6 hours in the hospital.....crappy day.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So yesterday just stank. I went in for my normal midwife appointment, and she did all of the standard stuff. It was my 39 week appointment, so it was just pretty much all of the normal, okay, let's see if you make it back next week kind of appointment. And then she checked the babies heart rate. Hmmm. 190 is a bit high. So, she set me up on some monitors to see if it just jumped up because she had been feeling for her head and everything. Well, this little girl stayed up at 180-190 for the entire monitoring. So, I was sent over to our local hospital, to see why her heart rate was so high and to see if maybe I was dehydrated (I knew I wasn't). I get over there, and they set me up on the monitors and everything, and her heart rate was at around 170 then, but it eventually went down to 150's and finally she dropped down to 130's. Not until of course she kicked me for a few hours REALLY hard at that monitor. Then, they finally got a hold of one of the midwives, and told them that the heart rate was down, but that they had to place the monitor really high up on my stomach to get it. So the midwives wanted them to feel for babies position. The nurse thought she felt her head up, and she actually had me feel it, and I DO understand why she probably thought that. Right under my left rib, and it was quite a bit more wobbly than a butt usually is, so I agreed that she may have flipped. Well then they wanted to do an u/s and check her positioning as well as the amniotic fluid levels. So we did that, and she either never was breech, or flipped over the course of the next couple of hours that I had to wait for the u/s to be open, cause she was vertex at that point. My AF was pretty high, but not in a danger zone. I was just warned to watch out for a prolapsed cord if/when my water breaks outside of the hospital. And finally, I was sent home. But it took them 6 hours to accomplish the above!

It wasn't terribly scary, it was just long and frustrating, and we usually ended up getting our information by listening to the nurse when she talked to the midwife on the phone (eavesdropping from our room!) and then maybe she would get a chance to walk in and tell us real quick after about 30-45 minutes and have to rush out again. It could have been a much shorter visit. They lost my u/s results, they forgot to get me any food with everyone else on the floor so I was STARVING, and I had to sit there and hold the monitor down on my stomach cause she kept moving around and there didn't seem to be a spot that you could just leave it down for. ARRGGGHHH.

Well, that's all. Thanks for letting me vent!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 11:21 AM

That sucks I'm sorry, but glad to hear everyones ok. I cant believe no one offered you food! I would have demanded it. Of course hospital food is never very tasty anyway. So, maybe they were doing you a favor.
#3 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 11:39 AM

wow. I would have hated to be in the hosp that long. especially without something to eat. they probably did it on purpose just in case they wanted you to deliver. the hospitals seem to think that laboring women don't NEED food for energy during labor.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#4 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebsMama05
the hospitals seem to think that laboring women don't NEED food for energy during labor.
:

I did have one sweet nurse when i was in early labor with baby #3 that snuck me a roast beef sandwich

I was thinking the reason they dont like you to eat is just in case you have to have general anestesia (sp?) ????

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#5 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I was thinking the reason they dont like you to eat is just in case you have to have general anestesia (sp?) ????
I believe that's the general rule, but this particular hospital let's laboring mom's eat whatever they want, UNLESS they get to the point where they get an epidural, but you are allowed to eat up until the drugs are in your body. As soon as that happens, you are cut off from food.

They told me that they just forgot to tell them that I was staying for that long, and since I was never officially admitted, I wasn't on the 'tray list' for the hospital food. I am probably better off, one of the nurses did sneak me something pretty tiny, but it didn't even take the hunger edge off! Ah well, it's all done and over with now!
#6 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 12:32 PM

Oh, I completely feel for you. I was also in the hospital for a few hours yesterday & it was long & frustrating & I do not want to be back on those monitors ever. I was also starving. DH actually went home & made me a peanut butter sandwich & it was the best sandwich ever! Glad everything turned out to be ok for you.
#7 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_chick
Oh, I completely feel for you. I was also in the hospital for a few hours yesterday & it was long & frustrating & I do not want to be back on those monitors ever. I was also starving. DH actually went home & made me a peanut butter sandwich & it was the best sandwich ever! Glad everything turned out to be ok for you.
How did everything go for you? I know that you were having a lot of contractions after your accident, is everything okay?
#8 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabbathD
How did everything go for you? I know that you were having a lot of contractions after your accident, is everything okay?
Thanks for asking! The contractions seem to have gone down to the regular BH ones I am used to & the cramping is almost gone. My MW told me to send the kids away for the night & take a Tylenol PM. I did & it really helped. I think it is the first time I slept through the night in over 2 months! I have a regular appt tomorrow so they can just recheck me then & make sure everything is ok. Hopefully we will all be able to stay away from the hospital for a little while longer!
#9 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 04:11 PM

What a crappy day. Sorry they put you throught he wringer. Its nice to know, though, that she isn't breech. Are you doing exercises to keep her head down?

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#10 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 04:21 PM

I'm so sorry I hate hospitals, they seem to know nothing about the needs of women in labor.
#11 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 04:46 PM

Sorry you went through all that mama.
#12 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus.blossom
What a crappy day. Sorry they put you throught he wringer. Its nice to know, though, that she isn't breech. Are you doing exercises to keep her head down?
Yes yes!! Optimal fetal positioning......
#13 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 05:42 PM

That sucks! Six hours with no food!? That's crazy.
#14 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 08:15 PM

Yikes! So sorry 'bout your yucky day. So glad you're home now!
#15 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_chick
Thanks for asking! The contractions seem to have gone down to the regular BH ones I am used to & the cramping is almost gone. My MW told me to send the kids away for the night & take a Tylenol PM. I did & it really helped. I think it is the first time I slept through the night in over 2 months! I have a regular appt tomorrow so they can just recheck me then & make sure everything is ok. Hopefully we will all be able to stay away from the hospital for a little while longer!
That is wonderful!! I am glad that you got a good nights sleep, but you better cherish that one while you can!!
#16 of 16 Old 06-28-2006, 09:18 PM

Glad everything is ok!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page