Tell me the most annoying advice or comment you've received! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 136 Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was walking down the street on a nice sunny day with my 6 month old when a woman stopped me to tell me that he was squinting. Since then I've been trying to compile a list of all the most annoying comments or advice that moms have heard...Give me your worst! And if you have any nice comebacks, I'd love to hear them too!
#2 of 136 Old 10-15-2008, 07:36 PM

I hear "when they are old enough to ask for it (nursing), then its time to stop!. I have herd that twice in the past 3 days.:

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
#3 of 136 Old 10-15-2008, 07:56 PM

"You're going to regret that."

Doesn't matter what I've heard it for. It annoys me each time. I heard it about co-sleeping. I heard it about carrying him around instead of letting him scream. I heard it about breastfeeding.

Haven't regretted one yet.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#4 of 136 Old 10-15-2008, 07:57 PM

Guy at the corner store: "You need to put a hat on him, babies catch all kinds of diseases through their heads"

Me: "Thanks doc"

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#5 of 136 Old 10-15-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraZ View Post
I was walking down the street on a nice sunny day with my 6 month old when a woman stopped me to tell me that he was squinting. Since then I've been trying to compile a list of all the most annoying comments or advice that moms have heard...Give me your worst! And if you have any nice comebacks, I'd love to hear them too!

I was breastfeeding my son at the gym's daycare center before going to work out and the woman working there said "are you sure he's latched on right?".

:

umm, yeah

Marina, married to one really great guy : and mama to three magical boys- Matteo 8/05, Nico 11/06 and Luca Bean 11/08
#6 of 136 Old 10-15-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontierpsych View Post
Guy at the corner store: "You need to put a hat on him, babies catch all kinds of diseases through their heads"

Me: "Thanks doc"
Oh man I really hate that one and I've heard it several times, mostly that my child will drop dead of pneumonia if I don't get a hat on their head immediately. A woman at the train station became quite aggressive about it, basically ordering me to put a hat on my baby. I explained that she was fine and that cold weather doesn't transmit infection, she finally walked away muttering under her breath. Thankfully the train came before she had a chance to call the cops

I've also heard the "if they're old enough to ask for it" line about nursing when my son was a toddler. Sure, let's punish children for developing language skills early by withholding comfort and nutrition.
#7 of 136 Old 10-15-2008, 08:17 PM

We chose not to give our boys fruit juice as infants (actually they've never drank juice)

My MIL (smugly) "Oh, you WILL give them juice because they won't be able to poop without it."
#8 of 136 Old 10-15-2008, 08:24 PM

I was at the grocery store with DS when he was 7 months old- he was sitting in the seat in the cart. He loved (and still does) riding in there. Some older woman followed me around telling me he was much too young to be sitting up in there! Um, he was sitting up well for over two months at that point- I'm pretty sure he wasn't too young!

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#9 of 136 Old 10-15-2008, 09:12 PM

That I really needed to let my baby sleep in the bassinet so he wouldn't get attached to being held. ~ said by nurse in hospital when babe was 1 day old.

Amy - mom to Anna-Rebekah 14, Logan 13, Christian 8, Ethan 7 and Adan 07/15/08
#10 of 136 Old 10-15-2008, 09:22 PM

My baby--and the rest of the population--would wind up DEAF (not dead, DEAF) without the CDC-recommended vaccination schedule. Yes, I'm sure he said DEAF. He went on and on about it. This was a doctor, a pediatrician, BTW.
#11 of 136 Old 10-15-2008, 09:53 PM

"Don't turn him gay." "You'll turn him gay doing that!"

I wish I could say it were in jest.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#12 of 136 Old 10-15-2008, 09:58 PM

2 things:
one from my mom when DD was 2 months old. "Better not feed her so often or else she will be hanging off (your boob) until she is 2" I think it had been 3 hours since she last nursed. She is totally freaked out I am still breastfeeding her at 18 months.

And I was at the mall one day, and my DD sweats like no other baby or person I have ever seen, so she had a light jacket on and it was windy and raining. If I put anything heavier on her, she takes it off. DD was laughing at the wind, she loves the wind and rain, and she was still sweating. An older woman came up to me and told me I was going to make her sick and she needed gloves and heavy coat and hat on.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#13 of 136 Old 10-15-2008, 10:01 PM

At my baby shower, my step sister when she was told why we didn't ask for bottles.
"Hah! We'll see how long that lasts."

