the most necessary baby items - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am wondering what all you Eco-friendly, money-conscious Moms think are the most absolutely necessary baby items. I don't want to be a mom that buys stuff that we don't really need.

thanks!
#2 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
boobs
carseat

Those are the two biggies.

diapers (if you plan to use them... visit the elimination communication forum)
a sling or other carrier

-Angela
#3 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 01:08 AM

I know lots of moms don't use them, but a stroller was/is very useful for me. I still use my sling, but when I'm trying on clothes or something it's nice to have the stroller.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#4 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 01:12 AM

I'd have on hand for baby

a car seat
some diapers (I'd do this even if ECing)
some clothes
a blanket for swaddling clean spot ect
a sling

We did find we loved the stroller but I wouldn't necessarly get one right away.

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#5 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 01:24 AM

Breast
cloth diapers +pail+soap+wet bag
sling
car seat
receiving blankets
thermometer
baby nail clippers
#6 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 02:44 AM

Agree with pp re the boobs!

Sling(s) - you might want to get two or more different types. I really liked a pouch sling for a newborn, which is also useful for quick hip carries with a toddler. Then you might want a two shouldered sling, like a mei tai or a structured carrier (like Ergo) for longer front/back carries - these will also be useful until your child is 3 or so.

Yes, a stroller isn't essential but handy, depending of course, on your baby's personality, and how much walking you do. If you get groceries on foot, etc, it's good to have instead of carrying your baby and lots of packages home.

Carseat - you will probably want one even if you don't have a car, as it's necessary in friend's cars or cabs.

Some basic clothes, sleep sacks and/or swaddling blankets

Cloth diapers and accessories

Nail clippers, although some parents bite their babies' nails!

If you're out for long walks in the winter, get a bunting bag to keep the baby warm. I was paranoid about making my DD too hot, and I think I underdressed her for most of her first winter.

Most if not all of this stuff you can get 2nd hand. . . except for the boobs of course!

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#7 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 04:49 AM

Sling (I like a pouch sling for a newborn and a ring sling, or MT for when they get older)

Nappies

Bum cream and some moisteriser.

Swaddling wraps (we've got huge muslin ones which are really good!)

Clothes (for our winter babies we had a couple of woollen cardis, a handful of growsuits and bodysuits, plus a couple of pairs of socks and a couple of merino hats.We don't get snow, or really that cold in winter here though.)

I do use our stroller now that DS2 is a little bit older. He's happy in it, and sometimes it's handy to have

Bassinette, because I personally don't feel comfortable sleeping with a newborn and toddler, though if it's just you and your partner in the bed this shouldn't be an issue.

A bag big enough to fit a couple of nappies, a change of clothes, maybe a toy and a carrier.

Oh yeah, and a carseat!

I also like having a change table, but it's not really necessary, I just find it easier.

Blankets

Muslin cloths for burp cloths and smaller ones for wipes / face cloths etc.

Also think baby nail clippers are really handy. Plus a comb and brush and some oil incase of cradle cap. The oil is also nice for massage.

It's complicated.
#8 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 05:25 AM

-Carseat
-Swaddling blankets
-Stroller and/or sling
-Some clothes
-Diapers

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#9 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 09:21 AM

Depends. For me, since I stay home, not much. If you plan to return to work, or will have other people care for your baby, then you may need a bit more. The absolute bare minimum for me would be:

Carseat
Good supportive sling/wrap/carrier
Cloth diapers, wipes, and wool covers (pail and wet bags too)
2 soft cotton blankets for swaddling
6-8 outfits/sleepers/ect

That's it. At least for a few months or so. However, if you could get a few more items...

2-more carriers (I found I likes the sling some times, a short wrap others, a long wrap others. It was nice to have a selection)

Stroller - It's nice to have a place to put my coffee and bags on.

Wool mat/pad/sheepskin They are SO soft and help protect your mattress from diaper leaks.
#10 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 09:42 AM

i dont think anyone mentioned it but some good nursing bras and possibly some nice breastpads.

and some mamas milk tea

if ec-ing a bblp is nice

a carseat, i would stay away from buckets as they tend to not last you so long for your money.

sling

and since mine tend to teeth early and hard i like an amber necklace and wooden teething toy

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#11 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 09:51 AM

I agree with previously mentioned things.

