Scary, "OMG I can't BELIEVE they did THAT!" parenting moments - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 96 Old 09-25-2008, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
During our move a few weeks ago, we had our first big one. During all the commotion and hubbub, every exterior door to the house was left standing wide open. I needed to change the baby. DH and my Grandpa had left with a truckload of stuff, so it was just me and my dad. Well, a few minutes goes by and I say "Where are the boys?" We search the house, and the backyard. Not there. My dad runs to the street, and finds my 26 month old and my 3yo walking down the sidewalk, holding hands.

They made it just past the neighbor's house.

I just about died. (And boy am I glad to have a totally fenced backyard now.)
#2 of 96 Old 09-25-2008, 11:36 PM

We had just brought dd home from the hosptial, so she was probably at most 5 days old. We were eating at some fast food resturant, and I get up to go to the bathroom after I've eaten, leaving dh with the baby.

He meets me at the exit. But he completely forgot about the baby! She was sleeping in the booth.
#3 of 96 Old 09-25-2008, 11:36 PM

The other day I removed the lock on my 3 year old's window so I could open it up and get some fresh air into his bedroom. He was watching Super Why in the living room at the time so it seemed safe.

A little while later I hear him yelling hello to the neighbours and go into his room to find him kneeling on his windowsill and leaning out of his wide-open window 15 feet above our cement driveway. I almost had a heart attack, I had forgotten all about the open window.
#4 of 96 Old 09-25-2008, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
A couple of weeks ago I put the kids in their carseats and was doing almost 70 on the freeway when my DS said, "Mom, I'm not buckled in." I had opened his door to let him climb into his seat, gone around to the other side to put DD in, and then just gotten in my seat without buckling DS in!!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#5 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 12:05 AM

when i was like 7 my mom pulled up in the car to one of those po drop boxes ( the big blue ones lol) and it was kinda on a hill, so anyhow when she pulled up she stuck the letter out of the window and somehow the wind caught it lol. well she had had the door partway open anyhow so she just jumped outa the car and grabbed the letter really quick... we started rolling. ( before you freak out it was only a few feet.) :P she jumped into the car as fast as she could and slammed on the break. my two year old lil brother was like mommy we drive!!!!!!!! lol. its not as funny now i think about it but its a wth? kinda moment lmbo.
#6 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
A couple of weeks ago I put the kids in their carseats and was doing almost 70 on the freeway when my DS said, "Mom, I'm not buckled in." I had opened his door to let him climb into his seat, gone around to the other side to put DD in, and then just gotten in my seat without buckling DS in!!
I've done that. Even worse, I've driven around all over the place, only to find upon our return home that someone had unbuckled the carseat. So my ds was buckled in, but the carseat was just loose in the back.

But the worst was when I didn't tie the gate up tight enough and found my ds standing behind my horse playing with her tail. She's very gentle (obviously), but he was so little at the time I doubt she even knew he was there.

Mommy to kids

#7 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 02:14 AM

using the bread knife to help herself to a piece of banana bread.

I have a piece while she's napping and forget to put the pan away.

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#8 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 02:22 AM

Dd learned to ride her two-wheel bike this summer (no training wheels). We live on a hill, that ends in a T intersection.

About a week after she learned to ride (and about a week before she really learned to use the BRAKES) I'm down at the bottom of the hill, watching ds learn to roller skate. I look up and dd is barreling down the hill, full speed. AND she has her feet off the pedals (i.e. brakes) and up and resting on the crossbar of the bike.

I yelled STOP so loudly that ALL 8 kids playing on the street and a few adults froze in their tracks.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#9 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 02:25 AM

Upon reflection, so far my kids' escapades don't hold a candle to what some of my siblings did:

My 3 sisters (all born within 4 years) used to get up, put on their outdoor clothes and go WANDER the neighborhood when they were about 3, 4 1/2 and 6.

My brother, when he was 12, got together with a friend of his. The friend stole his mom's car keys, and the 2 kids would DRIVE his mom's car to deliver their morning paper route. Two 12 year old boys, driving around at 5:30 am. ACK!

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#10 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 02:39 AM

I left my 2-3 months DS in his carseat in 34 celsius weather, windows up, no thought in my head at all about him. I just got his sister out of the car and was heading into the church for a function when a friend said "oh look how cute he is!" He could have had heat stroke/died in minutes.

Another time DD runs to me saying DS was on the stove (now 2) turning the dials as he was standing/sitting on the burners!! AWFUL....

