Anyone else mourn the loss of pre-PG body? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-21-2006, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not a vein person, but I can see some major permanent changes that pregnancy is making on my body and I'm not liking it. Lots of stretch marks (darn genes), larger boobs (I liked mine small), and being bigger all over (but I've gained a very appropriate amount). I have always wanted several children, and I knew that changes were coming, but I didn't know I'd have such a hard time coping with my body changes. DH thinks I'm silly for reacting this way (luckily he thinks the changes are great b/c it is just evidence that I'm becoming a mommy). I've always been an athlete who never had any body image issues, so this is quite a change for me.

Anyone else go through this? What helped you?

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 04-21-2006, 04:26 PM

yeah, I have gone through it some and I am not particularly vein either. I have a really hard time for those first 2-3 mo after birth when I am just squishier. I love to exercise, but can't much at all when I am preg b/c of complications I have had in prior pregnancies, so I feel like I am starting at negative square one after birth. I don't lose sleep over it or anything, but I certainly don't like that part. I am kinda afraid of the 'twin skin' others have talked about that have had twins. I have dodged the stretchmarks so far, but my boobs keep heading farther south. It is all TOTALLY worth it, but I feel your pain.

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#3 of 13 Old 04-21-2006, 04:32 PM

I think the hard part for me is that it's such a rapid change over such a short time. I had JUST started fitting into my pre-pregnancy clothes when I found out I was pregnant again! I tend to feel better when I get some exercise. I've been trying not to worry about it though...my body is doing something amazing, and it's my job to just feed it healthy foods and love it.
#4 of 13 Old 04-21-2006, 06:26 PM

I'm not ashamed to admit that I can be a little bit vain. I can be hard on myself at times. Pregnancy has been refreshing for me, although its not an excuse to indulge, I feel that my changing body is mellowing me out. Its changing the ideals I have about my appearance. The only thing I've noticed is that my legs have gotten thicker and I have thigh cellulite. I used to run and kickbox and have gone to very little activity since my back hurts so much. I don't really see it being diffieult to get my body back in shape after I have the baby. So I try not to let it stress me out. It will be changed forever but theres no reason you can't get back in shape!

Take heart! Enjoy the plump loveliness and then know that there will come a day that you can be selfish about your figure again!

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#5 of 13 Old 04-22-2006, 01:34 AM

I'm not sure I'd call it vain...I definitely have issues. I was a professional dancer and circus performer. I gained 60 pounds with my first. 60 FREAKIN' POUNDS! I never lost it, as I got pregnant again when ds was six months old. I had lost alot of it when I unexpectedly got pregnant again. I miss my body. Not because it looked better (though it did) but becasue it FELT better. I am uncomfortable now. I ache and don't like the way my whole body feels. I can't wait to lose it. Luckily DH is a personal trainer and we own a gym. If only I could go a couple of years without being pregnant Seriously though, I just don't feel healthy-and I'm not huge or anything.
#6 of 13 Old 04-22-2006, 02:10 AM

With my first pregnancy I didn't mind the changes so much. I didn't notice very many except a huge belly and a lot of round ligament pain...and my tush got a bit fuller. This time around, my thighs are fatter, my arms are flabbier, my bum is too big, my belly is waaay bigger than last time at this stage. I'm having to unbutton the maternity pants that I wore until the very end last time, and I'm only 26 weeks! And my hips are aching like crazy. And I guess I really don't mind the changes that much while I'm pregnant....it's the afterwards part. And it will just be worse this time because I'm so much more flabby this time around. But when I look at DS1, it is sooooo worth it. My body is just a temporary vessel, my children are forever. I just hope I can escape the stretchmarks this time around too! They make me nervous.
#7 of 13 Old 04-22-2006, 12:27 PM
~pi

First, I don't think it's vanity. As I see it, you liked your body before, now it's changing a lot, and that's scary because what if you don't like it as much afterwards? It's such a big unknown, and those fears might even be masking fears about becoming a mother and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewaneecook
I've always been an athlete who never had any body image issues, so this is quite a change for me.

