pierced ears - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a first time mom of a 6 1/2 week old little girl. I am debating on wether to wait until 6 months or later to pierce her ears. I have heard that some do it at 3 months. And others say to wait till they have a coulple of shots. Is 3 months to early??
#2 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I am a first time mom of a 6 1/2 week old little girl. I am debating on wether to wait until 6 months or later to pierce her ears. I have heard that some do it at 3 months. And others say to wait till they have a coulple of shots. Is 3 months to early??
Uh, oh! Watch out, this is one of those red button subjects here (the other is your mentioning of shots, another hot topic around MDC!).

I see this is your first post. Be prepared, there might be a few replies that are a bit hot.

Ear piercing is something I haven't had to deal with other than personal experience. I wasn't allowed to have mine done until I was 16. Mom said she'd take me back and have my nose pierced if I did my ears. This was back when girls just didn't have pierced noses (at least, in Western culture).

My opinion is to ask, first, why do you want to do this? I can't see any good reason to pierce any part of a child's anatomy. They haven't given you permission to do so, nor have they asked for it. Myself, I don't think babies look cute with jewelry.

So, my answer would be to wait until she is old enough to ask for the piercing and old enough to care for them herself.

As to shots, whoa, head over to the Vaccinations Forum for more on that!!

By the way: WELCOME!!
#3 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 07:51 PM

Way too early, I'd say. I'd wait until she's old enough to ask. And even then, you'll need to find a reputable piercer who will pierce a young child. Those piercing guns used at the mall aren't very sanitary and punch a ragged tear with a blunt object. Ew.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#4 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 07:55 PM

I would wait. A few reasons for this - when she's older she may not want her ears pierced, and she wouldn't have the choice to have this undone. Also, there's a lot of care involved in it, and infection is a risk. I had my ears pierced at 12, and even with good care, they got infected. I had to get them re-pierced twice, and even now I have problems with them.
#5 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Why not wait until she is old enough to give consent to having her body painfully and permanently altered.

Dd just had hers done at 6 ys old. She was so exited to pick out some earrings and have it done. She made me go first though lol. So now I have my ears pierced too!

Decluttering 500/2010
#6 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post
Why not wait until she is old enough to give consent to having her body painfully and permanently altered.
:
#7 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 08:20 PM

[QUOTE=BunnySlippers;12529181]Why not wait until she is old enough to give consent to having her body painfully and permanently altered.

QUOTE]

I agree. Not only would be giving her consent by asking to have her ears pierced, it is a choice the two of you can make together when she comes of age.

Welcome to MDC. :
#8 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 08:41 PM

I agree - I'd hate to see a LO go thru a painful experience just to look "prettier".
#9 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehogs4 View Post
I agree - I'd hate to see a LO go thru a painful experience just to look "prettier".
Me too, although in some cultures/religions it's not just about appearances.

I suppose it depends on your reasons for doing the piercing. If it's just jewelry, wait until she is old enough to consent.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#10 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 08:50 PM

hi, welcome to MDC

here comes my soapbox

I don't care when or where in your body you poke a hole. Thats your business. Personally I wouldn't pierce anything until the kid asked to be pierced. *BUT* (heres where the soapbox comes in)

DO NOT PIERCE THINGS IN THE MALL

ever.

Ever never.

Mall place as soo bad, they use guns that basically are ramming a sharpish piece of metal through your flesh, the guns can't be properly sanitized, you shouldn't be piercing with studs with those stupid clamp backs, they are impossible to clean : the list goes on

If you feel you have to poke holes in yourself, go to a piercing studio. If you think piercing studios are "gross" or "creepy" you're wrong. You think people with piercings and tattoos are gross and creepy. The studios are inspected by the health dpt. the artists have licenses not 5 mins of training like the mall girls.

