Sore hands? Especially in the morning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-11-2006, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I noticed a bit of swelling in my hands and feet a few weeks ago, but not much- it isn't really too noticeable. What I HAVE noticed however is the pain that comes with the swelling in my hands- when I wake up in the middle of the night or in the morning it is especially bad- I can hardly make a fist. And it is weird because my hands don't *look* that swollen at all. The pain gradually gets better throughout the day, but they almost feel bruised. Anyone else experience this?

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-11-2006, 01:10 PM

I know exactly what you're talking about. I keep a water bottle next to my bed at night and some nights I can barely unscrew the lid. I think mine is related to all the knitting I do-my midwife said pregnant women that use their hands a lot experience symptoms similiar to carpal tunnel syndrome. Typing, I'm sure, could be another cause of it. I wish I knew of something you could do to ease the pain....sorry. My midwifes cure all response "drink more water!!!"
#3 of 5 Old 06-11-2006, 01:16 PM

I've heard the pregnancy carpal tunnel thing too.

I get up with sore wrists and hands in the morning because I tend to curl up whichever hand/ arm is under me while I'm sleeping. It helps to wear a splint to keep my wrist straight... it goes over my whole palm and a few inches up my wrist. That keeps me in a good position and seems to prevent my hand from curling too.
#4 of 5 Old 06-11-2006, 01:46 PM

when i was pregnant with my son, i got carpal tunnel (pregnancy-related, it seems) for the last three months. at night, i wore wrist braces that i got at the drug store on the recommendation of my chiro, and they really helped me get through more of the morning and day without pain. i'll see if i can find them and tell you what they were. i don't know what it is i'm doing differently this time, but i noticed that i've only had one or two mornings of pain ... and almost no swelling this time. differences i can think of right now are: extra EFAs, rrl and nettle tea.
#5 of 5 Old 06-11-2006, 02:35 PM

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is actually very common in pregnant women. The swelling in hands can directly pinch the ligaments, especially when retaining water, and pinch that hand-controlling nerve and creates pain pressure and decreased mobility in your hand.

Best things to do to alleviate are the same as water retention.

1)Magnesium supplements - a fast absorbing one especially, like magnesium glycinate, gluconate, citrate asparate ect...Start doses slowly with food, and increase until you notice swelling and pain decreasing. But, reduce doses if you notice any diarrhea, fatigue or muscle weakness.

2)If you choose to take magnesium, you may want to add a good dose of vitamin B complex too, about 25 to 50 mg, it increases the efficiency of magnesium supplements.

3)Evening Primrose oil capsules will also bring down swelling and discomfort. 125 mg should do the trick.

And my favorite - ACCUPUNCTURE!! Try that out, and hopefully you should be able to alleviate some of the symptoms. That can be so irritating, I had that too with this one. But, alot of the above helped me out quite a bit.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page