Enlarged ventricles here too :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-14-2006, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, MissJuice- I'm really glad I read your thread last night so I didn't freak out when my midwife called She said the lateral ventricles were "within normal range, but prominent" ?? she said "talk to your husband, and let me know if you want to do a follow up in 4 weeks or so." she didn't seem that concerned, and didn't seem to want to do anything else.....now I'm reading up like crazy, 'cause I barely know what a ventricle is

Sheesh it's kind of stressful....I've never had anything like this happen. If anyone has any useful info for me, I'd really appreciate it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 11:52 PM

No useful info, just
Old 03-15-2006, 12:15 AM

Kim,

and please try not to stress too much. Here are some very helpful things I have found:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

http://www.thefetus.net/page.php?id=91

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB...name=85086.pdf

http://www.contemporaryobgyn.net/obg....jsp?id=123815

I finally talked to my midwife yesterday, and she was really really calm. She stressed the fact that we are talking about NORMAL results. Upper end of normal, yes, but still normal. She said (and she'd already gotten a second opinion from her backup doc) that there was no need to worry or do anything else testingwise, just do the follow-up ultrasound. At this point I am really not worried. I'll be glad when the time has passed and we can follow up, but I'm not stressed today (at least not about that )

One thing I noticed was that several sources stated that males have larger ventricles than females, so if you've got a boy in there (we don't know) then it's like 95% no problems, and that's when you get to the borderline range, which you aren't even in.

Try not to worry, and let me know what you come up with, too. It's better not to feel so alone.

ETA this is the kind of thing that makes me want to give up on testing altogether! To think that the doc who did my US actually suggested that there was a possibility I might need to...*shudder*. I know prenatal testing catches a lot of things that wouldn't be found otherwise, but it also causes a lot lot LOT of unnecessary stress.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:46 AM

i have no useful info, just hugs. it is so easy to listen to the stressful part and not hear that your midwife doesn't sound concerned--if only it were so easy to focus on the positive part of the message! i am going in for genetic counselling tomorrow based on my u/s results, my midwife is not concerned at all (other than the fact that the whole ordeal has stressed me out so much ) so i am also trying to heed this advice!!
Old 03-15-2006, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Thanks especially for those links- that was really helpful. I wish that she had known the numbers, (my midwife) she didn't have any- I'm wondering if I could call and find out? If they are within the normal range, then I guess that means smaller than 10 mm? It sounded like this was a pretty inexact science, like most prenatal testing....

I think it's a girl....I watched the whole ultrasound and I was pretty sure so that makes me a little more concerned but not too much....but I am slightly stressed by it. 4 weeks seems like a long time now!

tigress, genetic counseling....so sorry you have to go through that!

The saddest thing was reading about the babies that were aborted and then the autopsies found they were normal I would want to know if there were something wrong, but only to prepare myself....

I guess I'll have an update next month.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:28 PM

to both of you. I can't wait to hear that everything is a-ok next month.

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

Old 03-16-2006, 04:08 AM

I bet everything turns out just fine
Old 03-17-2006, 02:03 PM
~pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom
to both of you. I can't wait to hear that everything is a-ok next month.
:

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

Old 03-17-2006, 03:25 PM

Old 03-19-2006, 05:27 PM

Sorry you have this stress, Vanilla. As much as i wish Miss Juice wasn't going through this too, but at least she's got a lot of information to share with you.
to you two mama's and your little inutero's. i really feel both are going to be alright.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla
I wish that she had known the numbers, (my midwife) she didn't have any- I'm wondering if I could call and find out? If they are within the normal range, then I guess that means smaller than 10 mm? It sounded like this was a pretty inexact science, like most prenatal testing....
I bet you could call and find out if you really want to. It should be in the US report. My understanding is that "normal but prominent" (which was EXACTLY what the doc who did our US said) means 8-10 or 9-10mm. So yep, under 10.

I keep reminding myself that the prognosis in the borderline group is still really really good, and that we aren't even IN the borderline group.

I really feel that both of these babies will be just fine, too.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:52 PM

When I was pregnant with my second my u/s showed an abnormal HC/AC (head circumference vs. abdominal circumference) result. The doctor said that it just meant that I had a skinny baby in there and that if we wanted we could do another u/s at 28 weeks. Of course, I couldn't just relax and leave it alone, I had to go online and root around and find all the scary things from IUGR to hydrocephely and all sorts of brain issues. Yeah, I shouldn't have done that. I called the doctor back and told them that I was really concerned and she read me the radiologists findings word for word, including the actual normal range and where my babe fell. I was about .04 above the normal range and even the radiologist wasn't concerned.

What I had to remember is that when the tech is doing the readings, they are just humans and are taking the readings from a fuzzy computer screen. Just having that little X starting point slightly off can throw the whole reading off. When I went back in at 28 weeks I could see for myself on the screen that the reading was smack dab in the normal range.

Fwiw, he was 9 pounds and 22 inches long. I'm not sure that exactly qualifies as "skinny."

User Tag List