:

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
#14 of 136 Old 10-15-2008, 10:07 PM

ohoh - I have 2 more. I actually have had a lot of rude comments, or else I am super sensitive.

When I told my family I cloth diapered - they all told me "you'll change your mind, just don't even bother" um...18 months strong and still haven't stopped

And the best - I was in wal-mart, and my baby was a chubby chubster. This cashier said "great googily moggily, what are you feeding that child" So my husband in all his proudness said "breastmilk!"
And the cashier said "you need to stop that, she is getting too fat"

Mind you this woman was obese, and had no right to tell me my 4 month old was fat!

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11
#15 of 136 Old 10-15-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post
When I told my family I cloth diapered - they all told me "you'll change your mind, just don't even bother" um...18 months strong and still haven't stopped
When I mentioned I wanted to CD when I was pregnant my family told me I was crazy and making too much work for myself. The stupid thing was I believed them and didn't do it for the first seven months because of what they said! I love using CDs now and wish I would have not paid attention to their comments.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#16 of 136 Old 10-15-2008, 10:32 PM

Said to me by the nurse at the hospital the second day after my son was born as he was nursing and sleeping "Don't let him pacify at your breast or he will be there forever"

But the worst was said in the recovery room (I had a c-section under general ) and as I was coming to and my midwife was putting my son to my breast and he was crying the nurse in the recovery room says "He is a big baby, he needs a bottle, he's hungry" my midwife said "we will put him to the breast then" my mom said "No" and my DH said "no way" the nurse repeats "He is a big baby and needs a bottle" my midwife with voice raised "NO, there is no parental consent end of story" I am glad that my midwife was there and that nurse couldn't get her hands on DS.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#17 of 136 Old 10-15-2008, 11:46 PM

"Just make her go to sleep."
"I don't understand why you choose to let her stay awake at night."

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#18 of 136 Old 10-16-2008, 12:14 AM

upon leaving the hospital with my 2 day old dd...

my husband had gone ahead to install the carseat back in the car since we needed to do a carseat test to ensure dd could go home (long story...) anyway, the nurse saw the carseat (britax roundabout) so she knew that it wasn't an infant carrier seat. when i was leaving the unit, she was all aghast that i was *gasp* CARRYING my baby. "where's the carseat? what if you drop her?" yeah, 'cause if i'm carrying her in a carseat there's no way she could possibly be dropped?!

wife to dh, mama to dd1   june 2007, dd2 march 2009 and dd3 april 2011
#19 of 136 Old 10-16-2008, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Check out this thread. It is the ultimate resource for stupid advice and comments!

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#20 of 136 Old 10-16-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake&zaxmom View Post
We chose not to give our boys fruit juice as infants (actually they've never drank juice)

My MIL (smugly) "Oh, you WILL give them juice because they won't be able to poop without it."
Oh! That reminds me of another one.

My aunt told me that I needed to give ds water as an infant because breast milk alone wasn't enough. Apparently, he would become dehydrated without bottles of water because my breast milk wasn't hydrating enough.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#21 of 136 Old 10-16-2008, 01:50 AM

When my son was 2 and still not talking:

"Just don't give him anything to eat until he asks for it. That will make him talk."

Lolly
Mom to an amazing little guy, age 9 (Autism, Hyperlexia, Dyspraxia, Albinism, Chromosome Microdeletion)

#22 of 136 Old 10-16-2008, 02:24 AM

Don't let him nurse longer than 5 minutes on each side because then your milk will be out and the baby will just suck in air, which will then give him gas.

Like my boobs had air in them?!? I got this gem of information from our family doctor (we switched doctors pretty quickly).
#23 of 136 Old 10-16-2008, 02:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadebug View Post
Don't let him nurse longer than 5 minutes on each side because then your milk will be out and the baby will just suck in air, which will then give him gas.

Like my boobs had air in them?!? I got this gem of information from our family doctor (we switched doctors pretty quickly).
This one is cracking me up.

The worst I have received was from my husband's childless young (former) boss. With regard to our 2 month old crying inconsolably at night and how much it stressed and worried us because she had a heart problem and would have spells of cyanosis and tachypnea..."oh just let her cry it out, you can't treat her special her whole life just because she was born with a health problem." WTF.
#24 of 136 Old 10-16-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloHoneySF View Post
I was breastfeeding my son at the gym's daycare center before going to work out and the woman working there said "are you sure he's latched on right?".

