Moms in their 20s? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 01-25-2006, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 26, will be 27 (on March 8) when this one is born. I had #3 at 25, #2 at 18 and #1 when I was 16.

Quote:
I was 16 when my first son was born. That was unplanned, obviously, but I loved everything to do with being a mother... I definitely got thrown into the "weird" category pretty fast though. Try explaining to your 16 year old classmates why you have to go pump in the middle of the school day... or why you're *still* nursing your two year old at graduation and so on...
That was me, except I got my GED...everyone thought I was a freak because I breastfed and used cloth diapers

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#32 of 42 Old 01-25-2006, 12:50 AM

I was 23 when I got married. 25 when I had DD and 26 when I had DS. I turned 27 a few months ago. I'll probably 29+ for #3.
#33 of 42 Old 01-25-2006, 01:27 AM

Ah Beth, so that is why I have been dragging today! I'll send some more energy, no prob bob!!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
#34 of 42 Old 01-25-2006, 06:08 PM

Okay, that actually made me laugh out loud sitting here.
#35 of 42 Old 01-29-2006, 04:15 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
hello....

im 21 too. i know how you feel. everyone says "your to young". the sad thing is we have been TTC for 1 year now and DH just left for iraq. so it is now put on hold till he gets home. i just got AF back and my MIL said to me " now you need to go on BC so you dont get preggo" such crap! it hurts to hear that when your TTC. i just cant wait to be a mam. i dont think my daycare kids arnt going to hold me over for much longer........lol

much love to you mama
Kelly

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#36 of 42 Old 01-29-2006, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug
hello....

im 21 too. i know how you feel. everyone says "your to young". the sad thing is we have been TTC for 1 year now and DH just left for iraq. so it is now put on hold till he gets home. i just got AF back and my MIL said to me " now you need to go on BC so you dont get preggo" such crap! it hurts to hear that when your TTC. i just cant wait to be a mam. i dont think my daycare kids arnt going to hold me over for much longer........lol

much love to you mama
Kelly
Sorry your efforts have been put on hold.
How long is dh in Iraq for? I bet you must worry a lot. It must be hard.

Anna , partner to Chad geek.gif , mommy to Aidan (10/12/04) and Nate (07/18/06) fencing.gif , and Violet fairy.gif(10/23/07) .

#37 of 42 Old 03-12-2006, 01:50 PM

I just turned 27 last week & am expecting #4, got pregnant with my first at 20, born at 21, had my second 10 months later, also at 21 & my third at 22. I feel a little better since we waited a few years, but I was still afraid to break the news to our families. I still have in my mind that they would think we were being irresponsible to have another baby when finances are tight. I don't think our finances would ever be so great & if we would wait til we could afford it we would never have kids. I definitely think we young moms have the advantage of our youth. My aunt had her first baby at 40 & now he is in high school & she cannot manage him at all. Both ways have their pluses & minuses & everyone needs to do what is best for them. It is nice to have this board to be able to see that I am not alone. I do feel like a lot of my friends cannot relate to me & we are growing apart, but hopefully someday soon they will catch up. My best friend is 28 & she & her husband waited 3 yrs to get their finances in order & now they find out that they cannot have a baby because his sperm count is too low. Their only hope is IVF & they cannot find the money for that. I feel horrible for her because I know how badly she wants kids, but at the same time it makes me so grateful for my own children. Whatever our ages we should be thankful that we have the ablilty to conceive because there are a lot of people out there who cannot.
#38 of 42 Old 03-12-2006, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Ice chick--

There's nothing wrong with getting your finances in order while having kids at the same time. I had the same worry about breaking the news to our families, but you know what? We still have plenty of time to get things settled. There are ways to get by, and it's probably good for our kids that we ca't buy them every single little thing out there, because I know sometimes it's tempting. As long as my kids are fed, clothed, and loved with a roof over their heads, I know they'll be fine, and the lack of luxuries can wait. They won't be used to getting them now, so later when it's possible, they still won't expect them and won't take things for granted the way a lot of other kids do.

