My hemoglobin is VERY low - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 05-06-2006, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I saw my midwife on Thursday and she was checking my blood.....let
s just say I need to do something about ym diet NOW!
My hemoglobin was alarming 8.9!!! She thought it read it wrong so she did it twice and nope, it's was the same the second time. She could not believe how low it was and was wondering if I was feeling ok.
Then I had a glucose in my pee and very high blood suger levels too.....which stupid me I had something very sweek couple hours prior the visit.
Anyway......I need to eat more greens that's for sure, but does anyone have any other advice on what to eat to get the iron up?
#2 of 19 Old 05-06-2006, 04:27 PM

my iron is really low too so just reintroduced kale, beets, and quinoa into my diet. i like quinoa because it is so versatile. i make a pot of it in the morning (cooks like rice) and have it for breakfast either as a hot cereal with rice milk and fruit or lightly salted like grits with an egg. and then i eat the rest for lunch or dinner just like rice. it is softer and fluffier than rice. it is one of those foods i love and forget about for months. but i always come back to it.

and i think the fiber is going to come in handy while i am also taking iron supplements.

http://www.wholegrain.umn.edu/grains/quinoa.cfm
#3 of 19 Old 05-06-2006, 06:16 PM

You can add cooked spinich to your lasagnas, eggs, spaghetti sauces (blend into sauce). Add baby spinich to your salads, eat spinich and mandarin orange salads. If you eat meat, red meat is a great source.

http://www.bloodbook.com/iron-foods.html
I would google Foods high in iron and check out what comes up. There are tons of articles!

avoid drinking tea with iron rich meals, something in the tea inhibits iron absorption.

Total cereal and cream of wheat have high levels of iron (I just read that, didn't know that before )

Mama crochetsmilie.gifto Max blahblah.gif9, Neva hearts.gif 7, & Esme fairy.gif4 and Julius guitar.gif 2.

#4 of 19 Old 05-06-2006, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max'sMama
You can add cooked spinich to your lasagnas, eggs, spaghetti sauces (blend into sauce). Add baby spinich to your salads, eat spinich and mandarin orange salads. If you eat meat, red meat is a great source.

http://www.bloodbook.com/iron-foods.html
I would google Foods high in iron and check out what comes up. There are tons of articles!

avoid drinking tea with iron rich meals, something in the tea inhibits iron absorption.

Total cereal and cream of wheat have high levels of iron (I just read that, didn't know that before )
Thanks for the link! Good info!! I LOVE cream of wheat!
#5 of 19 Old 05-06-2006, 10:12 PM

Are you taking an iron supplement? It's really hard to get your levels up with diet alone, especially in a shorter amount of time.
Good dietary sources, though, are also molasses (you can mix it into milk), dried apricots, chard, ...
Floradix is a great supplement.

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#6 of 19 Old 05-06-2006, 11:07 PM

I put Rapadura in my (organic decaf) coffee every morning. It has a lot of iron, just like blackstrap molasses. I actually ran out a week or so ago and need to get more!
#7 of 19 Old 05-06-2006, 11:45 PM

Not in your month, but I wanted to add, my midwives told me to take my cal/mag supplement at a different time of day from my prenatal vitamins because the calcium makes it harder for the iron to absorb. So I take one in the morning and one at night. Also, there's surprising amounts of iron in high quality dark chocolate ice cream (HAS to be the good stuff, not the loaded with sugar cheap stuff) and any fortified kids' cereal. Like cinnamon toast crunch. But you didn't hear this from me...
#8 of 19 Old 05-07-2006, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In addition to the great recommendations above, go buy an iron skillet to cook your meals in. Great way to boost the iron content of foods that don't contain much iron. Very easy way to supplement the extra spinach and other leafy greens each day. If they are a part of your diet, eating two eggs each day should help as well.

I take a vegetarian hematinic supplement called Hemaplex. My level was recently 10.8. Not as low as yours, but borderline. My midwife suggested not taking it at the same time as my prenatal vitamin and taking it with vitamin C because it aids in the absorption of iron. Maybe a good vegetable-based supplement (because they do not have the constipation side effect), a spinach salad with a glass of OJ every day and the rest of your meals cooked in an iron skillet?
#9 of 19 Old 05-07-2006, 12:57 AM

if you can stomach it (personnally, i can't but some people can) liver has outrageously high iron.

also aviva jill romm suggests in her book (The Natural Pregnancy Book) making an Iron Tonic Syrup which is made with dandelion root, yellow dock root (very high in iron) and blackstrap molassas.

during my first pregnancy, my levels were low despite supplementing until my midwife told me to mix 1 tbls. of blackstrap molassas and a squeeze of lemon juice in a glass of ice water and down it twice a day. fixed my iron much better than any iron pills w/o the constipation.

floradix is also good like a PP said. you should be able to find that at a natural foods store.

red raspberry leaf, nettles and alfalfa can help too.

