Cute Things You've Been Told About parenting Stuff - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 10-21-2008, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NAK

I was answering the annoying parenting things you've been told thread and though about something cute someone once told me.

I was at my brothers house and one of his friends dropped by. I was nursing DS1, now 10 (OH, how time flies). Anyway, I had a nursing cover over DS1 and my brothers friend asked, "What's the baby doing, praying?". I said, 'No, I'm feeding him". He said , oh. Then he realizes what I said and got all hysterical, LOL.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 10-21-2008, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ds was born a few weeks before Christmas and was the first child in our group of friends. We were visiting them Christmas Eve and one of the guys (23, young and knowing nothing about babies) came over while I was nursing ds and kissed him on the head and said something about how sweet he was sleeping. I said he was eating and man, you've never seen a guy run so fast. His mom was dying about his fear of a food boob instead of a sex boob It was so damn funny and everyone teased him for weeks about being scared of a boob.
#3 of 28 Old 10-21-2008, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post
Ds was born a few weeks before Christmas and was the first child in our group of friends. We were visiting them Christmas Eve and one of the guys (23, young and knowing nothing about babies) came over while I was nursing ds and kissed him on the head and said something about how sweet he was sleeping. I said he was eating and man, you've never seen a guy run so fast. His mom was dying about his fear of a food boob instead of a sex boob It was so damn funny and everyone teased him for weeks about being scared of a boob.

#4 of 28 Old 10-21-2008, 08:11 PM

I was nursing DS at a friend's house when the 6yo she was babysitting said "Look out, that baby is going to lick your boobie!" The idea of nursing had never occured to him, so I had to explain it to him....

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#5 of 28 Old 10-21-2008, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was one nursing my then baby at one of those mall play areas a well meaning ut slightly over zealous mothers spys me adjusting my clothing so I could be a wee bit more descrete and rushes over me with this huge blanket and holds it in front of me so I could nurse in priviate. SHe was soo proud of her good deed I didn't have the heart to tell her she minus well have put a neon sign saying BF woman here with all the attention this blanket drew.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#6 of 28 Old 10-21-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like most of the postings will be about nursing

#7 of 28 Old 10-22-2008, 12:29 AM

When I baby wear both kids at the same time to the zoo. A lot of people use the term "Super Momma" I try to be humble and explain that it's much easier than it looks and I prefer wearing 2 over just wearing 1 at a time because they even each other out. But inside I'm like, "Yeah! That's right! I'm the SUPER MOMMA!"

http://www.babybearhugz.com/sitebuil...98-227x258.jpg

I'm trying to post a picture, but I don't know if it's gonna work.

mdcblog5.gif  Mama's Projects  This is my blog (mostly sewing, some cooking and gardening occasionally).
The link doesn't seem to be keeping, so here's the web address.  http://mommasewingprojects.blogspot.com/
#8 of 28 Old 10-22-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post
BAHAHA! My "baby" BROTHER (13 years younger than me) did this very same thing to me when I was nursing once and after he kissed her head, I told him that when he was approaching me I thought he was "going in for a sip", that was when he realized the boob was out and he about died. :

Ali - Wife to Steve and mom to Zoe - age 7, and Ezra - 17 months (9/2009)
#9 of 28 Old 10-22-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Shane love the pic,you SUPER MOMMA!

#10 of 28 Old 10-22-2008, 12:46 PM

When dd was 3, we were walkin in the Kohls parkinglot and she ripped her hand out of my hand and ran into the road. I got her hand again and then she tried to do it again and fell and busted her knee. I was furious and scared because she could have been hit. I took her in and customer service gave me a bandaid and could tell I was upset. She told me that when her daughter started that - she told her that all the black spots on the road are little children' who didn't hold their mommy's hands. I tried it with mine and ever since I never had a problem again. In fact she hates it when other parents dont hold their childrens hands and will shout out to them - HOLD MOMMY'S HAND! Your gonna be a spot. Of course somtimes there are bigger spots than other ones and those she has rationalized are "big" kids!

