Spirited Kids Tribe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 112 Old 09-03-2008, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the only other spirited kids tribe was archived (please point me in the right direction if I'm wrong). Just wanted to get another started. I'm currently reading Raising Your Spirited Child. My dd is only 22 months old but it was apparent from pretty early on that she was most definitely a spirited little one (even had a very spirited birth to say the least).
#2 of 112 Old 09-03-2008, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi there! In the interest of limiting FYT to subjects not hosted elsewhere on the board, we have moved your tribe here. You're still a tribe, which means you're still support-only. If you have any questions about the move, please do not discuss it on the boards. Rather, contact an administrator or start a thread in Questions and Suggestions. Thanks, and happy posting!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 112 Old 09-03-2008, 10:37 AM

My 29 mo old is definitely a spirited little boy! Somedays he is really challenging for me but most days he is a delight to be around.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

#4 of 112 Old 09-03-2008, 10:47 AM

Yes, my daughter is spirited. I've already heard from her teacher this year. "She's quite . . . active, isn't she?" Yes, yes, she is. Dh and I have already decided if she has trouble in school due to her spirited issues (she calls it her "wildness" - she likes the idea of being wild for some reason, though I'm not sure where she heard that) we'll just homeschool her. I love her as she is.
#5 of 112 Old 09-03-2008, 11:02 AM

I am so happy this tribe was started! Our 4yo daughter is as spirited as they come! She can be a handful but has such a wonderful view of the world around her that I would not change her for the world (at least that is how I feel 98% of the time, the other 2% I ask why did I not get one of those "quiet" models?)

Apparently doing it rong and ruining it for everyone, but I don't give a crap anymorebanana.gif

#6 of 112 Old 09-03-2008, 02:54 PM

DS will be three in November and is most definitely spirited

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
#7 of 112 Old 09-03-2008, 04:06 PM

raising my second spirited child here!!!

my first was 11 before i had my second.......

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#8 of 112 Old 09-04-2008, 01:11 AM

I have a very spirited almost 5 year old.

My Mom says she is exactly like me.

Now that I have another child to compare mothering to, I have been able to reflect back and see just how spirited DD is.

She was 3 weeks overdue and 3 days of labor! She wasn't coming out till she was good and ready.

We were so intensely bonded that she literally felt like the same person for a few months after she was born.

She needs a lot of physical contact. She's still nursing.

She is LOUD!

She is bouncy.

She needs lots of help with transitions (but getting much better about it).

She is persistent. I can tell when her mind is made up about something and nothing is going to change it. The best thing to do is to help her meet the need. Many others (including my in-laws) are a bit judgmental about this.

I fear DH does not understand her at all.

I am completely enjoying my "Mr. Mellow" DS. He is the perfect little brother for my DD. They are yin and yang. She loves him fiercely and he just adores her.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

#9 of 112 Old 09-04-2008, 01:31 AM

I have four kids.

First was definitely a spirited child. She is now a pregnant 16 yo, no telling her anything about anything.

Second seriously shy to the point of intense panic if people tried to engage him. I let him take his time he isn't even really shy anymore at 10yo. I don't consider him spirited. 10yo now

Third oh boy was I in for it. I thought I knew spirited with my first! This guy takes me to the limit and beyond. I adore him and he is amazing but it is a serious challenge to parent him. I have homeschooled all the others but he attends Montessori and it is works great for both of us. 3yo

Fourth she is as sweet as pie but I see a stubborn streak. I don't think she will be particularly spirited just a bit fiesty at times. a year on saturday.

I need all the support I can get for my 3yo (3rd child) I am glad to have found this tribe before it is too overwhelming to keep up with.
Not only is he spirited but he also has sensory issues which make it that much harder to interact with him. I do everything I can to accomodate him and make sure his needs get met. I find it very tiring to say the least and I also really find it difficult to take him in public very often. He needs controlled settings. Between him and my baby who screams in the car it has been a long year at home.

I look forward to sharing support with you all!

Wendi
#10 of 112 Old 09-04-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactivist View Post
I have four kids.

First was definitely a spirited child. She is now a pregnant 16 yo, no telling her anything about anything.

Second seriously shy to the point of intense panic if people tried to engage him. I let him take his time he isn't even really shy anymore at 10yo. I don't consider him spirited. 10yo now

Third oh boy was I in for it. I thought I knew spirited with my first! This guy takes me to the limit and beyond. I adore him and he is amazing but it is a serious challenge to parent him. I have homeschooled all the others but he attends Montessori and it is works great for both of us. 3yo

Fourth she is as sweet as pie but I see a stubborn streak. I don't think she will be particularly spirited just a bit fiesty at times. a year on saturday.