:

umm, yeah
At least this person was a BF supporter!

I have had so many... from my own family usually, not so much from strangers... they have sense enough to avoid me!

My dad at dinner with us and the whole family, (12 people) when dd was 6 weeks old: I had her under a light-weight black shawl, very discreetly nursing her. Dad barks "Where's the baby??............ (GASP) OH!! She's under there isn't she?? You're not doing that at hte table are you?? Ugh! Yuck! That really is not something you shoud do at the table..."
(everyone in the entire restaurant staring)
Me: "YOU eat at the table, why shouldn't she?"

My mom, just the other day:
Dd happily bounces up and starts telling my mom how she got a booboo, but nursed and felt better... "Oh, Prenna. That's awful. (sounding disgusted) That's just for babies... you're almost 4, and still nursing in the middle of the day? Ugh! Are you a baby, then? I thought you were a big girl!"

Dd looked at her, and said, "I'm still mama's baby!.......and I love the num!" I was so pleased with her reply I said nothing. Ha ha, Mom!
#25 of 136 Old 10-16-2008, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post
"Don't turn him gay." "You'll turn him gay doing that!"

I wish I could say it were in jest.
Wow, so... what is it your doing that will turn him gay so I can blame my dad for making me find happiness with another guy.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#26 of 136 Old 10-16-2008, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
Wow, so... what is it your doing that will turn him gay so I can blame my dad for making me find happiness with another guy.
laughup
#27 of 136 Old 10-16-2008, 07:09 AM

--Said to me about my 2 month old first child "He is much to skinny. You need to start giving him cereal. When I had my kids, we had this special pump thing that you could force it down their throats with, I bet you could find one if you looked".

--There used to be a woman in our church who would seek us out and harrass us for lack of hats, socks, or blankets on the baby *in summer*.

--frequent comment I see in discussions: If you don't let your baby CIO and teach it to self-soothe at night, you will *never* get it out of your bed and you'll still be struggling to get a 5 yo to sleep through the night.
In spite of the fact that we semi-co-slept and I nursed on demant 24/7 through 18 months with them, my oldest two went into their own beds at 2 yo and I could count on one hand the times they've gotten out of thier beds to come to mine. They like thier bunk bed very much and have no interest in trying to squish into our very small double bed with two large grownups and a wiggly baby.
#28 of 136 Old 10-16-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grniys View Post
Oh! That reminds me of another one.

My aunt told me that I needed to give ds water as an infant because breast milk alone wasn't enough. Apparently, he would become dehydrated without bottles of water because my breast milk wasn't hydrating enough.
Ok, I've never told anyone they should give babies water.....but I thought you should!! Are you talking about tiny babies or ones older than say 6 months (random age chosen there!)

Maeve, wife to Bobby and TTC since August 05. Mummy to furbabies Jay and Spota since October 03.
#29 of 136 Old 10-16-2008, 07:45 AM

'When are you going to switch to formula?' (my dad...ds was 7 months)

Sorry dad - he EBF (no solids) until a week before his 1st bday and still nurses all the time! (15months now)

My mom did tell him to shut it though
#30 of 136 Old 10-16-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrennaMama View Post
Dd looked at her, and said, "I'm still mama's baby!.......and I love the num!" I was so pleased with her reply I said nothing. Ha ha, Mom!

I love the num, that's priceless!! ::

Here's some of mine. I've been told with all three my children, right after birth, that I'm spoiling them for letting them sleep on my chest.

I live in South Africa and I've gotten this comment TWICE in the last 3 months or so. The first time I was buying colddrink at a cafe outside a shopping center. They ladies at the cafe asked me if I had two boys and one girl. I said no, one boy two girls. They said "I'm so sorry. Maybe next time you'll be lucky and have a boy again." The second time was the teller in the one store. While I was waiting for my dh to pay, she asked what the genders were. I said two girls, one boy. She said: "You cheated your husband. You must have one more so he can have another son." I told her that men determine the sex of the baby, not women. If my dh feels cheated, which he does not, he has only himself to blame. It's not my fault if he can't make boys.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page