I do plan to get a bucket seat because my new baby will be born in the winter, and I like the idea of putting her into a warm seat and the putting the whole seat in the car. Otherwise, I'd probably just get a convertible. It is convenient to get a tiny baby latched into the seat in the house, though.

The stroller is nice occasionally but I wouldn't spend a lot of money on one.

I've decided a diaper changing table is a waste of money and space. I'm happy to change on the floor. Some people do like them but it really was just another piece of furniture to find space for IMO. And if the baby rolls around on the floor, there's no distance to fall.

A diaper pail and some wet bags to carry dirty cloth diapers around in.

A basket to store clean and dry diapers in. I didn't bother folding - I just threw them in the basket and pulled them out as I needed them. They looked fine and it makes the chore a lot easier. I guess some moms like the fold them but I always felt rushed.
#12 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 09:51 AM

My tip is if you coat the baby's bottom with petroleum jelly (I know...) every change, it makes wiping the sticky meconium up much easier that first week.

I loved our monitor, because I was paranoid about naps and such like that.

One thing I learned is that you will probably want to go out anyway after the initial "babymoon" so don't be worried about being on a buy-as-you-go plan if there are shops accessable nearby.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#13 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 09:58 AM

Ok, I've thought about this before and if I could go back in time this is what I would have:

Breastfeeding:
Soft bamboo velour/hemp washable breast pads
Lanolin or Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple cream (lanolin free and awesome, I did use this)
Unbra from Decent Exposures
Organic crossover bras (2) from Gaiam
Some nursing tank tops from Majamas or similar
boppy
Indian or sherpa prefolds for burpies

Diapers, Cloth
Prefolds
Thirties covers
Snappi
Dream Eze
Wet Bag
Wipes, cloth
Spray bottle

Diapers, paper:
Pampers swaddlers OR
Seventh Generation

Gear:

Carseat
small, compact stroller
Maya ring sling
mei tai with buckle waist
Swing (plug in if you can find it)
maybe portable swing for going to friends
Pack/play (if you have dogs/cats/animals) I had 2 dogs so I 'needed' this (playyard/bassinet/changing table all in one)
Baby gates depending on your home layout
**{Really wish I had this} Humanity organic Cosleeping pillow

Lots of blankets, flannels, prefolds, flats, snugglies

Later:
High chair or booster seat
twin bed for baby to move into when they are ready
Klean Kanteen sippy cup or Sigg

That's all I can think of for now

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#14 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 10:05 AM

ah! a boppy how could i forget a boppy!

and im not a fan of maya wraps for beginners. id suggest a wrap or a pouch sling for a beginner.

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#15 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 10:08 AM

I just had my third son and to be honest there isn't all that much that is required. For me, a car seat, receiving blankets (I found oversized ones from an Etsy seller called kinderhaus that I'm happy with) and a sleeping place. Some little clothes, diapers.

Some of my recent purchases, and probably not so natural parenting purchases include, a car seat positioner and infant car seat winter cover, a Medela hand breast pump. I also used soothie nipple gel pads and soothie pacifiers.

I think that's about it. It's really not that much. I got my nursing bras / tanks at Target because they were inexpensive and I'm small-chested so they work well for me.
#16 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 10:17 AM

rocking chair or glider.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

#17 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 10:41 AM

I agree with all the previous suggestions.
just want to put in another bid for one or more babywearing options (my personal fave was a Mei Tai) this for me was the absolute essential.

Also a big exercise ball for bouncing the baby to sleep on. Worked like a charm for my DD who required LOTS of walking, bouncing and rocking.

If you are a car-free family (Like we are) a light weight stroller that can fold up and be carried on public transport (ours is a Mclaren Volo, got it as a gift). You won't need this until the baby is older, but at some point you're going to stop baby wearing and start using a stroller (for us it was after a year). Also a good quality folding stroller will last a long time. My DD is turning 3 in a month and we use it regularly.

