WWYD...Head LICE!!! And Social Issues - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2008, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The idea of the olive oil (or mayonaise, conditioner, etc) isn't that it out right kills them like the poison in the insecticide shampoo. The idea is that the bugs drown in the oil. Supposedly they can only hold their breath for 4 hours.

Since the treatment is harmless to humans, it can be repeated more frequently than the every 8 days and can be left on longer than 4 hours. With toxic shampoos one wants to follow the 8 day rule carefully to avoid over exposure, but one can do oil treatments every night for weeks if they want to. Many people leave the oil treatment on over night while sleeping.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2008, 04:14 PM

OK so what I did last night was oil my hair and my kids, dh doesn't have any , then wrapped the head in clingfilm and clipped tight with barettes, put towels over the pillows and fine combed the kids and then myself this morning (although I have short hair - thanks to my son but that's another thread completely) do I therefore have to repeat the process again tonight, I'm thinking I'm just going to get some rosemary oil, mix with sweet almond oil and put it in our hair for a week - I'll still nit comb (but it takes HOURS with my dd - 5 hours this morning poor thing) I can't imagine doing that every night for 8 days!!!

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
Old 09-27-2008, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
The main reason for smothering them again in 8 days, is that I think a nit hatches within about 6 days of being laid (but isn't mature enough to lay eggs 'til about 21 days old) -- so if you smother all the live bugs, no more nits can get laid, so you wait 8 days for all the remaining nits to hatch, then smother all those new bugs -- and then there should be nothing left.

But we did always combine the oil with nit-combing.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
Old 09-27-2008, 04:34 PM

I had no idea that lice were so common. I've never had them, nor did any of my brothers or childhood friends. My mom says she got lice once from a girl in grade school who sat at the desk in front of hers; she would flip her hair back all the time, smacking my mom in the face.

Then again, I was raised Muslim and the girls generally wore little head scarves. I wonder if lice spread faster in longer hair, too?
Old 09-27-2008, 04:49 PM

Oh yeah I think we can trace dd's neurotic excoriation (picking her head) straight back to those "just bugs." She's 15 and has not had them since she was 6 and when she is anxious Guess what she does? That was probably the only time she ever had unbearable anxiety. When she found out lice were bugs on her head.

It's hard not to panic when your head is teeming with them. I know cuz I was trying really hard not to freak out and pick them off of her. Cuz yeah I'm the mom and it's a dirty job but somebody's got to do it.

I'd rather go thru the "Major Task" we had the resistant kind and I'm telling you just combing the the nits out HAHA. No you don't just pluck them off and they are gone. It's VERY hard to get all the little buggers once and for all. Or atleast the strain of them that we had. If you've had them and got rid of them fairly easily good for you count yourself lucky, but if you've had the resistant kind...yeah it's a major PITA but you don't complain cuz it's worth it not to have a head full of 'em.

I think it's both the stigma and the alternative view that they are no big deal that causes ppl to let their kids play with other kids and share head gear and spread them.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewe+lamb View Post
This is completely OT and tell me to start another thread if you wish but can you tell me that if we shouldn't be using tto for our kids, can we use rosemary oil as a prevention as I would have with tto (i.e. a couple of drops in shampoo or in a spray oil to put in hair)? Yes we've just got them ... again ... and I find 4-5 hours of combing just impossible for a 6 year old with long curly fine hair which these little creatures love, do you do the combing even after putting oil in the hair overnight?

On a social issue if you know a child at school is not being treated, the parents do not collect/take to and from school would you inform the school saying that the child is infested (she really is) poor thing, and she really is a lovely child I and my kids like her very much but it's just not fair on everyone if she is continually infecting everyone else - it's getting to be a bit of a dilemma for us.
It is my understanding that there are several oils that will repel them, but tto and lavender have been linked to hormonal disturbance, so you can use the others.

peppermint, neem, eucalyptus, rosemary and I think I saw citronella mentioned on one site, but it was mixed with some of the other oils.

for intuitive readings click here :
Old 09-27-2008, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labbemama View Post
I think it's both the stigma and the alternative view that they are no big deal that causes ppl to let their kids play with other kids and share head gear and spread them.
Well, at least I don't think anyone on this thread has said lice is "no big deal." Everyone seems to be in favor of dealing with them swiftly and proactively.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:20 AM

http://www.licebusters.ca/

And there are companies that will come to your house and can do each person in about half an hour - we had them come here for a foster child once, after dfd got them from visits home at least once a month for 5 months. It was awesome. I think it was these people http://www.licesquad.com
Old 09-28-2008, 05:14 AM

Labbemama, we're not arguing that they're no big deal. We're actually just arguing for an evidence-based approach to lice, focusing upon early detection, rigorous combing, the use of insecticides both natural and chemical as desired, and sod all panic. I feel for your daughter- I have trichotillomania and have done since I was a child (I'm sure I had lice at least once, don't remember any trauma) and the Big Infestation freaked me out.
hsofia, I think it's easier for lice to walk from long hair to long hair. I had them down biting my shoulders when my adorable children brought them home to me, so that would definitely be a risk for transmission.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:22 AM

Yeah - tie long hair back - that's what we've always been told with dds hair - but she really loves to have it untied and long so that she can feel it down her back so we tend to do it only on school days, and in the holidays leave it loose anyway I'm off to do more combing!!

