Natural labor inducers ... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-15-2006, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At my m/w appt last week, I expressed some concern about going over 42 wks (at which time, they are required to artificially induce in order to keep the birth center state licensure ... crappy law in my mind). The m/w gave some great suggestions, some of which I'd not heard before. I thought I'd spread the word and see what others are out there.

Usine Evening Primrose Oil capsules as vaginal suppositories (2-3) inserted at night (and to wear a pad b/c it can leak out), and even better if you can DTD while they are inserted. She also said to take a capsule orally at night.

Alternating Black Cohosh and Blue Cohosh in their homeopathic forms, not the herbal forms. One day black, the next day blue (one dose/day)...

Drinking red raspberry leaf tea. However, this can cause some cramping that some women don't like.

Then there's always nipple stimulation and DTD!

She recommended starting these things at 38 wks.

Any others out there?

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 05-15-2006, 01:56 PM

I wouldn't start anything at 38 weeks, especially with a first baby. A body not ready to labor, will not labor well. Whether you use natural methods or pitocin or whatever. I have seen many a m om as an apprentice who tried to force her labor and it was awful. Others may have good stories for you. But I haven't seen even a natural induction work well, except when the mom was actually 42 weeks. I think it would be better to try natural induction versus something unnatural. But usually when your body is ready, what gets thte baby in, gets the baby out. You could also try spicy meal, a brisk walk and vigorous lovemaking.

Jessica, mama to Emma, 7, Mattie, 5.5 and Lilly, 3 and someone new this Halloween-ish.

#3 of 14 Old 05-15-2006, 02:09 PM

My cousin tried to naturally induce herself at 36 weeks because her husband was leaving for military training before her due date. She tried EPO, sex, caster oil, sweeping membranes, and started and stopped labor several times. Eventually they just did pitocin a week before her due date and apparently she ended up with a VERY difficult labor and morphine. I haven't let her tell me any of the details yet because I'm trying to keep my head clear. But I think its a pretty good clue that nothing will get baby out till baby is ready!

Although I would be willing to try these things (minus the pitocin) after my due date......

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#4 of 14 Old 05-15-2006, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

It is my understanding of most of the natural labor inducers that they won't work unless the baby is ready. They are what puts a woman who is on the border over the edge. Is this not the case? The m/w said not to do castor oil or sweeping the membranes until there is already dialation and effacement. If nothing is happening castor oil will just give you the runs (and won't help things along) and sweeping the membranes is more invasive than they like to do prior trying the other things first.

Laura, Troy, Seth 6.24.06 , and Aaron 7.13.09
#5 of 14 Old 05-15-2006, 02:29 PM

Last time i started taking EPO - orally about a week before my EDD - not so much to induce but more to make sure the right stuff was there for my body to make the prostaglandins it needs when the time came.
I have heard that oral sex - basically you swallowing is better than actually DTD :Puke
My homeopath told me to take Caulophyllum 200c every day for a week before my EDD. ds was born on his due date so it may have worked...

My friend was overdue and did the works - she said curry was such a bad idea as she didn't know if the pain was labour or tummy ache and she had to keep on running to the toilet = lets just say it was very cleansing!

Mummy to T 06/04, L 08/06, R 08/09
:
#6 of 14 Old 05-15-2006, 02:35 PM

I'm confused about the RRL tea recommendation. It is recommended to drink this throughout pregnancy (I have a cup every day) - so why would it suddenly cause labor to begin?
#7 of 14 Old 05-15-2006, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think the term "Natural Labor Inducer" is an oxymoron. The baby comes when it is time and even natural substances mess with the motherbaby balance. Stupid rules to get mamas all uptight doesn't help labor get started at all. The more anxious you are of going OVER the more likely you WILL. What do you need to birth? To feel Safety and Security, your baby will get that message too from you and will feel free to start labor when the time is right. Would you be willing to stay home for your birth if you don't fit the rules of the birth center?
#8 of 14 Old 05-15-2006, 02:39 PM

I did EPO with Seth and it worked!! I did 6 capsules at night vaginally and took 3 orally in the morning. This will work to get you ripe. A really good orgasm will help get those contractions going.
My m/w doesn't recommend the cohashes...they can be a bit too rough.
But, with all things, they won't work unless your body and baby are ready. Hope this helps!

As for the rrl tea, that won't stimulate labor. It just helps to tone your uterus.

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
#9 of 14 Old 05-15-2006, 03:49 PM

I am so jealous of all of you who are going to DTD...

Since my little ordeal, I am on pelvic rest... Lets just say I am not too happy, and either is DH. He doesn't make me drink as much water as I asked him to, but he definately will not give it up to me He won't even let me touch him

Mary
#10 of 14 Old 05-15-2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleduck
I have heard that oral sex - basically you swallowing is better than actually DTD
I have heard this too, but until someone gives me a good explanation as to why that would be, I have to assume this is the work of a very clever and somewhat conniving DH.

I'm more than happy to be wrong, but the first time I heard that my response was, "Who told you that, your husband??"
#11 of 14 Old 05-15-2006, 05:00 PM

I had the same issue with baby #3. I tried sex, EPO, nipple stim, etc...nothing worked!! My baby ended up being 6 days overdue. My m/w said that in most cases, your body will know what to do when ready, sometimes it's beyond your control. DON'T STRESS!! Just think of your baby growing stronger and healthier each day, you probably will not go past 42 weeks. Just relax and enjoy this time...before you know it, it will be over and you will miss feeling your baby in your tummy! Good luck!!!
#12 of 14 Old 05-15-2006, 05:21 PM

I did the EPO capsules from like 36 weeks and on. Not to induce labor at all, just to soften things up to let my cervix be more ready when my body was. Won't do it this time at all. I refuse to mess with my body.

ETA: My bad, I didn't see this was a ddc.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1
#13 of 14 Old 05-16-2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Juice
I have heard this too, but until someone gives me a good explanation as to why that would be, I have to assume this is the work of a very clever and somewhat conniving DH.

I'm more than happy to be wrong, but the first time I heard that my response was, "Who told you that, your husband??"
: I totally agree with you Jessica!

Kim, Mama to 4 and 1 more on the way!
#14 of 14 Old 05-16-2006, 08:38 PM

I agree

I went 2 weeks over my dd with my last DS..it really didn't bother me other than everyone else in my ddc had delivered.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page