I need all the support I can get for my 3yo (3rd child) I am glad to have found this tribe before it is too overwhelming to keep up with.
Not only is he spirited but he also has sensory issues which make it that much harder to interact with him. I do everything I can to accomodate him and make sure his needs get met. I find it very tiring to say the least and I also really find it difficult to take him in public very often. He needs controlled settings. Between him and my baby who screams in the car it has been a long year at home.

I look forward to sharing support with you all!

Wendi

THis is so my life....my first was spirited, he's 16 now and I cant even tell him the sky is blue!! My second is five now and she was also shy to the point of panic. On her second birthday, she hid from the guests (all close family that she knew and loved...individually, the group was too much). My third is now three and likewise, he seems waay more intense than his brother, though his brother was very spirited. And my baby is 16mos and I see signs......Im really in for it! I cant put my 16mo old down at all. We call him "velcro" around here.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#11 of 112 Old 09-04-2008, 01:43 AM

You are in for it. I got so lucky with my fourth. she is really easy going and other than her temper seems to be really laid back. I am not sure I could take another one honestly. We are completely done now!
Wendi
#12 of 112 Old 09-05-2008, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

So I have an embarrassing confession to make...I dread going out into public with my dd and I very rarely do . I get so nervous just not knowing what exactly will happen. If dh is with us things go much, much better but dealing with her by myself is just completely exhausting most of the time. I have some mild-moderate social phobia as well so that doesn't help the situation either.

I was really pleased though today when we went on an outing. Really reminds me that I need to get the heck outta the house. We had to drive an hour north to go to a meeting. She was great during the meeting except towards the end when she freaked out over wanting another little girl's shoes and starting fighting. We quickly headed to the car with me holding her and her thrashing, kicking and screaming the whole way. We got into the car, had a snack, got distracted and so I put her into her car seat, which went ok (meaning I didn't have to physically restrain her very much while putting her in there - sometimes it takes all of my strength to get her in all of the way) and headed to the grocery store. She was great in the store and actually would let me put her in the cart (which she rarely does), I got what I needed quickly while she snacked on some things that I packed and then went into her car seat very easily (lured by another snack) and was fine during the hour-long drive home. Whew!

I still am really anxious though when it comes to trying to plan being out with her. Does anyone have any tips?
#13 of 112 Old 09-05-2008, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglyn View Post
raising my second spirited child here!!!

my first was 11 before i had my second.......
some days i think that might be us. i am really scared of having to anymore responsibility than her and am especially scared that we might have another spirited little one. if it wasn't for the fact that i had a craptastic birth and want to get pregnant again we might never have anymore kids.
#14 of 112 Old 09-05-2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaVagina View Post
some days i think that might be us. i am really scared of having to anymore responsibility than her and am especially scared that we might have another spirited little one. if it wasn't for the fact that i had a craptastic birth and want to get pregnant again we might never have anymore kids.
I have two 9 and 6months. Yes, it is clear that my 6 month old is very spirited. We had planned on more kids but I'm kinda scared myself. I don't know if I could do this again...

That is the first time I've said that outloud.
#15 of 112 Old 09-05-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapayaVagina View Post
So I have an embarrassing confession to make...I dread going out into public with my dd and I very rarely do . I get so nervous just not knowing what exactly will happen. If dh is with us things go much, much better but dealing with her by myself is just completely exhausting most of the time. I have some mild-moderate social phobia as well so that doesn't help the situation either.

I was really pleased though today when we went on an outing. Really reminds me that I need to get the heck outta the house. We had to drive an hour north to go to a meeting. She was great during the meeting except towards the end when she freaked out over wanting another little girl's shoes and starting fighting. We quickly headed to the car with me holding her and her thrashing, kicking and screaming the whole way. We got into the car, had a snack, got distracted and so I put her into her car seat, which went ok (meaning I didn't have to physically restrain her very much while putting her in there - sometimes it takes all of my strength to get her in all of the way) and headed to the grocery store. She was great in the store and actually would let me put her in the cart (which she rarely does), I got what I needed quickly while she snacked on some things that I packed and then went into her car seat very easily (lured by another snack) and was fine during the hour-long drive home. Whew!