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#10 of 19 Old 05-07-2006, 07:10 AM

Remember that vit c with the iron helps absorbtion - I rely on eggs, spinach and nettles, which are nice and juicy at this time of year!!

But I must admit I haven't checked my levels of anything since the very beginning of pregnancy so maybe I'm also walking round half-anemic and just don't know it....
#11 of 19 Old 05-07-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
if you can stomach it (personnally, i can't but some people can) liver has outrageously high iron.

From the link posted:
Quote:
** Pregnant women should not eat liver because of its very high Vitamin
A content. Large amounts of Vitamin A can be harmful to the baby
#12 of 19 Old 05-07-2006, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsmyjob
From the link posted:
It is recommened for pregnant women to eat livers once a week. Even Brewer diet recommeneds it: http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/brewerdiet.shtml

I do have a iron skillet - that's the only skillet I cook in. I do eat chicken livers, I LOVE them. I had them twice in a row right before my midwife's appointment! I wonder if my iron would be even lower if I have not had eaten those!

I just have to get back on my suplemments intake, I stopped useing everything. So I hope things will go back to normal once I start using it again.
I make sure I eat lots of dark greens and spinich now.
Now I know why I have been having arrhythmia for past few months!!
#13 of 19 Old 05-07-2006, 02:52 PM

Just pointing out what it said for you I don't eat meat
#14 of 19 Old 05-07-2006, 02:55 PM

I've heard Floradix is a good supplement.
#15 of 19 Old 05-07-2006, 05:49 PM

I take Floradix. Its not too bad and my average levels have gone up a bit since starting it. Its rather expensive though.....

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#16 of 19 Old 05-07-2006, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeMummytoLore
also aviva jill romm suggests in her book (The Natural Pregnancy Book) making an Iron Tonic Syrup which is made with dandelion root, yellow dock root (very high in iron) and blackstrap molassas.
I keep this stuff in the fridge and take 2TBS daily w/ OJ.

Also kale is veggie I eat on a regular basis~ at least 3-4x a week.

Take an herbal iron supplement w/ Vit C to help absorption, avoid taking it w/ calcium which interferes w/ it.

I'm vegan and my last HGB was 13.8. Veg sources of iron are a whole lot more assimilable than animal sources.

Ashley~certified nurse-midwife mama to 6 little novaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpglotbirth.gif loves, including sweet Cordelia Jane born at home waterbirth.jpgon 11/12/10.
#17 of 19 Old 05-24-2006, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Bringing this up to add something I just learned today.
I go to a homeopathic forum (ABC homeopathy) where they have some great homeopathy doctors to help out and learned about Cell salts - homeopathic dilutions of minerals that can be used instead of supplments.

So for those with low iron this is what you wanna get for yuorself!
It's called FERRUM PHOSPHATE (iron) and you can read more about it here:

http://www.elixirs.com/products.cfm?productcode=ST20L

And here is more about Cell Salts in general. It's very interesting!! I have been into homeopathy ofr over 10 years and I don't understand how I managed to skip this part!!

http://www.elixirs.com/cellsalts.cfm

I am going to Whole Foods and getting it TODAY!!
#18 of 19 Old 05-24-2006, 10:14 AM

Do you know what your ferritin level is? There is something called hemachromatosis (not rare at all), where you actually have high levels of iron in your system, but your hemoglobin is reading low. It can cause higher blood sugars as well. Before supplementing I would take a look at a ferritin level. Likely, you are just iron-deficient, but since you seem to have some sources of iron in your diet, and the result was surprising, it may be worth a look.

I second the recommendation for tissue salts if you are anemic.
#19 of 19 Old 05-24-2006, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynnMarilynn
Do you know what your ferritin level is? There is something called hemachromatosis (not rare at all), where you actually have high levels of iron in your system, but your hemoglobin is reading low. It can cause higher blood sugars as well. Before supplementing I would take a look at a ferritin level. Likely, you are just iron-deficient, but since you seem to have some sources of iron in your diet, and the result was surprising, it may be worth a look.

I second the recommendation for tissue salts if you are anemic.
I don't think it's my case. I did have some source of iron in my food before the reading, but that was it. I was really slacking my diet prior that.

I have been anemic most of my life. I had liver disease twice so it does not surprise me to have a low iron. But as I said, I have been really bad with my diet and supplements prior my last midwife visit. I can already feel the difference now 3 weeks later of a good diet and regular supplements.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page