Masculinity vs. Civility - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2005, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried to get the male POV over at the Dads' forum, but they weren't as helpful as the moms have been, so I'll post this here and see where it goes. Maybe I sound too snobby or too flip, but honestly, this upsets me and I haven't had any luck discussing it with my DH. :

Lately, it seems like my DH has given up all codes of civility around the house in favor of burping, farting, scratching, walking around in his underwear (he works at home), licking fingers and noisily eating chicken drumsticks (while eating french fries with a fork?), not shaving, not nail-clipping, etc. etc. and to say that it has "killed the romance" would be an understatement.
While I do like masculine men, and would not see myself with a "metro-sexual", what is the fun in being totally disgusting? He says "It's my home and I want to relax". OK, but you're not living here alone. Is it too much to ask that he show a little consideration for the other adult sharing the place? And do I want my DS to learn all these little habits? Seriously, you're not going to lose your gender just by being clean and polite. And BIG P.S. he nags at me if there is dirt on the carpet or smudges on the windows. Hellloooo???

And no, he isn't at all helpful around the house, and thinks that his only responsibilty is bringing home the bacon. I feel like I married a caveman (but at least he doesn't dip tobacco---I saw that thread) and he wasn't always like this.

User Tag List