Leg Cramps! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-26-2006, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lately I've had the most awful leg cramps at night or when I first wake up. This morning was the worst. It would start to feel better and I could feel the calf muscle still contracting and releasing. Oh, my, how painful! I haven't had any like these since my first baby. I didn't have any for the second one. I am flexing my foot during a cramp, but I can't seem to recall what to do about prevention.

I'm finding that I am also much more achey in general at night. It's hard to walk from the bed to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Isn't there a supplement that is good for cramps? I just can't recall what I've already heard. Any help would be great!
#2 of 12 Old 06-26-2006, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes there is a supplement! I was having the same issues and my midwife recommended taking a calcium/magnesium combo. I take this one (two tablets per day) and it has really helped!
#3 of 12 Old 06-26-2006, 05:28 PM

I agree on upping the calcium...and potassium! I was having horrid calf spasms too (ones that were deforming my toes during an "attack" because they went right into my feet). I started with a banana a day and some extra dairy and it made a HUGE difference. I still get a few here and there but I'm usually able to stretch them out before they get too bad.
#4 of 12 Old 06-26-2006, 06:06 PM

Mine are starting too. I had to up my calcium magnesium dose.
The worst part was having those DURING labor!!!!
#5 of 12 Old 06-26-2006, 07:12 PM

RRL tea and nettle tea are also good at preventing leg cramps...
#6 of 12 Old 06-26-2006, 08:19 PM
~pi

Ditto on the cal/mag.

Re: during labour, I haven't had a chance to try it yet for effectiveness, but in my package from the midwives clinic was a recipe for "Labourade" which involves equal parts honey and lemon juice (I think 1/3 cup each), a little bit of baking soda (1 tsp), enough water to make 2 litres (8 cups) and then you add the contents of a cal/mag supplement. You can drink it as a liquid or freeze it as pops.

professor & maman de DS1 (6) & DS2 (1)

#7 of 12 Old 06-26-2006, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi
Ditto on the cal/mag.

Re: during labour, I haven't had a chance to try it yet for effectiveness, but in my package from the midwives clinic was a recipe for "Labourade" which involves equal parts honey and lemon juice (I think 1/3 cup each), a little bit of baking soda (1 tsp), enough water to make 2 litres (8 cups) and then you add the contents of a cal/mag supplement. You can drink it as a liquid or freeze it as pops.
Thanks for that recipe! I think the problem I had was that I was drinking only water - I was really low in sugar and of course calcium, which I have not been taking at all during my first pregnancy.
When I was pushing and started to have cramps in my calfs - that really freaked me out and made everything so much worse!! I would have pushed him out much faster if I did not have to "let go" to stop the cramp from going futher! I knew if I would cramp all the way I'd end up in hospital because calf cramps are VERY painful.
#8 of 12 Old 06-26-2006, 09:24 PM

Ditto on the calc/mag. I was getting them every night until I started taking those and it's helped tremendously with my swelling. I haven't had a cramp in weeks!
#9 of 12 Old 06-26-2006, 10:09 PM

I just finished my evening cocktail of RRL/nettle tea (iced) and two cal-mag caps. I started this a few weeks ago when I was having bad cramping, after the wonderful mamas here made some suggestions Well, it worked so well I forgot to keep it up, and the cramps returned over the past couple of days. So more tea for me! Plus it's yummmmmy.
#10 of 12 Old 06-27-2006, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

I've been slacking in the RRL tea department. I need to get back on the wagon with the tea! Thanks, ladies! You are all so supportive. Never knew how much I could use the support of a DDC before, even though this is my third baby.
#11 of 12 Old 06-27-2006, 09:31 AM

oh, I'm headed for the calcium right now....I've been waking up every morning to horrible leg cramps, usually in both legs- OUCH
#12 of 12 Old 06-29-2006, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

I wanted to share an easy recommendation from my midwife for the cal/mag issue. She suggested that before I try another supplement (gosh, I'm taking so much stuff...lol) that I try just the magnesium. She suggested that I take a bath in epsom salts before bed to absorb some magnesium that way.

I think I may have been a little dehydrated. I focused more on water consumption and haven't had a cramp yet. I also took my prenatal at bedtime. I have to seperate out all my meds/supplements anyway (thyroid, iron, prenatals, etc) because of interference with absorption. So a hot bath and a vitamin before bed, along with increased water during the day helped a lot.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page