If you are going to do something do it right.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#11 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 09:06 PM

Infections

* Bacterial infections such as staphylococcus can occur as a contaminant. This is more common in those with Atopic eczema. Patients with heart valves need to be careful not to introduce bacterial infection into the blood stream and potentially infect the heart.
* When the cartilage is pierced a specific bacterial infection with a bacteria called Pseudomonas can occur.
* There is a risk if transmitting viral hepatitis from patient to patient through the instruments.
* Read more about bacterial infections.
I don't believe in piercing infants' ears. It is painful and unnecessary, and can have complicatios.

Here are a few examples:

Inflammation

* The piercing through the cartilage can be associated with inflammation in the cartilage

Hematoma

* Blood clots can form because of local internal bleeding in the ear

Foreign Body Reactions

* Granulomas and foreign body reactions can occur to the gold in the rings or if small pieces of metal are left in the skin

Keloid Scarring

* This is common especially in darker skin.
* These are smooth, firm growing, unsightly scars that grow beyond the site of injury. They can be difficult to treat.
* Excising them usually leads to even bigger scars. These scars can be painful.
* Most often they are at their biggest behind the ear lobe.

Allergic Reactions

* By far the most common allergy in women is to the metal nickel. Gold is a much less common allergen. It s also possible to become allergic to the topical cleansers, antibiotics, and antiseptics that are used to prepare for the procedure. Check-out www.EczemaGuide.ca for more information.

Other Considerations

* Heavy rings will pull down and tear the ear lobe giving a split lobe. These need surgical repair if the person wants it fixed.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#12 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 09:59 PM

I personally wouldn't pierce someone's ears until they asked for it. Most places peirce baby's ears with a gun, that should never be used. A hollow sterile needle should be. Also, the child should take care of her ear herself. Its also painful, even as an adult.
#13 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 10:12 PM

It's her body, her choice. You should wait until she is old enough to ask for it before you permantely do something to her body that she may not want later on.

single mommy to identical twin girls (3/06) Non-traditional mama just : through life.
#14 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

wow i have to say i wasn't expecting to get all the same reply. i wasn't reall expecting that answer at all. to wait until she asks. well something new 2 consider! thanks
#15 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 10:51 PM

Wait, wait and wait! Let her come to you and ask. I have two girls and there is no way I would have ever even considered this. To me if they want their ears pierced they can ask and we can make it a special day, just for her, and that will be quite a while as they are only 1 and 2 years old.
#16 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Banned

I waited until my daughters were old enough to ask, but I think a lot of posters here would still say they were too young. They were 3 and 18 months when they asked. The older wanted hers done and of course her little sister has to do everything she does. We never had any problems during the healing process and apparently the actual piercing wasn't too painful because neither cried and they both said it didn't hurt. My son also has one ear pierced. He was 6 when he asked for it.
#17 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 11:25 PM

We decided to wait until dd was older- 8 years- and let her decide if she wanted it done.
We didn't base it on when she asked. She asked about it when she was 5 or 6 years old. We offered non-pierced earring alternatives.
I chose age 8 because it is the time when a girl moves toward puberty. I felt it was an appropriate time for dd.
If she did want it done at that age I had planned that I would get mine done again at the same time to share the experience.
She's 8 now and decided against it. It's her body, her choice.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#18 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliza_Douchehammer View Post
I waited until my daughters were old enough to ask, but I think a lot of posters here would still say they were too young. They were 3 and 18 months when they asked. The older wanted hers done and of course her little sister has to do everything she does. We never had any problems during the healing process and apparently the actual piercing wasn't too painful because neither cried and they both said it didn't hurt. My son also has one ear pierced. He was 6 when he asked for it.

My dd was 18 months when she asked, I made her keep asking (multiple times a day, every day) for a year before I gave in... I still have no idea why it was (still is, she LOVES her ear rings, she is 6 now) such a big deal for her, I NEVER wear ear rings, and neither do any of the women she really sees on a regular basis.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#19 of 138 Old 11-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinder View Post
My dd was 18 months when she asked, I made her keep asking (multiple times a day, every day) for a year before I gave in... I still have no idea why it was (still is, she LOVES her ear rings, she is 6 now) such a big deal for her, I NEVER wear ear rings, and neither do any of the women she really sees on a regular basis.
We made DD1 keep asking for several months before allowing her to have it done, but after seeing how well she reacted we let DD2 get hers done after only a month of asking. I have 2g plugs in my earlobes but I never change them or anything so I don't really understand their fascination with having pierced ears.
#20 of 138 Old 11-04-2008, 01:55 AM

A good piercing shop, the kind of place where you'd trust the piercers to do a good job on such a permanent modification to your child's body, will not pierce a child who cannot ask for it themselves.

