I hate the Disney Store! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-05-2008, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been trying to really cut down on plastic toys and anything I object to in terms of age appropriateness, sexualized toys, etc. I've bought lots of Plan Toys, Haba, Selecta games, etc recently and am trying to steer the kids in that direction.

DD really likes princesses and I've tried to buy mama approved princess things so as not to dismiss her interests, so dress up clothes, a couple of books, non licensed princess puzzles, Haba princess games, etc.

Then she goes to the mall with DH and MIL because MIL needed to buy clothes for herself and I was with DS in the car who was asleep. Of course, they pass by the Disney Store and of course, DD asks to go in. Of course, she asks for some cheap plastic, over priced, over packaged in probably PVC Ariel plastic figurines and of course MIL buys it for her (can't really blame her for that). Worse, though, she saw tons more cheap, plastic, overpackaged toys that she now wants. Argggghhh. I feel like it's a real step backward.

She'd gotten several pairs of plastic princess shoes from our neighbour as hand me downs and LOVED them. She wore them every day in the house until she started developing this weird itchy rash on the soles of her feet. The dr said it was a rare type of eczema and gave me steroid cream which I didn't use because I just stopped letting her wear the princess shoes and lo and behold, it went away!

And now she wants to get more princess shoes! 'Oh, but mom, I won't wear them all the time, so I won't get the rash'.

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#2 of 20 Old 11-05-2008, 05:23 AM

Most little girls I've come in contact with are just drawn to the sparkly princess cack. There's not a lot you can do about it, from what I've seen.

Maybe get some better quality shoes, then sparkle them up? Make some sparkly gaudy princess gear out of your own fabric? Find a bedazzler and let her go nuts?

If the shoes are causing eczema, I'd throw them out, but let her get some other good quality shoes and make them as gaudy and princessy as she likes. Get fabric markers and glitter paint and sparkly cack to put all over them. Make it a fun craft project.

I understand the need to get away from the disney stuff, but you can still indulge her princess obsession.
#3 of 20 Old 11-05-2008, 10:33 PM

I love pp's idea... and to boot, you'll be doing crafts which is a wonderful experience for any kiddo. Thanks for the idea!
#4 of 20 Old 11-05-2008, 10:38 PM

Ditto! Great ideas, mama
#5 of 20 Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 PM

Natrino (sp?) has some pink sparkly mary janes my dd loves. super princessy and good quality.

:Mama to 2 :
#6 of 20 Old 11-05-2008, 10:50 PM

I so feel your pain. My dd is 2 1/2 and loves everything princess. I'm fine with it but MIL bought her the packaged Disney figurines (it's like a set with all the characters from whatever movie) and she loved them so MIl went back to the mall and bought EVERY SINGLE SET. She never even ever saw any of the movies! Ugh. So annoying. She can be a princess everyday- I just try to steer her away from Disney, which seems to be impossible with all the outside forces that "just want to make her happy". It's really meant well and I try not to begrudge their efforts but what's wrong with non-commercial, non-licensed princess stuff. Why does the princess dollhouse have to be from the stupid disney store and not from a high quality wood store where it would be made with love

Ugh. I'm there with ya. It sometimes feel like a never ending battle.

I love the craft idea. Nice touch

Diana
#7 of 20 Old 11-06-2008, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyKitty View Post
Maybe get some better quality shoes, then sparkle them up? Make some sparkly gaudy princess gear out of your own fabric? Find a bedazzler and let her go nuts?
Good idea. I was about to buy her some princess crown themed Robeez today - she might be happy with those for a while. . .

Quote:
If the shoes are causing eczema, I'd throw them out, but let her get some other good quality shoes and make them as gaudy and princessy as she likes. Get fabric markers and glitter paint and sparkly cack to put all over them. Make it a fun craft project.
Oh yes, I've already thrown out all 7 pairs! I was looking in payless today for glittery mary janes, but I think I'll check out Natrino.

Quote:
I understand the need to get away from the disney stuff, but you can still indulge her princess obsession
Yup, that's what I'm trying to do. I've gotten some non Disney princess puzzles from Ravensburger and a Princess and the Pea game from Haba for her birthday, plus several dress up pieces.