Do I dare submit this?
#11 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 07:01 AM

I was stringing Christmas lights last year on the outside and I heard the front gate open and shut and when I wnet and checked I didn't see anyone so I went inside calling for the middle two critters.I couldn't find them.I looked upstairs and then came back down and went out front twice, still couldn't find them.I finally went down the street a little ways and saw a lady who had gotten out of her car trying to herd them in my direction.They were still in diapers because they were supposed to be sleeping.They were giggling away holding hands.
It seems that I always forget to finish buckling in somebody since they demanded to buckle thier own top buckle.I need a stickie note on the dash.
My youngest always seems to be heading toward some kind of disaster or another and he has sampled several kinds of poo so we can never go coverless here.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#12 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter was five, my son was about 12 hours old. We got ourselves out of the hospital where he was born and stopped for post-partum stuff for me on the way home.

It was February and cold, so DS was in an adorable, and very well padded, baby snowsuit. Dh insisted on carrying him into the house, telling me to sit down and get comfortable as he unloaded the rest of the stuff. I did but then went into the kitchen and saw he had put the baby on the kitchen table along with the other couple of bags he had in his hand. He was right there, and I remember thinking "OK this seems a little cavalier, but it is his baby, too, and I am not going to start a fight over this 5 seconds after we bring DS home. Ds is asleep, he is not going to roll anywhere in that bunting, he is in the middle of the table...."

I went in the other room, sat down, and then my new mom instincts kicked in and I went back into the kitchen to get the baby. Baby was gone!!! DH didn't know where he was!!!!

Minute of panic searching, and then we found that DD had her newborn brother in her room. She'd scooped him up off the table and carried him off to her room to play Barbies with her....: (I can laugh about it now) It was the start of a great relationship between them, anyway!

Thank God he was so well padded in that bunting!
#13 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
My daughter was five, my son was about 12 hours old. We got ourselves out of the hospital where he was born and stopped for post-partum stuff for me on the way home.

It was February and cold, so DS was in an adorable, and very well padded, baby snowsuit. Dh insisted on carrying him into the house, telling me to sit down and get comfortable as he unloaded the rest of the stuff. I did but then went into the kitchen and saw he had put the baby on the kitchen table along with the other couple of bags he had in his hand. He was right there, and I remember thinking "OK this seems a little cavalier, but it is his baby, too, and I am not going to start a fight over this 5 seconds after we bring DS home. Ds is asleep, he is not going to roll anywhere in that bunting, he is in the middle of the table...."

I went in the other room, sat down, and then my new mom instincts kicked in and I went back into the kitchen to get the baby. Baby was gone!!! DH didn't know where he was!!!!

Minute of panic searching, and then we found that DD had her newborn brother in her room. She'd scooped him up off the table and carried him off to her room to play Barbies with her....: (I can laugh about it now) It was the start of a great relationship between them, anyway!

Thank God he was so well padded in that bunting!
omg just reading that gave me a heart attack!!! but a cute story for when they're older

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#14 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 10:31 AM

I did the car seat straps forget when my son was about 9 months old.

But the scariest moment I've had so far was that when he was about 18 months old I went to the bathroom and he wandered out into the living room and I thought, ok. When I came out he was on top of the upright piano - he had climbed from the couch to the bench onto the keys, put his foot on the side I guess, and then got up on top. He was overjoyed he could reach the ceiling...

!!

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#15 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 11:44 AM

I've also done the forgot to buckle dd1. My daughters luckily haven't done anything too bad yet, dd1 did cut her own hair with a pair of safety scissors right after playgroup a couple months ago. But the ultimate scare, my friends dd(4) almost hung herself, literally. Her and her little brother were playing superheros and somehow she got up on the windowsill and tied a silky curtain around her neck and jumped off to "fly" and she could have hung. She wasn't heavy enough to pull the curtain rod down and just stuck there. OMG!! As you can imagine, her mom almost had a heart attack and was so upset for weeks after. Still gives me goosebumps!

Mama to three wonderful girls, H (9-2-04), A (8-23-07), and Q(4-24-11, our Easter baby). Married to D since (6-3-00).

#16 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 12:56 PM

I've also forgotten to buckle my daughter on one occasion. We were driving down a particularly nasty stretch of highway when all of a sudden something that felt like a little hand touched my shoulder, followed by the rest of a little person jumping on me in the front seat. My husband pulled over to the shoulder ASAP and I buckled her back in immediately. We both felt awful about this!
#17 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 01:23 PM

DH has forgotten to buckle too.