I still am really anxious though when it comes to trying to plan being out with her. Does anyone have any tips?
I rarely take Keagan somewhere by myself if I know we will be inside and there will be other kids. Allison gets mad at me because she feels like I am setting him up for failure. *I* feel like I am potentially setting him up for failure if I put him in a situation like this. He just can get aggressive with no warning (as you have seen). It is getting better but I still have anxiety about it. And yeah, I've also got that social anxiety that you were talking about. It doesn't help matters any, does it?
What seems to help most with Keagan is staying away from indoor gatherings where there will be a lot of people, especially a lot of other kids. The one exception to this is that he does well at indoor part
Other things that help are making sure that we have enough food on hand that he can eat (we are GF right now) and leaving the situation right away when he starts having a hard time. It doesn't have to be a long time - sometimes all it takes is going to a different room and offering mommy milks. Other times he needs to leave all together. Most of the time when that happens it involves a long crying session because he didn't feel ready to leave. It can be really hard to put into perspective what is worse - the insult to him in leaving when he doesn't feel ready or my frustrations in constantly being right at his side reminding him what is okay and what is not (ie hitting, etc).
Okay, so sorry for the novel here but I just wanted to say that I really do feel like I understand what you are talking about here.

#16 of 112 Old 09-05-2008, 08:18 PM

Hello Mama of 5 here with 2 spirited kids and one yet to be deterimed as he's only 7 weeks old.
My 2 high maintenance babes are my 11 yr old and his mini-me my 5 yr old. While my 11 yr old has mellowed out quite a bit he definitely still has his moments. And this is sad, but in a warped way I was so glad my 5 yr old started school this year because that meant less battles with him on a daily basis. If possible he is definitely more difficult than my older one. It's a constant power struggle with him. He can be such an absolute sweetie, cuddle bug one minute and heck on wheels the next.

Amy - mom to Anna-Rebekah 14, Logan 13, Christian 8, Ethan 7 and Adan 07/15/08
#17 of 112 Old 09-06-2008, 01:25 AM

Dont feel bad about not wanting to go anywhere! When my oldest was three, I barely left the house for a year because I didnt want to inflict him on others. Once, when he was about five, he was seriously acting up in a restaraunt and I wanted to take him into the restroom just so I could talk to him in private and with his full attention. Understand that he was NEVER spanked or hit in anyway......he is FINE until we pass a table full of people and the manager....when he suddenly drops to the floor so now rather than holding his hand Im DRAGGING him and he begins to wail at the top of his lungs, "NO, please dont hit me!!" I was Mortified!! Yipes!

My three year old is getting better but for awhile I couldnt take him anywhere because of his unprovoked attacks on other children. Now he just wails if anyone else so much as bumps into him. Sigh.

#18 of 112 Old 09-08-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglyn View Post
My three year old is getting better but for awhile I couldnt take him anywhere because of his unprovoked attacks on other children.
Yes, this is exactly what has been going on with my almost three year old. He is getting much better with not hurting other kids, but he still does it. And he still hits/hurts us. This is what I have the hardest part with in public - the judgment from adults when he does hit someone (whether it is me or another child).

#19 of 112 Old 09-08-2008, 11:44 PM

I have been reading along and laughing out loud. Literally. I have an intensely spirited 5.5 yr old, a mellow as they come 3 year old and a husband who is equally matched to my 5.5 year old.

Why does everything and I do mean everything have to be so hard? Bedtime - either we don't do anything from about 3 pm until bedtime at 730 or we fight tooth and nail. I loose it occasionally, and then it is 1000 times worse.

I sometimes fear that my child #2 is getting the short end of the stick because we spend.so.much.time and effort with #1.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#20 of 112 Old 09-09-2008, 08:11 PM

My mom thinks my three year old acts out because he doesnt get enough attention as he isnt the oldest or the youngest or the only girl.... but i dont think thats it.

When he is allwound up,he cant hear us, I mean, he may hear sounds coming out of our mouths, but you knowwhat I mean!

#21 of 112 Old 09-10-2008, 05:11 PM

My six-year-old is Spirited and I'm not completely sure about his 3-year-old brother, mainly because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post
I sometimes fear that my child #2 is getting the short end of the stick because we spend.so.much.time and effort with #1.
I've been fortunate to have a playgroup since DS #1's birth filled with women who in addition to knowing him his whole life, also understand my challenges with him and are forgiving of any incidents that are ugly. However, now that they are in 1st grade and only two of the 6 of us are homeschooling, we don't get together much anymore and I'm desperately seeking parents of other spirited kids for my own friendship as well as for DS.