Quote:
It's really meant well and I try not to begrudge their efforts but what's wrong with non-commercial, non-licensed princess stuff. Why does the princess dollhouse have to be from the stupid disney store and not from a high quality wood store where it would be made with love
Well, we bought my DD one of the Plan Toys doll houses with the furniture and she rarely plays with it. I'm hoping she'll get more interested in the next couple of years. She saw a vanity set with mirror with one of her princess DVDs and now really wants one. We've so far staved her off with 'well, that's for older kids and when you're bigger, maybe we'll get you something like that, but made of wood'.

It's so hard to go against the flow. . .

#8 of 20 Old 11-06-2008, 02:44 AM

My DD is currently obsessed with Barbie and Tinkerbell. Sigh. I am trying so hard to steer her away from it all but she is less than 2 and so I can't explain anything to her and she is not one of those children you can distract or redirect. My mom bought her a Barbie and it now comes to bed with us. I totally feel your pain.
#9 of 20 Old 11-06-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Oh yes, I've already thrown out all 7 pairs! I was looking in payless today for glittery mary janes, but I think I'll check out Natrino.
Mama, Target has glittery Mary Jane's for about 12.99 (last time I saw them) They had some silver ones that we bought for dd. Of course there were some pink ones w/ disney gals inside the foot (not outside) but we did silver and she was just as happy to have those. I scored some red ones for a buck at a thrift store once I think they have other colors at Target...maybe red too. For Halloween she wanted to be a princess. She got thrilled seeing the disney costumes. I went alone and bought her the gold princess dress they had at Target in the new toy section and she loved it! She was the only princess who was not blue (cinderella), yellow (belle), or pink (sleeping beauty) at halloween parties and halloween night. Her dress was so cute and made SO much better than the cheap costume ones and just about 10 dollars more. She got many compliments from people and we were ToT'ing w/ a cinderella and a belle. She was unique (well for a princess! ) and now she has a very nice dress to play princess in too!
#10 of 20 Old 11-06-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
My DD is currently obsessed with Barbie and Tinkerbell. Sigh. I am trying so hard to steer her away from it all but she is less than 2 and so I can't explain anything to her and she is not one of those children you can distract or redirect. My mom bought her a Barbie and it now comes to bed with us. I totally feel your pain.
Have you tried the Target dolls, Only Hearts Club? They are so cute! Maybe you can show her those and see what she thinks...and eventually she'll change her mind about the Barbie? I feel your pain too. But, like w/ my boys and toy guns, I will be firm on what we can play w/ and what we can't Good luck
#11 of 20 Old 11-06-2008, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
Mama, Target has glittery Mary Jane's for about 12.99 (last time I saw them) They had some silver ones that we bought for dd. Of course there were some pink ones w/ disney gals inside the foot (not outside) but we did silver and she was just as happy to have those. I scored some red ones for a buck at a thrift store once I think they have other colors at Target...maybe red too. For Halloween she wanted to be a princess. She got thrilled seeing the disney costumes. I went alone and bought her the gold princess dress they had at Target in the new toy section and she loved it! She was the only princess who was not blue (cinderella), yellow (belle), or pink (sleeping beauty) at halloween parties and halloween night. Her dress was so cute and made SO much better than the cheap costume ones and just about 10 dollars more. She got many compliments from people and we were ToT'ing w/ a cinderella and a belle. She was unique (well for a princess! ) and now she has a very nice dress to play princess in too!
Thanks. There's no target where we live, but I'll look into some other stores. I did find some pink satin-y dress up clothes, magic wand, garland, and princess hat for her that are non-disney. I couldn't believe it. . . at the Disney Store, they had a princess dress and it was $100!!!!!! Stuff in Canada is generally more expensive than in the US, but still. . .

#12 of 20 Old 11-06-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison's Mom View Post
She'd gotten several pairs of plastic princess shoes from our neighbour as hand me downs and LOVED them. She wore them every day in the house until she started developing this weird itchy rash on the soles of her feet. The dr said it was a rare type of eczema and gave me steroid cream which I didn't use because I just stopped letting her wear the princess shoes and lo and behold, it went away!

And now she wants to get more princess shoes! 'Oh, but mom, I won't wear them all the time, so I won't get the rash'.
I wait till they are around $4 a piece or less then buy the "pretty" ballet flat type shoes at Target about 2 sizes to big to put in the dress up box. They have sparkly ones, ones with beads on them, silver ones with fun leaf/flower designs...they work for dress up shoes, but aren't anywhere near as bad for their feet!

like this type of thing...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...AL._AA400_.jpg

As for princess toys... I let my kids have the stuffed ones from the disney store (but I didn't buy them till the were an extra 50% off clearance prices) cause they don't bother me as much as the plastic ones...not as breakable either. They, both Janelle who is 6 and Kincaid who is 4, play with them almost every day... For clothes, I only let them have princess (or characters in general) jammies...but that's cause I'm picky.

