Moms of winter babies, do you do "half" birthday parties in the summer? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Would you go to a "half" party in the summer for a child born in the winter?
Yes I would. 35 100.00%
No I wouldn't. 82 100.00%
I think it's a neat idea. 25 100.00%
I think it's a bad idea. 30 100.00%
Other (please elaborate) 11 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 10-07-2008, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I probably wouldn't go, because I'd probably see the invite and go, "What the heck? One birthday party/present wasn't enough?"
So unless you could somehow make clear that it was in place of a different birthday party....
#62 of 69 Old 10-07-2008, 07:49 PM

I would probably go to one if that was when the family was celebrating their child's birthday. I wouldn't have one, though. I have a winter birthday myself (November 23) and Lem has a winter birthday (January 1). I never really had a problem with celebrating my birthday in the winter. We never had huge parties, but I got together with family and a couple of friends. I feel like in the summer you could still have a get together for the children, maybe an end of school year party, that way your children still get to have a largeish party for their friends at school that might not be able to make the winter birthday parties.

Take care,
El
#63 of 69 Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 PM

I'm not a mama yet but I'm a life long half-birthday celebrator!!! My birthday is in June which puts my half-birthday on Christmas Eve. My family has always celebrated it. Everyone in my family gets a gift (usually Christmas pajamas). My soon to be dp's birthday is in December and we celebrated his half birthday by going out for dinner in June.

I think celebration is fantastic. Since it isn't a call for gifts but a time to get together and have a good time I'd say go for it! Half birthdays are great! Celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday, Winnie the Pooh's, "un"birthdays, pets' birthdays, and whatever else you can come up with!!!

Celebrate good times, c'mon!

Jenne

joy.gifOur joy is born!  joy.gif
            02/11/2011   

#64 of 69 Old 10-07-2008, 09:32 PM

DDs bday is Dec 7th and after her 1st bday we're planning on having her party on her half birthday. I married into a big family with at least 2 Thanksgiving dinners and 7 Christmas get togethers we're expected to be at. Plus we live in Wisconsin and have some nasty winter weather as well. We'll celebrate DDs real bday with just the 4 of us and a cake and our gifts to her and then we'll have a party at a park or outside early June and invite all the family. We've been talking about this since I had a EDD of Dec 25th and the family is okay with it.
#65 of 69 Old 10-08-2008, 12:36 AM

My ds is end of Jan, so crapola weather, but no holiday issues (a month after is a long time to a kiddo!). Our neighbor's kid is Dec. 23 and no one EVER has time for a b'day party. They do one in the summer, and nothing for friends at the time of her b'day. They have a family celebration, which she doesn't get twice, but she only has one party for her friends (ie: when you go to her party, that's when you bring the gift, kwim?).

I think it's really up to you to decide - I like that they have the party when more people are around to participate, and that it's less of a stress on the parents of the kids invited, but I would NOT have two parties, it just seems too much for any kid. I voted I wouldn't do it because in general I think it's hugely kowtowing to the western idea/ego of self as so important, the whole b'day thing (and I buy into it myself, I'm not at all judging here), but to put it off 6 mos just for convienence seems too much to me.

That said, my best best best friend ever in the whole wide world has had at least three parties for her dd every single year for the past decade. Parties that included overnights in Manhattan with plays and dinner out at funky restaurants, Japanese restaurant and sleepover for FOURTEEN children, one year a Dora themed party (obviously they were small) for thirty three children. No kidding. So obviously we have grossly divergent ideas of what's appropriate, and she's still my best bud. Don't even get me started on goodie bags!

Mama to B and O , wife to J and me to me! :
#66 of 69 Old 10-08-2008, 09:48 PM

No, but I wouldn't be opposed to going to one. I love parties. DD is a January baby, but we live in Southern California, so weather is usually not an issue. My birthday is only a week before Christmas, so sometimes my mom would have the party earlier in December, but never in the summer.
#67 of 69 Old 10-08-2008, 10:21 PM

I wouldn't host a 1/2 birthday party.

You could say that summer birthdays are hard on school kids because they don't get to have cupcakes in class etc. And their friends are all on vacation/summer camp.

You could say spring birthdays are hard because the weather is iffy.

ANd fall birthdays are hard because the weather is iffy......

And anyone born on or around any holiday would need a half birthday party...

What I would do is to host a summer BBQ. No mention of it being a birthday, just invite all the children's friends over for some summer fun.
#68 of 69 Old 10-10-2008, 04:47 AM

Yes, ofcourse I would go. If a person I cared for wanted to celebrate their/their childs halfbirthday, then why on earth shouldn`t I attend?

But I truly don`t understand WHY a winterbirthday needs to be celebrated in summer?? I am Norwegian, living in Norway. Can`t get much more winter than that. And I have NEVER heard of people postponing birthdays until summer because people wouldn`t show up during winter? What`s so bad about going out during winter? It`s not dangerous to travel unless it`s a storm or something, I mean.

I mean, if we here in Norway should stop going out/traveling/doing stuff outside during winter, we would be locket up inside for over 6 months a year.

Ofcourse, I totally get it if their birthday is Christmas Eve or something, but that`s another thing.

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#69 of 69 Old 10-10-2008, 11:03 AM

That's funny... I live in Toronto and I've heard of SUMMER kids having half-birthdays so they can celebrate at school.

Anyways, I'd go.

I don't think I'd necessarily have one. I'm a Jan baby and don't remember being upset about my birthday. We had indoor pool parties at the community centre, bowling, and mostly at our house. BUT maybe a different child or family would be. That's fine.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page