Anna , partner to Chad geek.gif , mommy to Aidan (10/12/04) and Nate (07/18/06) fencing.gif , and Violet fairy.gif(10/23/07) .

#39 of 42 Old 03-13-2006, 02:41 AM

I don't know how I missed this thread the first time around! Anyway, I'm a 20 something mama too! I met dh at 14, married at 20, had my first baby right before my 22nd birthday and will be having our second at age 24! I like being a young mom for the most part but agree that most of our friends are just now starting to think about settling down with a long term partner...kids are still years off!
#40 of 42 Old 03-13-2006, 01:29 PM

I just saw this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksjhwkr
I'm in my 20's! Not for much longer, but I am going to hang on to them as long as I can! I will be 29 on Feb. 11th.
I had my first baby when I was 25 and my second at 27 and my third at 29! Notice a pattern here?

this is so funny as it's almost the same for me. DD1 just before my 25th, dd2 at 27 and 3rd dc at 29.

But my b-day is in Jan.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#41 of 42 Old 03-15-2006, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnskulinMama
Coming into this a little late, but I had to post!

I was 16 when my first son was born. That was unplanned, obviously, but I loved everything to do with being a mother... I definitely got thrown into the "weird" category pretty fast though. Try explaining to your 16 year old classmates why you have to go pump in the middle of the school day... or why you're *still* nursing your two year old at graduation and so on...

Now I'm 20, married (DH is 28), and having a baby in July that was planned instead of a surprise. Most people that know me don't give me any flack about having a second at 20 (they know I take pride in being a good mom)... Unfortunately, what I do get flack about is choosing to drop out of college to do it. Around here it seems okay to be a 30 year old SAHM, but not 20! It's especially frustrating because we are financially stable. It's not like we can't afford for me to stay home. (And I don't see the point of going into debt to get a degree that I won't use until my kids are older anyway... we'd rather spend the money on a house!)

Anyway, I'm rambling now... but yeah, it can be tough sometimes. I'm lucky to have a friend who also had kids young, so we can relate... Oh, and you'd be surprised how many older mothers misjudge your age! I guess some people expect young moms to be ignoring their kids or yelling at them instead of actually *caring* for them. I've got quite a few 30-something friends who thought I was in my late twenties when I was 18

I think the hardest thing is getting out there and finding other mothers, including older ones, to hook up with. Maybe that's because we still feel like the odd one out, even when we're not being treated like it?
This sounds a lot like my life! I was actually 16 when I got married, had my first at 18 and expecting my second when i'm 20. I often get asked why i decided to have babies so young instead of pursuing a career and i always say because a career I can have whenever, but someday my children will grow up and move away and then i'll make time for myself. My best friend from highschool is constantly making comments about what we can't afford and "how can I possibly live like that" but it's worth it to me to stay home and experience my dd life. It's always bothered me to be so young, not because of me but because of other people's comments. I just recently went to a partylite party and somebody made a comment about "naughty lady parties" and one woman looked at me and said "um excuse me watch your mouth!" She thought I was 12 or 13! And somebody had to point out that was my daughter running around. I just hate it when people assume my daughter is my sister or something, I'm like nope I get credit for that one! Anyway, nice to see other young mom's out there!!
#42 of 42 Old 03-15-2006, 01:46 PM

In this thread, I feel old for having my 1st and I'm only 27! However, I'm the first of ANY of my friends to have a baby. All my friends from college, high school, and those I've met in the 5 years since college are either not married or in any sort of serious relationship, they are pursuing a career, or still in school getting masters degrees and Ph.D.s. I was ready a couple years ago to start having kids, but DH is an only child and he is a little hesitant about kids and how it will change everything. I grew up in a family of 6 kids (a mix of birth and adopted) with foster children coming and going all the time. Sometimes I felt like I lived in a zoo, but there was never a dull moment!

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page