We lived in NJ for a while, nice little brick house with finished basement. One day our DC ages 2 & 3 went down to the basement to play in the playroom. DH and I were upstairs with the door open getting some nice Spring air. I heard some children outside and thought this is nice, the first time I've heard children playing outside since we moved here. Well I go to look outside and 3 yr old DD is calling to 2 yr old DS. They went through the garage and through the backyard and were on their way down the street

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#18 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
My 3 sisters (all born within 4 years) used to get up, put on their outdoor clothes and go WANDER the neighborhood when they were about 3, 4 1/2 and 6.

My brother, when he was 12, got together with a friend of his. The friend stole his mom's car keys, and the 2 kids would DRIVE his mom's car to deliver their morning paper route. Two 12 year old boys, driving around at 5:30 am. ACK!
We lived on a Ranch in MT when I was little. One day my brother, cousins & I (ages 3-8) all decided to go on a Wizard of OZ journy! We made it three miles, almost all the way to the highway before a family friend comming to visit picked us up & took us home. Boy did we get in trouble for that!

I live next door to a 12yo who takes her mom's keys & goes joyriding with her friends all the time! Yeah, it scares me.

Elisha; happy, working, mountain/river/music, single mamma to Charlotte hearts.gif 03/16/08.      http://rivermamma.blogspot.com/

#19 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 02:08 PM

DH has a really bad habit of not picking up his broken guitar strings, & the music room is DD's play room. More than once I have caught her picking up one of the pokey little broken ball ends! Scarry!!!

Oh, & the other day I saw something stuck to her face, turned out to be a goat head! (Nast, pokey seed pod/burr kinda things that hurt like heck to step on!)

Elisha; happy, working, mountain/river/music, single mamma to Charlotte hearts.gif 03/16/08.      http://rivermamma.blogspot.com/

#20 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 02:15 PM

When my first child was a few days old, I thought I would try to get things back to normal around the house and do some laundry. I put my dd in a bouncy seat which was on the dining room table. It was the kind that adjusts so you can lay it back for a newborn, kind of like the papasan bouncy seat from fisher price. I didn't think to buckle her in. I went to the basement to throw the clothes in the washer, being gone about a minute. When I came back up to the dining room, dd had scooted down in the seat and her legs were dangling over the edge of the table. One more little, tiny movement and she would have fallen on the floor, from the height of a nromal dining table. I grabbed her just before she fell. I felt soooooo horrible. I almost threw up thinking of what could have happened. After that we only used the bouncy seat on the floor and she was always buckled in.
I also forgot to buckle her in to her carseat once. I drove 20 miles down the highway and didn't even know it. My mom discovered it when i got to her house and she came out to help me out of the car with kids and our stuff. She yelled " Oh my God- you didn't buckle Ava in?!?!? I was so upset with myself!

Jess, married to awesome hubby Tim, mom to DD1 (6-06), DD2 (2/08)
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#21 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 02:22 PM

We had unlatched the booster seat from a chair at the table so we could accompany my sister who was having dinner with us. When we put it back we forgot to latch the booster back on the chair. Yesterday as my 2 year old stood up to get out of her chair and the boosterseat toppled over and she fell onto the wood floor on her head. Thankfully the chair is low to the ground and she has a really hard head. I felt like the worst mom ever.
#22 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've done the carseat thing too and also forgot to put the seatbelt through the back of the carseat after a car change. OOPS!

We went a state park when DD was about 1.5yo. We were parked, gathering our lunch from the back of the car- totally distracted, when we suddenly realized she wasnt next to the car. And then we saw her - STANDING AT THE TOP OF A 15 FT METAL SLIDE! DH took off running but couldn't make it to her in time, she just sat down and just slid down on her butt and then made a very rough landing in the sand below. Thank god she wasnt injured- but then we had to fight her not to go back up there again! Lol. It was terrifying!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#23 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelionkid View Post
Another time DD runs to me saying DS was on the stove (now 2) turning the dials as he was standing/sitting on the burners!! AWFUL....
Yikes! That would have spelled disaster at my house, since we have a gas stove. (actually, a 2 year old probably wouldn't know how to start a gas stove unless someone showed them... remind me to make it a point NOT to teach my son how to use the stove, lol!"

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#24 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 02:26 PM

I haven't had any yet, but my DS is just under a month old. I can't wait, I already feel like mom of the year when I leave him in a wet or dirty dipe too long (he doesn't seem to mind it and won't fuss about his diaper, lol!)

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#25 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post
We did this ALL.THE.TIME. My best friend's mom and dad would go to their hunting camp and leave us alone at home overnight. (and no, 12 year old girls home alone overnight was not unusual where I grew up)

Her mom had a big old buick and we hauled butt around until all hours of the night. During the day too sometimes.

