can I just eat without a bible lesson - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2004, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

so a little over a year ago my DH decided he wasent going to eat pork anymore..

ok.. he decided this a week after he told me I didnt buy *real food*
I asked him WTH *real food* was . I thought that was what I was buying .. but according to him the recipes I was trying werent real food.. he wants simple meats & veggies.. so ok.. whatever
one of the things he lists as real food is pork chops

i go shopping a few days later & but $15 worth of pork chops

2 days later he decides he dosent eat pork :
those pork chops sat it my freezer months before i cooked them for a very happy dog

well.. then one day he annouches he no longer eats shrimp.. crabs.. & fish without scales. or is that backwards?? I cant keep up

I still eat pork.. I no longer buy it to bring home.. but if family or someone cooks it I will bring myself leftovers..
he makes little remarks that get on my dang nerves though..
but all in all hes respectfull that I eat what i want & dont prepare food at home that he dosent eat

well tonight our neighbor brought some fish over.. it was a plate with several types of fish..
I started eatting a piece & he tells me he's not sure what type of fish it is..
that maybe I shouldnt eat it because hes not sure if its a scale fish
I tell him I dont friggen care.. it tastes good

well here starts the bible lesson ...

just let me eat man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2004, 02:18 AM

I'm confused.

I know some religions don't eat pork but what's up with the fish?
Old 04-25-2004, 02:23 AM

I would pay to have my dh be a picky eater--sorry if I am not much help:LOL

That man would eat rocks if I sprinkled salt on them.

He's not the top notch of health

Tamera hearts.gifwife to Rod moon.gif Mama to Ty jammin.gif Nathan Peace.gif Hunter bikenew.gifMila energy.gifAndrew sleepytime.gif Kyle REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif& our last baby # 7 due June 2011 1sttri.gif We homeschool.gif  nocirc.gifcd.gif  h20homebirth.gif
Old 04-25-2004, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by village idiot
I'm confused.

I know some religions don't eat pork but what's up with the fish?
Im no expert.. by far

but I found this

And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you
http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/sbs777/laws/diet.html
Old 04-25-2004, 03:00 AM

Maybe you should find those things Jesus said in the New Testament that said Christians can eat any food they want to and the old laws don't apply anymore.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 04-25-2004, 03:09 AM

Umm, yeah the Jesus thing might work if your family is Christian. But the restrictions mentioned by the OP sound like Kosher laws, which is Judiasm. If you're Kosher you can't eat animals that do not have cloven hooves and chew cud (hence, no pork), fish without fins or scales (no shark, eel, or shellfish), meat and dairy together at the same meal, orgam meats, and in addition food must be cleaned, prepared, and cooked in a Kosher kitchen following certain restrictions. HTH,
Lesley
Old 04-25-2004, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

see. thats another thing.. we arent jewish

but he has been reading the book of yahweh
so he dosent eat meats that were declared unclean & he also considers saturday the sabbath day

I respect this

he knows all about the new testament & the controversy about clean & unclean meats
Old 04-25-2004, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymomwith4
That man would eat rocks if I sprinkled salt on them.

He's not the top notch of health
OMGosh! Sounds like dh!

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
Old 04-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Red

My DH is super picky. Not for any reason but his own. I know exactly what the OP means, cause we've had those days.

However, I cook what I like. You want somehting different, you cook. Many nights he opts to make his own (he only wants stirfrys and salads). If we're having meat, he doesn't want it. If I start cooking veg meals, he wants to know why we don't have any meat!

Men.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:49 AM

He needs to read the T.T.,the part where Jesus says it's more important what comes out of someones mouth than what goes into it!
Old 04-26-2004, 09:18 AM

What is this "book of Yahweh?" The Tanakh? (old testament)? If he is not going to eat pork or shellfish, he also must follow all the other laws, keep the sabbath (no work, not even switching on a light), keep kosher, and get himself circumcized.

He is not Jewish tho, so I do not get it? What is his underlying plan here? He cna't just pick and choose which of the mitzvah to follow. What would be the point of that?
Old 04-26-2004, 10:12 AM

Okay. Well, then, he gets to buy and cook his own food! Problem solved.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:15 AM

If my dh did something like this, I would sit down with him and make something *very* clear. I would let him know in no uncertain terms that he can decide what he wants to eat, and that I will decide what I want to eat. End of story.

If he is not willing to do half the cooking, then from time to time he might get served something he doesn't approve of, like pork, if I want to eat pork occasionally. In that case, he would be free to either avoid the entree and eat the side dishes, or he could prepare himself a PB&J.

From a religious POV, I do not understand the reasoning here, and ITA with Daryl.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:37 AM

I have PMed a mod to move this to religious studies...
Old 04-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Banned

He sounds like he's trying to keep Kosher.

My dh is the worst pain in the ass concerning his dietary quirks. No kosher here just the most messed up person dietwise.

He only eats boneless chicken breast, for example.

