Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 07-17-2003, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your Partner Ever Did...

I know - a silly thread. But today is the 5th anniversary of the day I met mine in person, and I'm feeling a little giddy with !

He has written some fantastic poems to me, but I can't share because they're back in Paris (not sure I could anyway ).

The thing that's sticking in my mind today - and this is the kind of thing that usually makes me want to wretch if I read it in a magazine or something - is how he used today's date, 1707, as his cell phone code. It was in the first few months of co-habitation - a challenging time - and I asked to use his phone. "What's the code?" "1707" "What's that for?" DUH! But I was really touched that he held that day so dear because at the time it didn't seem like he did (Well, it wasn't that bad - just not great, kwim?).

So? How about you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 07-17-2003, 09:35 AM

When we were dating, dh translated a very sexy and romantic Ancient Roman love poem and put my name in it (he'a Latin teacher). I still have the card (11 years later).

But the *most* romantic thing- he has my name and dd's name tattoed right over his heart!! (He's going to add ds once we have some $$) Some would say "tacky!" But I say, *swoon*.
I was unbelievably touched and flattered.

Dh also suggested the inscription for inside our rings "semper te amabo" I will always love you. We just had our 6th wedding anniversary.

I guess I'd better go give that guy a big hug. Thanks for this thread, ParisMaman.
#3 of 22 Old 07-17-2003, 11:44 AM

Probably the most romantic thing my dh has ever done was how he proposed. The three of us were at the gorgeous park overlooking the beach in Cannon Beach, OR. It was kind of misty and foggy out and he was videotaping Dane and I and the view. We got to this lookout area and started talking about how much he loved us and then, while taping he asked the two of us if we would take him in marriage. We will have our 2 year anniversery next month!

Great Thread!

Hugs~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#4 of 22 Old 07-17-2003, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
PM
Banned

OMG Lisamarie! I had my very first "love picnic" at Ecola! I was 16! We ate strawberries and drank champagne right on the edge of the cliff! I still have a little rock I brought home, where I wrote "D + S (my first name) 1984, Ecola Beach State Park"!!

What a beautiful site for a proposal!
#5 of 22 Old 07-17-2003, 01:03 PM

The first thing that comes to mind when I think about this is an email he sent me 2 years ago. I was out of town and printed it out and taped it onto the nightstand so I could read it over and over as I tried to sleep alone.

Quote:
You are a true Goddess in every sense of the word. You are my light in a world of dark and hatred. Your beauty outshines any woman who ever lived. You are my one true love. I will cherish you forever.

I love you baby!!!

Love me
#6 of 22 Old 07-17-2003, 01:15 PM

I know this is going to make some of you want to gag, but I really can't single out a most romantic. Sometimes it's those little things that mean so much to me. My dh has a knack for saying just what I need to hear or hugging me at the right moment. When we were dating, he made a Valentine for me out of pink construction paper. He even glued candy hearts to it.

He bought me a guitar for Christmas the year we planned to start TTC #1. He told me that he wanted me to learn to play for our babies. I haven't gotten very far, but I am too busy right now with our babies.

For our first anniversay, he drove me 5 hours down the Croatian coast for the day to a beach that I had been wanting to go to, so that I could swim on our special day. And he doesn't even know how to swim.

Oh and when we were first dating, I was climbing over him to get out of bed and I almost kneed him in the groin. So I said, "I almost kneed you". He said "I need you, too" He had no clue about the near miss of his groin. I told him about it a couple of years later.
#7 of 22 Old 07-17-2003, 01:31 PM
Banned

I feel mushy today, so this thread makes me smile.

When we first left for college together, I didn't like being alone because I'd never lived in a big city before. So, he would walk me to all my afternoon and evening classes and wait for me outside afterward. This was in Minneapolis and in the winter, so it was freezing, but he still did it and I never had to ask. He made it to almost every one, too.

I got sick that semester and moved home for spring semester and started school there, but he stayed in Minneapolis. He didn't have much money, but seriously, he came back on either the bus or the train every weekend to be with me. In fact, he arranged his schedule so that he only had classes Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. So he was a full-time student in Minneapolis but still was home with me (250 miles away) most of the week.

Needless to say, he is very dedicated.
#8 of 22 Old 07-17-2003, 02:04 PM

I love this thread. We're coming up on our 7th anniversary, and things have been a little prickly between us lately. This helps me remember why I love dh, so thank you for starting this thread. At our last house, we had a large field behind our house edged with apple trees. For one of our anniversaries, dh called me first thing in the morning to look out the bathroom window onto the field. I had NO idea what he was looking at early in the morning. Turns out he mowed a large heart with an arrow through it into the field, and you could see it best from the upstairs bathroom window. He would touch it up with the mower throughout that month of August.