We would drive around for hours then refill the gas from her grandpa's on-site farm fuel tank - driving without a license, unauthorized use of a vehicle, and theft of gas all in an average evening!

While still in his bucket carseat, I drove DS home from daycare unbuckled.

When DS was just three or so weeks old, my mom was at the house and encouraged DH and I to take a walk. When we returned, DS was on the back porch, alone, and my mom is no where to be found.

We live in a small town but still a town with traffic and passerbys on foot.

My mom had gone into the house to get some tea and, by her own admission, "sort of forgot DS was outside." We are talking 5 minutes or so.

DH flipped. Once the whole scene calmed down, we could all say we weren't totally used to having DS with us just yet. No one has forgotten about him since.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#26 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post
We went a state park when DD was about 1.5yo. We were parked, gathering our lunch from the back of the car- totally distracted, when we suddenly realized she wasnt next to the car. And then we saw her - STANDING AT THE TOP OF A 15 FT METAL SLIDE! DH took off running but couldn't make it to her in time, she just sat down and just slid down on her butt and then made a very rough landing in the sand below. Thank god she wasnt injured- but then we had to fight her not to go back up there again! Lol. It was terrifying!
That was me as a kid! I was the monkey of the family. My parents learned pretty quick not to worry too much. I climbed all over everything, trees and rooftops and whatnot, all before so much as starting kindergarten, and was never seriously injured. (I did get stuck in a tree once though, and the fire department had to come get me down!)

#27 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 02:35 PM

DD's carseat is in the middle of my Saturn Vue's back seat. I'm only 5'3" so if I have any kind of injury I have a hard time. DH is 6'4" so I usually have him buckle her in if we're together.

About 6 months or so ago, I tried to buckle her in but I had AF and was crampy. I couldn't do it, so I turned and asked DH to buckle her....and I moved to let him in. He wasn't paying attention and in that second she fell FORWARD OUT OF THE seat and smashed her face on the center console!

I fel like the the worst mom EVER. She had a little bump on her eyebrow but was fortunately, fine.
#28 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 03:03 PM

Two really really scary moments that made my heart nearly stop...

When DH and first started dating, we had taken a trip with DSD to visit a friend of mine... we hadn't thought to set the child safety lock on my doors yet, as his daughter has never really messed with the doors, and this wasn't the first time we had taken my car, and we just did not think of it I guess.

So we are driving down the highway and suddenly feel more wind than usual. DH quickly pulled over, DSD is laughing away! Needless to say, the car doors have been safety locked ever since, and whenever we switch to a different vehicle, like sometimes we go in my Mom's SUV places, we make sure to lock her's too. lol

The next time, was a Saturday my DH was working and we were still living with his Mom, as far as I knew his Mom was still downstairs, so I quick went upstairs to brush my teeth...

Well apparently she had left, and DSD decided to follow her outside and got stuck out on the porch because she couldn't open the other door to the outside, and can never manage to open doors to come back in... she can get out fine, but not back in for some reason...

So I came down panicked when I saw she wasn't playing in the living room anymore, and it had only been maybe 3 minutes tops... I see her on the other side of the glass crying and freakin out. I scoop her up and she was fine then... but my goodness! I suppose it's a good thing she isn't so good with doors and didn't get outside at least!

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#29 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 03:04 PM

Middle DD went to the park by herself when she was around 20 months old. It wasn't very far though. The only really scary part was that she crossed a city street alone.

Middle DD also fell into a big plastic bucket with a few inches of water in the bottom when she was around the same age. It was EXACTLY how they describe kids drowning in buckets, except her face wasn't actually submerged. She was stuck though.

Friends of DH's made mustard gas when they were kids. It killed all the crickets in the spot in the woods where they did t.

The father of a friend of mine came from a big family. One of the kids got left behind on a road trip. All of the other kids knew he was missing, but they didn't say anything. They were over an hour away before the parents figured it out.

Another friend grew up on a farm. Her dad took the youngest sibling with him when he went to feed the cows and forgot her in a field sitting a hay bail for several HOURS. She was lucky the cows weren't hungry and didn't eat in as far as where she was sitting.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#30 of 96 Old 09-26-2008, 03:07 PM

I'm another one who once forgot to bucket DS in his infant carseat... we realized it about 10 miles down the freeway.

I also didn't realize DS knew how to open our oven door until he recently opened it WHEN I WAS BAKING SOMETHING! I don't even want to think about how much he could have gotten hurt.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page