Labourade and other things to eat/drink during labor? - Mothering Forums
July 2006 > Labourade and other things to eat/drink during labor?
SabbathD's Avatar SabbathD 02:50 PM 06-28-2006
I can't remember who for the life of me posted a recipe for labourade, but I can't find it. Can someone point me in the right direction? Also, does anyone have a list of what types of foods they found that they wanted to eat whilst in the throws of labor? I am trying to determine what to bring to the birthing center, and I just can't come up with any ideas! Any help/idea's would be GREATLY appreciated!

turtlemama77's Avatar turtlemama77 02:54 PM 06-28-2006
I don't know about the labourade, but am interested in this also!

The last time I labored, the hospital served a "liquid" lunch, which I believe was chicken broth, jello...and I think toast, and juice. I remember eating a few bites of toast and drinking the juice. This time around the hospital discourages eating during labor (haha, they said I could have jello when I pressed the issue), so I'm smuggling in crackers and granola bars. Overall I wasn't hungry during labor last time, but I was induced and it went really fast. I'm hoping to go unmedicated totally this time, and I could see being hungry if it takes hours and hours.
SabbathD's Avatar SabbathD 02:57 PM 06-28-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemama77
I don't know about the labourade, but am interested in this also!

The last time I labored, the hospital served a "liquid" lunch, which I believe was chicken broth, jello...and I think toast, and juice. I remember eating a few bites of toast and drinking the juice. This time around the hospital discourages eating during labor (haha, they said I could have jello when I pressed the issue), so I'm smuggling in crackers and granola bars. Overall I wasn't hungry during labor last time, but I was induced and it went really fast. I'm hoping to go unmedicated totally this time, and I could see being hungry if it takes hours and hours.
Oooohh there's always room for J-E-L-L-O!!! I may have to bring some of that.....
UnskulinMama's Avatar UnskulinMama 03:28 PM 06-28-2006
We're allowed to eat at the hospital (actually, the nurses said to me... "You're a midwife patient, so you can eat whatever you want. If you're an OB's patient, welll... they sort of have their own set of rules."). I would bring food and eat it if I was hungry even if I *wasn't* allowed, but anyway...

Supposedly they have a few things available, juice/fruit/cookies, but just in case they were gone (it's an open kitchen)... Things I threw in my bag: Trail mix (yogurt covered raisins, plain raisins, peanuts, cashews, m&ms, lol), a box of nutrigrain-type bars, gum, & two small bottles of juice. Don't know if I'll be hungry for any of it, but it can't hurt to have it around. Jello sounds gooood. Mmm.
ice_chick's Avatar ice_chick 05:04 PM 06-28-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnskulinMama
Things I threw in my bag: Trail mix (yogurt covered raisins, plain raisins, peanuts, cashews, m&ms, lol), .

Yum! I am going to have to make me some of that!
lotus.blossom's Avatar lotus.blossom 05:07 PM 06-28-2006
I have packed some trail mix (almonds/cashews/dried cherries/pineapple/cranberries) and a few luna bars. I've also thrown in several packets of emergenC and I might throw in some hard candy or tootsie pops for enjoyment. They have a mini kitchenette at the birth center so I'll probably have my mom make me some real food for afterwards. I don't know if I want to eat the hospital food that they have available.

As for laborade- I have the recipe in one of my books. I'll check it out and post it. It sounded nasty to me.
momsmyjob's Avatar momsmyjob 05:23 PM 06-28-2006
I ate yogurt during my last labor.
TanyaS's Avatar TanyaS 06:02 PM 06-28-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pi
Ditto on the cal/mag.

