Mothering Forum banner

Seth Robert's birth story ...

763 views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  sewaneecook 
#1 ·
It's taken me a little longer to get back to the computer after the birth than I had anticipated. Seth is a bit fussy and needs lots of mama time!

Last Thursday I had a chiro appt and afterward, I noticed that I was breathing better, but had to pee all the time ... the baby had dropped. Then Friday I posted that I thought I was losing my plug and it certainly was! Friday night I went to a friend's birthday party in an non-air conditioned house (who still has that in southern Tennessee?) and I think I got a bit dehydrated from it. Saturday morning (one day shy of being 38 wks) I woke up feeling really achy and I hadn't slept well from having to pee about 10 times in the night. So I took a bath to help me to relax. I felt worse afterward and noticed I had a fever and I was having ctx that were 20-30 seconds long and about 5-10 minutes apart (I think that was about 10:30 AM). I called the birth center and the m/w told me to take some tylenol to help with the fever and to keep them posted on how I was doing. I was trying to drink lots of water, but anything I ate or drank kept coming back up. It was at this point (before the fever had broken) that I could completely understand the need for pain meds. I was completely miserable and the ctx hurt a LOT more than I thought they would. The ctx continued to strengthen and get more frequent, but the fever broke and the achiness went away and I felt so much better. I called the m/w again around 2:30 and they said I may want to come on in. We got our stuff together (we didn't have much prepared since I was fully expecting to be late!) and left around 4:00. The drive to the birth center was the easiest part of the labor (it's about a 90 min drive). The slightly reclined car seat cuddled up to a body pillow and the rhythm of the car helped to relax me. A few minutes before getting to the center I thought I was peeing my pants when I realized my water must have broken (luckily I was sitting on towels and a trash bag just in case!). I got in to a warm bath tub while the labor pool was filling up at the birth center and I got in my antibiotics for being GBS+ (I was able to take the heploc out right afterward which was nice to not have to worry about it). I think I went in to transition soon afterward when I was in the labor pool b/c the ctx were right on top of each other and really hurt (I think that was about 7:00PM). About an hour later I had the biggest urge to poop, so I got on the toilet and labored there for a while ... it was so frustrating b/c I had to go, but couldn't (what I realized after the birth is that I was almost ready to push, but thought it was poo!). DH suggested that I sit on the labor ball leaned over pillows on the bed and that was a great position. I still thought I had to poop, but couldn't and I also think I was kind of pushing at this point, but it was very gentle (but really burned!). I stood up to try to change positions when I realized that I felt like I had a watermelon b/t my legs and the m/w may want to come in to check me. She was getting ready to do an internal to see how far along I was when she realized I was crowning and no check was needed. I pushed for another 30 minutes and Seth Robert was born in to his daddy's arms at 9:30 PM. Seth was born with his hand up by his face, but I still managed not to tear (thanks to lots of great coaching by the m/w and warm compresses on my perineum). He weighed 7lbs 5.5 oz and was 21 inches long.

He's BFing really well and my milk has already started to come in (he's only 3 days old!). He does have lots of gas trouble, but I have been assured by the m/w that it should get better as my milk supply increases. He's absolutely beautiful. I'll try to figure out how to post pics a bit later. We're all doing really well, but are quite tired! Thank you for all the well wishes when my sister posted for me.

See less See more
#13 ·
Thanks for sharing. I live in TN and some of dh's relatives still dont have A/C dont know how they stand it. I had my ds at the Lisa Ross Birth & Woman center loved my mw's and the birth.

#21 ·
Thank you everyone! Seth is still a little turned around on his days and nights, but his fussiness has decreased a lot since my milk has come in (I think that makes the gas better).

Quote:
I had my ds at the Lisa Ross Birth & Woman center loved my mw's and the birth.
I was just down the road from the Lisa Ross Birth center at the Women's Wellness and Maternity Center (about 45 minutes from Knoxville). A girl in my Bradley class is at Lisa Ross and has absolutely raved about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.