Most days I feel like we've finally reached a place where we (DH and I) can honor DS's nature and temperament and things are smooth and fun and happy, but then we'll have an AWFUL day where I lose it and say crappy things and I wonder how in the hell I'll survive motherhood and how he'll possibly turn out okay having ME as his parent. I'm not so good with the self-care and getting myself a break, obviously, and when I do get a clue and do those things it certainly makes it easier around here.

Thank you for starting this; I look forward to hearing more from the rest of you.
#22 of 112 Old 09-10-2008, 05:18 PM

I think my dd1 may be a spirited child but am not sure....are there any signs I can look for or book you could recommend? If she is spirited, I would like to know how to raise her properly without destroying her spirit kwim?
Thanks
#23 of 112 Old 09-11-2008, 09:34 AM

My 2 year old DS is definitely spirited. High energy, loud, extremely needy, very sensitive.

Shopping is hard for us too. DS has left sour cream, orange juice, you name it strewn across the grocery store floor. I have to pack my shopping cart so that nothing is within reach because he finds it amusing to throw things. But of course, this is if he is willing to calmly sit in the cart. Normally, he is not and there is no strap or childproofing that has been made to hold my little Houdini. He has skydived from a grocery cart twice. The first time a stranger caught him and the second time, I caught him. Now, I try to only shop with DH or leave DS home with DH while I shop. If I have to go to the store with DS alone, I try to keep it as short as possible and bring lots of snacks.

Neeka - mom to DS-4 and wife to computer fanatic DH
#24 of 112 Old 09-12-2008, 04:50 AM

S&E, we should start a local spirited kids' playgroup! That way when one of them acts in that manner the other moms will be only sympathetic.

Grey is definitely spirited. He has a strong will and is so determined. He cannot be swayed or distracted!
I love this when it comes to trying new things or figuring something out but when his will begins to clash with mine it can be so irritating and occasionally infuriating.

Things that help him are making sure he gets at least a good hour of physical activity in the morning before we go anywhere, feeding him before we go anywhere and bringing a snack, and making sure he's well rested.

I also try to help him redirect his aggressiveness into other things like giving mommy a high five instead of pile driving his sister.

I will come back and add more thoughts later but I really should be in bed now! I have a big day tomorrow.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#25 of 112 Old 09-12-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicalynne View Post
I think my dd1 may be a spirited child but am not sure....are there any signs I can look for or book you could recommend? If she is spirited, I would like to know how to raise her properly without destroying her spirit kwim?
Thanks

book

Reading the book Raising your spirited child changed my life.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#26 of 112 Old 09-12-2008, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh mine definitely., It's downright embarrassing taking him anywhere. He fixates on stuff and when he doesn't get his way.... look out. Most of the people that I know call him spoiled when the fact is he's anything but. They don't seem to understand why let him "get his way" Like he won't sit in the shopping cart at the store, he usually insists on walking but one day he wanted me to carry him. Well here I am pushing a cart with one hand and have a toddler over my shoulder with the other. They say "I would have made him walk" Umm, what am I suppose to do? Have him stand there and scream at the top of his lungs for an hour? Because that is precisely what he would have done. I'm hoping that when he's older he'll calm down and that a lot of this is just your typical 3 yeasr old behavior. I remember DS1 was pretty hard at 3 but never this hard.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#27 of 112 Old 09-12-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
S&E, we should start a local spirited kids' playgroup! That way when one of them acts in that manner the other moms will be only sympathetic.
I think I would still have a hard time with it : but I'd be willing to give it a try. Allison is much more willing than I am, which is funny considering her social anxiety is much more intense than mine.

#28 of 112 Old 09-12-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:

book

Thank you I will look for it today
#29 of 112 Old 09-12-2008, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

book

ABsolutely!!!! Totally agree with this. I don't know how things would have gone if I hadn't found this book.

My spirited one is now 13. I didn't understand he was different until I had a second child. Then thought 'hey wait a minute, this child is just like the books say she should be, so what does that mean about my firstborn?' He was 3 then. Finding that book was a godsend.

My 3rd is a mixture--kind of feisty but not spirited.

Have much to share but need to go!

#30 of 112 Old 09-12-2008, 08:48 PM

When my oldest was two, I found the book Raising Your Spirited Child and was sure she'd written it about him. While he has calmed down since then, he is definately still a spirited guy.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page