This past Valentine's Day, I got dh several bags of chalky hearts. We noticed that there were lots of them without messages, so we made up our own. So much nicer to get a gel-penned heart that says "Love Buckets" than the generic ones. We wrote out new lascivious sayings for hours.

I hope in 20 years we will be as entertainingly loving as we have been so far.
#9 of 22 Old 07-17-2003, 02:52 PM

There's so many, so I'll give my latest.

He is out of the country right now for 3 weeks. I am working in his office (we work for the same company and my office is in another building from my boss, but my boss wants me here) and he left me a love note at this computer. So when I came in on Wednesday, there was a beautiful note telling me that life wouldn't be worth anything without Goo and me!

#10 of 22 Old 07-17-2003, 03:02 PM
Liz

My dh has trouble expressing his feelings in words. He has only said I love you a couple of times and it's usually hidden in a joke or something. By our first Valentine's Day together it was obvious we were in love but he'd never said it out loud while I had. So Valentine's Day morning while I was sitting in bed drinking my tea he came in and dumped a bag full of those cheap punch out Valentine's cards over my head. You know the ones you gave to all your class mates when you were in grade school? He'd signed each one with X's and O's and some with I Love You. I picked those ones out and saved them.
#11 of 22 Old 07-17-2003, 03:55 PM

our first valentines day together he drove me to the airport as I was going on a scuba diving vacation! LOL We made plans for him to join me 5 days later in Cozumel, where he would dive for the first time. We had a glorious five days, and when I got home, there was A HUGE pile of mail, it was 24 valentine cards from you know who. The only way to read the message was to open them all and assemble them on the floor opened--it was like a giant puzzle. It was about 6'x8' when fully assembled! I've always wanted to frame the whole thing in lucite and display it, but right now they're tucked away in a box!

we were sooo creative and energetic about finding ways to say 'i love you'. I once made fortune cookies from scratch with personalized messages--complete with realistic packaging--he thought I bought them! He still has one of the 'fortunes' glued to his guitar. It says "10,000 songs wait patiently for your voice"!
#12 of 22 Old 07-17-2003, 03:56 PM

The most traditionaly romantic thing he ever did for me was the first birthday we were together. He had bought me roses several times and had seen how sad I was when they died and I had to throw them away (other then the obligatory pressed one) so for my birthday he bought me a jade and rose quartz flower pin so I would have one that never died.

The other most romantic thing he did was just after our second was born and we were going through a ver tight financial spot. Ok, we were about ten cents away from homelessness most days to be honest. He knew I loved BLT sandwiches but their was no way we could afford bacon so I had not had one in ages. That mother's day he took the money that was for his new socks (which he desperately needed), took the kids on the bus and found a place to buy the fixings for a BLT (quiet a chore on a Sunday where we lived) came home and woke me up to a fresh made BLT for breakfast. I got to sleep in for the first time in ages and he sacrificed his new socks for me, now that is true love, lol.

MM
#13 of 22 Old 07-17-2003, 03:58 PM

SIGH.
My husband is wonderful.
But he just isn't given to romanitic gestures.
#14 of 22 Old 07-17-2003, 07:32 PM

OMG Lisamarie! I had my very first "love picnic" at Ecola! I was 16! We ate strawberries and drank champagne right on the edge of the cliff! I still have a little rock I brought home, where I wrote "D + S (my first name) 1984, Ecola Beach State Park"!!

What a beautiful site for a proposal!

WOW~How cool PM!!!!!!!!! Were you camping down there or did you live there. We love Ecola for various reasons!

Hugs~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
#15 of 22 Old 07-18-2003, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
PM
Banned

LM - No, I lived in Portland, so it was just a daytrip. But my mom has a house in Cannon Beach now. I miss it so much.

Liz - Your post reminded me of how my dh first told me he loves me. We met online (we lived in different countries). He had been left by his wife just a few months earlier, so he was pretty cautious. He is also not very expressive about his feelings. So about two months into our relationship he signed one of his emails

. ..... ...

It took me a few seconds - and I was actually thinking "that says je t'aime, that says je t'aime!!" I have no idea why I thought that, since the dots didn't even match up. Then I realized it *was* I love you - just in English. I about hit the roof when I realized it!
#16 of 22 Old 07-18-2003, 11:33 AM

I am bit down because i have no "true" romantic gesture from my dh. however, the two things that immediately come to mind is:

When i was 9 months pregnant with our first child we lived in connecticut. it was august and 102 degrees. he came home from work to find me sitting on the bottom of the stairs because i was too hot, heavy and exhausted to walk up the three flights of stairs to our attic apartment. so, he picked me up (just like he did when he carried me over the threshold!) and carried me up all those stairs. (i wasnt very big ladies, and i weighed only 127lbs at the time).

the second thing that comes to mind is he always, i mean always, scrapes the ice off my car in the winter. it gets pretty cold here in Colorado.