Anyone else go through this? What helped you?
I think especially for women who are athletes and are used to thinking this way, it's helpful to focus more on what your body can do, and how that affects how it looks. When I see my bigger-by-the-day belly, I try to think about the babe inside and how my body is providing a safe place for him/her to grow, and it makes me feel good and helps me to really appreciate and respect my pregnant body.

That's how I've been approaching it, and I find it really helpful in everything, not just in pregnancy. (It may be a different story for me, though, since I *did* have major body image issues as a teen and partway into my twenties, and it was largely through sports -- i.e. a lot of focus on body performance rather than body appearance -- that I got over them.)

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#8 of 13 Old 04-22-2006, 12:30 PM
~pi

P.S. Re: stretchmarks, according to my MW at my last appointment, stretchmarks usually happen in skin that resists wrinkles. So it's too bad for the belly/hips, but great for the face!

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#9 of 13 Old 04-22-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi
P.S. Re: stretchmarks, according to my MW at my last appointment, stretchmarks usually happen in skin that resists wrinkles. So it's too bad for the belly/hips, but great for the face!
Crap! So I am gonna be all wrinkley!

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#10 of 13 Old 04-22-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi

Crap! So I am gonna be all wrinkley!
See, now I was told that if you tended towards oily skin that you wouldn't have issues with either stretch marks, or wrinkles. So far, I don't have any stretch marks. I HAD some on my hips, and those have extended, but it's about 4 lines on each side, and they have extended about 1/2 inch. So, I am not to worried.

I am not terribly vain, and I do miss my pre-pregnancy body (even though I was overweight when I started) (I weighed 169 lbs when I became pregnant....not exactly slender....but I was actually getting to be quite comfortable with it!), BUT:

I LOVE the way my body looks now. There is something so beautiful, and so womanly about it. Maybe it's because this is my first one, and the novelty will wear off after this, but I simply can't get enough of it! Sure my boobs are drooping too, and my hips are widening, and my back fat is .... well getting fatter, and my butt has reached gigantic proportions. I look like a Grecian Goddess as far as I am concerned! And I had huge body issues before I became pregnant. Never happy with it, always thought I was too fat, and my hips were huge, and my chest didn't feel proportioned, and and and and. But, now I feel very at home, and very feminine.

I don't know, I guess that to me, it's what I have been trying for going on three years now. We had a hard time getting pregnant, and so now that it's finally here, I am living in every moment of it, and damn it all to hell what it does to my body!

#11 of 13 Old 04-22-2006, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

I really like the look of my preggo body, it's all the stuff that will "stick" after pregnancy that I'm having trouble ajusting to. The stretch marks are what bother me the most (my boobs read like a road map!), so far they haven't travelled southward to my belly ... but give it time!

Maria, this is really good to know:
Quote:
I guess this means no more bikinis, but I'll have radiant facial skin well in to a ripe old age (very contrary to the rest of my family).

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#12 of 13 Old 04-23-2006, 10:37 PM

I am the same way. Even though I have zero strech marks I still don't like my pregnant body. Or at least I don't enjoy it particulary.
BUT I have to say I really really enjoyed what the pregnancy did to my body after the baby was born.
I looked TOTALLY different than before. After I lost all the weight and more my body looked way more feminine that it ever did before I got pregnant. My curves were just beautiful (not trying to be vein here either)! My hips looked different, my weist, my but was much smaller - my body just had a whole new shape to it!! Much sexier and much more feminine looking then ever before.
So I hope it will duble the beauty after the second one!!

But I am right there with you....I want my non-pregnant body back!! I just don't like the way it feels being pregnant and big.
#13 of 13 Old 04-23-2006, 11:24 PM

You know, I love my pregnant body because it is ok for me to have a belly! But, I had lost quite a bit of weight and was working on getting in shape when I got pregnant with this baby. So, I do mourn that part of it. I also look at pictures before I had Emma, when I was first pregnant (before stretch marks!) and I mourn that belly too.
I just have decided that it's the price I pay for having such wonderful kiddos. It is hard to see your body change and know that it won't be the same again...but I promise, it is worth it!!! every stretch mark...I started calling them love marks, made it easier for me!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page