What do you use for contraception? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What do you and your partner use for birth control and are you happy with it?
Birth Control Pills or Patches 6 8.33%
IUD 6 8.33%
Depo Prevara 0 0%
Condoms or Diaphragm 20 27.78%
Natural Family Planning 17 23.61%
Fertility/Ovuation Indicator/Monitor 1 1.39%
Vasectomy, Sterilization, Tubal Litigation, etc 7 9.72%
Herbs 0 0%
Absolutely Nothing 8 11.11%
Other (please share) 7 9.72%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 06-08-2003, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 06-08-2003, 07:55 PM

right now it is a very unhappy abstinence. but hubby returns home in 11 days, and then we'll most likely use FAM with condoms as back-up, as i cannot tolerate hormonal methods.
#3 of 25 Old 06-08-2003, 10:04 PM

I just had my 6 wk. pp visit on friday and got an Rx. for the breastfeeding friendly b.c. pill. We will see how it goes!

Warmly~

Lisa:bf

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#4 of 25 Old 06-08-2003, 10:08 PM

right now no sex (we are too tired at 2 mo. pp). but I am getting fitted for a cervical cap as soon as the fitting kit comes from the supplier to the clinic. also going to practice FAM, as my period seems to have returned already, and ultimately would like to use that as my main form of BC.

-Lau
#5 of 25 Old 06-08-2003, 10:57 PM

We use FAM and some sort of barrier method. Usually condoms, or supositories, film, ect. I hate hormonal methods.

I was wondering what people who use FAM do when they are fertile-abstain, condoms, what?

I also have been thinking about the sponge. I just am not too happy with the failure rates, especially if you have already had kids, but knowing our past with condoms, it might be better.

Or perhaps female condoms, anyone tried them? Are they easy to find?

Aghh this has really been a problem lately
#6 of 25 Old 06-08-2003, 11:30 PM

personally, we can't use the diaphragm, cap, sponge, vaginal film, or condoms with spermicide because we are both super-sensitive to spermicides. it's plain condoms or no sex. those are the only options for us!
#7 of 25 Old 06-09-2003, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

We use FAM... I use a saliva tester that shows when you are fertile or not, and I also keep track of my cycles and mucus.
When i am fertile we either abstain or use condoms. We really don't like condoms though, and I can't stand to take hormones or anything synthetic.
FAM seems to work very well for us.
#8 of 25 Old 06-09-2003, 05:59 PM

I have been using NuvaRing for the last 2 cycles. I really like it. I don't get the ups and downs like I did on the minipill. My acne is starting to clear up and I've been able to loose weight.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#9 of 25 Old 06-09-2003, 06:23 PM

Depo Provera but I am thinking of trying the patch. I can't seem to loose the weight as before I was on it for 9 years and no problem. Wish I could use nothing.
#10 of 25 Old 06-09-2003, 06:42 PM

Mini Pills (chose BCP) But wish my doc would let me try the Nuvaring... He says I can't since I am BF!??? Oh well... Maybe when more litterture comes out on it...
#11 of 25 Old 06-10-2003, 02:56 AM

We use FAM and either do other "loving" things when fertile (tough for us!) or abstain. I know from experience that spermicides can interfere fertile mucus so we don't use anything else that might confuse the signs, especially since we only check mucus. Besides I really don't like anything else besides FAM. Can't imagine we'll change our minds either.

The hardest thing IMO is taht during ovulation, I feel like a teenager and dh knows me well enough, he can smell when I ovulate and gets much more amourous. However, after baby two, I was serious about NO more babies for a while. We are just now opening the door of possibility a *little* bit for a new one. I would still like to wait another year but we'll see what happens.
#12 of 25 Old 06-10-2003, 10:44 AM

I have a non-hormonal IUD that I think is great. I also cannot handle homones, and I wanted something very reliable after dd (20 mos old now). It was painful and took maybe 6 mos to really get so that my periods were normal, but a year and a half later I never have to think about bc and my chances of getting preggo are the same as sterilization. It lasts for ten years and I like the fact that it would have to be a real decicion in order to take it out to have another, not just a whim.
#13 of 25 Old 06-10-2003, 10:51 AM

I use the birth control pill. It works good, and it helps my heavy heavy periods. without it i could soak a super plus tampon in an hour. no cramps, just alot of bleeding. being on my feet for 12-14 hours on the weekends makes it nearly impossible.

