Boys in baby legs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 60 Old 09-18-2008, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi everyone - i have an odd question. my 2 yo son wears babylegs (the skull and crossbones) and sometimes other parents ask me how my husband "feels" about his son in leg warmers. this has happened a few times and i try to explain the function of them, but maybe people just don't get it?

Does anyone else get questions about boys wearing them? Or is it just me? Thanks!
#2 of 60 Old 09-18-2008, 07:20 PM

My son wore them when he was younger. I would tell people to just mind their own business or something like "Um, my husband likes his legs to be warm, end of story."

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#3 of 60 Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 PM

I would just correct them on what they are used for and move on. Its really none of their business....

Baby Boy due in Early March!
#4 of 60 Old 09-18-2008, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

i just think its so weird that people even bother to ask. they'd never ask my friend about her little girl wearing them unless to find out where they buy them.

i'm almost tempted to go all out and put the rainbow ones on him - that would really give people something to talk about.
#5 of 60 Old 09-18-2008, 08:13 PM

We had a friend comment that we could take pics of DS in his and then use them as bribery when he was in highschool

I think he was trying to say that it is "Gay" to put legwarmers on my boy...or some stupid thing like that. It is So WEIRD!!! It is just clothing, and I don't understand WHAT is feminine about leg warmers anyway.

When DS#2 was a newborn my Mom came over and we had him wrapped in a pink blanket. My Mom couldn't believe it. She kept telling DS #1 that the baby should be in a blue blanket because he is a boy. It was a very nice warm blanket...so WHAT if it was pink?

We definitely push the bar around here.

The whole thing is so silly. Like only girls should like pink, purple, butterflies, flowers, hearts, rainbows, wearing sunhats, dresses, skirts, leg warmers...I know I am forgetting some!!
#6 of 60 Old 09-18-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinmama1 View Post

i'm almost tempted to go all out and put the rainbow ones on him - that would really give people something to talk about.
My DS #2 HAS vintage RAinbow Leg Warmers that totally work like baby legs. We have gotten comments. I believe one was "Gay Pride Baby"
silly silly silly
#7 of 60 Old 09-18-2008, 09:21 PM

My DS still wears his baby legs at 2. DH likes them adn actually prefers them to pants since DS doesnt' fight us to put them on. he HATES pants. People always comment on how cute they are but never made wierd comments about them.
#8 of 60 Old 09-18-2008, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I *did*! I thought it was adorable.

Katherine

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#9 of 60 Old 09-18-2008, 09:31 PM

someone made a comment to my hubby about our son wearing the rainbow ones when he was only like 3 months old! but people seem to the think the cow print ones are cute.

Mama to 3 year old DS and awaiting #2 in June
#10 of 60 Old 09-18-2008, 10:44 PM

People are so weird. It so sad that society is so anxious to burden our children.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#11 of 60 Old 09-18-2008, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We have a pink, dark pink, and cream striped pair that I fully intend to use on a boy, should this little one come out with male genitalia. We also have the blue and lime green vine pair, but I think those might be more socially accepted as "boy". Maybe not though. People in my town are going to have strokes, and I am very excited! Is that bad? People here get all riled up if you suggest a pale blue snowsuit for a little girl (too boyish), and don't even try suggesting that a boy wear that same pale blue colour (it's far, far too girly). Go figure.
If your kid likes them, and your DH doesn't have an issue...

For greater things are yet to come...

#12 of 60 Old 09-18-2008, 11:00 PM

Well I am not huge fans of them anyway, and would never put my boys in them, but I wouldnt think it was strange to see boys in them.
#13 of 60 Old 09-18-2008, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkat View Post
People here get all riled up if you suggest a pale blue snowsuit for a little girl (too boyish), and don't even try suggesting that a boy wear that same pale blue colour (it's far, far too girly).

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#14 of 60 Old 09-18-2008, 11:22 PM

I have rainbow baby legs for my baby boy because they are sooo cute! I keep expecting someone to make a comment but no one has yet. If someone asked me how my husband feels about them I would probably say "Great! He's hoping I'll find a pair in his size for Christmas!" and give a big cheesy grin.
#15 of 60 Old 09-18-2008, 11:24 PM

well, I AM one of those people who thinks pink for girls, blue for boys, etc. but i have a little boy and i wanted babylegs and never once thought that they were gender specific in any way.
#16 of 60 Old 09-18-2008, 11:52 PM

The majority of outfits you put little boys in are hardly what I'd call macho...BabyLegs are just footless socks. I don't see the big deal.
#17 of 60 Old 09-19-2008, 01:48 AM