He wants gravey on his mashed potatoes. He won't eat cheese unless it's on a pepperoni pizza (negating the notion that he has dairy allergies.) He eats a handful of veggies.

The only pasta sauce he will eat is Ragu traditional. It goes on and on.

I love the man and this love is reflected in my tolerence for his quirks. Obviously they were caused by childhood abuse.

DB
Old 04-26-2004, 10:49 AM

Enjoy your pork!

My mother did this to us growing up. I didn't eat ham for almost three years, when I finally was allowed I gorged out on ham and shrimp.

I live next to Seventh Day Adventist and they never are preachy and I have always respected their beliefs, making sure that when they came over we didnt have offensive foods, same for our Jewish friends.

Tell your husband that is he feels "convicted" not to eat pork or scavenger fish than its his "conviction" and not yours. God has not spoken to you in that way and you are going to be eating you some pig!
Old 04-26-2004, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
There was an article on the Beliefnet website about a fellow named Jordan Rubin. He is a Christian of Jewish origin who created a diet for health based on Levitical food rules. (It's kind of based on keeping kosher, but doesn't follow the rabbinic ideas about kashrut.) His diet is called The Maker's Diet. You can read about it here:
http://www.beliefnet.com/story/144/story_14464_1.html

It really sounds like Nikki's husband is trying to follow this diet. I think that if he is, he should give her the book and let her in on what he is trying to do. It is true that in the Jewish kosher laws we only eat fish with fins and scales. But in my experience, it's pretty easy to know which fish are okay.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:24 PM

Moving this to Parents as Partners...
Old 04-26-2004, 02:07 PM

Quote:
If I start cooking veg meals, he wants to know why we don't have any meat!
I hear that. I'm not vegetarian but would like to cook at least one meatless meal a week. Like I'll make pasta with sauce and have grilled zucchini and squash as a side. Whenever I cook something like this DH looks at it like I'm trying to poison him. : And he won't even eat it! Which really chaps my butt because I feel if I go to all the trouble to cook something for the family he should at least eat a little bit. Oh and heaven forbid I should make soup or stews for dinner. He'd eat steak and mashed potatoes for every meal if he could.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:59 PM

To the OP,

If I were in your shoes, I probably would have said something like, "Well, that's really interesting and let's discuss it. And can we discuss all the potential ramifications?" And then I would have given a good, hard ... uh .... fisheye to the relavant text(s) and honestly probed and discussed and respected and paid attention. BUT, I would have made it clear that MAJOR decisions like this cannot come like a bolt from the blue. At the very least, we may have food that would be wasted if a sudden, draconian rule were enacted. A family decision would need to be made about wasting food. Certainly any decision that can affect everyone in the family has been discussed thoroughly before changes were made around here.

In a kosher household, there can be no contact with the "traife" things; so, feeding the pork chops to the dog wouldn't have been a solution. At least, that's the way I've understood it. One can't have the stuff in the house at all, nor come in contact with it outside (so you can't keep kosher at home but work as a butcher in a non-kosher market without some special cleaning).

Anyhow, NC, sorry for rambling. What I mean to say is, I am sympathetic to your frustration. If he is just barrelling along and giving orders, I think a reminder that this affects everyone in the family and that about faces are hard to manage would be a good idea. I would probably have put my foot down pretty clearly on that. (We have been known to drag out Roberts Rules of Order during family discussions. )
Old 04-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
He only eats boneless chicken breast, for example.

He wants gravey on his mashed potatoes. He won't eat cheese unless it's on a pepperoni pizza (negating the notion that he has dairy allergies.) He eats a handful of veggies.

The only pasta sauce he will eat is Ragu traditional. It goes on and on.

I love the man and this love is reflected in my tolerence for his quirks. Obviously they were caused by childhood abuse.

DB
I think I know this guy! My dh also eats only boneless chicken breasts. And he wouldn't touch any sauce that was bought in a jar with a ten foot pole. Only homemade for him. He loves veggies, and will happily eat chicken or veg soup and homemade bread for dinner. Not beef stew, or any stew. He hates all casseroles, and doesn't have to taste them to know it. If I make steak, he wants salad, if I make a veggie meal, "where's the beef?"

He also claims a dairy allergy, but loves ice cream and pizza. He won't eat any processed food, nothing that comes in a package and no fish of any kind.

It was the abuse line that got me.

His mother was great, as far as I was concerned. But I guess she didn't cook. LIke ever. Canned Campbell's soup, hot dogs, grilled cheese. She did once make a turkey dinner (my fault, I thougt she'd WANT us to come for Thanksgiving dinner. Didn't make that mistake twice) I never saw a turkey that dry. It actually soaked up as much gravy as you poured on it. :
They never had a piece of fish. Never had an avocado, asparagus, a salad, ANY fresh veggie (only canned), never had a roast or turkey, etc. except at grandmas. He had the most limited diet I've ever heard of any one having.

So, if I get him to try something new, Yippee!

User Tag List