2008, 12:27 AM

Hi, I am joining y'all too. I was just laying here thinking that I really like the #5 even though I have felt that 4 is enough, and I would really like to just finish school and start making some money to take care of my babe's. I envy all of you who are HSing, DH's family is rabidly against it and bullied him into stopping us before we even got started. It seems like summer ends just when we are all getting into a comfortable routine together. I have a feeling we will get another chance to try it again someday though. Anyway, as far as AF goes, she usually shows up around 7 or 8 months and though we were were sooo careful the first few times we DTD, that was sooooo 4 months ago . I'm thinking about getting everything tied up, but I feel like that is so permanent, well it is... but YKWIM. And babysitting, well we have a couple of girls who we consider family and they spend a lot of time w/ us even when they aren't babysitting. Though the last few times DH and I have gone out for dinner, Noah has come w/ us. I want to go out w/ my SIL Saturday night, but I know I'm not going to have enough pumped, so... those plans are up in the air. Happy to be here ladies, kind of feels like home. By the by, Hey there Flapjack, nice to see you again.

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

#29 of 91 Old 09-05-2008, 11:58 AM

My husband lost his job two days ago. Uncertainty abounds.

#30 of 91 Old 09-05-2008, 10:09 PM

Mumof3Nic I hope something comes up for you soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page