Loving Mother to our adoption miracle, Riana :, and our angel baby, Xavier. Trying for baby. Wife to my Hero! BLOG LINK IN PROFILE
#11 of 28 Old 10-22-2008, 01:05 PM

While I was pregnant with Mackenzie I had a friend and her 6yo living with me, and I'd watch her son while she was at work. One day we were out grocery shopping, and walking down the aisle with the baby food. Friend's DS exclaims loudly "That's what the baby's gonna eat when it's done suckin' on yer BOOBIES!"

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#12 of 28 Old 10-22-2008, 02:31 PM

My grandma cautioned me not to wean ds too early- he was 3yo at the time.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#13 of 28 Old 10-22-2008, 04:40 PM

When I was putting on my moby dh's cousin looked at me and said... Where were you when mine were little!!!! she has a 2 and a 3 year old, The moby would have been awesome for her. Any carrier would have!! Her MIL wants to try it on next time I see her just to see how it works for any future grandchildren. That felt good since I figured they'd think I was crazy, but instead they thought it was one of the coolest things they'd ever seen.

Wife (32) to DH (33) Mom to DS 2 and Twin DD's born 8/11
#14 of 28 Old 10-22-2008, 07:08 PM

My gran, who has Alzheimers, when we were staying with her and my grand-dad kept asking me if I needed to heat up a bottle for DD. Each time I would have to explain to her that DD was nursing and didn't need bottles, and each time she was surprised, but came out with some lovely comments, including: 'Well, I can't heat those (gesturing to my boobs) up for you!' 'Oh, so the milk is the right temperature already' and 'At least you can't forget those(boobs again)!'
My DD's extremely high needs and I find her difficult at times. I was particularly frustrated one day while visiting my mom and she told me 'Every time she cries she's doing her best to tell you how much she loves and needs you'. It really helps me to remember this when she's driving me up the wall!

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#15 of 28 Old 10-22-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabeeprague View Post
I was particularly frustrated one day while visiting my mom and she told me 'Every time she cries she's doing her best to tell you how much she loves and needs you'. It really helps me to remember this when she's driving me up the wall!
That's awesome. I wish someone would have told me something like that. Well, someone might have said something like that, but I'm so horrid when I'm frustrated that I probably would have argued with them about it while never really hearing what they said.

mdcblog5.gif  Mama's Projects  This is my blog (mostly sewing, some cooking and gardening occasionally).
The link doesn't seem to be keeping, so here's the web address.  http://mommasewingprojects.blogspot.com/
#16 of 28 Old 10-22-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jannah5 View Post
Shane love the pic,you SUPER MOMMA!
Thanks! I have a shirt that I've had for years that has an "S" on the shoulder. (Like Laverne and Shirley, Laverne would wear) My son is completely in awe of Super man right now and believes he is real and that when ds grows up he will be Super man, and has been wearing his Super man costume 2 or 3 times a week, all summer long. So, occasionally I remember that I have that shirt and I'll wear it, and he always points to the "S" and asks, "what's that". "It's my S for Super Momma." I reply in a completely straight face, never waivering. Since he's heard people's comments at the zoo, I think he's kinda buying it.

#17 of 28 Old 10-22-2008, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane View Post
thanks! I have a shirt that i've had for years that has an "s" on the shoulder. (like laverne and shirley, laverne would wear) my son is completely in awe of super man right now and believes he is real and that when ds grows up he will be super man, and has been wearing his super man costume 2 or 3 times a week, all summer long. So, occasionally i remember that i have that shirt and i'll wear it, and he always points to the "s" and asks, "what's that". "it's my s for super momma." i reply in a completely straight face, never waivering. Since he's heard people's comments at the zoo, i think he's kinda buying it.

#18 of 28 Old 10-23-2008, 01:07 AM

These are cute, made my day:

I'd like to share but my brain is numb, too tired, maybe later.
#19 of 28 Old 10-23-2008, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
When I was pumping to build up a freezer stash before going back to work my elderly stepdad insisted on playing classical music for me every time. He grew up on a dairy farm and swore up and down that certain kinds of music made the cows produce more milk, and it should work for me too.