Not essential but really great for winter babies is a babywearing coat. Checkout the babywearing forum or www.thebabywearer.com for the latest news and reviews on all things babywearing.
#18 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 10:45 AM

I agree that a changing table is nice buy not necessary. What I did was, I scoured the antique stores and found a dresser (which I needed for the baby anyway) with a changing table top. Once they are all out of diapers, it can become just the top of the dresser. I only paid about forty bucks for it, way cheaper than a new dresser or changing table would have been. Just a thought. It saves on the bending over.

Essentials? clothes, blankets,diapers. Carseat of course.

I realize how little I used most of what I had. The crib was just a big, empty space waster for number one and two. By number three it became the place wehre stuffed animals lived. by number four I had thrown it out. We also had way more clothes than needed which creates chaos when trying to find something, we just had too much.

I guess nail clippers and a suction bulb.

Funny you sould ask, I was just thinking about this recently, about how much shorter my "baby needs"list would be if I had another (with the first baby it was so long, I knew nothing back then!) You dont need special baby towels and baby washclothes, they can use the regular ones. I make my own wipes. But you would then have to purchase the container you will use to keep them in (hasto be airtight). I do love my stroller. Didnt much use a baby swing or those bouncer seats. THe stroller though when they are older. Mine spent a lot of time in the sling when little.

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2003) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness
#19 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 AM

Some sort of sling/carrier.

I am not uber-crunchy, but found the carrier to be INDISPENSIBLE. We used them literally from day 1. I had a few (most have been passed on), and I still use one occassionally with my very active toddler (27mos) when we are walking long distances. For a long time, it was the only way she'd nap. Strollers are useless for *us* (DD does NOT like them), but we have a small girl, so, she was easily carried almost ALL the time until about 18mos (she didn't even hit 20lbs until then). At which point, she easily walked most places.

For us, we also found a pack and play to be indispensible, but we had a baby who WOULDN'T cosleep until about 7 mos, so, we could easily move that around from room to room and she had her own "space" near us.
#20 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 10:58 AM

The only items that were must for me (outside of boobs) were:

baby washcloths and a yogurt container of warm water for cleaning tiny bummys
a good baby carrier (sling, Mei Tai and Baby Trekker were my favourites)
Kuddle Ring nursing pillow (great for tummy time)
Light weight fleece blankets for swaddling
Flannel recieving blankets/flat diapers to catch the spit up
Nursing pads
Baby carseat
Lansinoh both for bums and breasts
diapers, clothes, a good bunting if it's cold

My favourite luxury item was our Kiddopotamus fleece cover thing that was meant to go over a stroller, carseat or carrier. I loved that thing. Versatile and warm with a place for my hands.

The swing was very helpful. One of my kids slept well in the pack and play, but the other completely refused. The basinette was useless.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#21 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 11:21 AM

i think pps have covered the basics
this was our list of essentials:

diapers/covers/wipes/pail or hamper/liner
carseat
clothes -- especially if you're having a winter babe
blankets
baby-carrier
safe place to put baby while you take a shower/go to the bathroom/fix a snack, etc (for us, this ended up being a bouncy seat, but could be a swing or pack-n-play)
nail clippers
thermometer
lanolin
MAMA!!!

oh, and lots of meals in the freezer

and someone else to do laundry hehe

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#22 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 11:45 AM

I am a minimalist momma! So, here are my suggestions...

From birth...

*boobies (Evenflo glass bottles, as needed)
*nursing bra & nip cream (good for bums, too)
*cloth dipes, covers, wipes and pail
*basic layette (tees, onesies, socks, footed one-pieces, receiving blankets)
*sling
*car seat & seat protector

For a little later...

*convertible crib & basic bedding
*booster seat & bib (we use tempered glass bowls, tiny spoons & regular small glasses)
*a few toys and a lot of books
*more clothes!

Towels, comb, nail clippers, thermometer, gentle cleanser and moisturizer are other essentials that you probably already have on hand. You may already have a great bag that could be used for a diaper bag (add a wet bag and formula dispenser, if necessary). Rent a high quality breast pump, if needed.