My Dh would wear them if they came in his size. They're socks without feet. Now, rugby players and soccer players wear knee socks, does that make them girly? We currently don't know what we're having, but living in New England, the winters get cold. We have a stack of tights waiting for this baby--boy or girl. They were my Dh's suggestion to put under baby pants for extra warmth or to just wear them alone.
#18 of 60 Old 09-19-2008, 02:23 AM

i put my ds in the ALL the time, i think he has only worn pants twice. i think at firsr dh was a little uncomfortable w/ ds wearing them, particularly the rainbow ones- but he is over it now and i get compliments on them all the time here- maybe it's the area we live in, but everyone seems to like them here

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...40/t_=57328040

#19 of 60 Old 09-19-2008, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfam View Post
and I don't understand WHAT is feminine about leg warmers anyway.
I don't either, especially b/c when I think of a man in leg warmers, I think of Baryshnikov, and if you go a'googling you'll find a pic of him with leg warmers and he sure doesn't look feminine to me.
#20 of 60 Old 09-19-2008, 03:20 AM

We have a variety of colors for our son's babylegs and we love them.
And yes, there are comments here and there but when all is said and done, it keeps my son's legs warm and made for super easy diaper changes.
#21 of 60 Old 09-19-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkybean View Post
I don't either, especially b/c when I think of a man in leg warmers, I think of Baryshnikov, and if you go a'googling you'll find a pic of him with leg warmers and he sure doesn't look feminine to me.
Hot. Wow.

Anyways - 3 year old wears them, 8 month old wears them. Both boys. All sorts of rainbow and pink yadda. Never a comment, I'm pretty sure I scare folks away.
#22 of 60 Old 09-19-2008, 09:12 AM

Wyatt wears them quite often and we have never received rude comments about them.
#23 of 60 Old 09-19-2008, 09:14 AM

Ds wore them when he was a little younger...I never recieved one off comment...sorry you had to listen to those.

However....my dh HATED them, LOL....and thought they were "girly."
#24 of 60 Old 09-19-2008, 01:43 PM

DS has two pairs, and I never thought of them as "for girls." The only person who's ever commented on them negatively was my mom, who thinks they're, "stupid-looking," but she thinks they're equally "stupid" on DS and DD2, so it's not a gender thing. Granted, DS's are the black ones with skull and crossbones, and a pair of army green and khaki stripes, which are both typically "boy" patterns.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#25 of 60 Old 09-19-2008, 02:39 PM

My ds wears them, and some of the are pink and have zebra print hearts. He also wears tights and barretts. When people say anything we say, "we are actively trying to make him gay." that usually shuts them up (and its no lie)

Also if they ask you what DH thinks of them say "who said there was a dh?"
#26 of 60 Old 09-19-2008, 02:54 PM

If leg warmers make you "gay" then I guess hockey players are gay.

6 yo ds is a hockey player. He wears hockey socks over his shin guard/knee pads. Hockey socks are big leg warmers that my dh tapes down so thy don't slide during play.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#27 of 60 Old 09-19-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post
My ds wears them, and some of the are pink and have zebra print hearts. He also wears tights and barretts. When people say anything we say, "we are actively trying to make him gay." that usually shuts them up (and its no lie)

Also if they ask you what DH thinks of them say "who said there was a dh?"
Solely out of curiosity, not trying to be mean AT ALL, but what, exactly, isn't a lie?

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#28 of 60 Old 09-19-2008, 04:33 PM

We have the rainbow baby legs for ds too!

I have some socks from sock dreams that match them.

http://www.sockdreams.com/_shop/page...ductID_289.php

Not all those who wander are lost 
#29 of 60 Old 09-19-2008, 05:08 PM

my hubby's not a big fan of them (no idea about other ppl) but i use them anyway. i like using them under pants in winter the best b/c then the little one's legs don't get cold between the sock and pant leg DH doesn't mind that but when i just wear them with a diaper, i don't think he loves them. it's just at home so it's not biggie.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#30 of 60 Old 09-19-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
i just think its so weird that people even bother to ask. they'd never ask my friend about her little girl wearing them unless to find out where they buy them.

Hee. We didn't have any baby legs for our 3 yo DS but a friend of mine gave me some for the babe we're expecting. Rainbow ones. For our boy baby. I can't wait to see him in them, along with the little tie dyes, some of which are pink! LOL

We definitely get attitude for pushing boundaries. DS has long blonde hair, he drinks from pink cups, his fave colors were pink and purple until last month when he decided green is the next big thing. I will never understand the hang ups people have about this stuff.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page