Dh's grandma keeps warning me not to wake the baby because "babies only grow while they're sleeping". :
#20 of 28 Old 10-23-2008, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post
Ahhh much better than my MIL who warned me I'd turn my DD gay if I didn't wean her "soon" she was 6 weeks

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#21 of 28 Old 10-23-2008, 04:48 PM

I was at the zoo this summer with my son and my 2 month old daughter. I had her in the sling and we were walking around.

I bent down to talk to my son at one point, and a cute little boy peeked into the sling and said to his mom, "She's got a baby all up in that purse!" He sounded quite shocked and amused, but not as amused as I was by that comment.
#22 of 28 Old 10-23-2008, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
When my son was a little baby, he was lying down asleep in the sling as I took a shortcut across a university campus. I passed a very tired-looking student who said, "Ohhh, that's the life...lying in a hammock...sleeping...and getting somewhere at the same time!"

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#23 of 28 Old 10-23-2008, 08:46 PM

well, this isnt a natural parenting comment, however it was funny all the same. When my dd was about 8 months old we were at a local lake swimming and a woman came up to me and said "I have to tell you my 10 year old son just said the funniest thing, he asked me why 'that woman put makeup on that baby'" ... referring to her long eyelashes!!!

I just that was sooo cute!
#24 of 28 Old 10-23-2008, 08:49 PM

" the days are long but the years are short" is my fave

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#25 of 28 Old 10-23-2008, 09:03 PM

Way back when I was pregnant with my ds and other moms on my same month birth forum were finding out the sex we had a thread on why it was great to have a baby boy. I was reading through it because, I admit, I was disappointed to find out I was having a boy. I will never forget that one lady said boys were so sweet and she told this story about her son's first day of Kindergarten. She said when she picked him up he told her that while all the other kids were playing he really missed her and he went around and found some really great sticks and rocks for her and handed her a pile of them from his pocket. She said she put them in a little baggy and still had them years later. I thought that was so cute and sweet that this little boy would pick out the "best" sticks and rocks for his mom. It made me excited to have a boy from then on out and she was right, boys are super sweet :

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#26 of 28 Old 10-23-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post
When I told my mom (I think even while nursing my 2y7mo)that she'd probably find it somewhat weird that I'm 'still' bf my LO (me and my sister were exclusively bottle fed) and she replied with a smile: 'No, it's not.' and something that sounded like:'you're doing a good job'. :

Me:,loving HB,two active sons of 3 & 5,1 cat, nature lover,,extbf,occ,SAHM, multicultural/lingual family,+/-cl, :become a better parent/person by not expecting to be the perfect parent/person
#27 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 07:27 PM

I don't know if it was cute, but it was nice.

My mom nursed me until I was 4, and my brother until he self-weaned at 2 (which is when I was forcibly weaned). My stepmom nursed her sons until they self-weaned (both at 2 years old), and her daughter, born 10 years after the second boy, well into her 4s. My dad has always been supportive.

Dad, stepmom, and half-sister were visiting with DS was brand new, and they took me out to breakfast at Denny's. DS got hungry and I was having a very hard time figuring out how to nurse him without knocking him into the table (we were in a booth) and without exposing myself (I've never been into NIP).

I got too frustrated and declared that I'd just go stand in the bathroom to nurse him, and my dad flipped out and said forcefully:

"No daughter of mine will nurse a baby in the bathroom!!!"

And he got me a chair from another table, set it up so my back would be to the room, and situated the baby blanket around me so I could be modest.

Awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy7-08 View Post
When I was putting on my moby dh's cousin looked at me and said... Where were you when mine were little!!!! she has a 2 and a 3 year old, The moby would have been awesome for her.
While that's great that they liked the Moby, I would have wanted to say "um, on mobywrap dot com like they have been for quite awhile now?". DS is 4.5 years old and I had a Moby when he was only a few months old... they were around!
#28 of 28 Old 10-24-2008, 10:25 PM

My youngest brother - whose 16 years younger than me - told me "what you do for your kids makes me feel like I was neglected when I was a child."

I know that sounds like he was slamming our Mom, but I really don't think he was even thinking about her, just me.

It was sooo sweet! :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page