Tell me the most annoying advice or comment you've received! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-22-2008, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do not understand why anyone feels they have the right to give unsolicited advice anyway, it bothers me no end. I had a lot of advice and downright nasty undermining comments about my decision to breastfeed - truth be told I think a lot of negative statements/ criticism or " advice" are actually to do with the giver being intimidated or feeling guilty over the decisions they made in child rearing. My MIL constantly badgered me about breastfeeding and constantly asked if I was sure I was producing enough milk for her ( well, she is steadily putting on weight so I'm going to guess- YES !!!!). I had to go back to work when dd was 5 months old ( which I hated but which was necessary) and was doomed to failure by various older female relatives who maintained I would never carry on breastfeeding - HA !! I breastfed until she was nearly 2, has no-one heard of breast pumps ! I was laughed at for cooking all of her food and was told the baby food jars were full of vitamins - guess what ? fresh fruit and veg even more so !
We would never let our little one cry and were told we were "spoiling her" and she was "manipulating us " - at 2 fricking months old !! I could like most everyone go on and on. I do think its because people feel threatened. I don't care, my daughter is fab and thats the main thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2008, 11:38 AM

I thought of a few more!!

On day three of life (our first night home) my milk was in and I was emotional. DS cried nearly the whole night. I fed him many times and ds held him a few times. I thought my milk was not letting down so while I tried to hand pump to see if I could get things going, in tears all the while, dh said, "just give him a bottle" AHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Needless to say he never mentioned a bottle again after I got through with him.

After 1yrs we decided to start giving ds1 whole milk. When he didn't like it we didn't push it but many people told us to mix it with FORMULA so he'll get used to it. ????? Why do you think he would prefer the taste of formula to cows milk when he has never tasted formula.

I know my MIL was joking every time she said this (and she said it a more than a handful of times) but there is something wrong with even saying this in jest. Every time one of my babies would cry she would say: "Is your mommy mean to you, you can come live with us" or "Is your mommy not feeding you enough, you come live with us and we will feed you" I think dh said something b/c she has not said it in a long time. I told dh it bothered me and he said she is just kidding. I told him it is not OK to say that. He told me to say something but I said I shouldn't have to b/c I am his wife and he should be sticking up for me and my mothering skills regardless of his feelings for his mother. I do love my MIL though. I just hate her tact.

My last for now: Every time ds2 cried, and he cried a lot, someone was always there to tell me he was hungry!!! If I donated an ounce of milk for every time someone said that to me I could feed a third world country. Sorry but I think I know when my baby is hungry.

**Meghan***Wife, Mother, L&D RN... DS Logan 9/05 DS Riley 05/07, and DS #3 Cian is here!!! 7/25 x3
Old 10-22-2008, 06:05 PM

I was told that I needed to 'milk' my newborn DS's nipples or else he would end up with MAN BOOBS

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
Old 10-23-2008, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppermint Poppies View Post
I was told that I needed to 'milk' my newborn DS's nipples or else he would end up with MAN BOOBS
OMG!!! So............this must be new, 'Cause I sure see a lot of old man boobs at the beach

Not really advice, but one strange coment by an aquaintance when dh was new: "Oh, he looks like his Dad, that's good, so everyone will know who his father is"
I was too stunned to coment at the time, all I could think is what does that say about me, or the fact that dh and I had been together 12 years before ds came along.:
Old 10-23-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
I am accosted by the hat police regularly. I'm glad to see it's not just me. Also, there seem to be a bunch of people convinced that babies should never be in direct sunlight or uncovered while outside in general.

Don't get me started on the people that couldn't/can't believe we took DD out of the house at 1,2,3 and now three months old. When are babies old enough to leave the house?!
lol! I had DS at the PX in his wrap at 2 days old!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 10-23-2008, 02:07 AM

at work: bf'ing past 1 year is pure laziness.
one of the other moms at my job told me that I should give my ds more juice (i was asking her about bottles during the workday, since she *used* to nurse). "At 9 months he should be drinking at LEAST 10 oz a day of jucie," she said. Otherwise, they don't poop. " And then added, "most of the time I even give my kids teh JUICE juice, you know, like the 100% kind?"
another day we were talkign at lunch about our kids' sleep and another mom mentioned matter of factly that her son was teething again and she had started putting the fan on in the kitchen so that she wouldn't have to hear him cry when she put him to sleep at night. lovely.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

Old 10-23-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthcave View Post
Oh, the hat comments!
my thinking on hats is that i actually wear hats on my LOs all the time b/c if i don't wear a hat and i'm in the cold/wind, i get sore ears instantaneously! but i guess if mamas aren't prone to it, their LOs likely aren't either.

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

Old 10-23-2008, 02:39 PM

On buying a co-sleeper- "don't waste your money. You won't be able to sleep with the baby making all kinds of noise beside you."

On cloth diapering-"We'll see how long that lasts."

On telling someone that my 1 week old had a cluster feeding session last night (I wasn't complaining about the 5 hours of nursing, just observing that she is eating well)--"You don't want her hanging off you when she's four years old"

On picking up my three day old from her pack and play (in the kitchen) as soon as I finished eating, even though she wasn't crying--"why did you do that?" oh, I don't know--maybe I just want to hold the baby that barely three days ago was INSIDE of me.

Mama to DD (10/8/08) and expecting someone new in November!
Old 10-23-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummama View Post
On buying a co-sleeper- "don't waste your money. You won't be able to sleep with the baby making all kinds of noise beside you."
The better advice, in our case, would've been - "Don't waste your money. You'll end up snuggling her in bed with you anyway."

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
Old 10-23-2008, 03:00 PM

My mother LOVES to ask "What's wrong with him?" regarding my 2 year old son. My response? "Um, he's a 2 year old BOY mother!" UGH! Of course, this is coming from a woman that only had girls and swears up & down that we were never rambunctious when we were little.

It drives me NUTS!

Just a squeaky girl in a squeaky world.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewearetogether View Post
Also, my husbands grandmother does "not approve" of me carrying the baby in
"a bag around my neck".
I don't mind that,though, she's 90, things were different back then
THAT is funny!

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:51 PM

I had someone tell me when I was going for a vbac to just have another cesarean because you'll end up with one anyway.

I've also been told just circumsize and vaccinate because everyone does it.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishyfishie View Post
The better advice, in our case, would've been - "Don't waste your money. You'll end up snuggling her in bed with you anyway."
Old 10-23-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishyfishie View Post
Oh but they make such great bedside tables! I must have four books, my diary, two pens, a packet of thank you cards, a pair of jeans and a nursing pillow in mine!
Old 10-23-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murihiku View Post
Oh but they make such great bedside tables! I must have four books, my diary, two pens, a packet of thank you cards, a pair of jeans and a nursing pillow in mine!
We have the original size, which converts to a playpen...so the crib is now side-carred to the bed to serve as a trampoline for dd, while the co-sleeper/playpen is home to various household items that I don't want the baby or cats getting into! My mom wants to turn it into a ball pit, which is fine with me--she paid for the thing!

Rachel, mama to Lucy, born 9.9.07, and Caroline, born 2.25.10!
Old 10-24-2008, 02:02 PM

my grandmother just called to wish me a happy birthday & felt the need to mention that "maybe this will be a year with no new baby, you don't need to populate england, you know?" . i have two children, that's hardly populating england.

User Tag List