It was a amazing bonding experience to take my 8yo daughter to get her ears pierced. She felt like such a grown-up young woman to have her earrings, and they healed nicely. When she sleeps on them "funny" she knows exactly why it hurts, and why it will be OK.
#21 of 138 Old 11-04-2008, 09:49 AM

I had always thought that I would wait until my daughter was twelve to have her ears pierced, but she started asking to have them done when she was six. I told her that it hurt (she's not good with pain) and could get infected, but that if she still wanted it, she could have it done for her seventh birthday. She did.

It hurt, one ear got infected... it wasn't fun to deal with.

I wish we had waited.
#22 of 138 Old 11-04-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkhebert88 View Post
wow i have to say i wasn't expecting to get all the same reply. i wasn't reall expecting that answer at all. to wait until she asks. well something new 2 consider! thanks
Please wait. I have known adults who were angry that they were pierced as infants, because they would never have chosen to be pierced if they were given the option.
#23 of 138 Old 11-04-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626 View Post
Please wait. I have known adults who were angry that they were pierced as infants, because they would never have chosen to be pierced if they were given the option.
I would be one of them! Mine were done before I was 2 and I have had multiple infections and just overall problems like it is very difficult to get earrings in my ear (I don't attribute that to having it done early in life) plus I never got the option of saying yes or no. I don't wear earrings, EVER, and I don't think they look on my ears. I try to hide my ears anyway because they are REALLY tiny.
#24 of 138 Old 11-04-2008, 11:55 AM

I think it's far better to wait until a. she can ask for them and b. she can care for them daily by herself. The only reason most people want earrings on a baby, IME, is so you know she's a girl. Which is silly, at baby stage, the baby won't get offended if you misinterpret her/his sex.

Personally, if my daughter wants hers pierced I'm going to wait and do it as a coming of age sort of thing. Maybe when she gets her first period. Something special if she wants to do it.

I got mine done when I was 11, but I haven't worn earrings in years.

signature currently in transition
#25 of 138 Old 11-04-2008, 12:30 PM

We got my DD's ears pierced when she was 6 months old . . . at the mall. No problems with infection, inflammation, etc. Never had a problem with her trying to tug on them, take them out, etc.

This will be my only post regarding this topic. So if someone wants to debate me or flame me- I'm not interested.

Thanks!
#26 of 138 Old 11-04-2008, 12:39 PM

I did it, I love it, I'm not embarassed. I had both girls done at 8 weeks. Easy, painless, forgotten. Easy to clean this early, the girls grew up with them "being a part of them", and never mess with them.

As far as rituals, I can't remember getting my ears pierced, it's not a moment in my past I look back on, I do not think it's anything my girls would either.

I highly recommend it. Good luck!

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#27 of 138 Old 11-04-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraS View Post
Easy, painless, forgotten.
For them, or for you?
#28 of 138 Old 11-04-2008, 12:49 PM

For both! That's what rocks!!! Not to mention how adorable they are! They will love them in 10 years, 20 years, and 30 years, just like I did and do.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#29 of 138 Old 11-04-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626 View Post
Yep. I was made to get mine pierced when I was 5. My body totally rejects piercings. The holes in my ears still ooze pus and they've been pierced for 22 years. Please wait.
#30 of 138 Old 11-04-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraS View Post
For both! That's what rocks!!! Not to mention how adorable they are! They will love them in 10 years, 20 years, and 30 years, just like I did and do.
There are many adults who are angry that their bodies were modified without their consent. You can't know for sure that your daughters will love them as adults. Although, I hope for their sake that they do.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page