He does bring home roses ocassionally.
#17 of 22 Old 07-18-2003, 11:56 AM
Liz

Well, even though my dh can't seem to say I love you and doesn't do the grand gestures, he does get his point across. I don't think he has EVER bought me flowers but he did dig up some wild columbine and plant it in the garden of our then new house. I was 8 months pregnant so I just couldn't do it. They even lived which surprised us both because he ain't no gardener.

I also always remember when ds was just new my dh looked over at me tenderly and said, "Good job on the baby, hon!"

I have to remember to do little things for him, too. Thanks for the reminder!
#18 of 22 Old 07-18-2003, 07:28 PM

These stories are all so cool!

The moment I like to remember the most is when he was still in school and I was working. We were engaged, but living about 45 minutes from each other, and only saw each other on weekends.

I got into a car accident on a Monday, and lost my job on Tuesday. It was not a good week.

He had a ton of school work and tests, plus he was working almost full time, but he drove out to see me around 1 a.m., early Wednesday morning just to make sure I was okay.

#19 of 22 Old 07-18-2003, 08:20 PM

i love this thread and all the wonderful stories .
my dh isn't all that romantically inclined either, but he has his moments...every anniversary we decide what kind of gift we are going to give each other, usually something nice for the household. one year we decided on pillows and i went and got him this cute pillow with musical notes and lyrics from an elvis song ~ i love you ~ i want you ~ i need you ~ and i put little burgundy tassles on the corners of the pillow to personalize it. i wrapped it all beautiful in tissue and we exchanged the gifts to open and he had got the same exact pillow for me too! i thought that was very neat.
#20 of 22 Old 07-19-2003, 03:50 PM

out PERFECT proposal......................

Scott adn i met in SW MO. However we are both University of KS grads. He is older so we wern't there at the same time.

He is leaving for 6 months of federal law enforcement traing; we have been together a year, we decided I'd quit my job 70 miles away and move to his house to take care of house and dog while we is gone; then i"d move with him to POD.

I had a personal day to take or loose before leaving job. I told him about it; he said "well on Monday the XX I have to work in St L take the day off and come with me" so I asked off and we set it up.

Then his meeting was "canceclled" and he suggested we visit Lawrence where KU is since it has been a while since either of us was there.

---------note before this we'd looked at rings; he knew what I liked, but he said he was saving money, he wasn't sure what he liked, he wanted it to be perfect, and so on-------------

We got to KU in the afternoon on a Sunday. We walked campus with his lab and talked about classes and differences from when we were there in the 90's and everything.

We walked all over campus; holding hands; kissing a little and being sooo together.

About 9:30 when it was dark he suggests we take the dog to the poud so she can swim.

We go sit under lamp on bridge. He talks of love and me being his wife and our life together and our kids and holds me. -----------THEN he dropps down on one knee and asks me to marry him and slipps the most perfect ring on my hand.

I was totally surprised; and thrilled.

He told me when he was at KU hs sat in that very spot and wished for someone to love him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#21 of 22 Old 07-24-2003, 03:50 AM

Dh is a sweet Cancer boy and completely romantic.

This happen last summer-

I tried-on this beautiful dress that was just made for me. It was a gorgeous rose color made out of hemp & linen with a little ruffled V. sweet, sexy and ecological! I couldn't see buying it though because I really didn't have any occassion to wear it (and I was trying to be good).

Well...

I mentioned the dress in passing to dh and lamented a little, but that was that.

A couple days later...on a hanger in our closet...was THE DRESS!

Sweet, yes, but it gets better...

When he got home from work he asked me to try it on. Right around that time I heard him answer the door. Turns out, he had arranged for a friend to provide childcare while we had dinner at the most romantic place in town. Of course, I had just the thing to wear.
#22 of 22 Old 07-24-2003, 04:36 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
The most romantic thing anyone ever did for me was not actually my dh.

It was my ex. He drove 17 hours from Indiana to Denver, in time to get there for the show I was stage managing. He sat in the booth, on headset the whole show listening to me call the show. When I called the cue in the show, instead of my board operator responding (she was a mutual friend), he responded. I actually screamed backstage.

But that was the nicest, most wonderful, most romantic thing anyone has ever done for me.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page