I was on depo for 18 months, gained 20lbs and it made my mood "flat". i am thinking about the patch....wonder if it would do the same thing, kwim?
#14 of 25 Old 06-11-2003, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lisamarie
I just had my 6 wk. pp visit on friday and got an Rx. for the breastfeeding friendly b.c. pill. We will see how it goes!
What pill is that? My nurse practitioner (the dr. is too busy for 1/2 the appt.s they schedule him prescribed the estrogen only mini-pill for me & told me it wouldn't interfere with my milk supply. Before I had a chance to get it filled, I found out (here & from several other sources) that it CAN interfere -- just not as much/often as the regular pill.

T and totally NOT trying to start a debate...I also found out that they do not suppress ovulation. They build up a heavier mucus barrier, which works about 1/2 the time. The rest of the time that it "works" is because it prevents the fertilized egg from implanting. This doesn't bother many people, but it does some (and did me) so I thought I would tell you -- my n.p. sure didn't bother to tell me!

Anyway... we are using FAM right now, and will probably start using some sort of a barrier method later on...course we're still bfing with no plans to stop until my ds is ready. And we were planning to *possibly* start ttc when ds is around a year -- although that may not work out if hasn't "returned!" Besides, the dh gets a glazed look in his eyes now when I mention more..... :LOL :LOL :LOL :LOL
#15 of 25 Old 06-11-2003, 10:12 AM

Vasectomy all the way!
Hubby had the "big snip" in March, got his "zero count" check-up in May, and it's been awesome!
No worries of unplanned pregnancies, no condoms, no pills...awesome!
#16 of 25 Old 06-11-2003, 06:06 PM

cinnamonamon~

Its called "Ortho Micronor". Yes, my midwife did tell me about the mucus part and ovulation too. I told my dh that I would try this, but if I notice our dd getting fussy because of a decrease in my milk, I would be going off it.

Would like an IUD, but our insurance doesn't cover it. They only cover the pill and depo (and I'm not doing that). We aren't quite ready yet for the big "snip snip" job, so hopefully this pill will work!

Warmly~

Lisa:bf

#17 of 25 Old 06-11-2003, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I used a pill for over 10 year and suffred rare side effect, TIA (my hand went numb for 40 minutes) It is really rare in non smoking women under 35 year of age. MRI reveled that I had another TIS year ago, probably while pregnant. I am sort of too sensitive to estrogen. So, i got tubal ligation and I VERY HAPPY with it
#18 of 25 Old 06-11-2003, 11:53 PM

lisamarie -- glad you have a great midwife. Don't you hate insurance companies sometimes!! I had a friend who's insurance would not pay for her to have her tubes tied, but they would pay for her to have abortions : ?? Seems as if a "guarantee" of no more children would be cheaper for the insurance than multiple "oops" abortions!! Ahh, well -- that's life!
#19 of 25 Old 06-12-2003, 05:09 PM

yes, insurance companies can be very frustrating!!!!!

warmly~

lisa:bf

#20 of 25 Old 06-14-2003, 07:48 PM

right no we just let it be. what happens will happen. that may change after a couple of more little ones running around.
#21 of 25 Old 06-22-2003, 01:32 AM

i posted other...using extended breast feeding combowed with low sex drive (partial-abstinence) and my period has yet to return (winging-it). when i have the time,i will be reading up om nfp method and using that
#22 of 25 Old 06-28-2003, 02:04 PM

I had an IUD up untill a month ago. I had it removed because I felt awful and the way it prevents pregnancy was unacceptable to me. An IUD prevents pregnancy by preventing a fertilized egg from implanting. Personally, I feel that if the egg is lucky enough to be fertilized within the confines of a marriage, then, well, let it be! I wouldn't argue with another munchkin butt!

Edited to add--

I HATE condoms. I hate the smell, the feeling and just wish to go au naturale....Probably will.
#23 of 25 Old 07-03-2003, 02:20 PM

we've been using condoms, because I keep forgetting to start taking my temp for natural family planning (is that what people mean by FAM?)...but I was doing it most faithfully before ds, it was really working well for us, except for the fact that I got pregnant :LOL
...but I guess that was intentional (in one of those spur-of-the-moment sort of ways)
we used condoms during the fertile times.
#24 of 25 Old 07-05-2003, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MamaLuna
we've been using condoms, because I keep forgetting to start taking my temp for natural family planning (is that what people mean by FAM?)...
I selected Natural Family Planning although we actually practice FAM (symto-thermal) which allows for barrier methods during the fertile times while NFP traditionally does not.

But you guys new that already
#25 of 25 Old 07-06-2003, 11:42 AM

Right now, condoms, but I think he is going to be snipped. I don't LIKE condoms, but they don't bother me either.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page