Old 09-28-2008, 06:24 AM

I am thankful that I never had them growing up since I had very thick very curly hair and getting them out would be nearly impossible.

My mom had them as a child and back then if you had lice you where shunned and always carried that "dirty person" stigma from then on so I was raised that way as well.

Apparently they are going around dd's school but so far no note has been sent home. Actually in the 3yrs dd has been going to school I have never gotten a lice note. : (no pun intended)

Dh is the one that told me they were in dd's school because a foster child staying with the paster had them and they cut her hair off he asked me how cutting the hair killed the lice and I had to explain to him that it didnt just made it easier to get them out.

I wouldnt have a problem shaving ds if he got them but there is no way I would ever cut dd's hair.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 09-28-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I am thankful that I never had them growing up since I had very thick very curly hair and getting them out would be nearly impossible.
That's not true- you can get rid of headlice no matter how thick or curly your hair is. Truly, perserverance is key.

ANd olive oil is useless, imo. I've tried mayonaise as well. As my DD says so succinctly, 'My head smells like salad dressing & I still itch!'.

Head lice are a pita, & can be a big deal, but it is so not worth social exclusion. Once you have combed your kid's hair, they are not 'contagious' for at least a day, even if they still have eggs attached to the hair shaft.

Crikey, did anyone even read the links I posted to concrete scientific research on head lice control??? Yes, concrete research, & not sponsored by some shampoo corporation either.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

Old 09-28-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post
Or, to avoid the nit-combing -- how about keeping the hair oiled for the full 8 days?
A woman my dh works with told him a lot of people here spray skin so soft bath oil spray into their hair (it's a nasty oil from Avon) to prevent the from jumping on board. It smells just like bug spray to me, but I don't know if it's the odor or the oil that repels them. I wondered why I smelled that nasty cr@p everywhere I went. Snopes says it doesn't work as an insect repellent, so it must be the oil that keeps the lice off.

At any rate, oiling the hair seems to work. Is there a way to get a less stinky oil into some sort of atomizer?

for intuitive readings click here :
Old 09-28-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post
Actually in the 3yrs dd has been going to school I have never gotten a lice note. : (no pun intended)
:

Old 09-28-2008, 05:51 PM

Lice have little claws for feet that cling onto the hair of their host, when oil is on the hair it makes it much harder for the lice to get a good grip!

Old 09-28-2008, 05:52 PM

Slip slidin' away ...

Old 09-28-2008, 05:54 PM

The more you near your infestination, the more you're slip slidin' away ...

Old 12-27-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grniys View Post
Honestly, after having lice as a kid and being nearly traumatized over it (at my school it was considered the equivalent of leprosy).
omg I just found this thread and :

Clearly, after reading some of these responses, it still is the equivalent of leprosy. :
Old 12-27-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfam View Post
We really want DS to be able to play with the neighbor kids...they are great and their parents are really nice. but we can't keep getting lice and it seems like they are not able to get rid of the lice. I would love to help them resolve the problem but I can't think of how I could do that tactfully.
I just don;t know what to do...hoping some of you have BTDB with the lice thing and can offer some advice for how to deal with the neighbor kids.
I am so frustrated because the family is really great and our kids LOVE playing together.
Maybe they're just using the medicated creams when they could be doing a full blown assault?

When we even suspected we were exposed we oiled everyone's hair, washed EVERYTHING, cleaned the furniture, the whole bit. We didn't end up even getting lice but wanted to do something fast...here's a link to some natural lice removal methods:

http://www.wikihow.com/Kill-Head-Lice-Naturally

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2008, 03:37 PM

Someone needs to comb this thread twice a day with a metal fine toothed comb, keep an eye on it then leave it alone. Do not add chemicals to it, do not wash all the other threads around it but do put all thoughts of disgust out of its head.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post
The more you near your infestination, the more you're slip slidin' away ...
laughup so funny!

~Manessa mama to one teenageer, one tweenager, and a toddler

Old 12-27-2008, 04:16 PM

No time to read all of these replies, but we had them a few years back and got rid of them by mixing tto with olive oil. I saturated my daughter's head in it. Left it on an hour or so and washed. One treatment was all it took.

User Tag List