Re: during labour, I haven't had a chance to try it yet for effectiveness, but in my package from the midwives clinic was a recipe for "Labourade" which involves equal parts honey and lemon juice (I think 1/3 cup each), a little bit of baking soda (1 tsp), enough water to make 2 litres (8 cups) and then you add the contents of a cal/mag supplement. You can drink it as a liquid or freeze it as pops.
This was posted by ~pi in a reply to the leg cramps thread. Someone had mentioned leg cramps in labor and so she posted the labourade recipe for leg cramps in labor.
sunshinestarr's Avatar sunshinestarr 06:44 PM 06-28-2006
:
lotus.blossom's Avatar lotus.blossom 07:36 PM 06-28-2006
That sounds like the recipe I had. To me the baking soda sounds icky! Unless you really can't taste it......
momsmyjob's Avatar momsmyjob 09:02 PM 06-28-2006
I think I'll stick with the Emergen-C. I think the BS sound icky too.
Yin Yang's Avatar Yin Yang 09:39 PM 06-28-2006
Why baking soda though?
Quagmire's Avatar Quagmire 10:23 PM 06-28-2006
Mmmm... trail mix

Wonder if the baking soda "activates" the calcium/ mag?

I'm doing Gatorade I think. What is emergen-c? My midwife suggested recharge too...
Still_Snarky's Avatar Still_Snarky 11:21 PM 06-28-2006
I just went and did a labor shop today (I think I may be in very early labor) and I got canned and fresh fruit, eggs, yogurt, some popsicles, ramen (which I *never* buy now that we've gone organic and half & half for the midwife's coffee. I have recharge and emergen-c stocked up. I figure if I'm in desperate need of something else I'll have someone go to the store for me; it's about a 1/4 mile away.
ndmom's Avatar ndmom 01:58 AM 06-29-2006
Just got the Labourade recipe from my doula..doesn't sound too yummy..
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup honey
1/4 tsp salt
2 cal/mag tablets, crushed
Water to make 4 cups
Mix and freeze

I think Jello sounds pretty good..maybe the gelatin free kind though
sunshinestarr's Avatar sunshinestarr 08:26 AM 06-29-2006
labourade recipe..

I don't know.....
MsGrizzle's Avatar MsGrizzle 10:48 AM 06-29-2006
Quote:
Just got the Labourade recipe from my doula..doesn't sound too yummy..
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup honey
1/4 tsp salt
2 cal/mag tablets, crushed
Water to make 4 cups
Mix and freeze
Think I'll stick with the "Trader-Ade" I bought from Trader Joe's!

My midwife recommends Recharge but I couldn't find it anywhere around here.
SabbathD's Avatar SabbathD 12:45 PM 06-29-2006
Yup, I opted for Gatorade instead.
TattooedMama's Avatar TattooedMama 03:15 PM 06-29-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabbathD
Butting in here... (DDC 1.07)
Mmmmm. Gatorade.
You should count on NOT feeling like eating so pick things that when other people want to force feed you, you think you can tolerate. Imagine that you have the flu. That's the kind of food you'll want. Soup, pudding, toast, popcicles, sorbet...
Not crunchy things that require a lot of chewing....
Best wishes!!!!
SabbathD's Avatar SabbathD 08:22 PM 06-29-2006
Hi Jessica!! I picked out chicken broth, applesauce, and a few other soft type foods, and then some almonds and a few power foods like that. I love toast.....mmm....God I love food! (Call me sometime!!)
cjcolorado's Avatar cjcolorado 02:18 AM 06-30-2006
Just wanted to say that Emergen-C, a banana, a popsicle and jello were all I cared for during labor (8 hrs). After awhile the smell of the Emergen-C reminded me of bird vitamins, so I just stuck to cool water. As a pp mentioned, I had brought granola bars, some nuts, and was offered some crackers and other things in the hospital--but I really didnt' want anything crunchy or 'texturey' at all. Just sugar...good ol' sugar!
batsoup's Avatar batsoup 01:26 PM 06-30-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabbathD
My midwives strongly caution against Gatorade -- that it's too much for your system to handle. They suggest Recharge; my Bradley teacher votes for Pedialyte and Emergen-C.
Up