We received sooo many things that we never wanted or needed, as gifts. We sold or donated all of it! Fortunately, we spent little $ on these items (seat, swing, bassinet, umbrella stroller, pack n' play, jumperoo, play mat, baby positioners, monitors, bath tub, baby towels, un-comfy clothing, silly toys, etc.).

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

#23 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post
My tip is if you coat the baby's bottom with petroleum jelly (I know...) every change, it makes wiping the sticky meconium up much easier that first week.

I loved our monitor, because I was paranoid about naps and such like that.

One thing I learned is that you will probably want to go out anyway after the initial "babymoon" so don't be worried about being on a buy-as-you-go plan if there are shops accessable nearby.
nak

4 this, we used olive oil....worked great!
#24 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 12:03 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I would add: a swing. Probably not very crunchy, but it was nice to have in the living room when DS was napping. Later, it was really easy for DH to get him to sleep by putting him in it (DS nurses to sleep, and has trouble falling asleep when I am not around).

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

#25 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 12:21 PM

Not baby gear exactly, but essential supplies:

Enough books or magazines so that you can have one beside every place you nurse. The bigger your space, the more you'll need.

And just in case you don't have one already, a cordless phone!

We didn't have a car with our first, so we didn't need a car seat straight away, not until he was six months old and we were tired of trying to rent carseats along with cars.
#26 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 12:35 PM

A baby book. The Baby Book. some reference guide. Yeah, everything is online but sometimes you want to bring the book to the baby or you don't have time to fiddle with your internet connection when you need to know the symptoms of a concussion at 3am.
#27 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 12:43 PM

I think it also depends on your personal circumstances, too.
I work outside the home, so a good breastpump and bottles are a necessity. (My husband is a SAHD and my job pays the bills and has the medical coverage, so I can't just quit) He also want to make sure we have some single-serve packets of formula on hand just in case we run out of breastmilk one day while I'm at work. Walmart is about 500 yards away-meaning, put the baby in the sling and walk over there, guess not too fun with a screaming, hungry kid-and I hope I'm always at least a little ahead with a freezer stash. If you don't WOHM, then a double electric probably is not necessary. If you want to, though, you could get a hand pump and a couple bottles in case you have to or want to go somewhere and leave the baby with daddy or someone.

I think basinettes/cradles are only good for a few weeks before baby outgrows. Get a pack-n-play and use that basinette feature. Then you have a "safe place" to put baby when you are showering or in a position baby can't be wandering around (say, painting the kitchen) or when your baby gets older and gets a new sibling, it makes a great place to play with legos or other teeny-tiny toys--keeps em away from baby.

Other necessities:
-a collection of quick-n-easy throw-together-but-nutritious-and-filling meals.
-flexible routines (a loose plan for your day--don't schedule it down to the second)
-take care of yourself--be sure to eat, drink plenty of water, have some downtime--let daddy take over babycare for 30 minutes or so, shower and get dressed every morning and do your hair and face (even if all you do is pull it in a ponytail and put on moisturizer and a slick of lipgloss)--trust me, you will feel like you've accomplished something big, even if it means waking at 6 am before the baby is up or let daddy dress baby while you shower and dress.
-take care of your home. Your stress level will be a lot lower if you are up on top of the laundry for cloth diapering and not having to search for things when you need them. (trust me, I'd fall behind on laundry and have to go to the store for disposables to tide me over until laundry was done)
#28 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 12:46 PM

I didn't have a changing table with my first. Couldn't afford it, didn't have room, didn't think it was necessary. Along came number 2 and we were actually in a house and were given one as a gift from my parents. It was great. I could keep everything diaper-related put away and in one spot, could change the baby without bending over a couch or bed and hurting my back and we also used it sometimes for getting him dressed. I still have it and have been using it on my third baby. It has seen better days and will probably need to be replaced before #4 gets here. I never realized how much I would enjoy having one.

The sea monkey has my money.

#29 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 01:11 PM

Breasts, a really comfortable sling or two, diapers. Water for you!! I was amazed at how thirsty I was for the first couple of months.
#30 of 50 Old 10-23-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysmom617 View Post
nak

4 this, we used olive oil....worked great!
Hey that's a great tip.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page