Hand, Foot, and Mouth disease and pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-27-2006, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do I need to worry if my dd was potentially exposed to this? SIL's daughter (13 months) is in daycare, and supposedly it's going around, and SIL's dd has it. dh and dd saw them on Saturday. Ugh. We just got over a nasty stomach virus a couple weeks ago...I'd really rather not be sick with something else, especially so close to my due date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-27-2006, 09:26 PM

HFMD has been running rampant here in Singapore for the last few months. It's finally tapering off, though. I don't know about out there, but here in all the daycares, schools and anyplace with children's "classes" (i.e, Gymboree, etc.) the kids have to have their temp taken by the establishment before they're allowed in - if the child is running a fever, they are not allowed in.

As far was worrying, there's not much you can do about it now that your dh and dd have already been around it. So try not to get too stressed about it, mama! (I know, easier said than done) With that said....now that you *know* your niece has it, I would probably avoid her until she is well again.

I'm no expert on HFMD, but I think the only concern (that may affect your pg)is the fever, if it got out of hand. The sores are no picnic, but I don't *think* they will affect your pg or your babe (but obviously, I'd check with your care provider).

Sorry I couldn't be more help to you - - I guess all I can say is if you start to notice sores on yourself (or dd, dh), or a fever for any of you, call your provider to discuss it's possible effects for you/babe.

I know it's pretty contagious, but I've managed to avoid getting it myself, even with all of ds's activities, and playground trips. : So there's hope that you've dodged the bullet also! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you....:
#3 of 10 Old 06-28-2006, 11:25 AM

My kids had this a couple of months ago. I researched it, and couldn't find any risk to pregnancy. DH and I never got it so maybe we had it as kids and are immune. Anyhow, I wouldn't worry too much! The virus is a pain but relatively harmless.
#4 of 10 Old 06-28-2006, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Good to know, ladies. Thank you!! dh couldn't understand why I got so upset, but we've gotten countless colds from SIL's dd...it gets annoying, and I really don't want to be sick with anything this late in the game, you know?
#5 of 10 Old 06-28-2006, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hopefully your DD won't come down with it. Some cases can be really bad, others can be really mild. My DS had it a few weeks ago, but it was a mild case. He just ran a fever for about 2 days then about 2 days later had a blister-like rash on the soles of his feet. We were lucky that he didn't get any lesions in his mouth. All symptoms were gone in about 5 days and neither DH nor I were affected.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#6 of 10 Old 06-28-2006, 03:48 PM

Jumping in from August DDC but wanted to comment...

My ds had HFMD when he was about 15mos old and he had a very severe case, but when I was researching it said that by the time a child reaches 5 that the virus presents as a fever and a mildly sore throat. So, most adults can contract it from their children and just think they've come down with a little cold.

My young children generally have a more severe case presenting with fever, sore throat with sores in mouth, and the rash usually appears last and it's usually restrained to the limbs and trunk of the body (but normally appears on only feet/hands in mild cases.)

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#7 of 10 Old 06-28-2006, 05:38 PM

It must be going around! My nephew just had it here in MI. Do try to keep from getting it. You can't help that your daughter has been exposed, but stay away from niece. If you get it, it can be dangerous to a newborn if you then pass it to them. So I would take all precautions to keep everyone's immune systems up as you would during cold season, Vit C, handwashing, echinacea, lots of water, you know the drill.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#8 of 10 Old 06-29-2006, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

At what point would it be okay to be around SIL's dd? After the fever has been gone for 24 hours?
#9 of 10 Old 06-29-2006, 12:51 PM

After the rash is healed, but the incubation period is 3-6 days, so others could have it prior to having a rash.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#10 of 10 Old 06-29-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emgremore
After the rash is healed, but the incubation period is 3-6 days, so others could have it prior to having a rash.
I would wait at least a week.

My children all just had it right before Easter. My grandmother ended up getting 2 weeks AFTER they had been cleared by the dr. to be around others.

She had such a severe case that she ended up hospitalized. (She is 85yr)

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page