Jillian wife to Ryan and mommy to Janelle Ashlynn (9/09/2002), Kincaid Chance (3/29/2004), Travis Neil (8/13/2007) and River Anderson (5/02/2009).
#13 of 20 Old 11-06-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquishyKitty View Post
Find a bedazzler and let her go nuts?
this just struck me as funny, but I agree!
#14 of 20 Old 11-06-2008, 08:35 PM

I love the look on my childrens face when they get something they love, even if I dont particurally love the thing, is not for me to play with anywyas.
#15 of 20 Old 11-06-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison's Mom View Post
Thanks. There's no target where we live, but I'll look into some other stores. I did find some pink satin-y dress up clothes, magic wand, garland, and princess hat for her that are non-disney. I couldn't believe it. . . at the Disney Store, they had a princess dress and it was $100!!!!!! Stuff in Canada is generally more expensive than in the US, but still. . .
When I was a little girl my mom and my grandma would get my sister and I dress up clothes from the women's section of the thrift store. In retrospect they were all probably hideous, tacky dresses...but when you're 7 anything long and sparkly makes you feel like a princess.
#16 of 20 Old 11-06-2008, 09:59 PM

How about Sarah's Silks? (www.sarahssilks.com) They create such beautiful and quality-made dress-up and play items, and they're very non-character-y... I think they really allow the child to use their imaginations much more...
#17 of 20 Old 11-06-2008, 10:08 PM

Ohh good idea, Holly! I used to love dressing up in my grandmas clothes and shoes It was so fun in that big closet of hers and it made our day to do that more than anything.

Scraves from the thrift store and the funky jewelry, like chunky necklaces and bracelets and some lady hats would be fun! Oh our ddc just did the bead swap and dd loves the beads! I think we'll be making her some fun necklaces and bracelets soon too, together. I can't wait

I also looked up making crowns, wands, and such online and look forward to making those with her and seeing her face when it's all done. Much better than seeing how happy she is w/ a plastic disney store doll

My friend made a flower crown of rose petal blossoms, before they bloom. She used thread and a needle and it was amazing! It dried out and could still be used and smelled wonderful. Here is a daisy crown idea.

oh I have to share this cool link, making a bracelet out of an empty plastic water/soda bottle for you or your dd! So cool! If anyone has links to things like this, I'd love to see some and get ideas
#18 of 20 Old 11-07-2008, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenLove View Post
How about Sarah's Silks? (www.sarahssilks.com) They create such beautiful and quality-made dress-up and play items, and they're very non-character-y... I think they really allow the child to use their imaginations much more...
I actually bought a heart ribbon magic wand from them. Great stuff! Thanks.

Quote:
I love the look on my childrens face when they get something they love, even if I dont particurally love the thing, is not for me to play with anywyas.
I kind of agree with you, and it would be so easy if she liked the same things that I liked! Problem is that she gets drawn into the evilness of the Disney and Barbie marketing and it's just all cheap, over packaged, bad for the environment, made in China, overpriced, oversexualized crap. I give in sometimes and will let her have Disney books, and she does have several other Disney plastic toys that were gifts from other people. I refuse to let her wear Disney clothing or shoes - to me, that's just way too tacky. I might eat my words soon when I decide to pick my battles, but that's the way I feel now. I'm OK with fairies or princess clothing/toys/puzzles, etc if it's original art (not licensed) and kid-appropriate. Good idea about the jammies though - that might work as a compromise in our house if it came down to that.

#19 of 20 Old 11-07-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post
Have you tried the Target dolls, Only Hearts Club? They are so cute! Maybe you can show her those and see what she thinks...and eventually she'll change her mind about the Barbie? I feel your pain too. But, like w/ my boys and toy guns, I will be firm on what we can play w/ and what we can't Good luck
OMG I love those! Thank you! :
#20 of 20 Old 12-18-2013, 09:00 AM

Having visited Disney store today I cannot agree more. There were 18 people in the queue, and when I eventually arrive at the front they were "unable to advise" whether I could buy a costume for my 5 year old daughter. Instead they offered the costume for a girl aged 8 saying "she would soon grow into it". The quality of the products is very poor and the prices are unreasonably high. I will not be shopping there again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page